Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Annnnnnd apparently Flashback's officially out of development.

Anyone who's got it up for taking it for a whirl and letting the thread know whether they fixed all/most/at least some of the worrisome stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Haven't really been following the development of Flashback despite backing it for 25 bucks, so I didn't realise the release date was coming. Only found out when I saw it on Steam just some moments ago. And after some research:

bengy81 posted:

Full Control sent out Steam keys to the $25 kickstarter tier this morning.
...also found out that I never got one. Searched my inbox and the trash folders in case I'd mistakenly deleted it, nope. Not there.
Sent an inquiry to their support, let's hope there hasn't been any sort of irredeemable fuckup.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 21, 2014

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nordick posted:

Haven't really been following the development of Flashback despite backing it for 25 bucks, so I didn't realise the release date was coming. Only found out when I saw it on Steam just some moments ago. And after some research:

...also found out that I never got one. Searched my inbox and the trash folders in case I'd mistakenly deleted it, nope. Not there.
Sent an inquiry to their support, let's hope there hasn't been any sort of irredeemable fuckup.

It's funny, this is the only kickstarter that I have received the keys for with no issue, having said that, anytime this happened to me in the past, I just had to email the developer and they straightened it out. Also, they are supposed to be adding the humble keys today, so if you redeemed the JA complete pack to humble you might be able to grab your drm free key there later today or tomorrow, I would guess that it will take a day or two for your steam key to get sorted out.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
ive been playing it a bit like an hour and its better and much less buggy, im having fun atleast

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

bengy81 posted:

I would guess that it will take a day or two for your steam key to get sorted out.
Actually, it took less than an hour. :v:
I wrote this maybe kinda-sorta wordy (but very polite) email and just now they just replied with basically "Hi, here's your key: [key]."

Game's installed now, gonna try it out a bit before going to sleep.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

From BP's frontpage:

quote:

Furthermore, FC boss, Thomas Lund, officially pledged his company support for A FREE DLC that will include: attachments, different ammo types, more soviet weapons, proper shotguns, better shops, KS skin packs + special merc. Let's hope all goes as planned.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Lima posted:

From BP's frontpage:

Yeah, he put that out in the launch email that went out to backers, and he made it sound like it might happen soonish? It's hard to say when it will come out without them giving a firm date, but it sounded like, again from the email, that it's a fairly big priority.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah it's pretty much a "poo poo that was supposed to be in the release version but got delayed" kinda affair I believe.

Anyways, first impressions on the game: Seems pretty solid, albeit somewhat bare-bones. Certainly isn't easy either, mercs can't take a whole lot of hits.
Really dig the sorta painted/cartoony textures. Some lighting/shadow effects butchered my framerate though, hope they get optimised.
As a pretty gross oversight, mercs seem to only have like one line for any single thing, so they sound repetitive as hell. That may get a bit grating in the long run.
All in all, not bad so far.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
so i have found a pretty bad item duplication bug where if you drag a knife over to the drop slot your merc just gets a new one for free

edit: after trying it a few times it straightened everything out so thats nice

tatopom
Apr 9, 2009
I too want to hear what people think of JA Flashback. I didn't back the kickstarter coz i feel burned by how the devs handled their other game Space Hulk.

It was buggy at release, and promised mod tools and level editor from the start. Its been more than a year and their updates always say w'working towards level editor'. I assume thats a bunch of poo poo coz if they released a level editor no one would buy their dlc / conflict with some Games Workshop lovely IP policy.

Worse thing is, their JA kickstarter launched when they still had a big list of fixes to be done after the SPace hulk launch.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
The maps are really well done in this game much better than ja2. Its a bit buggy still but not found anything gamebreaking. It could become a real gem with more dev time, the maps and the atmosphere is really good. I think they did well with the amount of money they got but they could have made a much better game with more money for smoothing out the bumps and rough edges. I hope they can get more money

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the health bars are hosed up, mercs dont get more ap when their stats increase enough for them to gain more, lots of inventory fun!!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Slaapaav posted:

The maps are really well done in this game much better than ja2. Its a bit buggy still but not found anything gamebreaking. It could become a real gem with more dev time, the maps and the atmosphere is really good. I think they did well with the amount of money they got but they could have made a much better game with more money for smoothing out the bumps and rough edges. I hope they can get more money

Just got a copy for myself, you guys convinced me. I would have donated for the kickstarter anyway, if I had heard about it.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
new update went out right now or something. Wonder if its a fix for the spotting that is totally broken, the ai goes into combat mode red when YOU spot them THEM. It kinda breaks the game

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Sliverleech [developer] 1 hour ago
@FalconerHG - we have found that the Steam updater doesnt recognize some of the file changes that were made during the last crunch.

If you have had earlier versions installed, then there might be some leftover files that we've found to cause issues.

Please try to delete the local content (it will keep your save game safe) and reinstall. That cleans out any issues with early access files.

