Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anae
Apr 23, 2008
As soon as I get rid of this lovely cold (mixing splits my head), I'll record and post up a drum n bass mix too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Jerky Beef Kong posted:

Please add tracklist soon - I need some of these songs now. Is there no mixer in that setup?

I added what I could figure out yesterday while at work. Will have to fill in the blanks by going back through my traktor playlist at home.

There is a mixer (a DJM-800) in that setup, between the turntables, you just can't see it from that angle. It's directly underneath where my laptop is

God drat I have long skinny fingers :v:

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch
CHAPTER 05 - The Metaphysical Claims Of Religion Are False [Electro-House]
:-----: 75,7 Mb - 41:12 :-----:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/59708821cb02986e/
Todd Terry - Play On feat. Tara MacDonald - (Eddie Thoneick Remix)
Costello - Girls Speak Louder - (Donique Remix)
Spencer & Hill, Felguk - Fingertips - (Spencer & Hill Mix)
Elite Force - No Turning Back - (Mowgli & Solo Mix)
Francis Preve, Wolfgang Gartner - Yin - (Original Club Mix)
Jean Elan - Shake Me - (Elan's Club Mix)
Detect - Dance Division (Blende Remix)
Jorge Martin S. - Heat - (Player & Remady Remix)
Wolfgang Gartner - Clap - (Original Mix)
Atlantis Ocean - FM Hindrances - (Original Mix)
His Majesty Andre - Peep Thong - (Original Mix)
Scotty - The Black Pearl (Dave Darell Remix)
Smokecream, JF - Retox - (Wendel Kos Remix)
Juan Kidd, Felix Baumgartner - Now You're Gone feat. Lisa Millett - (Club Mix)
Richard Grey, Erick Morillo, Jose Nunez - Life Goes On feat. Shawnee Taylor (Original Mix)

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I love that track Peep Thong. Bought it a while back. My favorite part is how they literally wrote a measure of music and then used effects on it for four minutes with the occasional addition of disco strings. Its so drat easy to mix!

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Yeah, His Majesty Andre never does anything interesting with his production, but he always has a great loop going

He has another one called NRG 555 (I think) that's killer

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 7, 2009

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Shoodz, your mix got pretty weak when you tried to mix in that pirates of the caribbean track too early. You shouldn't have mixed it in until the drop, the intro is really underwhelming especially coming from peep thong, which bangs pretty hard. All in all I really like the mix though.

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch

Dopo posted:

Shoodz, your mix got pretty weak when you tried to mix in that pirates of the caribbean track too early. You shouldn't have mixed it in until the drop, the intro is really underwhelming especially coming from peep thong, which bangs pretty hard. All in all I really like the mix though.

Thanks man. Yeah I noticed that after hearing it again and you are completely right. The pirates track is, as far as I can hear, not beatmixable in it's intro so you have to either cut it there or mix it in before. It's a shame because, gimmicky as it is, it's quite a nice floor banger.

Thanks for the response!

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!
Alright, been tossing around the idea of actually putting something on here, decided I finally am. If you want to add me to the list:

PsysiX - NW Ohio (Toledo and Bowling Green area)- Electro/Fidget House and Dark Psytrance - http://www.myspace.com/djpsysix

Yea, it's an odd combination. I started with darkpsy and eventually tried doing fidget house on a whim and enjoyed it, so I do both now.

I'll have an electro set up here in a couple hours (getting it ready for upload) and a drkpsy one in a couple days.

