Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Post itt if you ever shot Fatima's son on day one only to see if it's possible :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Frungy! posted:

Yeah, JA2 and the original Fallout games come to mind. I don't remember JA2 causing any controversy or getting censored because of this though.

FO2 Invisible, Pickpocketing Children censorship bug = the best bug

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
Let's talk about Man of Prey/Marauder because it's on special for $2.49

Had to find that post about Cam_UseAngles false, really loving this game. For some reason though, I can't watch the intro video without it freezing at the jets.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012
I had that same problem. The audio keeps going but my Russian isn't good enough to keep up, I've just been watching the cutscenes that Tin Tim uploaded for his LP http://lparchive.org/Marauder-Man-of-Prey/ Has anyone else had trouble with doors? I'm trying to loot the apartments outside the Culture Hall but Akhmet can't seem to walk close enough to the door to open it.

This game is drat hard too, think I spent over an hour replaying that first fight right after the tutorial ends before I got the hang of the combat and survived.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
Yeah I spent awhile in that first area, figuring out poo poo like the inventory system. So drat true yet pretty drat unco having to actually equip a single lockpick to pick locks. Then inventory management goes to hell once you start scaving up a ton of poo poo.

e: Welp finally managed to crash my game by trying to add a pistol laser module to my modded PP91

Wait what, maybe modding weapons over in the culture hall just fucks things up

Booty Pageant fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 8, 2014

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Lenisto posted:

Has anyone else had trouble with doors? I'm trying to loot the apartments outside the Culture Hall but Akhmet can't seem to walk close enough to the door to open it.
This place is supposed to be closed for now. You can visit it if you take a sidequest later on though. It too threw me off at first :v:

Lenisto posted:

I had that same problem. The audio keeps going but my Russian isn't good enough to keep up, I've just been watching the cutscenes that Tin Tim uploaded for his LP http://lparchive.org/Marauder-Man-of-Prey/
I never figured out what makes the scenes gently caress up, thought Steam may have fixed it but I guess they also couldn't. I still suspect some codec fuckery, but good luck finding out which one. Anyway, aside from my uploads, the AVIs are in the game folder, and the translations are in .sub files that you can read. Not a good solution, but at least something. Though, I did the subs on my uploads by hand, and timed them a bit better imo.

Lenisto posted:

This game is drat hard too, think I spent over an hour replaying that first fight right after the tutorial ends before I got the hang of the combat and survived.
Welcome to the world of Russian tactic games :)

The best tip I can give on the fly is to stay mobile. Don't hug your cover too long, or enemies will flank you and they also get more accurate after taking shots at the same target. It's best to keep moving after firing a shot or two. And of course, waiting with a raised shotty behind a corner works great when a guy follows your trail.

s0m3 guy posted:

e: Welp finally managed to crash my game by trying to add a pistol laser module to my modded PP91

Wait what, maybe modding weapons over in the culture hall just fucks things up
Could be? Never had that happen myself.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
What's everyone's general metastrategy anyway? I tend to have two squads; one main combat squad filled with IMPs, snipers, and mechanical/explosive experts. A second squad to garrison what they take and clear the roads and squads moving outside the cities.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012
I like to hire a lot of mercs. Generally have two somewhat similar squads: Flexible teams with a couple riflemen, a grenadier, heavy weapons, LMG, and snipers. If I need to do a stealthy night-ops run, I'll pull the IMPs and scout-snipers (plus any other dedicated night ops folks) into their own squad for a bit. Then I've got a third squad that's full of doctors, teachers, and gently caress-ups (Ira, Gumpy) who hold the line, heal everyone up, and train militia.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Drakenel posted:

What's everyone's general metastrategy anyway? I tend to have two squads; one main combat squad filled with IMPs, snipers, and mechanical/explosive experts. A second squad to garrison what they take and clear the roads and squads moving outside the cities.

I shove everyone I have into the combat squads, minus dedicated militia trainers and terrible cheap local mercs like Shank, who I stick into an extra squad and have them ride around in the icecream truck to bring supplies, ferry loot and sit around repairing gear while the main squads move on.

