Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Mark me down for Indianapolis (Dancehall D&B).

I'm going to be working on either a house or d&b (or both) set for this weekend, so stay tuned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

MadCarrot posted:

played out at a club for the first time last night, about 200 ravers on a huge sound system...I was in heaven! Got a recording of what I did too:

http://yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=482773

Drum and bass, ~53 minutes
Tracklist:
1) Drumsound and bassline smith - Body pump
2) Logistics - Inside my soul (Friction & Nu:tone rmx)
3) Subfocus - Swamp thing
4) Chase and Status - Pieces
5) Subfocus - Timewarp
6) Pendulum - Voodoo peopl
7) Xample - Lowdown
8) Danny Byrd - Weird Science
9) Beastie Boys - Intergalactic (dnb rmx)
10) Pendulum - Spiral
11) Danny Byrd - Shockout
12) Baron - Turn up the sun
13) John B - Red Sky
14) Drumsound & Bassline smith - Cold Turkey
15) Spor - Valentine
16) TC ft Scratch Perverts - gently caress What You Heard
17) Chase and Status - Hurt you
18) Pendulum - Axle Grinder
19) Chase and Status - Duppy Man
20) Noisia - Facade VIP
21) Matrix & Futurebound - Knite Riderz
22) Pendulum - Another Planet
23) Ed rush & Optical - Bloodmoney
24) Brookes Brothers - Tear you down
25) Danny Byrd - Gold Rush
26) High Contrast - If we ever
27) Calyx & Teebee - Dual Processed
28) Chase and Status - Take me away
29) Pendulum & DJ Fresh - Babylon Rising
30) Matrix & Futurebound - American Beauty VIP
31) Unknown Error - Shadows (Unicorn rmx)
32) Pendulum - Vault VIP
33) Noisia - Stigma
34) Noisia - Block Control VIP
35) Pendulum - Masochist
36) Noisia - Exodus
37) Subfocus - Frozen Solid

A couple of small mistakes but mostly really happy with that :)

Tracklist looks massive! 37 tunes in 53 minutes? Holy crap. Downloading now!

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Symptomless Coma posted:

That is the cheesiest set I have ever seen.

Downloading :)

Most US junglists would turn their nose up at this setlist, but frankly, I love dancehall dnb. MadCarrot, banging this out to 200+ must have been a hell of a rush.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

jonmitz posted:

I never see any sort of disco house/"house house" ever posted here, no other goons other than myself into it?

I say bring on the disco house!

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Rivfader posted:

Received Traktor Scratch Pro today.

pics

That is sexy with the monitor turned tall like that.

How's Traktor Scratch Pro?

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Rivfader posted:

I use Traktor Scratch and have my collection sorted alphabetically. I usually remember tracks by artist and name, so it's the quickest way for me to find tracks. Occasionally I do hit the sort by BPM-tag, when I'm not sure what track to play next, it's an easy way to get a "hint" bpm-wise.

Quoting this because it's the drat truth.

Vinyl-wise, I recommend starting on some belt-drive or lower-end tables and it will help you tune into the tempo so much better. You'll have to work harder to get tracks to match, you'll always have to worry about pitch fade, but when you step up to better equipment, you'll be a god.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Anae posted:

Anyone seen this? I know there's a DJ equipment thread but it's a little dead, and you guys might be interested.

http://www.allen-heath.com/UK/news_story.asp?view=489

Allen & Heath's new cheaper mixer, the Xone:22. It looks very very good as a second mixer or something, the price is apparently around £240 - not sure about dollars but presumably around $400. I might save up for this one.

I like that they included a "lite" version of the filter, but aside from the filter and XLR output, what does this mixer have that the $200 Denon X100 doesn't have?

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Dance Move Burglar posted:

Quality? A&H mixers are very very well-made, if a bit fragile.

I've been using the X100 for close to two years now and it sounds absolutely great. I don't really buy into the A&H superiority.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Threatis posted:

man, i HATE HATE HATE the loving low mid and high mid poo poo on their eqs

I'll agree with this and add the really foreign-feeling rotary faders on my friend's Xone 92. He loves them, but I just can't get a feel for em.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Dance Move Burglar posted:

Rotary faders are optional on the xone 92 though :confused:

And Pioneer makes a rotary fader kit for the 800 too.

I know, but it's a pain to go from my bedroom X100 mixer to a rotary, 4 band A&H. It always feels like too much. All I need is the basic setup, everything else is fluff and usually completely obvious to the audience anyway.

