Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

Well, never mind! Commando missions are much more fun than girls anyway!

JackMackerel posted:

Anyway, is there a way to permanently disable SAM sites? I tried blowing up the consoles with TNT, but as soon as I get the mercs in the air, jackass soldiers re-take the site whenever Skyrider is flying back to the airport and blast the poo poo out of him.

If you damage or destroy the big control console with explosives, the SAM site will remain out of action unless it gets recaptured by black-shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

I played JA2 as if it were chess.

I prefer to think of it as being like hide and search, eh, but with ze guns.

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

I like how the direction for Shadow's voice actor was apparently less "stealth badass" and more :downs:

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

As far as I know, but if you blow the consoles up, SAM sites stay down unless blackshirts are in the sector.

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

Silent Storm ruled because Bren-gunning Nazis through their cover rules.

Any game with loads of house-clearing that gives you the option to flatten the bastard things with HE is okay in my book. Yeah, I know I could send a bunch of guys in there with sub-machine guns and frag grenades and tactics and poo poo, but frankly I can't be arsed and this metric fuckton of TNT isn't going to explode by itself.

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

Mr. Peepers posted:

JA2 1.13 questions:

1. Can you autofire while dualwielding? I took autoweapons and ambidextrous on my IMP and gave him dual skorpions, but it seemed like I could only autofire with one of them at a time. That certainly puts a damper on my intended character build if so.

2. I remember you could designate an arc to autofire across, but I forget how to do it. Anyone know?

1. Not sure, but I suspect not.
2. Set your aim level and burst length, then hold Alt and move the over the area you want to spray. It'll draw little red crosses to show roughly where your rounds are going to go. Bonus man points if you get a belt-fed machine-gun, set as long a burst as possible, then draw a load of tight little circles around your merc.

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

Copper Vein posted:

Can somebody tell me why my healthy Marksman->Sniper IMP with 85 in the Marksman skill can't hit poo poo with her new Mini-14 even while prone but Buns seems to be never missing at the same range crouched with that starter 10mm MP5?

Is this is coming down to some bullshit where 1.13 or NCTH or whatever classifies the enemy at medium range and purposefully makes rifles suck at that range to widen the niche for SMG?

If that's the case then I'm done with this. My IMP literally has missed every shot with the new rifle so far, when she was doing all right with Buns' CX4.

I doubt it's down to something like arbitrary nerfs, as the CX4 and the Mini-14 are both classed as rifles. Probably just the random number generator loving you over, or it might be because the game is correctly simulating the Mini-14.

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

Mans posted:

So, i looked at the XML files and there are recon, stealth ops, medic, mechanics and field op armors, basically improved version of regular twaron, guardian, kevlar vests and the like.

They look pretty good and seem awesome but for some reason they're blocked entirely from the game. You can't buy them in BR nor does the enemy use them. Anyone know if it's alright to put this on Bobby Rays or will it crash my game?

If I remember correctly they were added a few years ago before the new inventory, basically you could attach things like knives and canteens and other miscellaneous bits and pieces to them in order to free up space in in your mercs' inventories. They may also have had camo bonuses (I think the stealth ones make you sneak like a mad bastard too).

Can't see any reason why they wouldn't work if you enabled them with the XML editor, but they don't really serve much of a purpose now that there's a load of webbing and assault vests in game.

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'm about to try a MERC only playthrough (with the IMP character as well, I'm not that much of a glutton for punishment). Does Larry ever recover after falling off the waggon, or does he keep the junkie statline forever?

I read that it's possible to sober him up if he has a near-death experience, or sees one of the bugs. Never tried the second one (who the gently caress plays sci-fi?) and every time I've tried the first one I cocked it up and he died.

On a completely unrelated note, Biggins owns hard. I was using him to train everyone else up on explosives and he bugged out and jumped straight to 100 leadership and wisdom. Now he's tear-arsing around Arulco with an SA80 shooting the tits off every sorry third-world motherfucker that looks at him funny. I'm sorely tempted to hire Red so I can have Team UK Moustache.

EDIT: oops, meant to spoiler tag the first bit.

Baytor fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 26, 2012

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

There's nothing stopping you from not meeting/ignoring the rebels. You can talk to Miguel on Day 1 or Day 100 and it still pans out the same.

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

I usually end up with at least one Ithaca 37 or Serbu floating around because lockbuster ammo is always handy. Especially if you're using the Wildfire maps, because almost every door seems to be locked and it sucks trying to crowbar or pick them open when you're getting shot at.

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

If cash is a major concern, consider taking the mine first and working your way towards the airport once you've got some militia sorted out. While the mine income will be severely reduced due to the fact that you don't hold all of the town, at least you'll have some cash trickling in. Plus, if you hit the mine first, there'll be fewer enemies hanging around which compensates for the fact that it's all houses. Granted you'll end up fighting more guys when you rock up at the airport, but there's less places for them to hide there.

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

Copper wire + watch = timed detonator
Alcohol + rag = molotov
Knife + T-shirt = rag

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

I don't know if anyone's posted about it already, but Silent Storm is available on GOG for ten of your American dollars. It's a drat sight more fun than BIA, especially if you mod out those retarded robot suits. I'd even go so far as to say it's as near to a proper JA2 sequel as we're going to get in terms of how it feels.

The devs definitely get bonus points for using some of the JA2 voice actors as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

Oh god the new fragmentation effects are brilliant. I'm going to issue everyone an MGL-140 next playthrough and laugh my balls off at the carnage.

Also, how long has there been a weapon range multiplier in the .ini? It's rad as hell, I've not seen one single redshirt try to kill my guys by lobbing .38 Special at them in a parabolic arc.