Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Yo, I'm based out of Denver, a former Beatport employee, and I play downtempo, hip-hop, and house in addition to techhouse and techno. I'm a pseudo-resident at club Beta here in town (owned by one of the founders of Beatport hence the name of the upstairs room is the Beatport Lounge)

When I have a few mins I'll make a post aggregating all the previous sets I had posted in the previous thread (all the links are still working)

edit: also I'd suggest linking to the "weapon of choice" thread in the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

mingster posted:

yeah i'll def alter that if i do this live sometime. i think the best part is that deep house section that blends osborne and metro area 26 minutes in; id rather listen to that blend than either of those tracks individually, which is pretty much the standard i try to keep to when i'm working on mixes. it's pretty weak to use ableton if you're just playing a song out for three minutes followed by a 20 second crossfade, so i try to keep mine as complex as possible (there's only about five minutes of material that is allowed to play solo without some blend). you may also note the entire thing is harmonically mixed so there isn't any major dissonance, and generally follows the circle of fifths in terms of key progression. the track list/order/timing took me about a week to work out.

What up fellow harmonic mixing buddy :hfive:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

People on youtube are really loving stupid. Lee Burridge never remixed Mushrooms

edit: It's like folks claiming Delerium - Silence was written by Paul Oakenfold.

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 10, 2009

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

How can you be so angry when your mixes are so chill (make a new one please)

lol fair enough :)

I'm doing the chillout room for a valentines day party so that'll likely be the next mix I post up

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 12, 2009

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Repost of my most recent mix from the last thread:

Happy New Year! Here is my set from last night in the Beatport Lounge for NYE. I'm really happy with how this turned out, mostly because I was able to play a diverse range of music over the course of ~3 hours and make it somehow cohesive as a set.

http://www.dancemusicboard.net/music/bones-live_at_the_beatport_lounge_nye-2008-12-31.mp3

Total runtime: 2hrs 40mins

Tracklisting:
[0:00:00] Squarepusher - Iambic 5 Poetry
[0:05:26] Telefon Tel Aviv - Sounds In a Dark Room (feat. Lindsay Anderson)
[0:13:13] Aim - Northwest
[0:18:08] Noel Zancanella - Lovely (feat. Surpass Flavor)
[0:21:53] Massive Attack - Black Milk
[0:26:13] Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground (The Umbrellas of Ladywell Mix #2)
[0:30:01] Lemongrass - Come With Me
[0:34:01] Headnodic - Now A Daze (Instrumental Mix)
[0:36:41] Southside Breaks Crew - Right Here
[0:42:27] Krafty Kuts & A Skillz - On Your Own (feat. Cathy Burton)
[0:47:23] Roy Ayers - Everybody Loves The Sunshine (The Amalgamation of Soundz Remix)
[0:51:15] Headnodic - The Drive (Instrumental + Original Mixes)
[0:55:42] Flash Track 6 - Wasn't Worth My Time
[1:00:22] Harvey Lindo - The Here And Now (feat. Tableek & Hanif from Maspyke)
[1:02:38] Medway - The Slow Bassline Track
[1:07:10] The Orb - Mother Nature
[1:11:21] Flying Lotus - SexSlaveShip
[1:13:12] Boards Of Canada - Happy Cycling
* Gorillaz - Dirty Harry (Acapella)
[1:20:21] Giant Panda - Smooth (Instrumental + Original Mixes)
[1:24:09] Colossus - The What? (feat. G-Off)
[1:27:50] King Britt - Stay Free (feat. Grand Agent) (Instrumental + Original Mixes)
[1:31:46] Cosmic Rocker - Fred On Drums (Matthew Bandy's 16bit Mix)
* Lyrics Born - Calling Out (Acapella)
[1:36:41] Stereo MC's - Connected
[1:40:07] EPMD - So Wat Cha Sayin'
[1:44:23] The Jazzual Suspects - Funkin Koobad
[1:48:22] Erik Sumo - Just A Woman (Inverse Cinematics 'F--k My F--king' Remix)
[1:53:15] Crazy P - Lie Lost (Hot Toddy Dub Mix)
[1:58:15] Spooky - Something's Got To Give
[2:03:38] Rare Influence - Take Me With You (Asad Rizvi Remix)
[2:11:23] Daft Punk - Around The World (I:Cube Remix)
[2:16:09] Justin Martin - My Angelic Demons
[2:21:40] Robert Babicz - White Series
[2:27:48] KiNK - Get Nervous
[2:33:13] Basement Freaks - Type Of Sculp (Inverse Cinematics Remix)
[2:37:42] Trevor Loveys - The Crossing

