Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Finally I motivate myself to make a new mix.

I like this way better than my other psytrance mixes. I feel like this has a good flow to it

Shiranui - Morning Meditation
URL: http://shiranui.lt3m.com/shiranui/Shiranui%20-%20Morning%20Meditation.mp3
Size: 70 Megabytes
Length: 50:44
Equipment used: Stanton C.500 CD player, DJM-600, SB Live
Style: Melodic psytrance/Neo-Goa
Tracklisting:
1. Disco Hooligans - "Running Out Of Time" ["Clear Skies" - Ektoplasm 2009 free download]
2. Enertopia - "Shadow World" (album mix) ["Divine" - Geomagnetic.TV 2008]
3. Random - "Personal Game" ["Implicate Order" - Geomagnetic.TV 2006]
4. Cosmosis - "The Other Side" ["Psychedelica Melodica" - Holophonic/Phantasm 2007]
5. Afgin - "The Astral Experience" ["The Astral Experience" - Suntrip 2009]
6. Binary Finary - "1998" (Protoculture remix) [Unreleased]
7. Son Kite - "The Stars Within Us" ["Colours" - Digital Structures 2004]
8. Astral Projection - "One" [Quasi-unreleased - Available on trackitdown possibly unintentionally?]

Enjoy!

Edit: Seriously I hate the rate at which I lose webhosts

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 31, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

The DJM-600 has *four* outputs. Master out RCA, master out XLR, booth out and record out.

I record from the master out and connect booth out to my speakers.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

it's never a problem for me? :confused:

I just set it so that it comes into audacity at a little under halfway up (-3 db) and then normalize it afterwards.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

So I finally made a tech house and progressive mix because I was tired of people not listening to my psytrance and happycore mixes because of the genre.

http://shiranui.lt3m.com/shiranui/Shiranui%20-%20Progress%201.mp3

Length: 51:37

Tracklist:
1. Cody - Bounce
2. Wippenberg - Drumster
3. Wolfgang Gartner - Yin
4. Sander Van Doorn - The Bass
5. Dubfire - Roadkill (original mix)
6. BT - Rose of Jericho (Sultan & Ned Shepherd mix)
7. Rank-1 - LED there be Light (Wippenberg remix)
8. Vibrasphere vs Ticon - Dewdrops
9. Son Kite - On Air

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Threatis posted:

go ahead and book your own shows, but for the love of christ, NEVER work for free!
Even at burning man?

Edit: Also I know of very few EDM DJs who DON'T spin for free around here (getting paid only gas money + drinks counts as "free" in my mind)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I don't know if it's really a niche/mainstream divide. The bay area is drowning in electro house DJs right now--getting a paid gig spinning hipster stuff is downright impossible.

On the other hand, I know these two guys who are pretty much the only good gabber DJs in the bay area and they get paid bookings all the time because in order to compete with them you would have to spend thousands of dollars getting vinyl shipped from the netherlands.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I dunno, clubs are cool and all but I'd rather concentrate on burningman, BM-related events, psytrance parties, outdoor renegades, etc... clubs feel too competitive and capitalist.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Pres posted:

Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (Deadmau5 Remix)
God drat am I sick of this track, seriously. I liked the original so this edit makes me puke and the fact that I hear this way more often at parties makes me angry. It's not THAT good and it's so ridiculously overplayed just about anywhere.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Jonmitz you're a cool guy but this thread is way more for beginner DJs to post their trainwrecking attempts than for experienced DJs to dickwave.

PS: I finally made a stupid house mix and STILL no one downloaded it :mad:

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Haha "noise vomit" is the perfect descriptor for most of Justice's music (and people who rip Justice off).

Pres posted:

Thanks ever so much for going through the mix. I've bought an X session pro to help with my mixing because using the interface on traktor was way too limiting. I'm having a little trouble figuring out song mixes, should i be looking for keys or generally the tempo of the song?
You should mix songs which sound good together. This requires memorizing what the songs sound like and being able to hear the songs mixed together in your head before you actually mix them. This is the hard part of DJing.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Save the mix as one long .wav file and use a cue sheet

Edit: I chop the mix up using Audacity, save to seperate wave files and burn with InfraRecorder and I never have noticible gaps. You want to split your tracks a little bit before a kick drum, not directly on it, as this will make any gaps or glitches that DO show up less noticible.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Threatis posted:

ok, i REALLY hate to be the one to put this out there, but trying to talk yourself up as the NEXT BIG THING is really a sure-fire way to get scoffed at.
I dunno I kind of feel like he was just saying the tracks were good, not that he, himself was good.

