Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

Still looking for feedback on this one, it's about an hour long.

http://www.awesometownradio.com/altoidss/decembermix.mp3

Tracklist:
Kraak & Smaak - Squeeze Me (Trevor Loveys Remix)
Johnny Fiasco - Conduction (Santiago & Bushido Remix)
Adam Bozzetto feat. Killa B - I Can't Go (Scott Cooper Remix)
The Squatters feat. MC Duke - Bring Back the Duck
Liam Vizzle - That Banana Track (Hijack Remix)
Crookers - Chippin' It Up 4 A Killa (Trevor Loveys Remix)
Blatta & Inesha feat. Ask - Blow Up (Hijack Remix)
DJ Kue - 40's and Hoes (The House Moguls Remix)
AC Slater - Vertigo (Jaksaw Remix)
Electric Soulside - Pump It Up
The Bulgarian - Air Bounce
Chris James & Lee Dearn - Panic At The Bar Mitzvah
Mr. Pher - Gettoblaster (Defunct! Remix)
Mightyfools - Super Sexy (Lee Mortimer Remix)
3 Is A Crowd - Take It Back (2 Bit Thugs Remix)
Scott Cooper & Andy George - Piano Man
Chris James & Lee Dearn - Torcida Cumbia
Stama - Drunky Kitty (Electric Soulside Remix)
TJR - Atomic
Kaskade feat. Deadmau5 - Move For Me (Santiago & Bushido Remix)
Mystery Jets - Half In Love With Elizabeth (Foamo Remix)

Also - I want to fly, a while, so high, direction: sky!

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

jonmitz posted:

lol what

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMTI8vg7A5U gogogogo

quote:

I for some reason seem to meet a lot of people who think harmonic mixing is, seriously, the ONLY thing you should worry about while spinning

If that makes sense...

For me, getting the key of a song is just something I do to prep, like setting up cue points. I like improvising the song selections in my sets, but I also want all my mixes to sound as good as possible. The key just gives me more information on whether the songs will mix well.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
There's nothing really to "get" about dubstep, you either like it or not. I've really been getting into it lately.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

Halo posted:

Are you into four on the floor? I've always felt there was a huge divide between people who really like breaks and people who really like a straight beat. I'd of course agree that dubstep and D&B/jungle are in the same family, it's a funny thing though with dubstep is it's successfully marrying genres all the time. I feel like the style almost lends iteself to be influenced by any style, practically speaking. Sure this could be said about any music, but I think this is the first time I am very convinced. Twisty basslines, half-step techno and dub effects? Sign me up.

The funny thing about me is that I hate two-step breaks, but I LOOOOVE the half time feel of dubstep.

It kind of works with the fidget house that I play. They do share some elements (mostly the wobbly bass). I've been struggling recently over whether to start my sets with dubstep and move into house or start my sets with house and move into dubstep... I'm not really sure what would work better. I've heard people do both.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Good mixes everyone!

I've really broadened my style lately. While I used to only play house music, I'm now trying to incorporate hip hop, dubstep, and a host of other stuff for some variety.

My sets have now taken the form of starting off in dubstep territory, so 70-80 BPM, going up through hip hop and then to house, topping off at around 135. Now, the only problem is that dubstep is, as a rule, rather harsh and therefore not a very good sound to coax people onto the dancefloor.

So, in an attempt to solve that issue, I see two options:

The first is to start off with more "melodic" dubstep, like Caspa - Cockney Violin, which is nice but I like to start off with a bang.

The other option is to just jump straight into it. I recently found a song that works pretty well with "My Love" by Justin Timberlake, which I figure will get people out, and once they're dancing its much harder to lose them.

Here is the mix: http://www.tindeck.com/listen/vxmo. I'm not gonna play the whole of both tracks, but enough to provide context.

Now, what do you guys think about it? Is it too abrupt? Do you think playing such an intense song right after such a poppy one will drive people away?

Of course, I know a more usual set make-up is hip-hop ---> dubstep ----> house, but I hate the idea of slowing down during a set, at any time.

EDIT: The dubstep song I mix into is Nero - Night Thunder, if you were wondering.

