Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

What is with the retarded gun nuts modding this game? 5.7mm isn't the god calibre, Flash Suppressors don't work that way and why are there 20 different AKs (I'm counting all the weird variants like the Valmet M82 here)? The gun progression is also hosed (I'd personally define things as surplus, standard and match-grade/restricted rather than just having it be all pistols at the beginning) and it seems like enemies just wear more and more armor as the game progresses?

It's a good game, but if I were going to mod it I would have taken a different tack on a lot of this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing more solidarity amongst the militia, but still keeping the vaugely irregular aspect. Like town guards might have more irregular gear, but patrols would have more organized gear that may be somewhat random but consistent amongst the squad (eg, they'd all have the same gun, but it'd be random gun).

I have some free time so I might try doing this. If I were to do it, here's how I'd tier it out.

Low Tier: These would be local thugs tasked with keeping the villagers in line and the mines running. They'd have an eclectic mix of pistols, full sized SMGs and ARs, but if possible I'd try to set their durability low so that they misfire a lot.

Mid Tier: The army. I'd try to pick a gun (either the AK or the M16) and set the spawn probability on it high and then pick a set of support weapons including a marksman's rifle, an LMG, a shotgun and a grenade launcher and put them into the mix. Ideally you'd be getting groups that were mostly the main gun or a carbine equivalent with a few other units to add some spice. They also get basic armor.

Elite Tier: This group gets the cool weapons. Ideally I'd split it into Guard and Patrols, with the first tending towards heavy armor and SMGs, Assault Rifles, Shotguns and LMGs and the Patrols using Carbines, Battle Rifles and Sniper Rifles (with a fairly heavy commitment to Carbines) and light armor.

It would also be nice to have a similar progression for NVGs and other equipment.

I'm going to look into it and see if it's actually possible to implement this.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Zereth posted:

Okay maybe I am thinking of one in... 4.7mm caseless? Something. It's faster than the Five-Seven, at least.

HK G11 PDW?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

They really should have gone with 2d portraits. It looks like they took 3d models that were designed to be looked at from a distance and just blew them up...

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

It seems like the best option for FoW would be to use LoS (which they have implemented), camo and character skill to determine whether or not you can see people.

The game just seems poorly thought out right now.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

EDIT: Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a silenced sniper rifle to use during night operations? I'm using the HK SL9SD right now, and it's perfectly silent and decently accurate within its effective range in the hands of a skilled sniper, but it has poo poo range and I'm not impressed with the damage potential.

Why do you need a silenced sniper rifle? Putting a flash suppressor on it keeps them from actually seeing you and if you're close enough that you're actually worried about them hearing you just use a smaller gun.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, plan-and-go doesn't really bother me, to be honest. It is a legitimate design decision, and it seems to be implemented at least reasonably well. There are enough very poorly implemented pieces of the game that I have a tough time focusing on plan-and-go as the main problem.

I haven't actually played it yet, but it seems like it just doesn't have enough options right now. Plan and Go should have options for ambushing (letting an enemy close in until you have a good shot), engaging immediately, firing more to suppress or firing less to kill etc. It seems like BiA uses Guard Mode for too much.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

A lot of the damage vales in BiA are completely wacky. You'll have one gun doing about half the damage of another when both use the same caliber. 1.13 handled that stuff a lot better, with guns of the same caliber having similar ranges and damage values.

I bitch about 1.13's fetish for high-velocity low-caliber pistols, but it's overall very reasonable compared to what I'm seeing here.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

TerryLennox posted:

Here is how I would've approached a JA2 Remake.

1) License Silent Storm Sentinels engine.

I'd just use CryEngine. It can do large tropical environments, lots of enemies, all that stuff and working in a turn system shouldn't be difficult.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

To an enormous degree. It allows for both component based destruction and procedural destruction of solid pieces. Here's a demo that somebody did with just the mod tools, not the actual dev kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz41t_pGQcY&feature=related

EDIT: If you haven't seen the visuals, this example from somebody importing a section of Skyrim shows it off pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgw9DlIK8DY&feature=related

NovemberMike fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 15, 2012

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Doesn't the Cryengine cost an enormous amount of money to license, that even the most popular JA2-like game in the current era could never afford it?

The new Mechwarrior game is using it, so I doubt that.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Also, I think heavy weapons is explosive stuff, like Mortars, RPGs or Grenade Launchers. Machine Guns are the Machine Gun trait.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

Out of curiosity, what kind of vest and leg rigs do most people use on their mercs? Unless I have a merc which is very specialized, like a 40mm grenader, I usually just go with a TT Utility vest and two SAW pouches. The TT Utility vest seems like a pretty usable general purpose vest, and the pouches hold all the extra ammo I could need.

You can get by with just a TT Utility vest. If you want a holster that can hold a silenced pistol go with the MP holster, if you need extra space for whatever (grenades, med kits, whatever) then get whatever specialized thing you need for that. All you really need to carry is 2 extra magazines, a pistol (doesn't really need an extra magazine, you shouldn't be shooting it that much), a med kit and a gas mask. Everything else can go in the Backpack that you dump at the beginning of the mission. This also changes for grenadiers or guys with LMGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Why the gently caress is the PDR shooting some weird round?