Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
One of those annoyingly cut off posts is the installation FAQ for UC 1.13 :saddowns:
What order should I install them in? I have all the files I need: Urban Chaos original, UC 1.13 update, and the compatible unstable 1.13 version, I just don't know how to mash them all together because the post stops halfway through.

Edit: I think I've mashed them together in the right order (1.13, then addded in UC data folder, then added the UC1.13 update). It's booting up, at least!

children overboard fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Flashback is on sale right now for 7.50, worth picking up?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
yes it got a lot better with patches and theres probably been a few after last time i played it through. it was early access tier at release though

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Sup, I just did a fresh install with JA 2 Gold and applied 1.13+the update. It works in windowed mode but in fullscreen I cannot see my cursor which makes it unplayable. Has anyone run into this problem?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Do people still play this?

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

All the fuckin time, I think people just have no idea how to solve your problem :v: shot in the dark here: you got multiple monitors? Sounds like something's stealing your mouse focus

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

M.Ciaster posted:

All the fuckin time, I think people just have no idea how to solve your problem :v: shot in the dark here: you got multiple monitors? Sounds like something's stealing your mouse focus

I do have multiple monitors but honestly I just put the poo poo on windowed mode and stopped giving a gently caress. When did they change the train militia thing to only pop out 2 at a time? I'm trying to fortify Drassen so I can move on and do some other poo poo but find myself having to use my Mercs as the QRF to head off attacks at the pass or to defend sectors that are likely to be attacked. That said, the militia actually seem to be pretty effective ingame.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

simsense cumshots posted:

Do people still play this?
Yes we do, but your problem is fairly specific and most likely related to your OS. JA tends to be a bit finicky with Win7 or up. I'd suggest to take this question into the Bear's Pit, as you're much more likely to get an answer there.

When did they change the train militia thing to only pop out 2 at a time?
Iirc, there may be an ini setting that links the number of milita trained per session to the leadership value of the merc used. In any case, I strongly advise to read the 1.13 Ini file and to change the settings to your liking.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

I do have multiple monitors but honestly I just put the poo poo on windowed mode and stopped giving a gently caress. When did they change the train militia thing to only pop out 2 at a time? I'm trying to fortify Drassen so I can move on and do some other poo poo but find myself having to use my Mercs as the QRF to head off attacks at the pass or to defend sectors that are likely to be attacked. That said, the militia actually seem to be pretty effective ingame.

Yeah that's probably the monitor thing then.

As for militia: it's a safe bet you've got this option turned on in the .ini file:

Either turn it off, or make sure you're using a merc with high (at least 60) Leadership for training to get the max.

And yeah, the .ini file is really, really worth poking around. 1.13 is stunningly configurable.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Got it, yeah that wasn't a thing last time I was playing. They must have just added it recently. Tweaked it, also apparently you can train ELITE militia? gently caress it why not turning that on. Are there any other options I should tweak that could make this playthrough more interesting? I usually apply the scope modifiers from the OP cause it makes sense to. Anything else along the lines of that and suppression? Also whats the deal with taking prisoners? Apparently thats a thing now?

quote:

sean10mm posted:
If you want to reduce the scope minimum range penalties to something more realistic, open C:\Program Files (x86)\Jagged Alliance 2 Gold\Data-1.13\CTHConstants.ini in a text editor and make the following changes:

SCOPE_RANGE_MULTIPLIER = 0.5
AIM_TOO_CLOSE_SCOPE = -2.0

This reduces the minimum effective ranges for scopes to a more manageable 350/245/140/70m for 10X/7X/4X/2X scopes.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 20, 2015

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Flashback team (lol) sent out an email to kickstarter backers saying that the group has disbanded and there is now only one guy supporting the operation. They are going to release a light bug fix patch, and that will be the final version from the team. Modding tools and stuff are still planned, but they won't be distributed until after physical goods are sent out.

I don't know how playable JAF is right now, so I'm not sure if this is terrible news or not. It's not surprising at least.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I simply don't understand how hard it is to look at JA2 and give it a decent 3D engine but it's funny how many people have utterly failed to do so.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

bengy81 posted:

Flashback team (lol) sent out an email to kickstarter backers saying that the group has disbanded and there is now only one guy supporting the operation. They are going to release a light bug fix patch, and that will be the final version from the team. Modding tools and stuff are still planned, but they won't be distributed until after physical goods are sent out.

I don't know how playable JAF is right now, so I'm not sure if this is terrible news or not. It's not surprising at least.

Post the email text, will ya?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Quick status update March 2015
Posted by Full Control

Dear backers,
First up sorry for the long "no news" situation. There hasn't been anything to report, so that's why.
Mixed bag of news today, so here we go! Not everyone will like this, but so be it.