EDIT: Alright, electro mix uploaded! http://soundcloud.com/djpsysix/electrix-1 May take a bit to load, it's FLAC. Feel free to download and share as well, just give credit to me and those who produced the tracks blah blah.

setlist posted:

Hardrox - Feel the Hard Rock (Up to no Good)(Heiko and Maiko Mix)
ZZX & Paul Anthony - GO!
Alex Schmitz - Beat Goes Boom
John Kennedy feat. Mr Eyez - Get Faded
Mightyfools - Eat the Drummer
Spencer & Hill - Flat (Dub Mix)
Jackmaster - Crack House Talk (Gigi Barocco Remix)
The Caesars - Jerk It Out (Dirty Disco Youth Remix)
Jak Z & Tom EQ - Killa
Blackfinger - UMF (HeavyFeet Remix)
Riddick - Roller Coaster (The Fidgitive Remix)
Felguk - Step on the Scene Part 2

EDIT 2: Darkpsy set up: http://soundcloud.com/djpsysix/audio-cide-2

setlist posted:

Para Halu - Domination (Through Controlled Minds)
Penta - Pigletango
The Nommos - Blood Sacrifice
Hyper Frequencies - Organix
Highcosmos - Madjik L25
PsyBird - Pluk
Highcosmos - Think About It
Kernal Panic - They Known About You
Horror Place - Melsh Dick
Zion Linguist - Mute
Horror Place - Computer Glitch
Psyside - What is the Magic Word
Paraforce - Devil's Death (Final)
Suria - Robot Teaser / Palex - The Riddle

SixOhSix fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 10, 2009

Woman IsA DangerCat
Feb 13, 2008

"You know that guy...that guy who isn't Brendan Fraser?"

"You mean Paul Gross?"

"Yeah....that guy."

A Quick Mix - 16min
1985! - Producer DJ thing from Canada

http://soundcloud.com/1985music/1985-quick-mix

Intro
Samsonite - 1985!
Untitled Something - 1985!
Hot Redheaded - 1985!
Power of Love (1985! Remix) - Huey Lewis and the News
https://www.thesixtyone.com/onenineeightfive

I DJ too. Here's to summer residencies!

Ummm...hardware....
For my stuff I use Ableton Live for live performances, Reason 4 for composition and Itch with the Vestax controller for DJ.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

ShoodZ posted:

Thanks man. Yeah I noticed that after hearing it again and you are completely right. The pirates track is, as far as I can hear, not beatmixable in it's intro so you have to either cut it there or mix it in before. It's a shame because, gimmicky as it is, it's quite a nice floor banger.

Thanks for the response!

Try using some effects if you have any. Artificially make a buildup and then drop the song. I'm not good at explaining effects, so just experiment and you'll figure out something good :)

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
you can mix anything into anything if you turn delay and reverb up to full it makes enough noise to get you out of any sticky situation

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Altoidss posted:

you can mix anything into anything if you turn delay and reverb up to full it makes enough noise to get you out of any sticky situation

If the goal is to create audience confusion or to showcase a lack of selection capability, then by all means wing it with FX. Otherwise, this is VERY bad advice and will ruin the flow of the set. If anything, it makes for an absolute dire trainwreck emergency move, so you can attempt to play it off as "yea, I meant to do that." The best method of action is to rehearse the set lineup to ensure that such a situation is not needed. A well constructed set won't need any sound collage because the tracks will flow off each other. What helps even more, is if you have the time, rehearse mixing your tracks independently off each other. This will help give you a feel of what in your set compliments certain tracks well, and will also help build an ear for knowing what will work just by knowing the structure of the tracks in your library.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

SixOhSix posted:

If the goal is to create audience confusion or to showcase a lack of selection capability, then by all means wing it with FX. Otherwise, this is VERY bad advice and will ruin the flow of the set. If anything, it makes for an absolute dire trainwreck emergency move, so you can attempt to play it off as "yea, I meant to do that." The best method of action is to rehearse the set lineup to ensure that such a situation is not needed. A well constructed set won't need any sound collage because the tracks will flow off each other. What helps even more, is if you have the time, rehearse mixing your tracks independently off each other. This will help give you a feel of what in your set compliments certain tracks well, and will also help build an ear for knowing what will work just by knowing the structure of the tracks in your library.

I agree on the effects. FX should never be used to cover-up transitions. I'd much rather hear some off-beats or a track simply drop out than hearing a DJ blasting tons of FX al off a sudden. That'll definitely get your crowd looking at you in a bad way.