Even the mercs who aren't very good (Ira, Dmitri, Maddog) can still still be of use spraying suppressive fire with guns that use cheap and plentiful ammo. Hamous will always hold a place in my heart (and a spot in the main squads) with his dumb lines and because I once got my icecream truck stolen after I left a sector without driving it out, got frustruated and sent Hamous on a solo suicide mission to buy the jeep near Balime. He survived the trip, and even managed to deal with a small patrol that invaded the sector during the night with nothing but his dinky .38 revolver and a half-broken throwing knife. Had to send everybody down to extract him once he picked up the jeep though. Thought I could just drive the jeep straight north through the desert to Cambria. :v:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So I tried the newer build of 1.13 with the proper resolution, and it's still blurry.

Guess it's off to the Bear Pit with me.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Martello posted:

So I tried the newer build of 1.13 with the proper resolution, and it's still blurry.

Check your video card settings to make sure it's set to maintain aspect ratio. If it's not, what's probably happening is that it's stretching the image to fit a widescreen resolution, since most displays these days are 16:9 or 16:10, and JA2's normal resolution options are all 4:3.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Check your video card settings to make sure it's set to maintain aspect ratio. If it's not, what's probably happening is that it's stretching the image to fit a widescreen resolution, since most displays these days are 16:9 or 16:10, and JA2's normal resolution options are all 4:3.

I'm pretty sure its something related to fullscreen and windowed mode. Did you edit the .ini file?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

s0m3 guy posted:

Let's talk about Man of Prey/Marauder because it's on special for $2.49

Had to find that post about Cam_UseAngles false, really loving this game. For some reason though, I can't watch the intro video without it freezing at the jets.

Bought the game a few days ago and it seems to be really good and addictive. Hard as hell and a bit buggy (I'm getting the freezing intro video too), but the firefights are fun and tense and I like the bleak Russian atmosphere.

Leaving loot like guns, flasks and lockpicks behind is driving me crazy, but I had fun being anal and carefully searching through the first map and hiding every piece of loot that I couldn't take with me so that I can come back and get them later. I doubt it's even worth the effort but I just can't leave all those Makarovs and shotguns lying on the ground. :spergin:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Frungy! posted:

Bought the game a few days ago and it seems to be really good and addictive. Hard as hell and a bit buggy (I'm getting the freezing intro video too), but the firefights are fun and tense and I like the bleak Russian atmosphere.

Leaving loot like guns, flasks and lockpicks behind is driving me crazy, but I had fun being anal and carefully searching through the first map and hiding every piece of loot that I couldn't take with me so that I can come back and get them later. I doubt it's even worth the effort but I just can't leave all those Makarovs and shotguns lying on the ground. :spergin:
Haha, yeah, this game tortures your inner packrat. But guns usually don't sell for much, so don't feel bad for leaving them. Smaller stuff like food, and especially medicine, is much more valuable. There are a few high end guns that'll sell for a neat price, but they only come up in the late game. Also, there are only a few maps that you'll see again, so stashing loot is useless on most missions. A good tip to maximize your haul is to use multiple backpacks/vests when you leave an area. Like, you'll find container items in later maps, or on dead enemies, and you can carry a fully stuffed container in each of your hands. Akhmet will move slow as hell, but there is no danger of ambushes in this game.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I did that, nothing. I changed my actual display to 1280x800 and then did the same in JA2, also no luck.

TerryLennox posted:

I'm pretty sure its something related to fullscreen and windowed mode. Did you edit the .ini file?

I haven't edited it directly, just used the ini editor program. And I can't run windowed, it tells me the whole system will need to be set to 16-bit and it can't do it.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Martello posted:

Try taking a screenshot while ingame and post it up here.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Tin Tim posted:

Haha, yeah, this game tortures your inner packrat. But guns usually don't sell for much, so don't feel bad for leaving them. Smaller stuff like food, and especially medicine, is much more valuable. There are a few high end guns that'll sell for a neat price, but they only come up in the late game. Also, there are only a few maps that you'll see again, so stashing loot is useless on most missions. A good tip to maximize your haul is to use multiple backpacks/vests when you leave an area. Like, you'll find container items in later maps, or on dead enemies, and you can carry a fully stuffed container in each of your hands. Akhmet will move slow as hell, but there is no danger of ambushes in this game.

Thanks for the tips, will certainly save me some time, and I'll be sure to hang on to some extra backpacks.

Is there a way to make Akhmet to shoot until the target is dead, out of range or the gun runs out of ammo, or do I just have to click each shot separately?

Got to the second day now and sadly it seems that each video will start slowing down and freezing after a while. It's very annoying and I have no idea what could be causing it, but at least I can watch them properly from your LP.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Damegane posted:

Try taking a screenshot while ingame and post it up here.

That's in 1280x800. Note how some parts of the screen are blurred and others aren't. If I hover the mouse over something, like the look/turn button, the tooltip will pop up sharp for a second, and the button usually looks clear for a moment too. Then everything goes back to a blur.

While it may have something to do with my graphics card, the cards (SLI) definitely work. I run Rome II at full settings with quick load times and no slowdowns.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Frungy! posted:

Is there a way to make Akhmet to shoot until the target is dead, out of range or the gun runs out of ammo, or do I just have to click each shot separately?

Got to the second day now and sadly it seems that each video will start slowing down and freezing after a while. It's very annoying and I have no idea what could be causing it, but at least I can watch them properly from your LP.
Iirc, holding ALT while clicking on an enemy will change shoot cursor to "fire until dead". Loosing a target or running out of ammo automatically breaks this action.

And I too never figured out what fucks up the videos! You can also watch the AVI files in your game folder, and read the translation in .sub files.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Tin Tim posted:

Iirc, holding ALT while clicking on an enemy will change shoot cursor to "fire until dead". Loosing a target or running out of ammo automatically breaks this action.

Cheers, that sure came in handy while fighting Fatman's goons. Too bad that the game crashes whenever I try to attach a laser pointer to his sweet APS pistol. Happens with the Makarov as well. Oh well, at least I haven't encountered anything game breaking yet.

Edit: Seems like the game doesn't crash if you just drop the pointer on the pistol instead of opening the information screen first.

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 13, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man the food mod is terrible. It's not terrible in itself but it results in a really annoying game mechanic. I needed to turn Ira into a mobile kitchen to stop people from starving.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Martello posted:

That's in 1280x800. Note how some parts of the screen are blurred and others aren't. If I hover the mouse over something, like the look/turn button, the tooltip will pop up sharp for a second, and the button usually looks clear for a moment too. Then everything goes back to a blur.

While it may have something to do with my graphics card, the cards (SLI) definitely work. I run Rome II at full settings with quick load times and no slowdowns.

This definitely isn't due to pixels stretching to fill up your screen. It looks like something ran some kind of smoothing filter over the graphics. My suggestion is to go through your graphics card's settings (NVIDIA control panel, not sure what the ATI equivalent is called) and see if there is some kind of smoothing or filtering option, deactivate it, and see what happens.

I saw your screenshot and was instantly reminded of the terribad filter options in the recent PC port of Metal Slug 3. It's the exact same kind of blurriness.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Looking for the word "morphological" in the video card preferences is a good place to start, in my experience.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
Anyone try out Jagged Alliance Online? It doesn't look particularly good, but I figured I'd see what the general opinion of it was.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mash posted:

Anyone try out Jagged Alliance Online? It doesn't look particularly good, but I figured I'd see what the general opinion of it was.

For a F2P game that can be played in a browser it is sort of ok, but it hasn't got a chance against 2. At least from what I played of the early stuff.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Mash posted:

I got a Beta key early on, and it was grindy and meh. From what I heard, it improved a bit since then, but nobody that I know says that it's a good use of your time.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Martello posted:

That's pretty weird. I would try disabling SLI for this game to see if it works.

This is my configuration for a 1.13 mod.

http://imgur.com/Rv4avzA

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Getting back into this game again, it's just so great! Somebody mentioned that New Chance to Hit is bugged? Are there any fixed versions out there, or am I just going to have to use Old Chance to Hit and not be able to aim burst/auto fire?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Davin Valkri posted:

Getting back into this game again, it's just so great! Somebody mentioned that New Chance to Hit is bugged? Are there any fixed versions out there, or am I just going to have to use Old Chance to Hit and not be able to aim burst/auto fire?

