Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
That's the thing. There isn't one single place where you can find where Skyrider, Hamous or Madlab are.

They are in different sectors each time. Skyrider is around swamps. Madlab is on farmland. Hamous is on northern roads.

Same thing with the terrorists. They are in towns. The travelling salesmen and Carmen. They are in bars. Which towns, and which bars? Go look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
In my current playthrough of v.1.13 I started off by making as much money as I could off of Kingpin, and then I killed him.

Now I've liberated every town except Meduna... And there's no Iggy.

If Frank is dead, does Iggy not show up in his bar in San Mona?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

God Of Paradise posted:

That's the thing. There isn't one single place where you can find where Skyrider, Hamous or Madlab are.

They are in different sectors each time. Skyrider is around swamps. Madlab is on farmland. Hamous is on northern roads.

Same thing with the terrorists. They are in towns. The travelling salesmen and Carmen. They are in bars. Which towns, and which bars? Go look.

I think most of them have schedules which are determined when you start a game (I know skyrider/madlab don't move about) but Hamous moves too much and is irritating to get sometimes.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just took Drassen Airport and I'm getting attacked by waves of 8-9 dudes every few in-game hours. Is this normal? How do I get my mercs a chance to heal up?

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I just took Drassen Airport and I'm getting attacked by waves of 8-9 dudes every few in-game hours. Is this normal? How do I get my mercs a chance to heal up?

You don't need to have the whole town under your control to train militia, and the airport is the most important part of the town (and the easiest to defend) so what I tend to do is this:

1) Conquer drassen, defeat the counter-attackers, loot everything, shift-click to sell stuff to make enough money for militia training
2) Immediately retreat to airport
3) Go into tactical mode and position my mercs in the airport sector such that anybody coming near the main gate is gonna get a face full of lead - generally speaking I lie all the mercs down quite a way inside the airport compound, but all facing the main gate.
4) If Bobby Ray's is active, I order a med kit if I don't have one
5) Now, set a dude to doctor but generally speaking I DON'T use the "surgery" option because it seems to consume your medkits more quickly. You have to heal up your mercs as much as you can between fights, but you ALSO have to have a couple of dudes training militia. Once you've got the airport covered in militia, you can retake Drassen sector by sector and repeat.

That's how I do it anyway.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

ted_himself posted:

You don't need to have the whole town under your control to train militia

This changes things considerably. :doh:

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

I think most of them have schedules which are determined when you start a game (I know skyrider/madlab don't move about) but Hamous moves too much and is irritating to get sometimes.

Madlab and Skyrider are in different sectors each game. They don't move about, but on multiple playthroughs they're in different spots. Skyrider's always in the North-East though. I know way too much about this game series... its sickening the amount of time I've sank off and on through the years.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

It is! There should only be a couple of patrols of ~10 dudes and then you should be fine.

In addition to what ted_himself posted, here's some tips:

Just having the airport won't be enough town loyalty for you to train militia; you'll also need the bottom-most sector, which is the mine. Fortunately, you can hold both the mine and airport without the enemy challenging you too much, so the trick is to take the airport, weather whichever patrols come your way via the tricks ted_himself described, then send a group to the mine sector and hide in the bar, which has no windows, attract the enemy by firing unsilenced, and then kill everyone. Once you have both, you should be able to train militia and will also a) be making money and b) have access to Bobby Ray's, which means you can gear up your dudes before you take the middle town sector.

e; VVV

Mans posted:

It's possible to conquer the two first squares of Drassen and train militia, just make sure you're selling everything not stuck on the ground and using cheap starting mercs so you can have some spare money.

Yes, but you're better off leaving the middle square until last, because the mine actually gives you revenue.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 4, 2012

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's possible to conquer the two first squares of Drassen and train militia, just make sure you're selling everything not stuck on the ground and using cheap starting mercs so you can have some spare money.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Hey, has anyone by any chance heard of any new campaigns or areas or whatever? I'm looking to find something else to play after beating the standard campaign.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Jefferoo posted:

Hey, has anyone by any chance heard of any new campaigns or areas or whatever? I'm looking to find something else to play after beating the standard campaign.

Go to the Bear's Pit. It's a Jagged Alliance forum with a bunch of game mods. There is also Unfinished Business.