I resent structuring a set beforehand though. Two main reasons: 1) it makes you completely unable to respond to the crowd and more often than not things you thought sounded great at home will sound only mediocre in a club, track and transitionwise. You can never really anticipate your crowd that well. 2) And maybe even more important, it makes DJ-ing extremely boring. What's the fun in simply repeating a process you've 100% thought up at home when playing in a club? "1:43 minutes untill I start in "random track", then I transition after 33 seconds and then I fade the other track out around 2:54." Making a pie-chart on the how and why of female caterpillar feeding patterns sounds like more fun to me.

The second part of your advice is very solid though and basically the exact opposite of structuring a set. Get to know your tracks, get a feel for them and soon enough you'll start to realize certain tracks might fit well together. Once you do DJ-ing becomes so much more fun and you'll never ever want to structure a set again. That way you also play a different set each time you perform, even though at least 50% of the tracks might be the same.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Rivfader posted:

I agree on the effects. FX should never be used to cover-up transitions. I'd much rather hear some off-beats or a track simply drop out than hearing a DJ blasting tons of FX al off a sudden. That'll definitely get your crowd looking at you in a bad way.

I resent structuring a set beforehand though. Two main reasons: 1) it makes you completely unable to respond to the crowd and more often than not things you thought sounded great at home will sound only mediocre in a club, track and transitionwise. You can never really anticipate your crowd that well. 2) And maybe even more important, it makes DJ-ing extremely boring. What's the fun in simply repeating a process you've 100% thought up at home when playing in a club? "1:43 minutes untill I start in "random track", then I transition after 33 seconds and then I fade the other track out around 2:54." Making a pie-chart on the how and why of female caterpillar feeding patterns sounds like more fun to me.

The second part of your advice is very solid though and basically the exact opposite of structuring a set. Get to know your tracks, get a feel for them and soon enough you'll start to realize certain tracks might fit well together. Once you do DJ-ing becomes so much more fun and you'll never ever want to structure a set again. That way you also play a different set each time you perform, even though at least 50% of the tracks might be the same.

I get what you are saying, but at the same time I really can't fault someone for practicing a set beforehand, especially if it is a really important gig. Also, it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to know exactly when and where two songs are going to match up, just that they are harmonically compatible and so on. No doubt the best advice in either case is knowing your tracks really well.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Ben and Stew posted:

I get what you are saying, but at the same time I really can't fault someone for practicing a set beforehand, especially if it is a really important gig. Also, it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to know exactly when and where two songs are going to match up, just that they are harmonically compatible and so on. No doubt the best advice in either case is knowing your tracks really well.

Yea, sorry if I didn't explain the one aspect enough, but it's primarily for this reason. It's to get a feel for how things should go with your set and make sure that transitions will work. If you're just planning every little detail out on the set beforehand then yea, you might as well just use the native input recording in Traktor. I usually just pick out a framework for the set, try things out beforehand, and then when performing live I'll flesh things out as I go.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Ben and Stew posted:

I can definitely understand why someone would practice a set for a very important gig. Yet I'd still advise them to try and add as much "live" decisions as possible, maybe even stepping away from the planned course entirely at times. That way you build confidence in your mixing and track-selection skills, which will make gigs a lot easier and a lot more fun. :)

Knowing your tracks is probably the most important (and most underrated) aspect of DJ-ing all together.

SixOhSix posted:

Yea, sorry if I didn't explain the one aspect enough, but it's primarily for this reason. It's to get a feel for how things should go with your set and make sure that transitions will work. If you're just planning every little detail out on the set beforehand then yea, you might as well just use the native input recording in Traktor. I usually just pick out a framework for the set, try things out beforehand, and then when performing live I'll flesh things out as I go.