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 25, 2009

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

TheWevel posted:

I think two things: 1.) The link is broken because of the period at the end. 2.) I think it sounds ok, as long as you're using it to bridge into something else and not playing the full 5 minute song. I would probably only go with 90 seconds of it at the most, but that's just me.

edit: maybe try it with an acapella over it

Using the second song as a bridge? I never dwell on any one song for longer than 2 or 3 minutes so I wouldn't be playing the whole thing anyway.

Also: I made sure that link worked like 5 times before I hit post -_- (also link snype: http://www.tindeck.com/listen/vxmo)

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
I might show up, vernacular.

I'm running into another problem with my mixes. I don't like to go into a set with a planned out list, but I'm simply getting too many songs right now to be able to select another song that sounds good and mix it in. What do you guys do to help ease song selection? I'm having trouble with my song pool and it's only 142 songs.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Dunno if this is the right thread for this, but is there some sort of "DJ yellow pages" where you can look up who's playing at what club in a city in the coming days? My cousin and I are going around Europe for a month this summer and I'd like to be able to see who's playing that night when we're in, say, Madrid or Paris.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
lol @ dis

Also, if anyone cares, I'm a lazy lazy man and haven't made a mix in a while but as soon as my Xone:22 comes out I'll do another one full of delicious new tracks

EDIT: I'm actually not sure if it's out yet or not! This needs some investigation...

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

ManoliIsFat posted:

And I feel you and other people if they don't feel like this is the place for harsh crits or big differences in opinion. I definitely see how that could stifle the gently caress out of this thread, but it can't JUST be a place for us to pat eachother on the back, right?

I think anyone who uploads their mix to the internet should be prepared to be harshly criticized. That counts for me as much as everyone else. If we turn this into a circlejerk instead of honest criticism it will be bad for all of us as DJs.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

look around kid

I am a kid but PLUR sure doesn't seem dead to me, it just looks like this now.

Second, I am (secretly) a huge psytrance fan so thanks for that mix dmb

Third, I have looked around all day and I still have no idea if the Xone:22 is released yet or not... and if so where I can buy one in LA? Turntable Lab and Guitar Center both don't stock em, and those are the only places I really know to look.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

Threatis posted:

what would happen if dubfire played and nobody came?

we found out in ottawa when he played to 6 people a few months ago.

Really??? He always draws massive crowds in LA when he shows up...

hey bones where is your avatar on DMB from? It's incredible. I feel like it has to be Robot Chicken but I could be wrong.

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 7, 2009

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Two things -

I say "techno" when talking about dance music as a whole when talking to average people who aren't really into the whole thing, cause that's what they say and it's easier to just go along with that.

Second -

Just how malleable are average bar crowds? I've never played at one but I feel like if you start out with something that will make people dance, you might be able to guide them a bit. The house music I play is pretty (really) poppy, so might I be able to get away with it if I say, start with Snoop Dogg Millionaire, then dubstep for a little, then into pop crookers/bloody beetroots/steve aoki kind of music? Or do people not want to ever stray outside the usual tempo range?

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
:regd07:

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
The anti skate on one of my decks just went haywire, now I can't play a record on it cause whenever I hit start the needle drags into the center how do I go about fixing that

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
That looks like normal fidget/electro - not that that's a bad thing, that's what I play

Ghettotech to me is like 140 BPM DJ Assault kind of poo poo

or dj godfather

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 30, 2009

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Yeah, His Majesty Andre never does anything interesting with his production, but he always has a great loop going

He has another one called NRG 555 (I think) that's killer

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 7, 2009

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
you can mix anything into anything if you turn delay and reverb up to full it makes enough noise to get you out of any sticky situation

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

TheWevel posted:

(original mix)

hey man don't hate the original mix

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
i just don't understand how you can only play 13 tracks in 77 minutes but that might be cause my genre of music doesn't lend itself well to long mixes

i get bored if I let more than one break per track play

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
http://www.zshare.net/audio/6025973701edd2bc/

This is my first mix recorded on turntables instead of Ableton. Bouncy house music. Please critique it. I mess up a couple times but nobodys perfect. I'll post a tracklist if anyone wants it.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

ManoliIsFat posted:

e: But so far, I'm way impressed with the speed and cleanliness of your mixing. Especially for a first time dude, drat.