I never got too into the mods. Urban Chaos and the Vietnam mod were both really popular though.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

God Of Paradise posted:

Go to the Bear's Pit. It's a Jagged Alliance forum with a bunch of game mods. There is also Unfinished Business.

I never got too into the mods. Urban Chaos and the Vietnam mod were both really popular though.

Urban Chaos sounds pretty amazing, I'll check it out. Any excuse to blow holes in walls is worth it to me.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
How long does it take for Tony's funds to regenerate when you've sold so much to him that he's broke. I figured he'd have more the next day, but it's been three and he's still broke.

'Course Shank has been camped out in his office for all that time... I'll try leaving town and coming back.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there a reason the throw ranges are so atrocious? Even people with high strength and the throwing skill literally cannot chuck a grenade across the street.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Did you stand up? Made a big enough difference from memory to warrant the risk

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Urgh, I ordered a bunch of crap from Bobby Ray's, but even after the confirmation emails showed up and I made drat sure Pablo wouldn't steal poo poo, the game won't spawn the items I ordered.

(I'm cheating, so we're talking like 20+ shipments of armor and guns.)

Also, how the gently caress did five pigs with cheap pistols in a psuedocircle manage to severely wound Fidel and kill Highball? Probably night combat, but then again, Reaper managed to miss with his 416 at mid-range and Raven literally missed all her single shots point blank at a standing redshirt.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

JackMackerel posted:

Urgh, I ordered a bunch of crap from Bobby Ray's, but even after the confirmation emails showed up and I made drat sure Pablo wouldn't steal poo poo, the game won't spawn the items I ordered.

Also, how the gently caress did five pigs with cheap pistols in a psuedocircle manage to severely wound Fidel and kill Highball? Probably night combat, but then again, Reaper managed to miss with his 416 at mid-range and Raven literally missed all her single shots point blank at a standing redshirt.

There are settings in the .ini file that allow for shipments to drop completely off the radar - a 10% chance of it, to be precise. Imagine my horror when a sniper rifle comes in, and the ammunition does not!

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

dud root posted:

Did you stand up? Made a big enough difference from memory to warrant the risk

Besides this, it depends on the object being thrown. A breaklight or mini grenade can be thrown a lot farther than a Mk2 grenade.

JackMackerel posted:

Exactly how much crap did you order? Maybe you ordered too much stuff for the code to handle and it just gave up.

quote:

I bitched about this several pages back, but the NCTH system has severe balance issues. Scopes and "ease of handling" have unrealistically large effects on accuracy, the end result being that unscoped rifles are so inaccurate that they're useless. So either use scopes on everything, or disable NCTH (or fiddle with the settings yourself if you're up to it).

az
Dec 2, 2005

JackMackerel posted:

There's the x% disappearance chance even without Pablo and I think there's a bug with everything disappearing on super huge shipments. I know I've lost entire orders like that.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sometimes if you leave the crate open you can't "refresh" it with the new gear. Just take poo poo out of the box until you can take something that came recently.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Mans posted:

Sometimes if you leave the crate open you can't "refresh" it with the new gear. Just take poo poo out of the box until you can take something that came recently.

Note that the hotkey Shift+M moves all sector inventory to your selected merc's location. Nice for getting everything out of the crate.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Jefferoo posted:

Urban Chaos sounds pretty amazing, I'll check it out. Any excuse to blow holes in walls is worth it to me.

There's a version of Urban Chaos with the latest 1.13 edition, too, so you can play the new campaign with all the 1.13 enhancements and such.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Foehammer posted:

Note that the hotkey Shift+M moves all sector inventory to your selected merc's location. Nice for getting everything out of the crate.
I recommend doing this while standing on a roof to be extra-sure nobody steals your stuff, and also don't leave loaded weapons on the ground.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

In my current game, I'm playing a Sam Fisher-like sneaker, backed up by a team of MERCs in ridiculous get-ups. Full EOD suit with plates, HK-21E with all possible attachments and an MGL-140. If they're not strong enough to carry that poo poo, they will be after a few weeks. Guys like Bubba (95+ strength) end up with 98% encumbrance or so. I think I'll restart the game, as I'm still not sure if that's what I should go with. I don't know what MG works, best or if I should give them assault rifles with grenade launchers. Give me some ideas for ridiculous juggernauts, and I'll see how they work.