I mixed a badass house mix last weekend and I'm still waiting on the recording from that. I'll post it when I get it, but it's easily one of the most fun mixes I've ever done.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Threatis posted:

I'm just saying going out, grabbing mixes, and listening to them works better than jonmitz's bullshit.

Going to have to second this.

You're going to find more music you like by listening to other mixes instead of fighting the genre war.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Mr. Spooky posted:

http://www.ottawaraves.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=93&Itemid=43

It's time again for a new mix! This one's to prove that Jungle can be rave music, too!

HACK THE PLANET!

Been waiting for another mix from you. Checking this out for sure.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

SixOhSix posted:

This is probably the best approach to take. Unless they're strictly 21+ for entry, you should be fine.

I ended up doing a tag set with a friend in Cincinnati this past weekend and it was a blast. Someone apparently recorded a clip of it and posted it as well. Kinda dark, but it shows pretty well how tight it was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzwSp6O2V3I

poo poo son, are you based in Cincy? I live in Indy and have made it to a few shows (Mad Frog, specifically). My schedule's a little more open so if you've got more gigs in the future, let me know.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

just put together a new DnB mix.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9BTZC9TX

tracklist:
code:
Kubiks - Blood Ties
Muffler - Everything
Lenzman - Caught Up (Nu:Tone Remix)
Commix - Talk To Frank (Break Remix)
Total Science - Archive
Juju - Redder than Red
Koochie - Fly Away
Futurebound and Shock One - Tonic
Marky & Bungle - Let Me Tell You
DJ Zinc - Don’t Bury Me (feat. Jenna G)
Klute - We're All Dying
Die & Break - Get Some
Commix, Nu:Tone & Logistics - Coffee
Calibre - Second Sun
Artificial Intelligence - Switch On
Agent Alvin - Drift Away
B-Complex - Beautiful Lies
Nu:Tone & Logistics - Hammerhead
comments/criticism appreciated

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Alman posted:

So I'm starting to build up my collection (since my dance/house/dubstep/drumnbass collection is pretty minimalist) in order to start doing some mixing. What are some essentials I should check out? Obviously I've got artists like Daft Punk, Justice, Pendulum, Chase and Status, Subfocus, and Deadmau5, but I'm sure there are other albums that are pretty much essentials?

If you're just starting out, I would do some heavy listening on beatport. Just browse through and find some tracks you like, then check out other releases from the same label or the same artist. Also, grab up some mixes from your favorite artists. Speaking from a dnb background, the Pendulum Essential Mix still holds a lot of weight.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Alman posted:

I actually live in Lawrence, so I'm at least close to Kansas City - Denver is about an 8-9 hour drive. The biggest reason I've never gone to one in KC is that I don't really know anyone else that goes to them. The reason I got interested is a couple friends of mine (not close friends, but guys I've hung out with a couple times) are DJ's and let me mess around on their setups last time I was over. One of them is playing a house/deep house set at a local bar here in Lawrence next week so I'm planning on checking that out.

Salem, MO is less than 5 hours from you. Might I suggest you take a look at Underground Sound 6? We're driving out from Indianapolis (8 hours away) and it would be totally worth it if you're looking to find the rave scene.

Also, you can't really be afraid of going out to events by yourself. If you're trying to play out and get gigs, you have to network, network, network. Plus, you may find people who could expose you to new music.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

oredun posted:

i know i sound like a huge fanboy, but macs are just so much better for DJing and audio/video. they wont do any one thing alot better, but they will do some things better(drivers and midi for instance) but theres just so many little things that will save you trouble the whole experience is much better.

As someone who gigs regularly on a $400 dual core celeron laptop, please tell me why I need a mac to be a dj.

chrix fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 20, 2010

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Been a while since I've shared a mix here:

DJ Hollow Point - Helter Skelter
Length: 79:13

Tracklist:
Friction vs Camo & Krooked f/ Dynamite MC - Stand Up!
Hamilton - Soundboy
Joe Syntax - Fire Engine
Alix Perez - I'm Free
Rusko f/ Amber Coffman - Hold On (Sub Focus Remix)
Shock One - Polygon (Dirtyphonics Remix)
Logistics - Murderation
S.P.Y. - Go With the Flow
Serum & Bladerunner - Who Jah Bless
Drumsound & Bassline Smith - Can You Feel It
Bladerunner - Spartan Law
Survival, DLR, Octane - Transition
Break f/ Die - Slow Down
Bassnectar - Here We Go
Spor - Kingdom
Logistics - Warehouse (IllSkillz Remix)
Cyantific - Ghetto Blaster
Sub Focus - Could This Be Real (D&B Mix)
Bachelors Of Science - Warehouse Dayz
Dirtyphonics - Lottery
DJ Fresh - Starfall
Loadstar - Link to the Past
Spectrasoul - Wedgehead
Logistics - Colour Wheel (Friction & K-Tee VIP)
High Contrast - If We Ever
Utah Jazz - Riddim Track
Mutated Forms - High Sines Low Claps
Major Lazer - Hold The Line (Cyantific & Wilikinson Remix)
Camo & Krooked - History Of The Future
Netsky - Secret Agent
Total Science Feat. MC Conrad - Soul Patrol (Marky & S.P.Y Super Jungle Remix)
Danny Byrd f/ Liquid - Sweet Harmony

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

archie posted:

haven't posted in this thread for ages...

here's a mix i recorded last night on Boost.Fm (https://www.boost.fm):

--------------------------------------------------------
archietech [LIVE] on Boost.FM - download here
--------------------------------------------------------

'tis a one hour'ish mix of techno / deeper house / breaks / other stuff. because everyone needs a bit of variety.

haven't got a tracklist as such but if you want to know the name of a track give me a yell.

for some reason there's a strange 'skip' type thing that i'm not sure where it's come from in the first track. only happens a couple of times and is barely noticeable, other than to me which really bloody annoyed me.

https://www.boost.fm is looking for more djs at the moment so if you want to take your mixing to the next level and play to eager people i'd recommend hitting up them up!

wait, you're THE archietech?

hahaha, dude I've been playing on boost.fm for over a year now and I know we've talked a bit in the chatroom. Small loving world.

Echoing what archie already said, online radio has definitely pushed me to the next stage in DJing. A few years ago Boost.fm was very heavily house & techno but they allowed me to give drum&bass a try (only after I promised not to mix crazy techstep/skullstep every week) and now if you look at the site, I'm able to keep the same listener numbers as many of the mainstay house & techno guys. It's really amazing what a weekly radio show will do to your confidence, ability, skill, and taste. Before my radio show I was still playing whatever terrible dnb vinyl I could get my hands on. I quickly got into Serato, then grabbed a laptop, and now if I compare my first few sets on the radio with the stuff I play now, it's night and day.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

KillerJunglist posted:

Okay, I'm convinced. I sent them an email and hopefully I will hear back, as I didn't see anything on the site about submitting mixes or anything.

I've taken a listen to a few of your mixes and would definitely vouch for your ability. All they ask in return is to be reliable and to commit to a weekly/biweekly/monthly show.

Also, while the shows have to have a designated genre, they're pretty cool with allowing you to play whatever you want. I've done house, techno, dubstep, old school jungle, and breaks to very receptive ears.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

I don't normally post recordings of my radio show, but this one got a lot of great feedback, so I decided to go ahead and upload it. Track selection is really wide due to live chatroom requests.

This was recorded during my radio show on Boost.FM from 2-23-11. My radio show, "Introspection" broadcasts live from my home in Indianapolis, IN every Wednesday @ 9pm ET.

stream: http://i.mixcloud.com/CRreY
download: http://www.boost.fm/dj-mixes/drum-and-bass/introspection/2379.html (reg'd required to download)
genre: Drum & Bass

tracklist:

Q Project - Jungle Is Dead
Wilkinson - Moonwalker
Commix - Talk to Frank (Break remix)
Spectrasoul - Absentis
Octane & DLR - Seven
Logistics - Juno Six
>>> radio chatter
Jubei - Outcast
Ill Skillz & Logistics - Gridline
Cyantific - Ghetto Blaster
Culture Shock - Cathedral
Concord Dawn - Morning Light
Logistics - Alive
Aphrodite - Listen to the Rhythm
Danny Byrd - Red Mist VIP (Part 2)
Sigma - Stronger
Tyke - The Music Makers VIP
S.P.Y. - Legacy
Zero T & Ulterior Motive - Breach
Noisia & Phace - Floating Zero
>>> shoutouts
Hybris - Loaded

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

dirtbag posted:

I actually learned how to beatmatch using drum'n'bass records as most of my buddies were dnb djs. Pretty sure I've still got a pile of Good Looking vinyl somewhere. Maybe it's time to dig that poo poo out and blow the dust off.