:)

Ok, here's a tracklist...

Lykke Li - Dance Dance Dance (Buraka Som Sistema remix)
Trevor Loveys - Byrdy
Young Punx - Juice and Gin (Riva Star remix)
Elite Force - No Turning Back (Mowgli & Solo remix)
Robyn S - Show Me Love (Afrojack remix)
Mr. Miyagi - We Are Back
Rex The Dog - Bubbilicious (Congorock remix)
Djedjotronic - Dirty & Hard (Congorock remix)
Supabeatz - No More Down (Mikix the cat remix)
Gigi Barocco - Puah
Diplo feat. Rye Rye - Wassup Wassup (Crookers remix)
Lord Skywave- Something (Andy George remix)
Little Boots - New In Town (A1 Bassline remix)
Esser - Work it out (A1 Bassline remix)

also, two comments -

The mix into Show Me Love is tragic... I almost had it

and the last blend is MY DISCOVERY so nobody steal it

edit - corrected spelling of mikix the cat

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 20, 2009

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

ManoliIsFat posted:

I felt like I was at a Trouble & Bass night.

manoli i think that was the best possible thing you could have said I'm so stoked right now :D

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Wow, thanks for all this thought! I do think I mix a bit too quickly. I should probably work on taking more time to make sure everything is fully beatmatched and find a good mix point.

SixOhSix posted:

4th transition: Not sure where you're thinking the transition into Show me Love is tragic. Its was spot-on as far as lineup. I'd almost be just getting over-critical to even say there was an issue of keys between tracks.
It's tragic cause I brought in Show Me Love about 2 bars too late. I was trying to line up No Turning Back's drop and Show Me Love's break, but it didn't work out so I had to do my reverb/delay trick and get it out.

I love doing that. Both of my effects units in Traktor are cranked reverb and delay chains and I can just make a bunch of noise and hit the stop button on one of my decks and its a really cool effect.

quote:

10th transition: Maybe a little soon to be switching to tracks already? I was really enjoying the peak to Puah there. Nonetheless, very smooth quick transition, definitely no complaints there.
I agree with you here, especially cause the next break in Puah is this really cool half time thing. I probably should have let it play. I get impatient though!

quote:

12th transition: Nice and smooth, possibly a touch louder than Something, the tracks really compliment each other in that transition though, it seems like the cut of Something was a little sudden and late though. Mad props on spinning one of the tracks in my electro/fidget library. ;)

ahahahahah this is the big gently caress up of the mix (aside from a phrasing issue between We Are Back and Bubbilicious). What happened is that my control vinyl was about to run out so I switched Something to internal playback, and never switched it back. So I was trying to do the effect buildup I always do, I hit the stop button on my deck at the break and the track keeps playing! That's a mistake I'll never make again...

quote:

Overall, this is a FANTASTIC first attempt at mixing with vinyl, especially going from Ableton which is a whole different style of mixing. You're definitely on the right track if I'm getting this picky to find any issues. Looking back it's primarily just with with where tracks are being brought in or taken out feels occasionally sudden. Usually try to keep phrasing lined up (the tracks are following real basic patterns so 1st measure of every 8 or 16 makes for great spots) to really make the blends absolutely flawless from a theory and aesthetic standpoint.

Thanks for the time and effort! I'll keep that in mind when I do my next mix, especially about mixing slower.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

IanTheM posted:

Hudson Mohawke - Overnight
Joker - Snake Eater

siiiiick tracks right here

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

SixOhSix posted:

As a sort of interest check and to help in trying to get our little corner a little livelier, I'm looking into the possibility of doing some sort of live video webcast mix this weekend or next weekend. If I do it this weekend, it'll probably be on Sunday, if next weekend then I'll mention a specific day once I know what the schedule will be like. I'm gonna spend a good chunk of tomorrow figuring out how I want to rig equipment up to do it, so if anyone wants to show interest or give ideas, shout something and I'll look into incorporating it.