I'm also thinking about giving them different roles. Something like two dedicated MG soldiers, one grenadier, one medic, one heavy sniper and one mortar-man. Having them shrug off full-auto bursts whilst they mow down everything in their path is so fun. Who needs a door when you have six grenade launchers?

I'm also unsure about how I should build my IMP, and what gear I should give him. Should I just slap a full set of ghille on some Dyneema armor and call it a day?

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Foehammer posted:

:aaaaa:

I hired Hamous solely to have him stand next to the shipping crate and unload all the items out of the box and onto the ground 1 by 1.

:argh:

Question about 1.13: I remember reading how vanilla JA2 prevents you from turtling/sitting in your base hoarding cash by increasing the number of soldiers you have to fight and decreasing your loyalty in towns as the game progresses. I also remember that 1.13 removed this, is this true? If so I want to take all the cities and just ambush patrols and hang out until I've hoarded enough cash to buy dozens of rockets and mortars and EOD suits because I hate tanks.

(Tanks are the worst part of the game; if you destroy all the tanks in a sector, leave, and come back, THE TANKS RESPAWN. Learned this the hard way.)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bilal posted:

Question about 1.13: I remember reading how vanilla JA2 prevents you from turtling/sitting in your base hoarding cash by increasing the number of soldiers you have to fight and decreasing your loyalty in towns as the game progresses. I also remember that 1.13 removed this, is this true? If so I want to take all the cities and just ambush patrols and hang out until I've hoarded enough cash to buy dozens of rockets and mortars and EOD suits because I hate tanks.

They disabled the loyalty loss, but the Queen may still respond to turtling with more aggression - I'm not sure. It might depend on the difficulty as well.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Anyone else having problems with the game crashing on civilian's turns in 1.13?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Bilal posted:

THE TANKS RESPAWN
poo poo, is this true? I've just been throwing the odd LAW that drops in the back of the ice cream truck so I thought I'd be ok.

Also, how long does it take for a merchant to regenerate his available cash?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Copper Vein posted:

poo poo, is this true? I've just been throwing the odd LAW that drops in the back of the ice cream truck so I thought I'd be ok.

YES. I found this out the hard way when I accidentally looped a path.

edit: Yeah, I think I'll drop NCTH (even though I have scopes on the weapons that are coming in) and use the Ctrl+M trick, the crate was open. Thanks for the advice.

What's the Ctrl command to sell all dropped stuff in a sector again?

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 6, 2012

captain_g
Aug 24, 2007
Turtling is indeed possible and not even too hard. I am playing on expert and haven't seen any enemy patrols despite getting very strictly worded letters from Enrico.

Hardest time I've had is after capturing a town when enemy attempts to retake it. I just trained MD to fairly decent soldier. MD is definitely on my list on next play through.

How does the training with trainers work in 1.13? It seems like you can only train a person once.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Mister Bates posted:

There's a version of Urban Chaos with the latest 1.13 edition, too, so you can play the new campaign with all the 1.13 enhancements and such.
Wait, they finally finished it? Goddamn there is literally no reason to play any other JA2 version ever again.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
I can't understand all the drat threads on the bear pit about UC. I found this thread

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=273927#Post273927

But there seem to be three different things, the guy is talking about unstable releases, AIMNAS, SCIs and I am stupid and don't know what the gently caress to do.

I've made a copy of my JA2 1.13 folder, and I just want to know what to put in that folder to make a stable, workable version of UC that works with 1.13. Can someone smart please help me?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

It took me this long to realize you can have more than one minor skill. Hooray for both night ops and stealth. :downs:

How important is health to other things than HP? Right now my Sam Fisher is a non-swimming loner, technician, stealther and night-ops'er. For skills:
I'm leaving Agility and Dexterity at 70+
Strength at 60+
Maxing out Wisdom
Marksmanship at 50+ (it levels easily, and my throwing knives are much more useful)
Leadership at 0 (I'll leave Ira to that)
Explosives at 45 (because of technician)
Medical at 35
Mechanical at 60+

The rest of the points pays for experience levels, which are quite useful because of the incredibly important interrupt chance. Without interrupts, taking a building with one man ends in disaster. Any thoughts?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

ted_himself posted:

I can't understand all the drat threads on the bear pit about UC. I found this thread

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=273927#Post273927

But there seem to be three different things, the guy is talking about unstable releases, AIMNAS, SCIs and I am stupid and don't know what the gently caress to do.