Yeah, I do the same. I usually create a playlist of songs I feel like playing and that I think will work with the expected audience. I cram it full of tracks (sometimes 5 times more than I'll be able to play) and once I'm actually playing I let that playlist "guide" me. It sort of gives me hints as to what track to play next.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
download any of Umek's sets to see what I meant

effects aren't bad, in fact most people wouldnt even notice them when someone who knows what they're doing uses them (christopher lawrence or umek pop into mind)

an example of bad effects is Paul van Dyk's set at Trance Energy 2009, his entire set was basically overlaced with a flanger

Also I agree with everything Rivfader nand Ben & Stew said :)

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 13, 2009

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Speaking of practicing for important gigs...

I'm playing a small festival in Carthage, Missouri on May 23rd, and it would be splendid if one of you gentlemen or women would come and watch me play my set. There's one outdoor stage that will be primarily goa and psytrance, and then another indoor stage that will be more chilled out. From the looks of the flier, it's going to be and especially heady event :2012: :weed:

I am Dialectic Sines

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
new mix of trax I bought off beatport tonight. house 'n techno

http://www.zshare.net/audio/59947016b76662c8/

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
Here's what I played at Camp Apex on saturday night

Title: Shiranui - Nocturnal Apex
Link: http://soda.berkeley.edu/~rfm/Shiranui%20-%20Nocturnal%20Apex.mp3
Length: 50:21

Tracklist:

Part 1 (newer night psytrance)
1. Plasmotek - Gargamelized ["Lifted" - Mandala 2008]
2. Penta - BBQ ["Portuguese Abduction" - AuraQuake 2007]
3. Mubali - Artificial Freaks ["Shenanigans" - Trishula 2008]
4. Ajja - We Are All Aliens ["Psychogenica" - Synchronize 2008]
5. Etienne - Dark Magic (Meta remix) ["Ekstasis" - Acidance / Geo-Darkstar 2007]

Part 2 (classic goa-ish tracks)
6. Juno Reactor - Feel The Universe ["Beyond The Infinite" - Various Labels]
7. Infected Mushroom - Tommy The Bat ["The Gathering" - YoYo 1999]
8. Hallucinogen - Gamma Goblins part 2 ["The Lone Deranger" - Twisted 1997]
9. 1200 Micrograms - Hashish ["1200 Micrograms" - TIP World 2002]

Encore (random fullon track I felt like playing because I had time left in my slot)
10. Psysex - Alien Cop (Goblin rmx) ["Nu-Clear Visions Of Israel" - TIP World 2003]

Counterlogic
Mar 31, 2006
A young pathfinder with too much on his mind.
Recorded first take in Ableton Live 8 after coming home to chill with some good old (and wild trancers I might obligatorily add . . ) after I stopped by the Above&Beyond show with them last week. Oh Oceanlab, waves of nostalgia and illicit chez (queso . . . cheese ... ... trance leads and sexy female vocal classic touch!) poured into my being and the essence inspired me to go home and just play and record. [[ Note: Inspired action to mix/DJ, and in no way meant from a musical perspective of the term... ;) ]]

Any feedback would be greatly welcome, I feel I'm finally getting better at this shindig and not in the "hooray I hosed up less tonight" way or equally as annoying technological disaster nights I felt one too many times initially after switching to Ableton for DJing last year.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Right-Click and Save Link As...) [320kbps] {{{{Length: 01:17}}}

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Counterlogic posted:

Recorded first take in Ableton Live 8 after coming home to chill with some good old (and wild trancers I might obligatorily add . . ) after I stopped by the Above&Beyond show with them last week. Oh Oceanlab, waves of nostalgia and illicit chez (queso . . . cheese ... ... trance leads and sexy female vocal classic touch!) poured into my being and the essence inspired me to go home and just play and record. [[ Note: Inspired action to mix/DJ, and in no way meant from a musical perspective of the term... ;) ]]

what

the

gently caress

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

what

the

gently caress

ahaha his post is ridiculous but those are some pretty good tech/prog tracks. ill check it out later

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Vernacular posted:

ahaha his post is ridiculous but those are some pretty good tech/prog tracks. ill check it out later

(original mix)

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

TheWevel posted:

(original mix)

hey man don't hate the original mix

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
it's just funny seeing that many original mixes...i would have just left it off since there were only 2 remixes.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
yeah well thats what happens when you have nostalgia poured into your being, and the essence takes hold

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
i just don't understand how you can only play 13 tracks in 77 minutes but that might be cause my genre of music doesn't lend itself well to long mixes

i get bored if I let more than one break per track play

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

yeah well thats what happens when you have nostalgia poured into your being, and the essence takes hold

ahahahaha

this, this is the poo poo that djing really need to get away from.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

This thread is full of essence

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Threatis posted:

ahahahaha

Are you suggesting djing needs to get away from drugs?
whoa.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

TheWevel posted:

it's just funny seeing that many original mixes...i would have just left it off since there were only 2 remixes.

I may well be misunderstanding but are you saying you wouldn't bother with a mix that only has 2 remixes?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Anae posted:

I may well be misunderstanding but are you saying you wouldn't bother with a mix that only has 2 remixes?

No I was talking about the graphic itself...he should have just left off the "(original mix)" after each song on the list.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

Threatis posted:

ahahahaha

I too hate when people get excited about music

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

TheWevel posted:

No I was talking about the graphic itself...he should have just left off the "(original mix)" after each song on the list.

Ah. I thought it may be something else. Was just too astounded at the other alternative not to ask.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Altoidss posted:

i just don't understand how you can only play 13 tracks in 77 minutes but that might be cause my genre of music doesn't lend itself well to long mixes

i get bored if I let more than one break per track play
Can everyone shut up about this I think it's been well-established that trance mixes tend to be long.

Counterlogic
Mar 31, 2006
A young pathfinder with too much on his mind.
There's no trance in there lol, I was tired out of my mind when I wrote whatever I did there too lol. As for the original mix thing, it's purely because of the naming convention I use when organizing all my tracks, just copied all the filenames from explorer into the tracklist/graphic template I started sometime back in Gimp.

P.S. I hope everyone realized whatever craziness I wrote about essence and stuff or whatever was sarcasm in relation to just having got back from a ridiculous trance act, but I suppose that didnt come across loud and clear?! Whatever, thanks for looking/listening regardless.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Counterlogic posted:

P.S. I hope everyone realized whatever craziness I wrote about essence and stuff or whatever was sarcasm in relation to just having got back from a ridiculous trance act, but I suppose that didnt come across loud and clear?! Whatever, thanks for looking/listening regardless.

Yeah, we're kind of dicks.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

stun runner posted:

I too hate when people get excited about music

yes, thats exactly what I'm talking about! you sure pegged me stun runner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Going to give Counterlogics mix a listen tomorrow-ish.

In the meantime though:

Riv - Atmosphere (Layer One)

Genre: Prog/Techno
Duration: 1h14m
Info: 320KB/s / 170 MB

Downloadlink: Click! (right-click, save as)

Tracklisting

Kid Dub, Cozzy D, D Dub - Genesis (Audiofly X Remix)
Gorge - Bambossa (Original Mix)
Christian Sol - Lepton (Pistolpuma Remix)
Spektre - Neon Drift (Original Mix)
Logiztik Sounds & Audiobill - Paranoid Call (KOS Remix)
Spartaque - Fake Crisis (Original Mix)
Noir - Ragnarok (Shin Nishimura Remix)
Undo & Vicknoise - Submarino (Paul Kalkbrenner Remix)
Autistic - My Technique (Alex Di Stefano Remix)
Pig & Dan - Micro Kitchen (Original Mix)
Len Faki - Death By House (Original Mix)
Autistic - Digiland (Max Bett Remix)
Workidz & Randall - Fierceness (Original Mix)
Paul Kalkbrenner - Altes Kamuffel
Outro: Paul & Fritz Kalkbrenner - Sky & Sand

Starts off slow then speeds up after about 20 minutes. Gets pretty loud in the end.

Comments and feedback appreciated.

• Locked thread