That would be cool, but record it just in case cause I'll probably miss it lol

any LA peeps go see Deadmau5??? He was sick

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Yeah, yesterday I think some server probably went down or somethin

Seems to be fixed today tho

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
my friends asked me to make a summer mix for them so that's what I did today... I had a whole tracklist worked out before I realized that my mixes suck balls if I have a pre planned tracklist

so here's me improvising for an hour: http://www.zshare.net/audio/62077153b626046e/

be as harsh as you want all you bloghouse haters should probably skip the last 15 minutes or so

also the first mix is probably the worst so bear with me a little there

i'll post the tracklist if theres any interest but it really aint that revolutionary

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 1, 2009

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
arg alright here i'll get it together

edit -

Radioclit - Secousse (Riva Starr rmx)
Oliver $ - What's In Your Head
DJ Blaqstarr - Shake It To The Ground (Claude VonStroke rmx)
Zombie Disco Squad - The Dance
Oliver $ -Whatcha Gonna Do?
Dubbel Dutch - Maser
Zombie Disco Squad - Turin Baile
Laidback Luke & A-Trak - Shake It Down
Crystal Fighters - Xtatic Truth (L-Vis 1990 rmx)
Donaeo - Love To Happen
Major Lazer - Pon De Floor
L-Vis 1990 - United Groove
Egyptrixx - Just Say Really (Bok Bok rmx)
Dre Skull - I Want You (Bok Bok rmx)
Skream - Percression
Reso - Onslaught
Rusko - Go Go Gadget
Reso - If Ya Can't Beat Em
Benga - Tecnocal
Benga & Coki - Night
Breakage - Untitled
Bar 9 - Dancin With The Devil
Reso - No Such Thing As Fate
Geiom - Reminissin' (Skream rmx)
AC Slater - BanGer (Drop The Lime rmx)
Drop The Lime - Hear Me (Buraka Som Sistema rmx)
Crookers - Il Brutto
AC Slater - Jack Got Jacked (Jack Beats rmx)
Idiot Savant - Jumpin' N' Pumpin' 2.0
Backyard Dog - Baddest Ruffest
Jay Robinson - Flaming Marvellous (Gaetan rmx)
Boys Noize - Jeffer

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
been listening to different music than usual lately

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6340662822d8751b/

Little Boots - Remedy (Style of Eye remix)
Momma's Boy - Maldito Nino (Tom Flynn remix)
Tapesh - Brighter Day
Yousef & Derrick Carter - Legacy
dOP - I'm Just A Man
Mathias Mesteno - Andrea
Thomas Schumacher - Sunset
Consistent - Midnight Blend (Oliver $ remix)
Style of Eye - Air Race (Worthy remix)
Claude VonStroke - Storm on Lake Saint Claire
Mathias Mesteno - Wild Coyote
Matthias Meyer & Patlac - Salt City (Nick Curly Remix)
Marshall Jefferson - Mushrooms (Justin Martin Remix)
Edu Imbernon & Coyu - El Baile Aleman
Rene Amesz & Mastiksoul - Swaffel (Honey Dijon Remix)
Renaissance Man - What is Guru (Riva Starr remix)
Jamie Jones - Summertime feat. Ost & Kjex
Claude VonStroke - Who's Afraid of Detroit
Jan Driver - Rat Alert

traktor freaked out on the last transition but otherwise its all smooth

feedback always appreciated

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
been listening to a lot of french house/disco lately

Disco.mp3 - 71.83MB

Burns - In My Eyes (His Majesty Andre remix)
The Vanisher - The Tic-Tac Tactic (Osbourne remix)
Kid Sister - Right Hand Hi (Tommie Sunshine edit)
The Phantom's Revenge - Absolute Ego Riot (Louis La Roche remix)
Daft Punk - Phoenix
Peppe Le Funk - Floor N Order
Malente - I Like It (Riva Starr remix)
Redman - I Hold the Crown (His Majesty Andre remix)
Oliver $ - The Greatest
DJ Falcon - Untitled (Hijack remix)
Toecutter - Best Party Ever (Jordan Light Year & Jimmy 2 Sox remix)
Del Marquis - Runaround (Louis La Roche remix)
Basement Jaxx - Just 1 Kiss (The Isley bootleg)
DJ D, Hydraulic Dogs - Shake It For Me
Tim Deluxe - We All Love Sax
Fake Blood - I Think I Like It

bout 50 minutes or so

hope yall enjoy it!

edit - mediafire http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zzlmotjjjjz

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong