Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Where in the INI for the new stable can you use old chance to hit? Or is it an option in the game's menu? I really want to play with the new features, but not being able to hit anything really sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dotcom656 posted:

Where in the INI for the new stable can you use old chance to hit? Or is it an option in the game's menu? I really want to play with the new features, but not being able to hit anything really sucks.

When you start a new game it lets you pick what chance to hit you want. It's been that way since the last stable release I believe.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Did they actually adjust NCTH at all for this new stable release?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

garth ferengi posted:

Did they actually adjust NCTH at all for this new stable release?
According to the people I spoke with it has been tweaked quite a bit, and should work now. Though, take that with a grain of salt as I've not tested it myself, and your perspective on how it works may differ. If people base their perception on the state of the 4870 release, then it should be a whole nother world. I personally checked it last around the early 6er revision range, and wasn't very satisfied with it as it still was too dependant on scopes and other attachements iirc.

I'll start a campaign with the new release in a few days, and then give my impression.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
Good to see there's finally a new official release. I've been grabbing unstable releases every few months but haven't really played much past Drassen each time. Last time I played, I gave my IMP max covert ops skill just to mess with it. It can be effective for clearing a sector but only if you quicksavescum. The effectiveness of the garrote seems really random. Also once you've killed a couple of guys the other ones all run around together which makes killing them unseen next to impossible.

So whatever I do with my next game, I won't focus on covert ops. I may, however, do a themed 6-IMP run of some sort where one of the IMPs has some covert ops skill.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
This should be interesting.

I just did Omerta. Lester, Malvo, Numbers, and Molly each got a kill. Molly finished the last guy after Numbers wounded him. She knocked him out and stole his crappy Makarov + mags before finishing him off. Picked up Ira but she's going to be 100% militia training and doctoring after we take the airport.

Kippling
Jun 24, 2005

And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?
Does anyone know if you can make changes to the ini file mid-game? I set the "REASSIGN_PENDING_REINFORCEMENTS" option to TRUE, but it's actually made the game too easy. I want to turn it back off, but I'm wondering if I'll have to restart (again) for the change to take effect.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

CaptainWinky posted:

No expert traits? A shameful imp unit :v:

Kippling posted:

Does anyone know if you can make changes to the ini file mid-game? I set the "REASSIGN_PENDING_REINFORCEMENTS" option to TRUE, but it's actually made the game too easy. I want to turn it back off, but I'm wondering if I'll have to restart (again) for the change to take effect.
It's pretty hard to answer that if you don't have deep knowledge of the code and stuff. Some things can be changed on the fly, others can't. Either ask in the Pit or just try it out.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

CaptainWinky posted:

I just did Omerta. Lester, Malvo, Numbers, and Molly each got a kill. Molly finished the last guy after Numbers wounded him. She knocked him out and stole his crappy Makarov + mags before finishing him off. Picked up Ira but she's going to be 100% militia training and doctoring after we take the airport.

Looks like a fun party for sure.

Will someone make an ISIS Archer party? Season 5 was a let down so I haven't binged through the series in awhile. Having trouble deciding on the appropriate traits :v:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Hey folks! So I started a campaign with the current stable release to check out NCTH, and I still think that it's garbage. Like, the beginning was bullshit hard due to mercs with 80 aim shooting like retards, and I had to scum real hard. And of course, since lots of mercs start with rather little ammo in their gear, you can blow through that really fast if the RNG does not like you. I guess NCTH gets better once you have some attachements and guns with a decent base accuracy rating, but I really didn't enjoy what I played, and had no will to keep trying. My sniper IMP with a 2x scope on her 10mm smg didn't perform much better than her counterpart without a scope soo I don't know. I do agree that NCTHs aim of making you shoot more is the way to go, but the balance is still out of whack imo. I mean, as it is now, it basically forces you to get real close to tighten the circle, which doesn't even mean that you're sure to hit. And then you'll get shot in the face because the AI can afford to shoot twenty times at you. I'd be interested to hear from other folks that tried the current build with NCTH though, maybe it's just a personal distaste thing for me.

Oh, and I'd also suggest to not use the new counter attack setting. All it means is that every town you'll take will get swarmed a few days later. Like, I expected it to mean that the queen goes hard after you've made a little holding for yourself, but was greeted by 80 soliders on expert after taking Chitzena on like day four. I know how to deal with the drassen counter this early, but it's not fun to play. And gently caress doing this in the open crap map that Chitzena mine is. With pistols and like two shotguns.

I'll restart with OCTH, no new counters, and just the drassen attack like before.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I wanted to fool around with NCTH so I cheated in a Sniper Imp with 100 marksmen and she misses like half her shots while prone with a 10x Scope (I forget the sniper rifle she's using. .. Something-1) so I'm not super happy about it. I may remake using the old system.

The system wide counter attacks are pretty rough too. On insane it's like 3 waves of 80 elite dudes each trying to retake Alma so it gets really hairy really fast.

That said I'm really enjoying some of the new stuff (feed belts are loving awesome, so are sandbags) and the Molle system is good once I got a better handle on it. Having a ton of Mercs added is cool too. Time to bring everyone the joy of Hurl.