Physical Goods
Most of you are awaiting this, and there is no big change here. We have some of the things produced as you can see on the attached photo (there is more than this, I just didnt want to move boxes around). Primarily lots of t-shirts, posters, dog tags. There is still lots of stuff being produced and still todo.
So no real news here. We need to have everything ready, produced, shipped to us and then package it all. Doing it in pieces is way too cumbersome and expensive. We might be able to get the DVDs out to DVD only backers (especially in the US), but lets see.
No real ETA here, and I'll let you know about it when we are ready to package the goods and ship out. But its not around the corner. Will still take weeks.

Team Disbanded / Slow Communication
Big part of the slow communication and lack of progress is, that the JAF team is no more. Everyone is gone and there is me left to handle it all. Both taking over tasks from the guys who left as well as running the rest of the company.
And people have not just been moved over to other projects as some people say. They are gone gone, not to return. Very sad, but that's just the financial reality of JAF.
I try to answer all emails sent directly to me, but I simply cannot find time in the day to read+answer posts on the forums. Sorry - but that's just how it is.

Future Development on JAF
Without a team, there is also no further development on the game.
We would have liked nothing more than to continue on for ages, but no salaries lead to no people lead to no development.
We will work on a quick bug fix release in the upcoming weeks in between other work, and then that is the final version from our hands no matter what.
That bugfix will take care of (right now at least) 2 known issues that we want to fix
  • female mercs in prone after loading
  • a crash bug in the pathfinder
In my spare time sometime in the future I will send over as much of the requested modding stuff to Shanga. But my priority lies with physical goods first.
From the start of this project we wanted to get the modding part of the community running with as many possibilities as possible. And that is still everyone's goal to see the awesome stuff that can be done in the future by the talent out there.

Best
Thomas Lund
Sole survivor of the JAF team, signing off

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Oh wow, that's something :stare:

Like, I honestly stopped paying attention to JAF after a while, because no news came out and it seemed like the released version was all that is to be expected. What I saw in streams and such looked okay, but not nearly good enough for me to grab it at full price. I honestly thought FC would finish with a decent game that would then be "fixed" by the community to get what we wanted. But hey, now it seems like the community is the only shot to get something good out of this down the line.

Fuckin JA curse, how does this keep happening?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
its in a really playable stats and the patches did work out everything basically but the game just is very poorly optimized from a performance standpoint its very annoying.

the ui is the biggest load of poo poo. its just vomit inducing. i would kill for some crisp ui that let me click on things without wanting to kill myself.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Slaapaav posted:

its in a really playable stats and the patches did work out everything basically but the game just is very poorly optimized from a performance standpoint its very annoying.

the ui is the biggest load of poo poo. its just vomit inducing. i would kill for some crisp ui that let me click on things without wanting to kill myself.

UNITY!!!!

[/chappelle]

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Wasn't there something with shotguns either not existing at release or not working properly? Did they ever get that fixed?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
shotguns are cool they make really nice blood splatters

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Started playing this again for the first time in years. Went through Drassen with the usual fuckups, got myself a second paid Mercenary and went straight for Alma. I completely forgot Alma is the Military town and struggled through it, but now I have a ton of neat guns to shoot soldiers who can barely hold their Glocks :v:

The General won't talk to me though, I just get the infinite stopwatch, but looking it up he just shoots you when you do anyway. I sent Deidranna some flowers to help her get over the loss of like 40 blackshirts to a bumbling idiot, his two paid assholes, and a mule who patches them up.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Bondematt posted:

....a mule who patches them up.

You got my eaaaaah!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Does anyone know how to change the desktop background on the in-game laptop? I dug up all the install files for 1.13+AIMNAS+Wildfire (still my favorite way to play the game after all this time), and it's great and wonderful as always, except that the desktop background that appears every time you open the Laptop screen is an explicit picture of a naked lady, and I'd really like it to be the default grey background from the vanilla game again.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Mister Bates posted:

Does anyone know how to change the desktop background on the in-game laptop? I dug up all the install files for 1.13+AIMNAS+Wildfire (still my favorite way to play the game after all this time), and it's great and wonderful as always, except that the desktop background that appears every time you open the Laptop screen is an explicit picture of a naked lady, and I'd really like it to be the default grey background from the vanilla game again.

I *think* you need to modify the .slf resource files, I don't think you can just use an exploded archive of them. Get a tool that can open SLF files (ie Dragon Unpacker), and open up Data/Laptop.slf

I just tested it, you can just drop DESKTOP.PCX into the /Data/Laptop/ folder, and the game should pick it up.

I've hosted the default one here.

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 19, 2015

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Foehammer posted:

I *think* you need to modify the .slf resource files, I don't think you can just use an exploded archive of them. Get a tool that can open SLF files (ie Dragon Unpacker), and open up Data/Laptop.slf

I just tested it, you can just drop DESKTOP.PCX into the /Data/Laptop/ folder, and the game should pick it up.