If that DOESNT help, poke us hard on support mail again.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
So I finished my game yesterday. Since most people, myself included, rarely make it to Meduna before losing interest, I figured I'd post some screenshots here.

I'd picked up enough mercenaries to end up with three squads. My A and B teams stormed the northern road to Meduna at night, then A team continued to the airport. Lester and Malvo were temporarily using rocket rifles they'd picked up at Orta. Lester killed a tank by firing about a dozen HEAP minirockets at it. He blew the rest of them on this tank but Wrench had to finish it off with a scavenged LAW. Rocket rifles really aren't much good compared to the higher-end conventional firearms like the M14 EBRs that most of A Team was rocking.

B Team moved in once the airport was clear, except for Hamous who drove the ice cream truck to go pick up C Team. I put in an order for some more rockets and mortar shells which would be delivered directly to this airport. We just had to defend the sector until the supplies arrived. A squad of blackshirts came in from the south and caught Devin unprepared, killing him. I resolved to cause as many explosions as possible in his memory with the ordnance he died to protect.

All of the mercs moved south into a sector containing a massive hedge maze. They chose not to enter the maze. Numbers, using Devin's metal detector, found and marked landmines along the beach so that everybody had a safe path to the palace.

Luckily for us, the queen's men never bothered to patrol outside the palace walls.

Mr. Numbers kicked things off by blowing a wall open with some HMX. I had four snipers and a couple machinegunners including Numbers to cover this unofficial backdoor into the palace.

Mr. Wrench and Iggy started spamming mortars at this area. Once the walls were damaged, they put in some mustard gas mortars as well.

Some blackshirts got rather close to the outer wall. Time to send in my secret weapon: Joey Graham.

Malvo chuckled as he hit a button on a remote control to set off the C4 that Joey unknowingly carried in his backpack.

The mortar guys used up all their shells just ruining the hell out of this area.

I gave Slay a 12.7mm antimateriel rifle. He put it to good use.

This was a good time to send in the robot to draw fire from the few defenders left inside. It spammed some mostly ineffective 5.56mm machinegun fire and got slowly plinked to death over a few turns. At least it gave me some idea where the other enemies were.

Several mercs began scouting the interior of the palace. Hamous found Elliot and put him out of his misery, succeeding where the queen had failed.

There was a bomb shelter underneath the palace. We found this guy who was a lot less loyal than Elliot. Molly bribed him to stay out of the fight, then killed him a couple turns later to get her $20k back.

The blackshirts tried to storm the entrance but they never stood a chance.

Eventually, Lester found the plush bedroom where the Queen was holed up. She was silent but unafraid.

Lester grinned and prepared to finish her off, but TEAM SHANK stole his kill. If the war had continued after this point, Lester would have asked Malvo to give Shank the Joey treatment.

Most of the mercs were happy that the war was over. Not John, whose newfound bloodlust would never be fully satisfied.

I like the new "battle report" website in 1.13. It collects campaign-wide stats as well as stats for individual battles.

Time to go grab the latest unstable 1.13 and continue my spergings, I guess!

CaptainWinky fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 23, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Wow, I had almost forgotten all those places.

Ive finished the game a couple of times (the first 2 times Ive played), but never later. Ive never finished once with 1.13;

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How much did you hate the enemy mortars? Those really took me by surprise. Lost loving Miguel of all people due to those fuckers.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Mans posted:

How much did you hate the enemy mortars? Those really took me by surprise. Lost loving Miguel of all people due to those fuckers.

I only got mortared 3 or 4 times but each time warranted a quickload. One of those times was actually a radioed-in artillery strike. The enemy drops a red smoke round on the area to be shelled and 6-8 shells land there the next turn. Pretty hard to get away from that especially when you're prone on a rooftop.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Got to the final sector only once, only reloading for crashes and that playthrough was so much fun compared to when you reload after bad combats or getting instagibbed from full hp by mike or something. I only lost 4 or 5 mercs having grizzly and bull through the entire game. Grizzly had like 20 melee kills, was level 7 or something and had gone down to 5 hp or less like 10 times without dying. This was on vanilla btw. All the melee kills and sneaking had gained him 5+ on his DEX and AGI stats so he was just a highly conditioned killing machine at that point that could take people down with finesse or trade shots back and forth. Not savescumming and actually getting that far with that kind of playstyle just made that playthrough for me.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anyone know how often JA2 goes on sale on Steam? I'm thinking of getting back into it, but I'm hoping to wait for the sub-$5 sale prices. The last time I played it was back in the disc days, and I can't find my disc.

Discs! :argh:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It's less than half the price at gog.com right now.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
True, but $9 is still a little pricy for a game this old. It's cool though, I can wait.

Does Steam have a halloween sale, or is christmas their next biggie?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

True, but $9 is still a little pricy for a game this old. It's cool though, I can wait.