ShoodZ posted:

Also, I think my description of the mix is pretty accurate, which means you know what you are getting...except what genre you are getting it in.
I think pretty much everyone in this thread knows what genre your mix is without listening to it, especially since you have what, 6 calvertron tracks?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Come on, if you're going to name two talented turntablists...

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Threatis posted:

polly wog is still around too.
She played a rave recently and everyone hated her set, so she pissed in the middle of the dancefloor.

Forest Green and Drag'nfly, however, still kill it on a regular basis. They also throw these cool parties called Prohibition Underground.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

If anyone were to perform on the first passenger space flight it would have to be Astral Projection.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Paging Threatis to this thread so that he can sarcastically put down another new DJ by hipstering all over his track selection

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Download Link: http://shiranui.lt3m.com/shiranui/Shiranui%20-%20Nerve%20Stimulation.mp3
Listen Link: http://shiranui.lt3m.com/shiranui.html

* Title: Nerve Stimulation
* Date: January 19, 2010
* Genre: Early night "neuro" and somewhat-dark trance
* Length: 53:29
* Format: 192K MP3
* File size: 73.3 Megabytes
* Equipment used: Traktor in external mode, old SB Live soundcard (output), soundMAX onboard sound (input), DJM-600

* Tracklist:
1. Spirallianz - Blast Food (Spirit Zone, 2000)
2. Shapestatic - Drum (Gaian Mind, 2007)
3. Ajja - Archetype (Synchronize, 2007)
4. Parus - Nevesomost (Anti Shanti, 2009)
5. Ghreg On Earth - Permutation City (Underground Sound, 2009)
6. Full Face - 1-4 (Peak records, 2008)
7. Stereographic - Little Healthy Paranoia (Cryptek, 2009)
8. Penta - Pumpkin (Auraquake, 2009)
9. **SUPER SECRET UNRELEASED TRACK**
10. Ocelot - Ride the WAV (Zaikadelic, 2007)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

More psytrance!

* Title: "Slight Difficulty"
* Date: 18 March 2010
* Genre: Morning Goa & Fullon
* Length: 68 minutes
* Format: MP3 192K
* File size: 93 Megabytes
* Equipment used: Traktor in external mode, crappy sound cards, DJM-600
* Tracklist

1. The First Stone - Shivaya (Free-Spirit)
2. Radical Distortion - The Other World (Suntrip)
3. Cosmosis - Beyond The Five Senses (Holophonic)
4. Braincell - The Big Trick (Frogadelic)
5. Ianuaria - Liquid Modulation (Glowing Flame)
6. Hydrosonix vs. Chong vs. Klose Kaption - Direct Source (Mutagen)
7. MegaDrop - FireWater (Logical Light)
8. Aphid Moon - Kaleidoscopic (Aphid)
9. Dickster & Tron - A Few Spoonfuls (Liquid)
10. Zen Mechanics - Hallucination Generation (Neurobiotic)
11. Dickster & Burn In Noise - Tumbleweed (Nano)
12. Protoculture - Fascinating Curry (Nano)

Linkypoo: http://shiranui.lt3m.com/shiranui/Shiranui%20-%20Slight%20Difficulty.mp3

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

If I never hear a single Justice track again it will be too soon.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I figured since this thread is bloghouse central I'll ask here

There's an electro (maybe actually tech house) track I've heard recently that samples the bassline and maybe some other stuff from "Everybody in the place" by the prodigy, but is notable for the fact that it doesn't use the hook vocal or the cheesy lead. Does anyone know this track?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

ElectroPanic posted:

Any comments or feedback appreciated, thanks for listening :)
I didn't listen, but caspa skream and datsik are all terrible and overplayed.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

