Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treylis
Jul 8, 2004

As an American, I realize that my primary advantage lies in being as well-armed as possible at all times.

Zigmidge posted:

Hey it sounds like we can't swallow a little hyperbole or enthusiasm.

I'm the one who can't swallow it because I'm suggesting that he go for it rather than not? It doesn't take a lot to handle the counterattack, just the thought "oh, hey, I'm outnumbered massively, instead of standing ground perhaps withdrawing and reengaging on my own terms might be a good idea." Shocking, I know.

Let them take the city and spread out, then you can retake from the airport and leisurely stroll back down to the mine while training militia, no repeated 20-man wave stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

Duuk posted:

Then again, maybe I am doing something wrong. I don't think I've seen more than 45-50 oppos in the CA. My lategame killerteam usually ends up consisting of the IMP and free/cheap mercs with long-range capable weapons (IMP usually with sniper + G11 for cc) and suckers like Dynamo and Shank on backup duty, I'll have money in the hundreds of thousands for buying more toys that I can possibly carry and I like daytime sniping missions as opposed to the ninja "sneak-jam a 'nade into your rear end on a moonless night so fast you won't notice" most here seem to enjoy. Or not?

I think I might have to reinstall JA2 tomorrow. :(

While I do enjoy sneaking around with a small kill team, terminating everything by cover of night (I usually build my IMP mercenary around that concept), I don't do it all the time. I sort of like daytime missions as well, with good old fashioned firefights. That being said, I get the most enjoyment from the game when I have enough funds to go apeshit with artillery. Coating the map in mustard gas and then dropping mortar shells on anything that's still moving.. now that's my idea of a good time.

It's also how I deal with that lovely blood cat mission. Yeah, you fuckers think you're fast and stealthy? Five minutes later I'm hearing a dozen cats choke to death on aerial death.

Kind of makes me wish I could go hunting with the stuff :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pesty13480 posted:

While I do enjoy sneaking around with a small kill team, terminating everything by cover of night (I usually build my IMP mercenary around that concept), I don't do it all the time. I sort of like daytime missions as well, with good old fashioned firefights. That being said, I get the most enjoyment from the game when I have enough funds to go apeshit with artillery. Coating the map in mustard gas and then dropping mortar shells on anything that's still moving.. now that's my idea of a good time.

The death animations for explosive kills is pretty rewarding too.

Also the headshot death animation never gets old especially all the Merc one-liner response to getting a good critical hit.

ValueWolf
Dec 15, 2004

Duuk posted:

I have never found the Drassen CA to be all that horrible tbh.
Admittedly I don't usually play on the hardest level, Expert is the one after Experienced, right? If so, then Expert and Iron Man.

Are you playing with the 1.13 fan patch? There's no way you're not getting massive waves if you are... either that or it's turned off and you haven't noticed. It's the way the game works.

ValueWolf
Dec 15, 2004
This game really shines in Iron Man mode, by the way. It's far too tempting to reload all the time, especially when your men are hit or you miss an important shot normally.

I play the game like this: Iron Man (self-enforced so as to be able to save after each turn in the event of crashes) and 'forced follow through' -- that is, once a decision to enter combat has been made, that entire fight must be played. If everyone dies, then I consider it a failure and reload (don't have to enter the same combat again necessarily). If not, I deal with the consequences, even if a merc has died.

It help if you up the bullet damage a bit in the ini files, also, just to make this proposition sane.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

HoldYourFire posted:

Could you tell me how to do this? Custom guns aren't necessary, just ones in the game to start with. I think I could get into the game easier if I didn't start with utter poo poo.

Sure. Fire up the XML editor, should be in your root JA2 directory. Go to Inventories > IMP Items

If you're wanting to set default gear, then just turn # Choices and # Items to the number of items you'll be bringing, and use the Item 1 through Item <your total number of items>, setting what you want to spawn with. Default gear is easy as pie, and usually works without much fiddling. For some reason, I cannot spawn with weapons in ANY field in default spawn's row. I don't know why :(

Spawning with guns though, that's a bit more complicated. Let's say you made your guy with 85 Strength. To make DOUBLE SUPER MEGA SURE that you get what item you want, set # Choices to 8, and # Items to 1. This forces the game to give you whatever you put in item 8's slot, as it's the only available choice. You're using Item 8 because you're Strength stat is 85. Take the value of your stat, and divide by ten. 100 stat = 10th slot, 90 stat, 9th slot, etc.

Currently, my "Default Items" row has fifteen items in it, compared to the standard five. I'm sure there's a limit somewhere, and I'm certain that if you put more items in there than you can physically carry, there'd be a problem. What I'd do is get some LBE gear; vest, thigh rigs, combat pack, and buy the gear you want to spawn with. See how much it fills, then put that LBE gear in your default item list, along with what weapons and items you'll be spawning with :)

Dr. Video Games 0126
Sep 12, 2001
hercules of hate
When were the Tactical Tailor items added?

I had played the 1.13 patch a while back. Was there a new one that added this?

Beeb, you should make a TFR stars team in your game.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I would if I could. Only three custom male mercs? :argh: Although maybe I could edit the MERC/AIM mercs' names, hmm.

Lobster Maneuver
Jan 4, 2005

All heart and all thumbs
Thanks to this thread, I reinstalled and started playing again. I beat JA2 a couple years ago with 1.13, and a lot seems to have changed between now and then. One thing I don't miss though is how hard the game is before you take over Drassen. The first few battles are always in wide open areas, usually in the daylight, and the only strategy both you and the computer have is to prone in a group and plink away at each other with pistols with 5% chance to hit. The game becomes so much better once you get access to real guns.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

quote:

STEALING_FROM_SHIPMENTS_DISABLED - Set to FALSE to avoid having to deal with Pablo.

Shouldn't it be set to TRUE? The default is FALSE, and it's mentioned in the description box for the setting that setting it to TRUE will result in Pablo not stealing anything.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, that is right, it should be set to true if you don't want him to steal from shipments. I usually use true, even though I never had a problem when I had it set to false. I just slipped him $20 every time I picked something up and it seemed to be fine.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lobster Maneuver posted:

Thanks to this thread, I reinstalled and started playing again. I beat JA2 a couple years ago with 1.13, and a lot seems to have changed between now and then. One thing I don't miss though is how hard the game is before you take over Drassen. The first few battles are always in wide open areas, usually in the daylight, and the only strategy both you and the computer have is to prone in a group and plink away at each other with pistols with 5% chance to hit. The game becomes so much better once you get access to real guns.

This is why you start with a couple of mercs that do have real guns in the beginning. My IMP always has an MP5 and I usually recruit Fidel or a similar merc that comes with an assault rifle. Just having a couple long range weapons really makes things easier for you, and even allows you to get easier kills with your pistol carrying mercs.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

If you really want to make things easier, hire Scully for a day. His Enfield is a decent enough rifle for single shots, but most importantly it comes with a 4x scope, which is hugely useful at the beginning.

Another good option is taking out the hicks early on, for their shotguns and mini-14s. It is pretty double if you only have a couple of mercs. Just get up on to their storehouse at night and start firing. As they come out of the house pick them off. I've done it at night on iron man mode with just my IMP and Wolf. Plus, their shed usually has a grenade launcher, more shotguns, and a laser sight or two. Handy stuff when you are starting off.

I usually liked playing the game on the second to highest difficulty setting, on iron man, and 'slow enemy weapon progression' turned on to true. Not to make things easier, but just to make things a letter better paced. With the difficulty turned up they will start dropping silly powerful weapons really early if you don't have that option on. Sniper rifles and XAP weapons dropping in Omerta sort of thing.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Back up your data files. My sound file got hosed for some reason, so I had to reinstall.

Lot of gear went down the tubes. :suicide:

ValueWolf
Dec 15, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Back up your data files. My sound file got hosed for some reason, so I had to reinstall.

Lot of gear went down the tubes. :suicide:

Why didn't you just save the poo poo you needed before you reinstalled?

Hey, my tire's flat... welp, time to blow up the car.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Fire it up fag posted:

Makes sense to me!

This game is hilarious, although i'm not very good. Unforunately I lost a battle and my duders were captured by Deidranna but the cutscene just kind of froze there with the little stopwatch when the other guy went to "tenderize" my three mercs.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Fire it up fag posted:

Honestly my tables were messy as hell anyway, a lot of trial/error items thrown in. But hey, at least now ALL of my items are showing up. :shobon:

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Fire it up fag posted:

poo poo, I'd do that just because it would be awesome.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

Fire it up fag posted:

Are you playing with the 1.13 fan patch? There's no way you're not getting massive waves if you are... either that or it's turned off and you haven't noticed. It's the way the game works.

Yes and it is turned on. As I said, 45-50 oppos seems to be normal.

Also, as someone already mentioned, Pablo is not a problem if you slip him fifty every time you go to the airport. I don't think he has ever stolen anything with this method.

He does seem to continue stealing poo poo if you don't pay him, stuff goes missing and punch him in the face. But it is just so satisfying. (Never kill Pablo, the replacement is worse)

Edit: Does anyone have experience with the new loot tables? I would be horribly pissed if I managed to drop a sniper with my pistols and the loot table suddenly decided "No, he had a Machete. HE HAD A MACHETE."

Duuk fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 15, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Duuk posted:

Edit: Does anyone have experience with the new loot tables? I would be horribly pissed if I managed to drop a sniper with my pistols and the loot table suddenly decided "No, he had a Machete. HE HAD A MACHETE."

More than likely they'll decide he was walking around naked with no weapons. Not everyone drops things, probably only one in four enemies do. It's not the most realistic option, but it does present a challenge because you actually have to conserve ammo and good weapons are much more rare.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I can't wait until Zigmidge comes back after his first experience with one of the .338 rifles. :D

Treylis posted:

I'm the one who can't swallow it because I'm suggesting that he go for it rather than not? It doesn't take a lot to handle the counterattack, just the thought "oh, hey, I'm outnumbered massively, instead of standing ground perhaps withdrawing and reengaging on my own terms might be a good idea." Shocking, I know.

Let them take the city and spread out, then you can retake from the airport and leisurely stroll back down to the mine while training militia, no repeated 20-man wave stuff.

Man, it sure is great you have this in-depth knowledge of how the game works and how the enemies will distribute themselves among the city, just like a first-time player who's still grappling with how to play the game and learn the equipment and tactics and entire gameplay structu---oh, wait. If you'd just stuck with "It's not so bad if you let them take the town and then you can take it back piece by piece" I don't think you'd see people jumping all over you. Or admitting that maybe you're still assuming a new player has a greater grasp of the basic gameplay fundamentals that early in the game than most would, even turn-based GAME MASTERS or whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Why are we still even arguing about this? He's not going to spontaneously change his mind and start the game over with the attacks on. It's a done deal and has been since like the third post on this stupid debate. Just drop it already.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
If you shoot them in the head they die quicker :ssh:

Except with hollowpoint rounds. Which doesn't make much sense to me. I assume they have helmets but it doesn't even give you feedback you hit.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

God dammit, my sounds are hosed up again. Standing up from prone makes a sloshing noise, Elliot getting slapped plays some weird monster/animal roar, and jumping on a ledge makes a BEEP! tune.

What the gently caress, all I did was add

code:
<SOUND>SOUNDS\WEAPONS\SILENCER SINGLE SHOT.ogg</SOUND>
To my Sounds.XML table :(

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

webcomics thread posted:

Except with hollowpoint rounds. Which doesn't make much sense to me. I assume they have helmets but it doesn't even give you feedback you hit.

If they are wearing a helmet, there is a fixed chance (depending on the type of helmet they're wearing) that the bullet misses the helmet completely and does a crapload of damage.
If the hollow point round does hit the helmet, the first 2 shots won't do much damage (sometimes they won't do any damage at all), depending on the condition of the helmet.
Even if the bullet hits the helmet, it will still do lots of stun damage though, so going for headshots is usually the best course of action, if you can get a decent CTH on the head.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

webcomics thread posted:

Except with hollowpoint rounds. Which doesn't make much sense to me.

Yeah, helmets. Or every enemy in the game has an armored skull. Either way I guess it's deciding that the JHP is running into something hard and bullet-resistant so it wastes its expansion energy, thus is less effective.

Beeb when you're busy digging around in tables, what exactly does match ammunition bring to the table as far as ammo modifiers? Is it just FMJ + some range? That's what I've always figured anyway. I can't help myself. I use it in everything except LMGs, where I load full tracer because it looks neat.

Specifically 7.62x51 match, if that helps. SCAR-H/SV hoooooooooooooo!

I'm surprised the game doesn't let you load LMG belts where it's something like 4 API to one tracer or whatever, that you have to pick one bullet type and that's it. Engine limitation, maybe?

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 15, 2009

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Psion posted:

Beeb when you're busy digging around in tables, what exactly does match ammunition bring to the table as far as ammo modifiers? Is it just FMJ + some range? That's what I've always figured anyway. I can't help myself. I use it in everything except LMGs, where I load full tracer because it looks neat.

Specifically 7.62x51 match, if that helps. SCAR-H/SV hoooooooooooooo!

The Bonuses section for x51 match is a 120 boost in range, all other loads have no boost in range bonus. I don't know if that's in grids or just what, though. It seems that all cold loaded has a 40% noise reduction bonus, as well.

I'm trying to figure out what the gently caress AET ammo is supposed to be based on. It has no bonuses, no extra attributes, and the description says "AET ammo has expansion and armor piercing capabilities for double the punch, but can make your weapon somewhat unreliable."

Expansion and AP? I thought it was just the game's version of Ranger SXTs or something. I don't see any damage values, either.

Edit:

Goofed around with enemy items some more, swapped steel pisspot helmets for FUR HATS :buddy: As a result, I busted many domes with hollowpoints out of the 14.5" Noveske rifle I added. :3:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 15, 2009

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Duuk posted:

Not sure if this is the way it is still done, but when I first played it, you could always get the weapon used by the enemy if you took it from an unconscious enemy. Now trying to reliably get enemies unconscious required you to fight them hand-to-hand, or use tear gas and stun grenades. Really sucked if the enemy woke up after your beatdown, and switched to a knife/machete.

apathetic poster
May 8, 2002

by T. Finn

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, that is right, it should be set to true if you don't want him to steal from shipments. I usually use true, even though I never had a problem when I had it set to false. I just slipped him $20 every time I picked something up and it seemed to be fine.

you can punch him the first time he steals from you and he won't do it again

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Capn Beeb posted:

Sure. Fire up the XML editor, should be in your root JA2 directory. Go to Inventories > IMP Items... :words:

Thanks a lot :)

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

The Bonuses section for x51 match is a 120 boost in range, all other loads have no boost in range bonus. I don't know if that's in grids or just what, though. It seems that all cold loaded has a 40% noise reduction bonus, as well.

I'm trying to figure out what the gently caress AET ammo is supposed to be based on. It has no bonuses, no extra attributes, and the description says "AET ammo has expansion and armor piercing capabilities for double the punch, but can make your weapon somewhat unreliable."

Expansion and AP? I thought it was just the game's version of Ranger SXTs or something. I don't see any damage values, either.

Ammo types have more attributes, just go to the XML editor's menu and select Data > Ammo > Types. Armor piercing and expansion are shown as fractions split into two values, multiplier and divisor, or numerator and denominator. AP ammo has an armor impact reduction modifier of 3/4 for example, which means that a piece of armor will only be 75% as effective against it.

As far as damage values, those are stored as part of the gun. Ammo itself doesn't determine damage, only different attributes based on the ammo type.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Saint Septimus posted:

Ammo types have more attributes, just go to the XML editor's menu and select Data > Ammo > Types. Armor piercing and expansion are shown as fractions split into two values, multiplier and divisor, or numerator and denominator. AP ammo has an armor impact reduction modifier of 3/4 for example, which means that a piece of armor will only be 75% as effective against it.

gently caress hurf, I didn't think to check there. :downs:

Also it seems that adding sounds to the Sounds and BurstSounds.xml files makes the game act a little weird. I just tried a fresh install on a different drive and no more bizarro sounds.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the gently caress AET ammo is supposed to be based on.

Pretty sure AET is what the Zorg-1 uses. Either that or someone bought into the blended-metal concept? (you know, the 'AP against cool hard targets, hollowpoint against soft warm ones') -- globalsecurity says frangible ammunition is a synonym for AET, though: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/frangible.htm

But Glasers are modeled in-game and aren't AET at all. :confused:

Wait, no, I know. AET = EXTREME SHOCK!!!!! ammunition. IT'S SO OBVIOUS!

Now where's that seizure-GIF b4ctom made for me ...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

webcomics thread posted:

Yup HP rounds are useless against armor and just do Energy damage instead with minimal health Loss.

They are pretty handy early on in the game when bad guys have crappy equipment but useless once you start running into better equipped bad guys.

Any sort of armor even a helmets will greatly reduce the damage.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I was only running around Cambria, I didn't think they were wearing helmets yet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

webcomics thread posted:

I was only running around Cambria, I didn't think they were wearing helmets yet.

Yup, even early as that they start to get a bit more body armor which greatly reduces the nice things about HP.

With some options tweaks in 1.13 you can also see what sort of gear the bad guy has if you have a closeby Merc.

Nightfreeze
Apr 22, 2004

by T. Finn
Are there any mods or recommended settings that make the game more 'realistic'? It seems that the guns have a Counterstrike-esque damage model, where you are fragile but not TOO fragile. I'm looking for more of a Red Orchestra type damage model, where if you get shot in the chest with a rifle you'll be lucky to survive, kevlar or no kevlar. Or if you are shot in the head with any type of gun and don't have a helmet on you will likely perish.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Just crank up all the X_DAMAGE_MODIFIER ini settings. At 100 or 150 getting hit will really hurt but I think the game will be very unfair unless you also mess with the hostile troop numbers.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

More than likely they'll decide he was walking around naked with no weapons. Not everyone drops things, probably only one in four enemies do. It's not the most realistic option, but it does present a challenge because you actually have to conserve ammo and good weapons are much more rare.

Yeah, I kind of assumed that but thanks for confirming. Suppose I'll stick to the "drop all" then because the utter lack of realism would bug me to no end.

Also last I checked, the energy of a round doesn't really get lost - if you shoot someone in full armor with hollowpoints, they can shrug it off but the armor will get ripped to all hell eventually. Basically if all you have is HP, just spray and pray and they'll go through sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Nightfreeze posted:

Are there any mods or recommended settings that make the game more 'realistic'? It seems that the guns have a Counterstrike-esque damage model, where you are fragile but not TOO fragile. I'm looking for more of a Red Orchestra type damage model, where if you get shot in the chest with a rifle you'll be lucky to survive, kevlar or no kevlar. Or if you are shot in the head with any type of gun and don't have a helmet on you will likely perish.

You might try just plain upping the ballistics damage to 200% or something like that in the .ini file.
I like to play with around 120% myself, this results in ~2 headshots from a decently-powered rifle being lethal, even with a proper helmet, and, while still not entirely realistic, is pretty fun to play. At 200%, you will probably be lucky to survive a headshot at all, and 2 chest shots should take most targets down aswell, I imagine.