I'm still not certain how to get weapons to rest weapons tho, my snipers never seem to do it, strangely enough Shadow constantly does it with his P90.

Mobile militia is still useless tho, even with the Strategic Command. I haven't had the opportunity to use PMC yet. Some of the traits are near useless as well. Spotter seemed useful but in reality it's such a small bonus it's better to just have another gun (especially in NCTH) although it is good for not getting ambushed. Covert Ops doesn't seem that great but that's probably due to me being unable to figure out how to manipulate downed enemies.

One feature I wish they'd implement is equipment layouts. Every one gets the same armor and sidearm (loving Large Holster is a godsend), it would be really nice if I could just import those onto every merc.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's with the really limited starting ammo supply now anyway? Last time I tried to play I couldn't even clear the Drassen airport without mercs running totally out of ammo - and that was WITH drop all on and scavenging weapons from the enemies in Omerta.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Who's in the JA:F beta, and how's it shaping up so far? They announced a mid/late Oct launch date, so I'd hope it's in decent condish right now.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Does anybody know if Arulco Folding stock 4.48 works on the stable release? Or do I need to get a new unstable to play it?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
If the thread in the bears pit proper doesnt specify, just download it and try it yourself. Expect bugs maybe? AFS is the only way to do NCTH.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What's with the really limited starting ammo supply now anyway? Last time I tried to play I couldn't even clear the Drassen airport without mercs running totally out of ammo - and that was WITH drop all on and scavenging weapons from the enemies in Omerta.
I suspect the game has been made more "difficult" overall. Like, I wasn't aware that dropped guns now also have their max durability lowered, and can only be fixed by gunsmiths on the map if you don't change it in the ini. Also, after taking my first town, it got attacked by the usual elite squad but they also coordinated with a patrol to hit me at the same time. Good stuff and I hope that's supposed to happen.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, if you run into an enemy squad, they'll call all adjacent sectors to help. If you plan your attacks wrong, you could end up with an additional platoon pouring in from all map edges besides the basic, entrenched enemy presence.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

scamtank posted:

Yeah, if you run into an enemy squad, they'll call all adjacent sectors to help. If you plan your attacks wrong, you could end up with an additional platoon pouring in from all map edges besides the basic, entrenched enemy presence.
Nah, that's just the old reinforcement mechanic that has been around since forever. What I saw was kinda like the drassen counter attack, but much less insane. It just looked like the army AI can coordinate attacks a tiny bit better than before, and actually moves multiple squads so that they can support each other. Hitting me with an elite squad from the south, while the bigger patrol rushes my flank is kinda clever and I would have done the same in their shoes. But, it only happened once and may have been a coincidence. I'll mention it when the army AI does more clever stuff in the future.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
As an amendment to my earlier comment I forgot with NCTH that a lot of other equipment has significant effects on AP and CTH. Dyn Armour has something like -6 CTH while the Swat has like -3 AP.

Making the equipment adjustments for my snipers has greatly improved their hit percentage.

Now to just figure out why people with the exact same skills and equipment have wildly different camo ratings.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Kris xK posted:

As an amendment to my earlier comment I forgot with NCTH that a lot of other equipment has significant effects on AP and CTH. Dyn Armour has something like -6 CTH while the Swat has like -3 AP.

Making the equipment adjustments for my snipers has greatly improved their hit percentage.

Now to just figure out why people with the exact same skills and equipment have wildly different camo ratings.

I believe that each merc has a hidden camo stat. In vanilla, it is why shadow had permanent 100% camo.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
Fargo playthrough is going well. I've taken Drassen, Chitzena, and half of Cambria. The Drassen mine ran out so I'd like to finish Cambria soon. Besides the six Fargo characters I have a B Team consisting of Ira, Dimitri, Maddog, Hamous, Manuel, and now this guy. Hell yes.

He got grazed but no big deal. He's seen worse. He was in the neighborhood watch, you know.

John doesn't have the ambidextrous trait but I have him using his dual custom .50 Beowulf handcannons anyway. He has a Mosin from the early campaign for long-range but he'll be getting up close and personal whenever he can.

scamtank posted:

I found that the new Radio Operator skill is helpful for dealing with this. I gave Lester Radio Operator so he started with a radio set in his inventory. One of the options it gives you is jamming communications which prevents the enemy from pulling reinforcements. After the radio guy has set his radio to jam, he can continue fighting as usual.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

gently caress me, I started my first game with 1.13 and did what I always do, try to take Drassen. The airport is fine, I thought there was a lot of enemies in the bar area but holy poo poo there's like 20 guys in the mine area and I'm already low on ammo and my guys are a bit hosed up. My main merc has a silenced SMG though, think I'll try and go in solo at night and clear a bunch of dudes out before bringing in the gang.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
punching doesnt use any ammo

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CaptainWinky posted:

Fargo playthrough is going well. I've taken Drassen, Chitzena, and half of Cambria. The Drassen mine ran out so I'd like to finish Cambria soon. Besides the six Fargo characters I have a B Team consisting of Ira, Dimitri, Maddog, Hamous, Manuel, and now this guy. Hell yes.

He got grazed but no big deal. He's seen worse. He was in the neighborhood watch, you know.

John doesn't have the ambidextrous trait but I have him using his dual custom .50 Beowulf handcannons anyway. He has a Mosin from the early campaign for long-range but he'll be getting up close and personal whenever he can.

I found that the new Radio Operator skill is helpful for dealing with this. I gave Lester Radio Operator so he started with a radio set in his inventory. One of the options it gives you is jamming communications which prevents the enemy from pulling reinforcements. After the radio guy has set his radio to jam, he can continue fighting as usual.

Haha, he liked his vacations so much he decided to come back!

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Man, I feel like I'm in a rut with this game. On one hand, experienced difficulty doesn't offer much of a body count, on the other hand expert gives me handfuls of black shirts, which break the game by giving me Scouts with 7x scopes and M4 Commandos with AR silencers before I can even properly reinforce Drassen with militia, completely negating any need for bobby rays. But without drop all on I can't get near Drassen without running out of ammo, and I kind of like the black shirts. So now I'm just going over the beginning again and again getting bored around the time I clear out Drassen and its surrounding patrols.

Sapo
Dec 1, 2010

Just edit the ammo drop XML to 90% or so, and play without drop all.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Has anyone tried combining AFS with the newest stable release to see if it still works? Just wondering before I go through the effort myself.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Broose posted:

Has anyone tried combining AFS with the newest stable release to see if it still works? Just wondering before I go through the effort myself.

I did and it works perfectly. Some ini values aren't defined, but it doesn't break anything. I am getting a weird crash when I switch the 3-9x scope from 9x to 6x during combat, but it might just be random wonkery

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Wait, you have to manually change the power level on the variable power scopes? I thought that just meant it would use the best bonus available so you wouldn't have to deal with using a 9x scope on a target better suited to a 3x scope.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
Has something changed with tripwire traps? I can't place a tripwire and a mine on the same tile to connect them to a network. If I place a mine and then try to put a tripwire on top, or vice versa, my merc just points out that the tile is trapped and I can't do anything else. I know I was able to do this when tripwires first came out.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
I caught Flugente on IRC and he told me that changes to the bomb placement code messed up placing tripwire, which is why I was having problems. I can still make traps but I have to be a little more careful about how I set them up.

So I set up a trap with two stun grenades and two mustard gas grenades. The idea is that the stun grenades will knock the victims back into the gas clouds and prevent them from being able to get up and get out of the gas. I also collected a few junk shotguns from several battles so I loaded them with flechette rounds, put duckbills on them, and rigged them with tripwire. The next night, 10 guys attacked Tixa. I couldn't even see the enemies but I heard the thumps of the stun grenades, the hissing of the gas grenades, and then the three shotguns going off. loving glorious.

One drawback of the gun traps is that the enemy can pick up the gun from the ground after the trap is triggered. Somebody took one of my shotguns. They never got a chance to use it and they dropped it again, but the duckbill attachment is missing now. I guess the only way to prevent this is to make sure that only one shell is in each gun when setting the trap, but that's kinda awkward.

CaptainWinky fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 20, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's amazing. This loving game.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

CaptainWinky posted:

The idea is that the stun grenades will knock the victims back into the gas clouds and prevent them from being able to get up and get out of the gas.
:respek:

Hello can I hire you for my mercenary unit?

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
There's a new patch for the stable release:
http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/327457#Post327457

If you've been having any issues try it out. Your current save should be compatible. It fixed an issue I was having when trying to hire Iggy that led to the game crashing.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I just learned about JA: Flashback (how the gently caress did I missed that?) and Im very excited about it, as JA2 is still my favorite game of all times and "Back in Action" was kinda of a disappointment.

Does it have a thread here in SA? Does anyone here played the alpha?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Don't think so. This thread is sort of a catchall thread for Jagged Alliance and other, similar games. Usually 7.62 and Marauder.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

I just learned about JA: Flashback (how the gently caress did I missed that?) and Im very excited about it, as JA2 is still my favorite game of all times and "Back in Action" was kinda of a disappointment.

Does it have a thread here in SA? Does anyone here played the alpha?

I backed it and yeah, played a bit of it.
Its just another Back in Action. Although at this point we probably shouldn't be surprised that a new JA game turns out to be boring poo poo that doesn't understand what made JA good.

The devs keep complaining that they'll never be create something the fans want, so why are they doing it? :psyduck:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

StabMasterArson posted:

Its just another Back in Action. Although at this point we probably shouldn't be surprised that a new JA game turns out to be boring poo poo that doesn't understand what made JA good.

The devs keep complaining that they'll never be create something the fans want, so why are they doing it? :psyduck:

Oh well. Ive read an interview with one the devs recently and it sounded so promising. But it is turn based, right?

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

StabMasterArson posted:

It's still being worked on, dude. poo poo, they only added stealth, melee and interrupts like a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

M.Ciaster posted:

It's still being worked on, dude. poo poo, they only added stealth, melee and interrupts like a month ago.

They also announced that the next update would be the final version, and seeing how early and janky the last build was...