"Thunderstorm"

techno/progressive - recorded on 14th April 2010

Tracklist:
1.Opsy - Nightstripes (Digital Diamonds 2008)
2.X-Dream - March (Bokshe Beats 2008)
3.Sensient - Northern Lights (Zenon 2010)
4.Bioluminescence - Natural Habitat (Pure Perception 2008)
5.Cold Project - Back Up (Soundmute 2009)
6.Spirallianz - Ghost Brigade (Spirit Zone 2000)
7.6th Floor - Dawn of a New Error (Cosm 2009)
8.Fuzzion - Solar (Alic remix) (Digital Diamonds 2008)
9.Advent & The Industrializer - Better Disperse (Hedgehog 2009)
10.Bryan Zentz - Shadowtalk (Minus 2010)
11.Donnacha Costello - 6.4 (Minimise 2006)
12.Minilogue - Animals (Cocoon 2008)

This is dark progressive psytrance, techpsy, some tech house and minimal. I intentionally didn't mix it very fancily because it's meant as a genre sampler.

I also have a website now! http://shiranui.lt3m.com/shiranui.html

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I don't spin electro house so someone else has to make a mix with this track

http://soundcloud.com/subcommander-terbo/subterbo-all-your-base-are-belong-to-us

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

hand out demo CDs with your name phone number and email to absolutely everyone

make sure they're GOOD demo CDs though

maybe most people won't listen... but someone will

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Muttonchop posted:

Major Lazer - Pon De Floor (BeatauCue remix)
I loving hate the original of this but I don't know if I've heard this remix

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

If you can produce then you can make a mix using whatever software you use to produce.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

For example if you use ableton you can just put all of the clips of your tracks in the arrangement mode and automate EQs to fade between them.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I haven't listened yet, but just by looking at the tracklists I can give you a piece of advice: dig deeper! Too many tracks by big-name artists.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

The main thing I like about drum and bass is how it remains easy to beatmatch without being too formulaic (unlike psytrance which often has outright unmixable intros)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I think the key to getting the best performance is to use as few USB devices as possible (try to use firewire, expresscard or eSATA instead)

if both your soundcard and storage are USB, I could see that pushing your CPU a lot harder than it needs to.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

But if you use the original mix of the track, that makes your audience think you're just playing recorded music!

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Calculon posted:

:what:
You might not be aware of this, but many people are somewhat ignorant of the fact that DJs basically just play records, and if they hear a remix of a song they recognize, they will often assume that the DJ currently playing it created the remix.

I asked someone what their opinion of one of my sets was and their reply was "Well it was great except that one BT track you played sounded exactly like the version on the album"

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

If you like the remix better than the original track, play the remix

If you like the original track better, play the original.

What we're getting at is, don't play remixes for the sake of playing remixes.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

jonmitz posted:

Powered up my numark dxm09 to a clicking noise and then some violent impuses and then... nothing. it's a loving $370 brick now.

ugh
Wanna buy my DJM-600? I'll give it to you for $350

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Why do people capitalize "Goa" like that?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Anae posted:

It's because Goa is a state (?) in southern India where really epic psytrance parties used to take place in the 90s, and it had it's own sound, hence Goa trance. I think.
That wasn't the question I was asking. I was asking why people write it "GOA" instead of "Goa"

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

PirateMathew posted:

Instead of talking about me capitalizing Goa (it just happened, okay? :(), give me your opinions about the set, sugarpies!
Psytrance honestly sounds best when mixed very shallow, as all but the very beginning and end of the track tend to be already saturated with sound. I think if you want to be a creative psytrance DJ you should work on editing and looping.

Edit: also, have you explored the various subtypes of psytrance and some of the more underground artists? There are very many talented psytrance producers who are relatively unknown.

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 27, 2010

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

You just have to pick your loop points well

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

vanilla slimfast posted:

The issue is not the looping itself, but the content attempting to loop. Because psytrance has a ton of stuff going on at any point in time, it's difficult to pick a spot where melodies wouldn't be cut off abruptly when the loop starts over
Practically every psytrance track I've ever heard has a section with just the kick and bassline at SOME point.

Take this track for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_Efa9S4pg

Between 1:40 and the first breakdown you can find many different groups of 1 or 2 bars that loop just fine.

Sometimes to get the smoothest possible loop you have to start and end your loop on the 2nd or 3rd beat of a bar instead of the beginning of the bar.

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

also if you're handy with a DAW you can turn an unsmooth loop into a smooth one with creative overlapping and crossfading.

• Locked thread