I can get behind this idea.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

SUBFRIES posted:

http://www.mixcloud.com/r4ns0m/trouble-bass-dj-mix-competition/

02. Dubbel Dutch - "Throwback" [Palms Out Sounds]

yes! Dubbel Dutch does not get nearly enough love. Thanks for the mix!

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

After a pretty decent set on my radio show last night, I figured I'd upload and share.

Stream or D/L: http://www.mixcloud.com/djhollowpoint/may-11-2011-introspection-w-dj-hollow-point-live-on-boostfm/

tracklist:
Defence - Infinity
London Elektricity F/ Elsa Esmeralda - Meteorites
Random Movement - A Quick Thought
Logistics - Together Vip
Electrosoul System - Waterpipe
ICR - Whales Of August
DJ Andy & Drumagick - Get It Make Me High
EZ Rollers - Walk This Land
Makoto & Akira - The Way Of The Warrior
Secret Society - Rise Against
Screamheads - Under The Sun (Subwave Remix)
Joe Syntax - Slingshot
Fresh - Mission To Mars
Cabbie & Origin - Night People
Dc Breaks - Halo
Icicle - Top Of The Page
Break - Pression
Calibre - Lazy Rock
Marky & S.P.Y - Kinky Funky

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Don't suppose you guys have made any workout mixes, about an hour to 90 minutes?

I find that drum & bass is great workout music since people naturally run/jog at a pace faster than house music. I've got a bunch of mixes over on my mixcloud, all should be available for download.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Anae posted:

X-posting from the UK Bass thread:

2-step/dubstep/jungle/dnb mix?

I like the cut of your jib, good sir.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Finished another mix last week. I promised my facebook fans that I'd make a jungle mix when I hit 1,000 fans, so here's the result. I'm pretty proud of this one, so sit back and enjoy.

DJ Hollow Point - Modern Jungle
http://soundcloud.com/djhollowpoint/modern-jungle

tracklist:
Bladerunner - The Rocker
Serial Killaz - Send Dem
The Terrorist - Sing Time (Serum Remix)
RackNRuin - Soundclash (Deekline & Ed Solo Remix)
Hamilton - Soundboy VIP
Danny Byrd vs Liquid - Sweet Harmony (Jungle Remix)
Ray Keith - Special Technique (Serum Remix)
Serial Killaz - Walk & Skank (Northern Lights Remix)
Serial Killaz - Fresh Styles
Bladerunner - Back to the Jungle VIP
Benny Page - Turn Down the Lights (Rhythm Beater Remix)
Omni Trio - Renegade Snares (Bladerunner bootleg)
The Terrorist - Chopper (Bladerunner Remix)
Krome & Time - The License (Serial Killaz Remix)

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Lone Tuna posted:

Really liking this, great work!

Thanks! I was beginning to think it got looked over in favor of some of the other mixes. I appreciate you checking it out!

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Sup fellow Indy goon. Do you know any good EDM venues around town, maybe some places you spin at?

Absolutely!

I currently hold down a residency at The Mousetrap on Thursday evenings for a weekly we call Altered Thurzdaze. I usually play twice a month, sometimes on my own playing dnb/dubstep/house, sometimes in a 4 turntable tag set with my DJ buddy, Kodama. The community there is great and everyone acts like family. On any given Thurzday, you might hear anything from dubstep to jungle to jamtronica to house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkxoOIYojB4https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGC8XIuJZoE

Indymojo.com does some larger one-off shows like RISE f/ Hulk, Josh the Funky 1, and Qarell coming up April 27 at a new downtown venue called Skybar 247. You can find most of the local EDM events listed via Indymojo.com. Feel free to email me at djhollowpoint1@gmail.com if you'd like more information.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

I just uploaded my Electric Forest minimix (<15 minutes) and figured I'd give you guys a chance to check it out. If I get enough listens/favorites/shares, I could possibly play at Electric Forest and get 2 free VIP tix.

http://www.mixcloud.com/djhollowpoint/electric-forest-mix-match-2012/

tracklist:
1) Camo & Krooked - Cryptkeeper (Mind Vortex remix)
2) Omni Trio - Renegade Snares (Bladerunner bootleg)
3) High Contrast - The Agony and The Ecstasy
4) TC - Tap Ho
5) Crystal Clear & Zen - Dancehall Thriller
6) Tyke - Infected Headphones
7) Serum - Special Technique
8) Serial Killaz - Authentic

edit: VVV link is fixed sorry, bud.

chrix fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 27, 2012

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Got a few cool drum & bass mixes on this last page that I really wanna check. Listening to chrix's right now.