FYI that Spooky track at the 2hr mark is from 1993. Guerrilla Records reprazent!

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Index of all previously posted mixes of mine (in chronological order):

Winter Opus (A Downtempo Mix) (CUE) Done in early 2005. Studio Mix

Live at the Denver Art Museum (2007-03-30) - Downtempo (live performance with Ableton)

Live at Shelter (2007-05-04) - Opening for Miguel Migs & Lisa Shaw. House/Tech-House

Live at Vinyl (2007-11-16) - Opening for Miguel Migs & Petalpusher Band. House/Tech-House

Live at Beta - 2008-04-13. Opening for Miguel Migs (again lol). Downtempo/Hip-Hop/House/Tech-House

Live at the Denver Botanic Gardens (2008-05-03). Derby Party. Downtempo/Broken Beat

...I'll add the rest to this post later

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 12, 2009

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

whats with all the reposts.

new thread, new poo poo, right?

Well the old thread will eventually disappear into archives, but all the links for previously posted mixes were still working. I figured I'd consolidate them here, although in retrospect maybe I should pull the tracklistings so it's not such a huge post.

New mixes only from here on out...

Notebook posted:

I didn't really dig the hip hop (or whatever it's called) in the beginning, but it smoothed out after that. This was really good. :hfive:

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 20, 2010

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

jonmitz posted:

:siren:Hey guys, I guess you all missed the part in the OP where it says to not post in this thread to update your entry on the list, instead to email me or PM (preferred). There are a lot of posts that are contentless (you can add your info when you post a mix but dont add a post with nothing but info about yourself) because you ignored this rule, so please stop doing it:siren:

I object to you classifying Denver as a "non-major" city :colbert:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

I wish more people here spun hip hop.

I think I will probably do a pure underground hiphop set at some point in the near future here. I play it a lot mixed in with downtempo and brokenbeats and other genres in the neighboring BPM ranges.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Sigmund Fraud posted:

I made an A/T thread without knowing this one existed, and was directed here.

This is a thread for people to post mixes. Where you actually want to be is probably the weapon of choice thread, where hardware/software/etc is discussed: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2694790

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Hi everyone. Here is my set from last Friday's Synaesthetix Afterhours party. I played the first set of the night, so there's a bit of everything here, covering the spectrum from dub and hiphop to acid house, with a lot in between. I hope you like it :)

