Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
I think I'm probably the cheapest player ever, then, because I will save every round, and reload if it goes badly for me. Do you guys literally play each fight through and just deal with the consequences? Sounds like, you know, kind of a CHALLENGE. I'm enjoying what is essentially cheating but I think playing it properly might make it challenging even on just experienced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

ted_himself posted:

I think I'm probably the cheapest player ever, then, because I will save every round, and reload if it goes badly for me. Do you guys literally play each fight through and just deal with the consequences? Sounds like, you know, kind of a CHALLENGE. I'm enjoying what is essentially cheating but I think playing it properly might make it challenging even on just experienced.

I am treating the game like the IMP is me, so I only really reload if he gets killed, or the attack I tried is unrecoverable.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.

signalnoise posted:

I am treating the game like the IMP is me, so I only really reload if he gets killed, or the attack I tried is unrecoverable.

poo poo, I like that. It's weird playing without any real threat. Honestly I've just been playing it as a time waster since it's fun making people's heads explode with the Gepard.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

This is usually what I do as well. I play with ironman on as well to remove the temptation to save mid-combat. If an attack goes south it makes it so I have to either retreat or start the whole fight over, which I find more interesting since with savescumming "retreat" is never really a serious option.

Some day I want to try a totally "pure" ironman game, with no reloading saves at all, except for crash recovery. It's hard to avoid the temptation to reload when you lose a good merc like Barry really early on though. For some reason it's ALWAYS Barry that dies first for me.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is usually what I do as well. I play with ironman on as well to remove the temptation to save mid-combat. If an attack goes south it makes it so I have to either retreat or start the whole fight over, which I find more interesting since with savescumming "retreat" is never really a serious option.

Some day I want to try a totally "pure" ironman game, with no reloading saves at all, except for crash recovery. It's hard to avoid the temptation to reload when you lose a good merc like Barry really early on though. For some reason it's ALWAYS Barry that dies first for me.

This is what I do, but ... if more than one person dies I'll probably reload. I only save at the start of a session but I have my autosaves on and like, every 10 hours. This means reloading is a bit more punishing too, I might lose a lot of play time.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
There a good list of item combinations in 1.13? I know the big ones, but not really what has been added.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Someone asked when do you get Miguel and Carlos?

You get them after liberating 4 towns. This counts Omerta.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And as with anything in JA2, the number of villages can be edited in the Ini editor.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

When you put a merc on repair duty do they repair what's in their inventory, the sector inventory, their teammates' inventory, or some/all of the above?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ahhpple posted:

When you put a merc on repair duty do they repair what's in their inventory, the sector inventory, their teammates' inventory, or some/all of the above?

all of the above, and you got the order almost right. They'll repair their equipped stuff first, then either their inventory or their homies' equipped stuff (I forget, and they do the other one next anyway) then their homies' inventories, then stuff in the sector last.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I savescum a lot but mostly it's on those "are you loving kidding me" shots. It's bad early game, but happens less and less as it goes. Also when throwing things. Sometimes people just roll a 1 and drop poo poo at their feet.

Also, if you wanna hit multiple dudes with one burst, hold alt and click+ drag an area. A buncha little red crosses will pop up that'll be expected to hit areas. It's loving amazing with tight groups because you can actually accurately fire like 15+ rounds and kill three/four people.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

SpookyLizard posted:

I savescum a lot but mostly it's on those "are you loving kidding me" shots. It's bad early game, but happens less and less as it goes. Also when throwing things. Sometimes people just roll a 1 and drop poo poo at their feet.

Also, if you wanna hit multiple dudes with one burst, hold alt and click+ drag an area. A buncha little red crosses will pop up that'll be expected to hit areas. It's loving amazing with tight groups because you can actually accurately fire like 15+ rounds and kill three/four people.

I was reliably aiming at a massive squad of 15 people and missing every shot with a marksmanship 80 character and one of the longer-ranged assault rifles. WTF.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Is there a jeep in JA2 1.13? Saw one in the LP thread & am wondering if I missed it

lol where can I find the icecream truck?
\/\/

dud root fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 2, 2012

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

dud root posted:

Is there a jeep in JA2 1.13? Saw one in the LP thread & am wondering if I missed it

I think that's something added by AIMNAS. The only vehicles in base 1.13 are the same ones from the original JA2 - the chopper, ice cream truck, and humvee.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
that sucks for you, iv'e never really had too many problems missing dudes that I could hit otherwise. Can you actually hit single dudes at once?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

dud root posted:

\/\/

A retarded Hispanic man occasionally randomly spawns with it on the roads, and you can hire him.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

dud root posted:

\/\/

check the map in the OP/a few pages ago. he appears randomly in the various sectors etc.

captain_g
Aug 24, 2007
Wow, my plan to hire other cheap mercs failed miserably. After liberating chitzena and drassen my existing crew was at level 6-7. So I hired MD and Barry... Well these guys can hardly keep up with Grunty, Buns, Igor and Meltdown even if I give them better equipment. I guess the big problem is that I can't at this point do anything reliably with them, as they do not get the expected amount of interrupts and they'll be interrupted constantly.

Looks like I am going to keep them both, and do what I initially planned against and hire Ice, Wolf and Raven to make a decent second crew. Buns is already more expensive than Wolf and Ice and looks like she'll be overtaking Raven in cost soon.

Also after Cambria(Omerta + Drassen + Cambria + Chitzena = 4?) I will hire he rebels. I guess in Cambria I will have to let my main team sit, repair and train while I let the new comers to intercept a few patrols in order to gain a some levels.

Edit: Is there point using ACOG (4x scope) over the battle scope?

captain_g fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 2, 2012

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

SpookyLizard posted:

that sucks for you, iv'e never really had too many problems missing dudes that I could hit otherwise. Can you actually hit single dudes at once?

yes.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Man, it's the little things that make this game great. Raven just shot guy in the head about 50 squares away... not that special right? She shot the dude in the head THROUGH the head of my IMP merc standing in front of her.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

captain_g posted:

Edit: Is there point using ACOG (4x scope) over the battle scope?

It depends. Are you using NCTH? If you aren't, then no, just use the best scope you've got. If you are, scopes have a minimum range where you'll lose accuracy if you're trying to shoot at an enemy closer than that, so downgrading scopes becomes important if you're fighting at close range.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

hairrorist posted:

Man, it's the little things that make this game great. Raven just shot guy in the head about 50 squares away... not that special right? She shot the dude in the head THROUGH the head of my IMP merc standing in front of her.

The headsplatters never get old. Dimitri threw a knife at a soldier's head and the poor dude's head exploded. Dimitri's got a hell of a throwing arm :black101:

Then I hired Conrad in Alma, sent him running past the open door to the command center, and a lucky sniper round blew his head up, too. Yeah, I used to make sick jokes about that kind of thing, until it happened to one too many of my friends. Not funny anymore.

I just finished probably the most fun fight I've had in this game in a while. Went to retake the sector of Alma with the 2 long warehouses at night. Everyone slipped NVGs on and sprinted into the northern warehouse. Total, complete chaos. With just NVG gens 1 and 2 on visible range was only a few tiles behind all the crates/barrels in the warehouse so bullets are flying everywhere, my IMP is shooting buckshot left and right, Dimitri's tossing frags at explosive barrels and causing beeg booms, my SMG mercs are sprinting through the crates unloading bursts at anyone they run into. Dimitri stun grenades a redshirt, steals his shotgun, executes him with it and laughs maniacally. Once the north warehouse is clear, I send my IMP, Barry and Blood to clear the south warehouse. They see a couple of dudes creeping around the oxygen tanks, Blood takes a few shots with the SL8 and kills one, Barry flanks south to peek through a window, and my IMP gets an interrupt. Last shell in his SPAS12, he shoots the oxygen tanks, blows the soldier up, and Barry takes one last shot through the window to end the fight.

Whole thing felt like a great hectic action sequence. I really wish JA2 had more close quarter/indoor combat and more movement. The way the turnbased system works, movement just costs too much and you automatically switch to turnbased as soon as you spot an enemy. So what happens is you send your squad in, see a guy, everyone goes prone, snipe the first guy, the rest of the enemies run towards you and you shoot them one by one from the same position. It's boring, but if you try to get up and run towards them they shoot you to pieces and you don't get any interrupts because you dared move more than 2 tiles last turn.

I'd love to mod the game somehow so movement costs are halved or quartered to encourage actually moving/flanking tactically. I have no clue how to do that, though.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Movement is pretty outrageously expensive. Its hard to balance though, without making melee super powerful.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bilal posted:

Whole thing felt like a great hectic action sequence. I really wish JA2 had more close quarter/indoor combat and more movement. The way the turnbased system works, movement just costs too much and you automatically switch to turnbased as soon as you spot an enemy. So what happens is you send your squad in, see a guy, everyone goes prone, snipe the first guy, the rest of the enemies run towards you and you shoot them one by one from the same position. It's boring, but if you try to get up and run towards them they shoot you to pieces and you don't get any interrupts because you dared move more than 2 tiles last turn.

I'd love to mod the game somehow so movement costs are halved or quartered to encourage actually moving/flanking tactically. I have no clue how to do that, though.
My close-quarter stuff generally involves Dmitri sneaking up on somebody and throwing a knife into their back/head for an instant silent kill. Otherwise, yeah, the system supports getting into position and shooting guys as they show up mostly.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bilal posted:

Turn on “real-time sneaking” if you haven't tried it already.

As long as you aren't spotted and no-one lives long enough to raise an alarm, you can be in pretty much constant non-turnbased and sneak around to get everyone in the perfect spot for the next kill. It removes that whole “automatic turn-based” bit as long as the opponents aren't taking any combat actions, and you decide when to trigger turn-based, often for a single turn (or even a single action). This gets particularly interesting once you've collected a couple of high-end binoculars and can send people out to act as spotters for the people further back who keep popping everyone with silenced marksman/sniper rifles.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
So basically outfitting everyone with scopes. Shooting off a wild round and aiming while standing at the beginning of a sector, then sniping every redshirt on the planet is all you need to do liberate a town... Hurm.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

God Of Paradise posted:

So basically outfitting everyone with scopes. Shooting off a wild round and aiming while standing at the beginning of a sector, then sniping every redshirt on the planet is all you need to do liberate a town... Hurm.

Eventually this will get you pelted with grenades and huge bursts of machine gun fire (and the bad guys eventually start using snipers of their own), but for the first, oh, ~20% of the game, yeah you can pretty much do this. Sort of. Some places (like Tixa and the Grumm warehouse) have enemies that don't go outside, so you have to hunt them down indoors. And then you start running into tanks. I think blackshirts are normally smart enough not to charge into you as well (particularly the aforementioned snipers). So it's really only the first 1-3 towns and a couple of SAM sites at the outside that that strategy remains effective. And even then you'll probably lose a few mercs in the process.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tippis posted:

Turn on “real-time sneaking” if you haven't tried it already.

What's the key for this again? I couldn't find it last time.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the key for this again? I couldn't find it last time.

In the [CD]-looking settings menu that has the save and load stuff, it's one of the many options, it might be on the second page (hit next to scroll to the third column)

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Keith the general store owner isn't showing up for me in Cambria G9. I have a 100% loyalty and lots of militia, but he's not in his store. I just figured I could sell all my kevlar and old armor to him.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Copper Vein posted:

Keith the general store owner isn't showing up for me in Cambria G9. I have a 100% loyalty and lots of militia, but he's not in his store. I just figured I could sell all my kevlar and old armor to him.

Is it night? He's only around during day 9:00-18:00. And he doesn't have all that much cash to spare on buying your stuff, 1500 per day or so

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
14:15 and he's nowhere to be seen.

Is there anybody worth lugging kevlar and spectra to? Am I better off just selling it at sector?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm thinking about starting a new game with really slow item progression, but I still want to end up with the best equipment in the end. What's the optimal Bobby Selection and item progression? And should I change some .ini settings so the enemies don't turn up with Shrikes while I'm trucking around with pistols?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Selling kevlar isn't really worth the effort of lugging it around unless you're really strapped for cash. Dunno about spectra.

captain_g
Aug 24, 2007
Wow, Buns just got more expensive than Ivan. Her leadership is 60, all stats very nice and her marksmanship is awesome but with this many mercs I can't justify spending 20k a week on her alone. Grunty is half less, but better merc overall.

MD seems like a character you should take day 1 or not at all. His stats improve a lot and fast and in my opinion he is a lot more solid (and less annoying than Ira). So what I am doing now, Ice, MD, Barry and Raven are doing sorties around the middle town and its sam site while rest of the crew is repairing and training militia.

Also, don't worry about Bobby Ray's progression. I set it to normal, which means slow, and I already have steyer paras on each merc, one P90, KAC's sniper rifle, most of my mercs are carrying either nicest AK derivatives or nice ARs and I just got Scar-L. Main autoweapons guy is carrying around a rod&springed MG36, ice has para and some unremarkable machine gun. I still have Alma, Balime and Grumm left. What I am lacking is scopes though, but after Alma, I am pretty sure I have all the scopes that I ever want.

Right now I am going start small arms trading operation with Haywire and Razor in order to sell all those nice guns to Tony.

Also, I am not playing with Drop All on. Just my opinion, but the game is the best with Drassen Counter Attack Off, Bobby Ray's Normal and Drop All off.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

What about "Progress speed of item choices" though? What exactly does that do?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Could we get some write ups on how to get/things to know about skyrider, ice cream truck and humvee for the OP? A bit about bugs (tactics, royal jelly) and the robot would be good too.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah Skyrider can be completely missed for literally entire playthroughs if you never payed attention to a single civilian in a building. There's not much to say about the ice cream truck though, just walk around Arulco until you find Hamous.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Carecat posted:

Could we get some write ups on how to get/things to know about skyrider, ice cream truck and humvee for the OP? A bit about bugs (tactics, royal jelly) and the robot would be good too.

There's a few in-depth guides on Gamefaqs that cover all the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

This spoilerific Map has all the possible major quest locations.