The holiday sale will be Steams next big sale. GOG will also have something similar. I'd also get the game from GOG because it's DRM-free, no-meddling set up will be much friendlier to mods and stuff. It's also easy to have multiple installs if you want to try out mutually exclusive mods.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Their next big sale will actually be the fall/thanksgiving/black friday sale. They'll probably have a halloween promotion but that's not JA2's show.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Anybody have any feedback on the new 1.13 stable release for those of us who haven't played it since like 4870? I'm about to start a new game and would like to know if there are any features to look out for (or disable in ini)

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

sean10mm posted:

Anybody have any feedback on the new 1.13 stable release for those of us who haven't played it since like 4870? I'm about to start a new game and would like to know if there are any features to look out for (or disable in ini)

Disable the Drassen counterattack as usual unless you actually like it. Also you may want to look out for the new gun damage and dirt options. I disabled those because I think keeping gear repaired is enough of a chore without any additional factors. Another big change is the food system but you can enable/disable that in the options when you start a new game.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

CaptainWinky posted:

Disable the Drassen counterattack as usual unless you actually like it. Also you may want to look out for the new gun damage and dirt options. I disabled those because I think keeping gear repaired is enough of a chore without any additional factors. Another big change is the food system but you can enable/disable that in the options when you start a new game.

Also disable the general massive counterattack option that causes Drassen-level BS in every city.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

SavageMessiah posted:

Also disable the general massive counterattack option that causes Drassen-level BS in every city.
Yeah, this. I'm a fan of the Drassen Counter, but having it happen in every single city is really too much. Also, I don't know which part of the ini has it from the top of my head, but disable that poo poo about how only mercs with the engiee skill can repair things to 100%. I tried playing with it, and it was super tedious.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

if you cant afford 9 bucks for this game then i would not hold it against you if you went out and pirated a game that was released in *checks notes* 1999

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

SavageMessiah posted:

also play without the 1.13 mod because the game is better that way. in 1.13 have they fixed the bug where mercs always give their negative response if you try to talk to them that is present in the base game?

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Slaapaav posted:

also play without the 1.13 mod because the game is better that way.

Wait, what? No, that's terrible advice.

Play with 1.13.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can see where the "don't use 1.13" sentiment is coming from, but the issue is more with the default settings that 1.13 comes with rather than 1.13 itself. Someone should put together a "newbie friendly" config that people can just drop in over the default one. The trouble is that there are SO MANY things you can change, and someone who hasn't played the game isn't going to have any idea what most of them mean.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
There are some really good improvements like better ai, bug fixes(many of the versions of 1.13 i have played had more game crashing bugs than the base game though), some of the almost cosmetic changes like extra hotkeys for stuff. The added items and changes to game balance and the engine are dealbreakers for me though

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah, this. I'm a fan of the Drassen Counter, but having it happen in every single city is really too much. Also, I don't know which part of the ini has it from the top of my head, but disable that poo poo about how only mercs with the engiee skill can repair things to 100%. I tried playing with it, and it was super tedious.

The setting where even engineers can't repair poo poo to 100% is even worse. Sometimes I wonder if the defaults in 1.13 are deliberately designed to gently caress new players.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I may very will go and make a more newbie friendly ini setup. Any suggestions other than the counter attack?

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

SavageMessiah posted:

The setting where even engineers can't repair poo poo to 100% is even worse. Sometimes I wonder if the defaults in 1.13 are deliberately designed to gently caress new players.

:psyduck:

I was wondering with the latest 1.13 version why the hell my knives were stuck at less then 90% the entire time and this is the cause?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

SpookyLizard posted:

I may very will go and make a more newbie friendly ini setup. Any suggestions other than the counter attack?

can you make one with 25 ap and the inventory system and items from the base game, old cth. basically the base game with better ai and extra hotkeys? Old skill system as well, igor and danny without night ops and len being able to improve his stats

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

SavageMessiah posted:

Sometimes I wonder if the defaults in 1.13 are deliberately designed to gently caress new players.

Well, when you got people that know the game inside out and find it too easy start making mods it's obvious that it ends with mods that are designed to gently caress with new players.

I'm glad that they made 1.13. But they really need to take it easy with making all the bullshit options default to on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

LEGO Genetics posted:

:psyduck:

I was wondering with the latest 1.13 version why the hell my knives were stuck at less then 90% the entire time and this is the cause?
Yeah. Someone thought players should use the two repair npcs that the game has. You probably have forgotten that they exist, and rightly so, but I guess some people like the game being as tedious as possible. Like, I can understand the thought that dropped gear shouldn't be as good as stuff bought or found in stashes, but that way isn't my way to implement it. Granted, my way would involve a ton of copy and paste work for some pooor guy, but the current system is tedious and I don't like it one bit.

SpookyLizard posted:

I don't have access to my main hard drive atm, but from the top of my head I'd say the repair thingy and food/drink should be disabled for noobs.

Slaapaav posted:

Old skill system as well, igor and danny without night ops and len being able to improve his stats
:eyepop:

Night ops Igor for life

The very first change I made to the current release was to give him that skill back. gently caress that hunter garbage

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 28, 2014