Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

God drat that is some low effort DLC, a gun and some really basic looking armor! Hold on to your butts!

I know equipment is a big thing in this game, but wouldn't things like new mercs or extra missions be much more interesting? (Still, launch-day DLC sucks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
I am really liking throwing weapons now, walking into the view of an enemy with not enough AP to fire your gun always sucks, but with these ninja stars and throwing knives I can usually reduce their AP a bit with a nice head or legshot. (Also the sound the throwing weapons makes are so cool)

Also I just had Grizzly dodge 2 melee strikes from the last enemy at a SAM site after he opened a door, equipped him with the Rambo knife and just completely destroyed him in a single stab. Then we have Steroid going all fanboy when Grizzly kills dudes. :allears:

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Promontory posted:

I'd recommend just turning the counter-attack off, the original developers left it out for a reason. If you want challenge, you can always turn on the NEW_AGGRESSIVE_AI later in the game when you have the equipment and money for some actual defenses.

Can you really do this in the middle of a game? I couldn't really stand the difficulty early on with the aggressive AI on, so I just settled with turning it off. Can I do the same with lost shipments with Bobby Ray's? Cuz I forgot to turn it off before I started the game and losing important shipments doesn't add to the difficulty at all, it's just really annoying and tedious.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

I named my IMP Kickass the first time I played, and use the voice where he says "That could have been bad, but I have some Kickass Karma" whenever a shot lands near him, and ever since thats all I roll for IMPs, because it sounds incredibly lame.

*Spots bloodcat*

"PUSSY! :q:"

All my male main characters have used that voice ever since I heard that, it's just the way he says it that makes me laugh every time.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

God Of Paradise posted:

I'm not getting shipments from Bobby Ray's whatsoever. I've greased Pablo's hands, but my next day shipments never seem to come. Am I missing something, or is my game hosed up?

I think there is a 10% chance for the shipments to get lost, you can turn it off in the Ja2_Options.txt file.

Bribing Pablo will only stop the theft, not the loss of shipments I believe.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Mans posted:

Shift+J to jump windows.

Holy crap you can do this?

My dual wielding gunslinger just got a lot more bad rear end! :clint:

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

JAssassin posted:

I just started playing this game a week or two ago and it always seems like my merc can only move half as far as everyone else when running. Am I just imagining this or is there some reason the IMP moves slower than AIM mercs.

I think Agility is what determines how much AP movement uses, how much does your IMP have? Also some of your AIM mercs may have specific traits that allow them to run longer, like athletics or bodybuilding. I got Ivan as my heavy weapons guy, and he runs longer and faster than any of the other mercs simply because he can carry so much more without getting weighed down. Maybe your dude is tired and hasn't rested in a while? That reduces maximum AP points I believe.

E: uh yeah or backpacks

the pole or the dole fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 20, 2012

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
Does anyone have any tips on sneaking? More specifically on how to use a melee character, should I support him with fire teams? Like pin the enemy to the ground and run up with him to stab them?

I had good success with knocking people over with throwing ninja stars at their feet, but now that they are rolling out with heavy armor nothing seems to bring them down. Maybe stun/flash grenades?

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
Just met Mike for the first time, I thought I had him in a pretty good position out in the open, during the night, with my entire team aiming at him. Boy was I wrong, he takes a direct hit in the chest from Raven with the KSVK (huge russian sniper rifle that shoots 12,7 mm shots), it does 22 damage on him! The rest of my team decides to suddenly suck rear end and just miss on every single shot, then when it's his turn he fires a bullet right into Raven's skull, killing her instantly! Then he just runs back into the shadows like a dick. :negative:

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Tippis posted:

This is what I do. Drop everything + no selling from inventory + drastically increased repair times to reduce the effect of getting “too good” guns early. You can still use them, but just like carting around stuff to sell, if you come across a well-equipped group of blackshirts, you now have to move all those shiny new guns back to home base where “team repair stuff” sits and does nothing else than work in the repair sweat-shop 24/7 to keep stuff in order. Picking up a gun from the ground and trying to use it is a good way to get yourself killed after your shiny new gun jams for 8 rounds in a row…

There really should be a way to toggle what items you want to always drop, being able to turn off guns and armor but leave all the ammo would work really well for me, going back to the airport just for ammo is really tedious, also selling/deleting 2 pages of pants and helmets gets boring real fast.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
I am having real trouble with the first SAM site on expert, should I be scavenging for assault rifles and high-powered rifles first? There is like an entire stack of elites guarding it, I do manage to lure some of them out and kill them but then the rest just stays inside the compound and slaughters me when I move into range.

Playing on the wildfire maps by the way, so it is covered in mines and spotlights.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
I am playing through the game with wildfire maps for the first time and I never realized there is a tank in Alma, I have a single LAW rocket launcher stashed up in Drassen and I am wondering if a single rocket to the backside will kill it? I can take the shortcut in the lower western part of Alma into a building right behind the Tank. I have only taken Drassen and Chitzena, so maybe Alma is too dangerous for me on this map? I can't buy any rocket launchers (or mortars) from Bobby-Rays and I don't have a single dude that knows how to reliably work explosives, should I invest in an explosives dude and do the smoke 'n rush?

the pole or the dole fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 18, 2013

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

EDIT: Called up Raven to hire her and she point-blank refused. What have I been doing wrong? (Aside from getting Ice and Fox killed.)

Some mercs will say no if you have a history of getting mercs killed, think it's worse if a popular/good merc dies. No idea how to make them accept it, maybe just wait a while?

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Lima posted:

^ All AIM mercs have a hidden Reputation Tolerance stat that determines how tolerant they are of your failures.
The least tolerant is Buns with a value of 12. Raider and Raven are pretty low too at 25.
Buzz is fairly tolerant at 101 (she'll always sign a contract).

Generally, the professional & expensive ones are around 25-50 while the more unhinged (Fidel, Nails etc) and/or cheap ones are at 50-95.

Time, succesful battles with zero deaths and (I think) quests improves your reputation, while the opposite naturally worsens it.

Interesting, do you know if friendly fire incidents against militia affects that? Because Ira kinda missed with some mustard and smoked 2 friendlies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Velius posted:

I just reinstalled JA2 1.13 (Last stable) + Arulco Revisited. I have Fox + Wolf, and after a few battles have yet to hear any banter between the two, or anyone. Is there some .ini setting I'm unfamiliar with that turns off such things, or do they just need to be in close proximity on the battlefield? I always love the banter, even if it does get repetitive, and I'm going to get a psycho squad going a bit later unless that stuff is disabled.

It only happens to me when the other person does something cool like blowing off someones head or accomplishing a task like unlocking a door, the banter seems to be rare in the early game when there are not as much high powered weaponry or locked doors to go through.