It's "bugged" because the values aren't properly balanced, and they tend to veer way off on the opposite side of "headshot game" that you see in late-game vanilla into "use only auto-fire always" territory. The only mod that went through the work of properly implementing the new values is Arulco Folding Stock.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Bouchacha posted:

It's "bugged" because the values aren't properly balanced, and they tend to veer way off on the opposite side of "headshot game" that you see in late-game vanilla into "use only auto-fire always" territory. The only mod that went through the work of properly implementing the new values is Arulco Folding Stock.

And it owns.

Never not use AFS. :v: Probably the only negative thing I can say about it is that it adds a shitload of .22 guns that get obsoleted very, very quickly (maybe aside from the American-180, this thing is loving death against unarmored enemies) and that there's no version with the awesome Wildfire maps.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

M.Ciaster posted:

And it owns.

Never not use AFS. :v: Probably the only negative thing I can say about it is that it adds a shitload of .22 guns that get obsoleted very, very quickly (maybe aside from the American-180, this thing is loving death against unarmored enemies) and that there's no version with the awesome Wildfire maps.

You should still be able to import the wildfire maps separately though, same way you do it for the base 1.13 (which I would describe for you here except I'm posting from my phone and don't have the method handy; someone else can probably explain it)

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Damegane posted:

I shove everyone I have into the combat squads, minus dedicated militia trainers and terrible cheap local mercs like Shank, who I stick into an extra squad and have them ride around in the icecream truck to bring supplies, ferry loot and sit around repairing gear while the main squads move on.

This, one main squad and a few dedicated militia trainers dotted around high-conflict zones.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

TerryLennox posted:

That's pretty weird. I would try disabling SLI for this game to see if it works.

This is my configuration for a 1.13 mod.

http://imgur.com/Rv4avzA

I finally figured it out. I found an application-specific setting menu on my NVIDIA control panel and disabled all filters for JA2. Looks great now. Thanks for everyone's help.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
So I've installed the latest version of 1.13 from July 5th or so, started a new game using OCTH, and I loving cant hit anything. All my rounds don't even go near the circle. No matter if I'm using single shot or burst or whatever. Takes half a mag until one of my rounds magically hits the guy. What did I do wrong? I remember when playing a older version of 1.13 from years ago I could actually hit things.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Dotcom656 posted:

So I've installed the latest version of 1.13 from July 5th or so, started a new game using OCTH, and I loving cant hit anything. All my rounds don't even go near the circle. No matter if I'm using single shot or burst or whatever. Takes half a mag until one of my rounds magically hits the guy. What did I do wrong? I remember when playing a older version of 1.13 from years ago I could actually hit things.

Yeah, I tried the same version a while ago and couldn't hit poo poo, no matter which gun or merc I was using. Had to run right next to the enemies to hit them without wasting most of my ammo on one guy. I like most of the new features but if poo poo accuracy is intentional, I will stick to the old version.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007

Frungy! posted:

Yeah, I tried the same version a while ago and couldn't hit poo poo, no matter which gun or merc I was using. Had to run right next to the enemies to hit them without wasting most of my ammo on one guy. I like most of the new features but if poo poo accuracy is intentional, I will stick to the old version.

Which version are most people rolling with? The 4870 version linked in the OP?

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Dotcom656 posted:

Which version are most people rolling with? The 4870 version linked in the OP?

I like using the latest builds supported by the mods I use. We should add, disable NCTH, in the OP. Its a badly balanced feature that was abandoned by its creator when he dissapeared.

edit> You can only disable NCTH from the initial options you choose when you start the game.

TerryLennox fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 18, 2014

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007

TerryLennox posted:

I like using the latest builds supported by the mods I use. We should add, disable NCTH, in the OP. Its a badly balanced feature that was abandoned by its creator when he dissapeared.

I wasn't using NCTH in this latest version, but my ability to hit anything was abysmal. I'll double check though.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Can I play AIMNAS without the big maps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

UncleSmoothie posted:

Can I play AIMNAS without the big maps?
I saved the last small map version on my Mediafire.

AIMNAS V21

I guess I should post this every now and again, so peeps don't have to search through all my posts itt :v: