Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Do the big bonuses from the Marksman or Hunter perks affect Assault Rifles? If I plan on my IMP using ARs most of the time am I better off taking Marksman or Auto Weapons?

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Can somebody tell me why my healthy Marksman->Sniper IMP with 85 in the Marksman skill can't hit poo poo with her new Mini-14 even while prone but Buns seems to be never missing at the same range crouched with that starter 10mm MP5?

Is this is coming down to some bullshit where 1.13 or NCTH or whatever classifies the enemy at medium range and purposefully makes rifles suck at that range to widen the niche for SMG?

If that's the case then I'm done with this. My IMP literally has missed every shot with the new rifle so far, when she was doing all right with Buns' CX4.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What range in squares? And what kind of scope are you using? x10 scopes have a penalty to up close shooting I think. Someone more familiar with the NCTH system will probably know more.
It was about the length of one of those square shanties everybody has in Dressen; maybe a tad over.

Is there not a way to get a range to target in meters? What's the point of choosing Metric over Imperial if not? The range listed as a weapon attribute would just be an arbitrary value.

I forgot to mention earlier that Buns had already gotten shot up taking Dressen and her AP and morale were low. She was in poor condition and was consistently outshooting a better, healthier rifleman.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

No scope at all. No attachments on anybody as it is still very early in the game.

Just checked a the range, about 14 squares.

I'll get back into it a little later and press on, but if stuff like this persists I can't play it.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

So I stuck with it. Now I need a bunch of clarifications. Some of this stuff might have been in the OP, sorry if so.

How do you repair items? If there's one gun I want fixed over anything else, how do I get that one gun fixed first? I had a merc with a repair kit, set to repair, with a 75% gun that was jamming in his inventory and in 35 hours he had not touched that gun, but the kit had been reduced.

Is there a shortcut to move all magazines out of a pocket in sector inventory? Or rather, what shortcuts of any kind exist to reduce the tedium of dragging mags around one by one. I got the crating thing down, but emptying a dozen misc mags into sector sucks.

Is there a way to unload a specific gun?

What does it mean when the ammo counters display anything other than a number? I see ???'s mixed with L's and M's sometimes.

Is there a place to buy med kits other than shipping them in?

I thought the game used a 100pt AP system. I seem to remember my mercs starting out with 100ap, maybe I'm wrong. Do the stats effect max AP? What circumstances could reduce the stats of a HEALTHY merc? I've got some dudes with like 65AP max now.

What does the weight % effect? AP? What is the threshhold or equation?

When a merc gets wounded and loses points in a stat, do those points come back upon bandaging to orange or only upon doctoring back to red? Does a doctor treatment or hospital visit cure all debuffs and restore the merc to showroom condition?

Alt-Click selling things from sector isn't a cheat? Then why in the hell would I ever schlep over to Tony's? Does he pay more?

Is there a point to the seemingly pointless division between funds and cash? If I can withdraw any amount of cash from thin air at any time then why do I need cash to buy the leather jacket and why does Tony give me cash back for sales when he pulls funds straight from my bank account when I buy from him?

That'll do for now. Thanks in advance.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Thanks for the explanations.

ALT sidestepping doesn't work for me. If I hold ALT and click on a space two tiles to the right of my merc, instead of sidestepping while facing the same direction, they walk backwards. I'm usually crouching when I attempt this.

EDIT: OK, they only strafe while standing. Crouchers can only retreat. Less than ideal.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 20, 2012

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

I've lost faith in the weapons XML. I may just be an armchair gun nerd, and not even a committed one at that, but I hate that the default 1.13 XML has the Mini Uzi be four times as accurate as the Micro Uzi; or that the full size Uzi is more accurate than a full size MP5. Why does the Bushmaster 6.8mm AR cost 4AP more to ready than the standard AR?. There's only 4 points of damage difference between a .38 Special and a .50AE; and then that .50AE damage is comparable to about half of the assault rifles.

The huge weapon list is one of the draws of this game for me, but when I examine the math that is supposed to be modeling these varied firearms there is a lot that seems unconvincing.

Now, as I said, I'm not dedicated enough to guns or games to make the XML more palatable myself, but maybe someone else has. Anybody aware of an alternate XML for 1.13 NCTH?

EDIT: The "Best of the Best" list in the OP is years out of date now, BTW.

For some background, I played Silent Storm almost exclusively with a mod that brought weapon damage more or less in line with each other based on caliber, but varied AP cost, range, and accuracy based on size. It was awesome.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 20, 2012

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Why why WHY will my dudes not fire more than one round in a real-time burst at an enemy?

Set burst, right click to change cursor to crosshair, left click and hold (but don't drag) and burst-o-meter appears complete with round counter that I can't seem to increment.

Now, if I was targeting a patch of dirt, that round counter will be about a third full and when I press LMB again the merc will burst said dirt.

But if I was targeting an enemy soldier in real-time the whole system acts completely different. The round counter is always a solitary cartridge, the merc fires on LMB up instead of waiting for the second click, and only fires once.

EDIT: Been save-scumming a section stubbornly trying to get the above horseshit to function. Alt-Tabbed back in, and it worked... occasionally. It's not consistant, is infuriating, and is probably dependant on some range LoS calculus.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 20, 2012

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

The full reticle definitely doesn't appear until I click on the enemy.

Tried some more and the bullets are added, in this case, by right clicking... assuming the the reticle doesn't disappear, assuming the merc doesn't fire when I release LMB.

Mouse wheel to increase burst in one case, RMB in another. The gently caress?

EDIT: K, I guess RMB to add a bullet has always been available in turn--based, and I did remember reading that was the case, but I've been using the wheel to increase burst and clicking the wheel to toggle between tuning aim and burst for the same shot, which I thought was an elegant solution. But The wheel will not add bullets for me in real-time so... I dunno.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 20, 2012

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

1.13 saves at the start of every round or every other round right? How do I access those saves?

They don't appear in the savegame list that I can see and I'm pretty certain that ALT-L is just loading my most recent ALT-S.

This knowledge would have saved Gumpy's life. That dude on my laptop was pretty tore up about it.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

So how does 1.13 handle scopes, reflex sights, and lasers all existing on the same weapon at the same time? Are all their bonuses cumulative or does it pick one attachment to use based upon range to target?

What does adding underarmor to vests do?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

I'm pretty sure somebody posted about mercs being able to repair while riding in the hummer. If I set a merc that's in the hummer, but not driving, to repair, he gets out. What am I missing?

Also getting a runtime error that effectively CTDs when telling the repairing Steroid to get in the hummer from the map screen.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Doesn't your plant practice Lock Out\Tag Out? If it was your task to vulnerably position yourself then, liability wise, it would be your responsibility to de-energize the machine.

Not trying to be a dick, because I've been there, on both sides. I've got scars, but I've still got all my fingers. Praise Jaysus.

On topic, let me ask again. Repairing items while riding in a vehicle: Possible or Not?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Dear lord rain fucks up your line of sight so bad.

I took what could barely be referred as a C-Team headed by Raven to sweep Balime during a midnight rainstorm to keep pace with the rest of my blitzkrieg that was pushing the red shirts' poo poo in all along the east coast.

It was brutal; nobody came out unfazed. Even with NVG2 and supposedly being specialized in night ops Raven could only see about three tiles in front of her. Those assholes were popping out of potted plants and whittling my mercs down at an alarming rate. Took a lot of save scumming to get through that without casualties.

Favorite moment so far: Taking Tixia a second time to bust Dynamo out only to realize that nobody brought any lock picks and the key-ring was on my other IMP. Then we found a LAW behind the seat in the truck.

I didn't even know you could blow through walls!

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Print Screen isn't working for me. Is there an in-game hotkey for screen grabs?

EDIT: Scratch that. Paint.Net wasn't working for me.

She caught me

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 28, 2012

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

If the enemies were bunched close enough, would targeting one enemy with a less focused burst with more bullets added to it yield the same result?

I'm not using belt-fed weapons yet so maybe it's different.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Keith the general store owner isn't showing up for me in Cambria G9. I have a 100% loyalty and lots of militia, but he's not in his store. I just figured I could sell all my kevlar and old armor to him.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

14:15 and he's nowhere to be seen.

Is there anybody worth lugging kevlar and spectra to? Am I better off just selling it at sector?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

How long does it take for Tony's funds to regenerate when you've sold so much to him that he's broke. I figured he'd have more the next day, but it's been three and he's still broke.

'Course Shank has been camped out in his office for all that time... I'll try leaving town and coming back.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Bilal posted:

THE TANKS RESPAWN
poo poo, is this true? I've just been throwing the odd LAW that drops in the back of the ice cream truck so I thought I'd be ok.

Also, how long does it take for a merchant to regenerate his available cash?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

I know this isn't thread specific, but I've seen it mentioned many times in here.

I've just spent over a week trying to play 7.62 High Calibre with the un-official patch and Blue Sun Mod installed and despite the combat engine being extremely detailed, the overall package is a completely broken and bug-ridden and just not worth investing any time in.

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.
I'm going back to my TurboGrafx.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 22, 2013

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

7,62 is only for a special brand of people. Those who are willing to endure the pain, only for a few moments of tactical heaven and the rush of fighting overwhelming odds in some smelly jungle.

I've been playing it for years now, even bought it at full price and without knowing what I was in for. And believe me, my retail version was so drat broken. I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get it running right, and the community patch wasn't even a thing back then. But I never found another tac game which had a combat system as good and deep as this one has. With that said though, what you said is totally valid, and I haven't even seen some of the bugs you showed off. Probably because I mostly play a patched Vanilla game. As awesome as the content in Blue Sun is, it also introduces some bugs that the game didn't have before.
Oh hey, I was just reading your Marauder LP last night.

For the most part, I can't tell where Vanilla ends and Blue Sun begins, but the two core problems that have ruined 7.62 for me are awful mission design, and broken quest triggers.

I kept enduring missions where the enemy is already shooting my guys before I can get them untangled from one another where they spawned, or the enemy just abruptly pops into existence from out of nowhere in groups of a dozen (Delta Force...), right in front of my dudes.

Then, hours later after I've save scummed my way through the latest train wreck, the quest refuses to start the next segment or the guy I have to talk to for completion is nowhere to be found and I have to accept that mission as a failure just to move on and have a shot at the next mission loving up.

Maybe Blue Sun is breaking triggers in the Vanilla quests or maybe the the Blue Sun added missions are more functional but even though I'm in love with what is possible in the game engine, I just feel that I've had my time wasted far too much already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Well, what specifically is Blue Sun known to break compared to vanilla 7.62, because, in this thread, I've never seen one mentioned without the other.