I've made a copy of my JA2 1.13 folder, and I just want to know what to put in that folder to make a stable, workable version of UC that works with 1.13. Can someone smart please help me?

Unstable releases are the "in-progress" developer's builds you can check out from SVN. They often have new features in them that may or may not work correctly.
AIMNAS is a mod that adds like 1000+ new items to the game for inventory management sperglords, so some people like to combine AIMNAS with whatever other mod they're playing.
SCI is Single Click Installer, meaning a stable release that you can download and install over vanilla JA2 with a single click*

*May require up to 5 clicks

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 7, 2012

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

It took me this long to realize you can have more than one minor skill. Hooray for both night ops and stealth. :downs:

How important is health to other things than HP? Right now my Sam Fisher is a non-swimming loner, technician, stealther and night-ops'er. For skills:
I'm leaving Agility and Dexterity at 70+
Strength at 60+
Maxing out Wisdom
Marksmanship at 50+ (it levels easily, and my throwing knives are much more useful)
Leadership at 0 (I'll leave Ira to that)
Explosives at 45 (because of technician)
Medical at 35
Mechanical at 60+

I'd strongly recommend that you do not play as a Jack of all trades, your IMP will be worthless.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

You need more points to make a reasonable approximation of Sam Fisher - I'd use 700. You'll probably also want to raise the max attribute value to 95-100.

And raise the number of attributes you get (this is in Skills_Settings.INI), since you'll need at least night ops, stealthy, athletics, technician (for lockpicking), weapons skills...

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

OK I got the Urban Chaos mod working. A few hilarious things - the terrible voice acting is good for a laugh, but more hilarious it the fact that all the female dialogue seems to have been recorded using one of those text-to-speech apps, presumably because they couldn't find any girls.

They've also added in "Jubilee", who is Angelina Jolie, and totally over-powered for an early merc.

Anyway, anyone who has played UC before...is it meant to be ROCK loving hard? The game opens with the player totally weaponless arriving into a firefight at the airport, then you are directed to use the subway, where you are immediately attacked by a gang of guys, and if you beat them and actually use the train, you disembark RIGHT into another firefight. I had to reload a few times because the moment the sector loaded Biff would get a face full of buckshot and die.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

God Of Paradise posted:

I'd strongly recommend that you do not play as a Jack of all trades, your IMP will be worthless.

Ceyton posted:

You need more points to make a reasonable approximation of Sam Fisher - I'd use 700. You'll probably also want to raise the max attribute value to 95-100.

And raise the number of attributes you get (this is in Skills_Settings.INI), since you'll need at least night ops, stealthy, athletics, technician (for lockpicking), weapons skills...

I think you're both right. And since the difficulty in this playthrough will be much more in sneaking and one man tactics than logistics and squad-tactics, changing the point values won't feel that cheaty. So in conclusion; don't make a Jack of all Trades merc unless you cheat a little, I guess.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 7, 2012

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

ted_himself posted:

OK I got the Urban Chaos mod working. A few hilarious things - the terrible voice acting is good for a laugh, but more hilarious it the fact that all the female dialogue seems to have been recorded using one of those text-to-speech apps, presumably because they couldn't find any girls.

They've also added in "Jubilee", who is Angelina Jolie, and totally over-powered for an early merc.

Anyway, anyone who has played UC before...is it meant to be ROCK loving hard? The game opens with the player totally weaponless arriving into a firefight at the airport, then you are directed to use the subway, where you are immediately attacked by a gang of guys, and if you beat them and actually use the train, you disembark RIGHT into another firefight. I had to reload a few times because the moment the sector loaded Biff would get a face full of buckshot and die.

Yeah I seem to recall it being really hard. It was made by people crazy enough to reverse engineer and mod a game not designed for modding, so I guess that's to be expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

ted_himself posted:

My wife did the voice of the reporter years ago on a really, really bad boom mic. Dunno if they still use her voice though, I've not played that mod in *forever*. So, there was at least one girl.