Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I think hovering a mouse over the portrait displays traits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Doctor Bombadil posted:

I think hovering a mouse over the portrait displays traits.

In the aim or merc screen it dosent tell you as far as i can tell.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you need to tweak the INI editor to see traits while hovering with the mouse for somereason.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Son Ryo posted:

So, I don't know if there's a more appropriate place to ask, but can anyone recommend me more games like Jagged Alliance? 7.62 is great, but real time w/pause has never really scratched my itch the same way turn-based strategy does. I do have all the turn-based semi-sequels and spinoffs (mainly Flashback and Online, which turned out to be a fairly alright game now that they've stripped all the F2P stuff out of it) and I've been playing through Silent Storm, but I'm not really into WW2-era firearms so Silent Storm just doesn't speak to me the way games that are set in the 60s or later do. I also own Silent Storm Sentinels, but I don't know anything about it-- is it just more of the same like Silent Storm? I have heard of Hammer & Sickle and I do intend to check that out at some point.

Hard West (http://store.steampowered.com/app/307670/) is just out, turn-based squad level strategy in the old west.

Dont know how good it is yet (downloading now), but looks promising.

EDIT: not the right place, I know, but just an update: Hard West combat is more like the modern XCOM than JA2, but spiced with some very creative and unique mechanics. Like you got a luck bar that helps shots at you miss, and depletes when it actually miss and fills when you get hit, and is also used for special moves and abilities. Also some nice touches like being able to detect enemies (and even try a shot at then) by their shadows.

Is fast paced, cool and fun, although not even close to JA2 in depth and complexity.

Above the combat, there is this simple almost text based RPG that seemed a little bare, but I haven't got too far because it crashed twice after a mission, before saving, so I remembered why I avoid playing games that were just released. But I look forward to return to it after a few patches.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 22, 2015

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
holy crap if you use the talk command on basically doomed enemies you can demand their surrender.

much more ethical than the standard "stab the poo poo out of them before they get back up" or "let them bleeding to death while we kill his friends" procedure :v:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

holy crap if you use the talk command on basically doomed enemies you can demand their surrender.

much more ethical than the standard "stab the poo poo out of them before they get back up" or "let them bleeding to death while we kill his friends" procedure :v:

Do you have them surrender one by one or does it make their squad all surrender

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for the whole squad to surrender (by whole squad i mean the two, possibly three bleeding passed out soldiers) you can outright ask them via the talk command, if you get a message saying he's "busy" that means someone out there is still up for a fight.

you can also buy handcuffs which are super small and light and detain soldiers that way. they also magically save dying soldiers.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Im racing through my work today so i can get an hour or two of JA2 in :awesomelon:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
apparently there's this dude living in the desert who sells jars of stuff that blinds crepitus to your presence.

i had no idea he existed :wtc:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just got to the crepitus bit. Whats the best ammo for em. Glaser?

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
If I remember correctly, it depends. I vaguely remember a large number having armor that made HP bullets not very effective (adults?). Some didn't though, but they didn't have much health anyways. I'd say take AET where you can (I used P90s a lot), stick with normal AP rounds if you are using rifles.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
MGs with AP were a but disappointing but it was long range and maybe i just got bad luck. Only played a few turns of a creature invasion before i retired for the evening.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The best way to deal with Crepitus is to hire Bull and Grizzly and go full retard punching out giant monsters because all the chitin armor in the world won't protect their stamina bar.

I guess AP if you're boring.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Wizard Styles posted:

The best way to deal with Crepitus is to hire Bull and Grizzly and go full retard punching out giant monsters because all the chitin armor in the world won't protect their stamina bar.

I guess AP if you're boring.

Is this viable for a pretty crappy player? If its doable im gonna try it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Their armor really doesn't protect them from stamina damage, so it can be done.
Running up to them to punch them is risky, though, but it's good against isolated targets when you can be relatively sure that cave walls or whatever block LOS enough to avoid getting shot with acid.

I also do it when I end up facing down too many bugs to kill in one turn, which sometimes happens at the start of a cave sector. One merc with the right skills can knock a Crepitus out in a turn but would probably not be able to kill it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I remember shotguns and SMG were quite effective, mostly because you fighting the bugs at close range. And taking a lot of guys, all you can. Because they are many and you want to kill then on sight before they have a chance to strike you.

That in vanilla. Come to think of it, I never got to that part of the game in 1.13.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 4, 2015

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Glaser, AET, or just bring shotguns are all good choices against the crepitus. They're bugs with exoskeletons and open circulatory systems; punching holes in them with AP rounds is not a quick path to a dead bug, but JHPs have a hard time getting through the exoskeleton. Don't be afraid to grenade em either. Those tunnels are also one of the most useful places to deploy a few landmines/demo charges to help fight the bugs.

If money's a concern, shotguns are by far the most economical of the reliable methods of fighting the bugs, just beware you'll wanna bring something stouter for their queen. I'm a fan of just mustard gassing the bitch and taking cover while she chokes out. Sometimes takes more than one but I got plenty of mustard gas post-Alma.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

If you're just looking to do stamina damage then shotguns are king.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arrath posted:

If you're just looking to do stamina damage then shotguns are king.

grab cheap high marksmanship mercs to destroy their stamina with sick nasty buckshot and then give machetes to Razor and Haywire.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hey, folks! Long time no see :tipshat:

So I wanted to get back to some mercin' but I got some problems with the game on Win 8.1 on my current PC. I can run it, but the framerate is awful and the game chugs like mad. I'm pretty sure it's because I have a multicore CPU, since several old games show the same problem with good CPUs. The net told me that I would need to grab 3 .dll files from Wined3d and throw them into my root folder, but then the game doesn't run at all. Tried some compatibility settings but it didn't help so far.

Anyone know something about this or do I need to manually turn off CPU cores for this application everytime I want to play?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tin Tim posted:

So I wanted to get back to some mercin' but I got some problems with the game on Win 8.1 on my current PC. I can run it, but the framerate is awful and the game chugs like mad. I'm pretty sure it's because I have a multicore CPU, since several old games show the same problem with good CPUs. The net told me that I would need to grab 3 .dll files from Wined3d and throw them into my root folder, but then the game doesn't run at all. Tried some compatibility settings but it didn't help so far.

Anyone know something about this or do I need to manually turn off CPU cores for this application everytime I want to play?

I've ran the game with all sorts of CPUs and never had any issues. Sorry if it's not very helpful, but it's not a universal thing at all. Try to play with the compatibility settings some more? I did play this game on a 2010 Atom tablet, so yeah it probably isn't for a lack of resources. Maybe try running in the windowed mode too.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Tin Tim posted:

It's most likely not a multicore problem, I've run it on dual and quad core machines without no issues.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

I've had framerate issues, and running the game in windowed mode fixed it for me.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Same here. Playing fullscreen anything larger than 640x480 would drag framerate down to unplayable, but in windowed mode it works perfectly smooth on any resolution.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I cannot get this game working for the life of me. Steam release, 64 bit Win 8.

I've tried the following fixes:

1. Cracking open wine3d to snag dll files
2. deleting the intro file
3. Reinstalling to C:\
4. Grabbing the DLL files from unfinished business

I haven't yet attempted to get 1.13 working, but so far nothing I've tried is sticking and I've run out of fixes.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Try setting it to Windows XP compatibility mode and 16 bit colors.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Wizard Styles posted:

Try setting it to Windows XP compatibility mode and 16 bit colors.

now there's a missing fmod.dll

edit: Went back to vanilla after both the SVN and installer methods of 1.13 were dead ends, compatibility mode is on, and it's "Application Error 5:0000065434"

edit again: working now, had to be launched directly from Steam

TheSwizzler fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 30, 2015

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

SpookyLizard posted:

They also want you to not use Drop All and knock out/injure enemies to loot their bodies before they die and 90% of their gear self destructs. I'm not fond of that.

the last time i played i just let all the enemy gear drop on death and sure, it might have been pretty ridiculous but it was hilarious, fast and loose fun that i'd probably do again for my next playthrough!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

NightVis posted:

now there's a missing fmod.dll

edit: Went back to vanilla after both the SVN and installer methods of 1.13 were dead ends, compatibility mode is on, and it's "Application Error 5:0000065434"
fmod.dll should come with 1.13, something might have gone completely wrong at some point.

No idea what the other error is about.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Wizard Styles posted:

fmod.dll should come with 1.13, something might have gone completely wrong at some point.

No idea what the other error is about.

fmod.dll seems to be missing from the installer, I've tried a few times, redownloaded the file and its a no-go. The SVN installer method seems not to work anymore, and the majority of the patch's website is down.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Luceid posted:

the last time i played i just let all the enemy gear drop on death and sure, it might have been pretty ridiculous but it was hilarious, fast and loose fun that i'd probably do again for my next playthrough!

I won't judge, but it's a ton of fun to set up the mug/murder blind corner, and punch people into unconsciousness, then hurry to strip them naked before they get up. You definitely feel like you earned all their loot after that.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Maybe i got my bobby ray settings too easy but i dont feel the loot is that big a bonus. Its handy not having to keep getting medpacks and 556 ammo from the airport but otherwise i dont think it makes a big difference

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Try a run where you have BR set to low quality but high quantity, with enemy drop all on. You'll really have to scavenge for good weapons, but you'll always have plenty of ammo for the crappier guns if you need to fallback to them. And blackshirts seem like even bigger loot pinatas than usual. Enjoy swarming a squad of blackshirts like a pack of hungry dogs, spraying 9mm at their expensive body armour till they fall unconscious, then tearing them apart and stealing their shinies like some kind of savage. :v:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
The guns you get from loot seem to jam immediately if you use them. Im not game for trying a harder setting yet also. Im up to some kind of counterattack ( i think tixa triggered it?) and its godamn diabolical.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Isaac posted:

The guns you get from loot seem to jam immediately if you use them. Im not game for trying a harder setting yet also. Im up to some kind of counterattack ( i think tixa triggered it?) and its godamn diabolical.

Yeah that'd be the Drassen counter-attack. It was disabled in the original game but modders turned it on and then kept turning it up to 11 cause most of them have been playing the game for 15 years. It's recommended to disable it on your first few runs through. If you're already under attack then it's too late, but you can always just cheat around the few waves of the attack with the Kill All cheat command (I don't remember it offhand, check the wiki for the cheat list)

As for the beat up guns, you'll want to have a mechanically inclined merc with a toolbox repair them in his downtime.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Nah drassen counter attack has happened already. I only got grumm and meduna to go and something has spawned an absurd amount of blackshirts all over the map and its made me take a break from playing. The battles with over 100 soldiers fighting are really hard to get through without loading the game a hundred times.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Isaac posted:

Nah drassen counter attack has happened already. I only got grumm and meduna to go and something has spawned an absurd amount of blackshirts all over the map and its made me take a break from playing. The battles with over 100 soldiers fighting are really hard to get through without loading the game a hundred times.

The newest release includes counterattacks for all cities if you don't disable them in the ini.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TerryLennox posted:

The newest release includes counterattacks for all cities if you don't disable them in the ini.

That's... brutal.

Not that I mind it in slightest.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Doctor Bombadil posted:

That's... brutal.

Not that I mind it in slightest.

Its really loving brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TerryLennox posted:

Goddamn they just keep cranking up the challenge, don't they. I've omly done the Drassen counterattack a couple of times, usually by carefully preparing with minefields, mortars and belt-fed LMGs. Otherwise it's just a goddamn zerg rush that buries you and isn't much fun at all.