I've hosted the default one here.

Or just nuke the file from the relevant AIMNAS data folder and the game'll default to the, uh, default.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

M.Ciaster posted:

Or just nuke the file from the relevant AIMNAS data folder and the game'll default to the, uh, default.

Oh hey I guess that works too. That'll teach me to post past my bedtime.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Thanks, that took care of it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Hey folks. Does anyone itt know how you get JA to run smooth on new computers? I recently upgraded to a 64bit system and a new intel cpu with eight cores, and now my Ja games run awully slow and choppy. I guess it's the old problem that classic games have with multicore cpu's, but how can I fix that?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think in windows XP you were able to set the CPU affinity for an executable from the properties menu, maybe check that out if you think it's a multi core issue?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Already tried that and the old Ja builds can't be tabbed back into again once I'm out. Maybe the new 1.13 based ones can be saved with that. Ugh, why couldn't people in the past make games future proof :ironicat:

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Tin Tim posted:

Already tried that and the old Ja builds can't be tabbed back into again once I'm out. Maybe the new 1.13 based ones can be saved with that. Ugh, why couldn't people in the past make games future proof :ironicat:

Why not use the latest stable v1.13 build? Update it and try running it in windowed mode.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Hey folks. Does anyone itt know how you get JA to run smooth on new computers? I recently upgraded to a 64bit system and a new intel cpu with eight cores, and now my Ja games run awully slow and choppy. I guess it's the old problem that classic games have with multicore cpu's, but how can I fix that?

I had this, I had to get some dll's from wine to make it run well. http://steamcommunity.com/app/12370/discussions/0/864978109455850892/?insideModal=1 might help? Once I did that I had no issues even with 8 cores.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

apseudonym posted:

I had this, I had to get some dll's from wine to make it run well. http://steamcommunity.com/app/12370/discussions/0/864978109455850892/?insideModal=1 might help? Once I did that I had no issues even with 8 cores.
Nice, I'll check that out

TerryLennox posted:

Why not use the latest stable v1.13 build? Update it and try running it in windowed mode.
Because cool people play mods that are based on the virgin 1.13 builds or even the 1.12 vanilla version :colbert:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I hope you can find adequate answers in that steam thread and what not, I've never really had any issues with JA on a modern computer, but I run 1.13 usually, and that's prevented any real issues as far as I know. The only thing that ever stadns out is how the color mode can not like it running, but even then, that's an easy fix, and a non issue as launching via the ini editor will do it.

Then again, I've never played it fullscreen and only windowed. So there's that.

Sapo
Dec 1, 2010

I'm having trouble with a bug that causes the game to get stuck on the enemy turn (stopwatch cursor, otherwise responsive but never times out), forcing me to close the game. This always seems to occur after a grenade or molotov goes off, sometimes during an enemy interrupt and sometimes during their turn proper. I remember having this problem a couple years ago and managing to fix it, but I can't seem to figure it out this time. I've tried several 1.13 packages with AFS+Wildfire maps, as well as UC. Any ideas?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have you tried reducing the alloted time to AI moves? Reduce it to 60 seconds so that if it hangs it'll hang for a minute at most.

Have you tried bears pit?

Sapo
Dec 1, 2010

I set the troubleshooting timer to 15 seconds but the move never times out. I posted here before bear's pit because this thread moves faster and I'm sure I've had this same problem in the past. I would just assume that I'd messed up the install if the relatively straightforward UC didn't present the same issue. Just going to try out AIMNAS for now.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I have the same (or similar) problem in AIMNAS, so, yeah.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

That's a sorta old bug, and iirc it has never been fully squashed because it's tricky to find the root. Like, the problem usually is that some sequence of events creates a pitfall for the AI logic, or that some animation somehow clogs up the flow. It was also fun when we had the months where the game would always crash when an enemy soldier bled out on the ground.

Anyway, there is no sure fix for this. I usually end up trying to perform different sequences of actions before the game hangs if possible with save games, or revert to an earlier save alltogether.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Yeah I had that basic bug once but any fall-off-a-roof animation would start the super long AI turn thing. Like he has to think really hard now that he's dead and fell off a roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapo
Dec 1, 2010

The latest .exe included the change "Fix: endless clock as vehicle tries to cower," so I grabbed it along with the newest directory. So far I've taken Drassen and haven't had any problems.

A few people over the last dozen pages (the last year) have asked how to get AFS with wildfire maps. I threw together an archive of 1.13 (7875 on 2245) and AFS configured to use wildfire 6.07 for easy installation and uploaded it. Extract to the root of a fresh installation and launch AFS or any of its sub-mods. The adjusted NCTH system works really well with the more restricted wildfire maps. Some found items will show up as NAdA (removed guns?) but the majority of placed items are fine.