http://www.dancemusicboard.net/music/bones-live_at_synaesthetix-2009-02-27.mp3

[0:00:00] MLO - Spike (Wagon Christ Remix)
[0:04:33] Sideshow - African Cherry
[0:08:10] Dolphin Boy - Shake Loose
[0:11:29] Cates&dpL - Fountain Maze
[0:14:17] Grammatik - Eternal Love Yet So Evasive
[0:21:15] The Ballistic Brothers - I Don't Know
[0:25:15] Boards of Canada - Peacock Tail
[0:29:41] Telefon Tel Aviv - TTV
[0:33:05] Sideshow - If Alone (feat. Paul St.Hilaire)
[0:37:28] Cottonbelly - Tempest Dub
[0:41:34] People Under The Stairs - Give Love A Chance
[0:45:42] Handsome Boy Modeling School - If It Wasn't For You
[0:50:17] Nightmares on Wax - 195lbs
[0:54:10] Depeche Mode - Only When I Lose Myself (Dan The Automator Remix)
[0:57:39] Dr. Octagon - Bear Witness
[1:00:23] Tom Tom Club - Love To Love You Baby (Tom Novy & The Gran' Flow Mix)
[1:04:13] Colossus - The What? (feat. G-Off)
[1:07:15] Giant Panda - Laser Ray (Instrumental + Original Mixes)
[1:12:07] Miguel Migs - Fire feat. Junior Reid (Cottonbelly Remix)
[1:16:44] Spaceflight Orchestra - Truer Than True
[1:19:27] Cates&dpL - Full Frontal
[1:22:52] Rithma - Sex Sells feat. Dan Boisseey (Nickodemus Remix)
[1:27:12] Jazzanova - Boom Clicky Boom Clack (Mr. Scruff Vocal Mix)
[1:31:13] Dub Submarine - Flying Telephone
[1:36:16] Ben Mono - Beatbox feat. Capitol A (Jesse Rose Remix)
[1:40:48] Oliver $ - The Greatest
[1:46:19] Audiojack - Jack The Keys
[1:52:05] Fabien Kamb - Loco 88
[1:57:21] KiNK - Wet feat. Rachel Row (Acid Mix)

P.S. The BoC in the middle there was a request from essaywhutman ;)

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 2, 2009

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

I would disagree with A&H gear being fragile. I've had my Xone:62 for years and it's suffered quite a bit of abuse and still works as solidly as the day I bought it.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

DOOKIE ROPES YO posted:

Bones - Your poo poo lately is as impressive as always. Good, solid, well-flowing mixes.

Cheers :) I should have another one coming up soon, I'm opening for Lee Burridge on Saturday so assuming I don't mess that one up too bad I'll post the recording of that.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

holy poo poo... good luck dude

also record that bitch

Thanks! Needless to say I'm super excited for the opportunity. Pretty much any time I get to play the main floor of Beta is awesome though. Nothing like being a the helm of a million dollar (rumoured) soundsystem :v: Last time I played the main floor there was during the DNC when I ended up opening for John Legend and Doug E Fresh (true story).

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Funktion One?

Yep :) There are four "dance stacks" in the four corners of the main floor, the only such configuration in North America. That poo poo thumps

edit: check out page two of this doc, talks about the install w/ pics: http://www.funktion-one.com/dl/files/1617.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RpdSDsHzMY

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 20, 2009

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Here is my opening set for Lee Burridge from this past Saturday. About 40 mins of downtempo/chill stuff, and then works its way into deep chuggy techy house. I definitely kept this one lowkey in order to give Lee a proper start. Starts around 70 bpm and ends somewhere around 121.

http://dancemusicboard.net/music/bones-live_at_beta-2009-03-21.mp3

[0:00:00] Milosh - Remember The Good Things
* Paul Woolford presents Bobby Peru - Society
[0:05:13] Bitter:Sweet - Dirty Laundry (Tom Middleton Balearic Remix)
[0:09:37] Ohm Square - Half The Girl
[0:13:34] Dadamnphreaknoizphunk - 1 Point 53 feat. Rafik
[0:16:53] Grammatik - Dreams About Her
[0:21:56] People Under The Stairs - Welcome To The Party Life
[0:25:20] The Ballistic Brothers - Mystery of Ballistic
[0:29:01] A Tribe Called Quest - Electric Relaxation
[0:32:15] Flying Lotus - Camel (Nosaj Thing Remix)
[0:34:43] Josh Wink - Higher State Of Consciousness (Deep & Slow Mix)
[0:40:33] Milton Jackson & Droido - Dis Is Jaz
[0:46:25] Âme- Tonight (Dub Version)
[0:52:42] IMPS (Minilogue & Decoy) - Almost Live But Definitely Plugged (Move D Remix)
[0:58:49] Håkan Lidbo - Fotsvamp
[1:03:37] The Lost Men - Pace Of Mind
[1:10:05] Steve Lawler - Distrait (Nick Curly & Gorge Remix)
[1:15:39] Matt Flores - Went 2 The Future
[1:20:05] Lincoln Six Echo - Gillian Asks: Are You Sure?
[1:24:44] Adultnapper - Other People
[1:29:58] Stereotyp - Take The Weight (Peter Kruder Dub Mix)
[1:36:32] Pezzner - Chapter Two
[1:42:16] Milton Jackson - Backwards Disco

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 25, 2009

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

this set was excellent!

Exactly the kind of poo poo I'd wanna hear watching a club filling up while having a drink. Smooth as gently caress, good job!

Pictures from the night by a local professional photographer: http://tr.im/hNpI I love the third picture where Lee is like :iamafag: and I'm all like :smug:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

drat from the top down that club looks JUST like the one in Human Traffic!

gently caress those watermarks

edit: drat some nice chicks in your area, poo poo

You know, that never occurred to me but you're totally right. It's been forever since I've seen that movie. And yeah the photographer doesn't like using the watermarks either but if he puts them in the corner, people just crop them out and attempt to pass his work off as their own.

Notebook posted:

I've gotta agree. Everything put out by vanilla slimfast is smooth molten gold.

Cheers :)

TheWevel posted:

hahaha what is the deal with this girl on the right:

http://www.justshootingconcerts.com/09_Concerts/3.21%20-%20Lee%20Burridge%20&%20Manufactured%20Superstars%20B-Day/album/slides/_DSC1624.jpg

Since we're talking about favorite Bones mixes...my favorite one is the one from the Denver Botanical Gardens you did last year. I still listen to that one pretty regularly.

Dunno, it was like she was trying to pose in the most awkward way possible or something.

RE: Botanic Gardens set...glad you dig it. This year's derby party is coming up soon, and I am excited to be playing out at the lily pond again this year so look for a recording of that set to be posted up in May.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Symptomless Coma posted:

It got me through my finals revision last year... I got to know it far too well. When "you've just killed James Bond (bond, bond, bond) came on, it was 25 minutes in and I could go stretch my legs.

...wait, is that creepy?

No, I know what you mean. I tend to listen to my past sets a lot to pick apart what I can do better, etc (hey, I'm a perfectionist). As a result, whenever I listen to or hear any tracks I've used in prior sets, I always hear how the next mix goes in my head.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

My April 2009 Downtempo chart at Beatport: http://tr.im/icVu

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

tylertfb posted:

some advice:

DO NOT,DO NOT, DOOOOOOOO NOTTTTTTT try to play 'psy-trance/trance/house' to a crowd expecting to hear top-40 and popular rap hits. Millions of DJs before you have tried that and it 100% a losing proposition. Nobody has a good time, not the bar owner, not the crowd, not you, the DJ. You will fail at this. People offer me these kinds of gigs from time to time and I am always tempted but always come to my senses and turn them down. Sorry, you're going to have to find another situation if you wanna play 'underground' dance music to a crowd. Try and befriend promoters who promote those kinds of parties/nights.

This. Stick to house parties if you want to play house techno trance whatever (especially psytrance). Bars will not go for this. I earned some extra money playing at a bar one summer during college and it was pretty much the worst thing ever. Any attempt to mix anything "technoish" in would immediately earn me a few visits from patrons of the bar asking for something they could "dance to." This was the summer that Crazy Town - Butterfly was really popular so I think I played that every weekend. :smith:

I gave up on attempting to do anything clever or interesting and would just bring a book with me and expend the least effort possible on actually mixing. Of course, it didn't help that the DJ booth was literally a small room wedged between the two bathrooms with a window that was barred like a prison, so I could just sit there unseen and be ignored.

If you are ok with dumbing down what you are playing for the sake of a gig and exposure, that's great. Just be aware of what you are getting yourself into or it will only lead to disappointment.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Somewhat on topic: Every year a message board I run does a "worst mix" competition. This year's entries are up, if you want to hear the hilarity. The main rule is that they have to be under 30 minutes long.

http://tr.im/ilSe

They're so bad they're good...maybe

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Altoidss posted:

Really??? He always draws massive crowds in LA when he shows up...

hey bones where is your avatar on DMB from? It's incredible. I feel like it has to be Robot Chicken but I could be wrong.

Yeah, Robot Chicken's second Star Wars special that aired a few months ago.

I'd use it for an avatar here too except it's loving huge for a gif (like 2mb or something). Someday I'll make one for myself here

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

thank you

I just couldnt do it this time

I thought about doing it too. Glad to see I'm not the only one

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 20, 2010

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Terrible Horse posted:

Caus when talking about music it helps to have an agreed upon vocabulary so this discussion doesnt come up every ten seconds. EDM is stupid. Dance music or even house should be enough

House, just like techno, is a specific genre of dance music. You wouldn't go around calling all dance music jungle or dubstep would you?

I know it's a bit pedantic but honestly these different genres have unique identities and histories

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

I wish more people here spun hip hop.

Ask and ye shall receive!

Here is my set from the Fox Theatre in Boulder, playing as one of the openers for Mark Farina touring for his new Mushroom Jazz CD. I played almost entirely underground hip-hop. Well, this is how a skinny white guy plays hip-hop, anyways.

The DJ before me was playing house at 120 bpm, so I worked my way back down to 95ish BPM before really settling in. I'll tell you one thing, playing this style of music on a rane rotary is tricky as gently caress :v: Don't mind the one or two slightly dodgy mixes.

http://dancemusicboard.net/music/bones-live_at_the_fox_theatre-2009-04-11.mp3

Tracklisting:
[00:00] Vincenzo - Kineo
[02:27] Thievery Corporation - Satyam Shivam Sundaram (Govinda Remix)
[06:22] Miss Kay Dee - For A Whole Night
[09:06] A Tribe Called Quest - Check The Rhime
[12:22] Kero One - Keep It Alive (Jazz Remix)
[15:03] People Under The Stairs - Youth Explosion (Instrumental + Original Mixes)
[19:37] Negghead - Gettin' So
[23:00] The Pharcyde - 4 Better Or 4 Worse (DJ Nu-Mark Remix)
[26:24] Thes One - Noonen (Original Mixes)
[30:41] Roots Manuva - Witness (Dub)
[33:46] Marco Polo - Nostalgia (feat. Masta Ace)
[37:51] Gang Starr - Full Clip
[40:44] DJ Cam - Voodoo Child (DJ Premier Remix)
[43:45] Latyrx - Lady Don't Tek No
[46:58] De La Soul - Buddy
[51:00] Osborne - Wait A Minute (Instrumental)

We had a really sick custom lighting setup on the stage, reminiscent of what Daft Punk was touring with last year. Check out the videos here (first two are of me): http://tr.im/iJDY

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

tylertfb posted:

speaking of beatport: If I add a track to my basket when it's brand new and at the higher brand new price ($2.99 or whatever) and then leave it in there for a month or so until the price drops to the normal price, will it automatically drop in my basket or do I have to re-add it to get the price-drop?

I'm pretty sure the price drop happens automatically. Same is true of stuff in your hold bin. The top-tier price is $2.49 for new, exclusive content. $1.99 for new, non-exclusive. $1.49 for general content/back catalog. Most labels that have exlcusivity have it for 4 to 8 weeks.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Rivfader posted:

This is silly. How can someone "just listen to what they like" without having any clue as to what it is they are actually listening to.

Say I were to hear a certain EDM song that I really liked, and say I would like to find more music like that song, then how would I proceed. Most obviously by looking up either a) that certain artist and delving deeper from there or b) finding out what genre that song is and continuing on from there.

I find exploring by label to be the most effective way of discovering new music I like. Lets say for example I'm just starting out and I hear this amazing track by Jimpster. If I do a bit of digging I will discover most of his stuff is on this label Freerange (which he runs), which has shittons of good music by other artists in a similar vein as well like Milton Jackson, Shur-I-Kan, etc.

Dance Move Burglar posted:

I think depending on what region you're in, some people might not even know what "house" is and are more likely to call it "trance"

This is part of the reason that there is some schizophrenia about genres on Beatport. The content team they have in Berlin has a different opinon on what classifies as house versus deep house vs techno etc as compared to the American team. What Americans traditionally think of as deep house is usually the jazzy, organic type stuff on a label like Om coming out of SF. Germans think of Deep House as the more minimalist stuff on labels like Drumpoet Community. It can be difficult to reconcile.

That's why I recommend discovery by artists and labels, not so much by genres. In fact, very rarely I will I even go hit genre landing pages looking for new music as I discover plenty by branching out from stuff I already know on a weekly basis.

P.S. I'm so glad they finally were able to get rid of the 100-item cap on "My Beatport" :v:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

I don't know about anyone else, but when I was first starting out, I found a lot of my music by looking at tracklistings of mixes, especially compilations and notable radio/live broadcasts like the essential mix. If you only play stuff that other people have already been playing, it doesn't make you a terribly clever or original DJ, but if you are just starting out, it's as good as any other starting point to branch out from.

Like Threatis, my early mix tapes were comically unsmooth in terms of programming and track flow. Finding and playing good music that meshes well together is a skill you are going to learn with experience and time, more than anything else. Trying to be too intellectual about it takes some of the fun out of discovery, IMHO. It is music after all, not rocket science :v:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Face down, rear end up, that's the way we like to gently caress

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

My set from the Monet Garden during the 2009 Kentucky Derby Party.

http://www.dancemusicboard.net/music/bones-live_at_the_denver_botanic_gardens-2009-05-02.mp3

Tracklisting

01. Doris Days - To Ulrike M (Tosca Baader Meinhof Remix)
02. Charles Webster - Sweet Butterfly
03. Dpek - Grey Tea (Grammatik's Green Tea Remix)
04. The Young Lovers - Last Goodbye
05. Beatmakin Troopa - Too Shy To Say Hello
06. Karen Gibson Roc - Painted Room
07. Erik Sumo - Do It Yourself
08. J-Boogie's Dubtronic Science - Sweet Music Dub
09. The Ballistic Brothers - Soho Cab Ride
10. Rocket Empire - Simmer Down Jammie
11. Kissey Asplund - Move Me feat. Soliloquy
12. Jazzanova - Keep Falling
13. The Young Lovers - How Lonely Does It Get?
14. Seelenluft - The Blue Tiger Family
15. Tosca - F--k Dub (Baby Mammoth Mix 1)
16. Thievery Corporation - Transcendence
17. King Kooba - If I Could
18. Tosca - Chocolate Elvis
19. People Under The Stairs - Jappy Jap
20. Hieroglyphics - The Who (A-Plus Mix)
21. The Pharcyde - Passin' Me By
22. Nightmares On Wax - Les Nuits (DJ Spinna Remix)
23. DJ Food - Consciousness (Ashley Beedle Cosmic Consciousness Remix)
24. Black Sheep - The Choice Is Yours
25. Mr. Scruff - Come On Grandad
26. The Herbaliser - The Real Killer

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 7, 2009

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Jerky Beef Kong posted:

Please add tracklist soon - I need some of these songs now. Is there no mixer in that setup?

I added what I could figure out yesterday while at work. Will have to fill in the blanks by going back through my traktor playlist at home.

There is a mixer (a DJM-800) in that setup, between the turntables, you just can't see it from that angle. It's directly underneath where my laptop is

God drat I have long skinny fingers :v:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

This thread is full of essence

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Here is my opening set for Miguel Migs and Lisa Shaw last weekend at Bar Standard here in Denver.

NOTE: There were some technical difficulties related to the mic setup, so Lisa ended up doing some of her sound check during my set. At about 2 hours into this recording, you can hear her doing the mic check a few times...she even did some brief ad-hoc harmonizing with "Sun Will Shine" during the chorus :)

Anyways, this is a pretty long set. They got a late start, so I ended up playing from open (9pm) to 12:30am, hence the 3.5 hour runtime. The first hour is pretty deep, but you can probably tell where I start to kick it into gear as the crowd filled in pretty quick. There are one or two rough spots in this mix, but overall I think it's pretty solid, especially given it's length.

Be aware, this file is pretty huge (325mb) so if you're low on bandwidth or disk space you might want to skip

http://dancemusicboard.net/music/bones-live_at_bar_standard-2009-05-30.mp3

Tracklisting

01. Phil Ranelin - Wife (Pieces of Detroit Mix by Prefuse 73)
02. Impossible Beings - Dois Polos
03. The Black Dog - Invisible Things (Original Mix)
04. Melchior Sultana - Maltese Nights
05. KiNK - Honey Beats (Crazy P & Schmoov Remix)
06. The Young Lovers - This Is What It's All About feat. Trevor Loveys
07. Slag Boom Van Loon - Sutedja (Four Tet Remix)
08. JeTricKs - Lose You feat. Ade Funke & Faye Houston (Lemongrass Deep House Mix)
09. Rithma - Map Point Baby feat. Mitch Manker (The Hue Remix)
10. 7b - Dr. Girlfriend
11. KiNK - Fish Feeling
12. Arnaud Le Texier, Emmanuel Ternois - Kemp Road
13. Veitengruber - Bon Melange (Liapin Remix)
---- 1 hour mark ----
14. Florian Kruse - Thrill feat. Saara (Vincenzo & Elmar Schubert's Satinsoul Remix)
15. David K - 73 Tomtom Avenue (Jimpster Mix)
16. Moodymanc - Snore
17. Will Saul & Tam Cooper - In & Out
18. Atnarko & Jevne - Get On Down (Roberto Rodriguez Remix)
19. Phonique - Teenage Love (Kevin Yost Dub Remix)
20. Shur-I-Kan - Simply Yes feat. Alexander East (Magik Johnson Remix)
21. The Disclosure Project - Friends For Tea
22. Terry Lee Brown Junior - Soul Digits (Harold Heath Remix)
23. Fred Everything, Olivier Desmet - Tonight
24. Chelonis R. Jones - Pompadour (Gorge Dub Mix)
25. Replika - Even Further (Pulaski Park Remix)
---- 2 hour mark ----
26. Studio Apartment - Sun Will Shine feat. Yasmeen Sulieman (MK Dub Mix)
27. Volta & Salvatore Freda - Bombolone
28. Harold Heath - Mercury Blues (Matt Masters Remix)
29. The Discowboys - To The Mountain Top (Two Armadillos Remix)
30. Mihai Popoviciu, Markus Homm, Jay Bliss - Bis Co
31. Brett Johnson - Stucco Homes
32. Secret Ingredients - Chicago Chicago
33. Till Von Sein - Ovas (Catz N Dogz Ohne FX Remix)
34. Ian Pooley - What I Got feat. Tim Fuller (Derrick Carter Dub)
35. Indart, Wally & Kucho - Comando Heaven
36. Joshua Heath - Something Else
---- 3 hour mark ----
37. Peace Division - Back 2 Back
38. Joris Voorn - Sweep The Floor
39. Lucas Keizer - Global Warming
40. Silicone Soul - Chic-O-Laa
41. Motor City Drum Ensemble - Raw Cuts 2

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Here is my opening set for "Evil" Eddie Richards in the Beatport Lounge last Friday night. This is probably one of the most techno-ish sets I've played in recent memory (especially compared to my set opening for Migs the weekend before).

Starts with about half an hour of quirky downtempo stuff, then some dubby heady techno and then some tech house and more techno. Total runtime is 3 hours.

Stream/DL: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-the-beatport-lounge-2009-06-05
Direct DL: http://dancemusicboard.net/music/bones-live_at_the_beatport_lounge-2009-06-05.mp3

Tracklisting:
[0:00:00] Humate - 3.3
[0:04:52] KiloWatts - Two Parts
[0:11:22] Beanfield - Planetary Deadlock
[0:15:32] Yppah - The Tingling
[0:19:01] DJ Spooky - Soon Forward
[0:24:01] Seelenluft - Auracar
[0:29:09] Model 500 - Starlight(Echospace Remix)
[0:37:27] Sian - Red Cloud
[0:43:06] Sei A - My Era
[0:48:17] Manuel Tur - Will Be Mine feat. Alexander East (12" Extended Mix)
[0:52:02] DJ Sprinkles - Grand Central, Part I (Deep Into The Bowel Of House) (MCDE Bassline Dub)
[0:58:10] Sloan - Gotta Use It (Gorge Remix)
[1:03:07] Ian Pooley - The Hippest Hip (Manuel Tur Rework)
[1:07:38] Audiofly, Alex Flitsch - Long Way To Go
[1:13:39] Burnski - Species
[1:20:35] Sasse - Break Up (The Timewriter Droit Up Remix)
[1:26:21] Veitengruber - Big Love
[1:32:57] Phonogenic - Blackwash
[1:38:08] F.E.X. - Can U Feel It (Dub Mix)
[1:43:18] Palm Skin Productions - Done (Shur-I-kan Remix)
[1:49:16] Slam - Positive Education (D'Julz Remix)
[1:55:06] Pezzner - Brooklyn New York (Justin Martin Remix)
[2:01:12] Tom Demac - Prima Donna
[2:06:38] Mark Henning - Monster
[2:13:30] Junior Boys - Hazel (Ewan Pearson's House Dub Mix)
[2:19:57] Reverse Commuter - Southern Charge
[2:25:52] Home & Garden - Domesticated feat. Derrick Carter (Pezzner Remix)
[2:31:49] Chelonis R. Jones - Pompadour (Gorge Dub Mix)
[2:36:58] Liapin - Mandan
[2:43:25] La Pena - Cheesecake
[2:48:51] Tom Demac - Three By Four

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

SixOhSix posted:

Hell yea, giving this a listen.

GozGunner posted:

Looks fantastic, you use a lot of tracks that I've picked up in recent weeks. That MCDE mix of Grand Central is my track of the summer thus far. DLing for sure.

Thanks guys, lemme know what you think :)

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

SixOhSix posted:

My only big complaint is there wasn't any transitional work on a couple of the tracks near the beginning

I think you are referring to the Yppah track that I played early on, which I filtered in and out of rather than mixing. It was not at the same tempo as the other slow stuff I was playing at that point in the night but I really wanted to hear it so I just shoehorned it in.

If you go through previous mixes I've posted in this thread you'll see that I do actually fluidly mix downtempo and midtempo in my sets, especially the longer ones, rather than doing Oakenfold crossfades :v:

Thanks for listening!

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

YesYesYall posted:

Check it out, an Old School mix I have just recently put together

I really like the look of this. Will definitely check it out at work tomorrow

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

The Shrink - Nervous Breakdown.

Check out Judge Jules Essential mix from 1999 for more of poo poo like this

Well spotted. Interesting to see Moby playing something like that now. I remember hearing that track a lot when I first started going to raves back in the late 90s

edit: I could name tons of similar ravey anthems from that era if people were interested

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Vernacular posted:

could you? i would love to know more tracks like these

Alright here are just a few "rave anthems" off the top of my head. These are the tracks I remember being big back around 1998-2002ish when I was going to lots of massives

Progress present The Boy Wunda - Everybody - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s18iPZzH8X0
Yomanda - Synths and Strings - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILow_zD9yHQ
Lock N Load - Blow Ya Mind - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF2oGNcwS-k
Azzido Da Bass - Doom's Night (Timo Maas Remix) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXBCspBsqsk&fmt=18
DJ Jean - The Launch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQkjM7wieto&fmt=18
Novy vs Eniac - Pumpin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDBhkU_8lF4&fmt=18
Bob Sinclar - Gym Tonic - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwhm8xgFBH0&fmt=18
Fatboy Slim - Star 69 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3x4S7ju-k4&fmt=18 (Timo Maas Remix of this one got a lot of play too)

You can probably find a lot more via the "related videos" in youtube. Check out labels like Positiva, V2, Multiplicity, Manifesto, hell even Hooj Choons, they were the big labels that carried all the anthems (a lot of times re-licensed from smaller labels)

• Locked thread