Saw this thread and figured I could stand to throw my latest mix up. It's about a month old now though. Honestly pretty happy with it for being only my 3rd mix. Have a listen if you are into liquid dnb!

http://soundcloud.com/kinetikdnb/moving-fast-v1-firez

"Firez" - DC Breaks
"Your World" - Metrik
"In the Future (feat. Jenna G & Futurebound)" - Camo & Krooked
"Life (Loz Contreras Remix)" - Kotez
"Lottie's My Sunshine" - Three20
"White Lies" - Fred V & Grafix
"Every Time" - Wilkinson
"Shine In (feat. Natalie Williams)" - Nu:Tone
"Vultures (Nu:Tone Remix)" - Jess Mills
"Deep In My Heart" - Hamilton
"Voices of A Distant Star" - Reso
"Recurring Dream" - MRSA & Parallax
"Stellar" - Kove
"Dawn Treader" - Brookes Brothers vs. Futurebound
"Red Sky (Subsonik & Smooth Remix)" - John B feat. Shaz Sparks
"The Light" - TREi & L.A.O.S.
"Timelapse" - Logistics
"Cross the Line (feat. Ayah Marar) (Metrik Remix)" - Camo & Krooked
"The More I Want (ft. Rox)" - DC Breaks
"Save the World (Futurebound & Metrik Remix)" - Swedish House Mafia
"Tomorrow's Another Day VIP" - Netsky
"Rework (feat. Brookes Brothers)" - Culture Shock
"Niton (The Reason) (Metrik Remix)" - Eric Prydz
"Demons (Trippcore Remix)" - Fenech-Soler
"The Reward" - Camo & Krooked vs. Body & Soul
"Want It" - Smooth
"Come Back (ShockOne Remix)" - Chicane
"Back in Time (feat. Kirsty Hawkshaw)" - Liquid Kaos
"Nightdrive" - Metrik
"All I Know (Rollin' Out Mix)" - Matrix & Futurebound feat. Luke Bingham
"Sunset 2011" - Metrik

thanks bud, will check this out when I get home!

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Every Wednesday evening I host an online radio show on https://www.boost.fm. The format is primarily Drum & Bass, but sometimes I switch it up with house or dubstep. This past week, I decided to drop some neurofunk. Let me know what you think:

http://www.mixcloud.com/djhollowpoint/aug-8-2012-introspection-w-dj-hollow-point/

Autoaxon - Opiate Machine Culture
Audio - Control Freak
Bazil - Premonitions
Ewun - Screw Up
Inside Info - Bit Rhythm
Black Sun Empire - Everything
Athys & Duster - Nevada
Optiv & BTK - Let Yourself Go
Phace & Misanthrop - Whats Wrong
Freeland - We Want Your Soul (Raiden Remix)
Black Sun Empire & Noisia - Lead Us
Konflict - Messiah
Ray Keith - This Is The Sound
Basher - Roc Ya Sole
Inside Info & Smooth - Hear Me Roar
Break - Bass Face
BTK - Vengeance (Octane & Dlr Ripping & Tearing Remix)
Calyx - Get Myself To You
Spor & Ewun & Evol Intent - Levitate
Fracture W/ Dawn Day Night - Get Busy
Rockwell W/ Zero Tolerance - Bone Structure
Dexcell - Minimum Square

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Crossposted from the Drum & Bass thread:

It's been a looong time since I've posted a mix here but this is a big one for me. 56 minutes of smooth & funky liquid drum & bass for your earholes.

DJ Hollow Point - Collective Sessions Vol 13

Tracklist:
Technimatic - Not Far to Go [Spearhead]
Random Movement - Down Somehow [Innerground]
Lupe Fiasco - Paris Tokyo (DJ Clart Bootleg) [Rad Summer]
Savage Rehab feat. Saxxon & Balistik - Neck Funk [V Records]
Young Ax - Midnight Sun (Calibre Remix) [Sugaphonic]
Dave Owen - Mindrain [Prana]
Technimatic - The Unspoken [Spearhead]
Alicia Keys - Feeling U, Feeling Me (Al Pack Bootleg) [Rad Summer]
LSB - Rolling Sideways [SPearhead]
Majestics - In My Heart (feat. Flower) [Liquid Brilliants]