Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Yeah, might give it a try once more. I'm itching to cheat and decimate the Deidrannans with Steyr ACRs and whatnot.

Question - is Scope still insanely weak at readying things? The last update, Scope often didn't have enough AP to get a decent headshot when I gave her the Erma, let alone work the bolt, while Reaper had no trouble with his Barret. I'm thinking of giving her an M14 EBR or another semi-auto sniper rifle that doesn't suck if she is. (Or, uh, stick with her default rifle.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

scamtank posted:

Considering how the trait system now gives snipers and marksmen a big huge speed boost for operating bolt-action rifles, that might have changed.

Numerically I have a hard time telling why she would suck so much. She's got a lot of health, agility and average dexterity, shouldn't she have action points out of the rear end?

She did. Until the update before this one. I think it was the Erma's weight plus the fact I had her carry her default gun just in case, but she was wearing SWAT fatigues.

In that case, my avatar probably applies to my profound tactical decision.

Might have been a bug, since Reaper had EOD armor and a G11 and fired his Barret fine.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Rascyc posted:

AP to ready is a weapon characteristic for the most part. I don't know the Erma off the top of my head but it was likely your culprit.

Dealing with the detailed information on weapons solved a lot of headaches for me. For awhile I was using a thompson and wondering why the hell it consumed SO MUCH AP for just a simple SMG and then I finally decided to start understanding those stats and saw it had a massive ready cost.

Also getting in the habit of raising my weapons beforehand alleviated some of that problem too.

The weird thing is was that the Erma was, I think, slightly heavier than Scope's regular rifle (I keep forgetting what it is).

Anyway, I disagree with the rifles being useless bit. Shadow's a God with a cold-loaded C7A2 or SCAR-H. Though, unless you're some sort of weird tacticool jerk like me, don't go with G11s unless you're fighting Elites in Spectra Armor - I remember having to have Raider spend ten minutes chasing down the last enemy in the sector after shooting him in the back with the G11 several times. (Yes, I know, the G11's hilariously small round is the culprit. I like my fifty ammo capacity dammit)

The Steyr ACR is drat good in my opinion, though. Yes, I like tacticool gimmick guns.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Rabhadh posted:

Ugh Im lovinge this game but its so drat hard. Its refreshing though, getting my rear end kicked.

Be a dirty cheater like me and give all your mercs SOTA weapons and armor, laugh as you destroy Soviet-era level Deidrannan forces with your ASSAULT RIFLE THAT SHOOTS DARTS! and spit at their AK-47s with your EOD armor.

I've encountered glaser rounds only, but only sometimes - they just use standard ball. I think it might be because I didn't have auto-leveling on.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

lipstick thespian posted:

Just killed the crepitus queen on ironman by shooting it in the face with a rocket, at which point Buzz quips about how the only thing the queen had done wrong was to give birth to males.

Girl needs some help.

Heh. Lynx's vanilla dialog is worse (clicking the "talk to" icon/lips and then talking to him out of combat in a sector).

I guess opposites violently attracted.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Holy crap, you can do that? :psyduck: I've had this game since it was released on GOG years ago and I had no idea.

Yeah, I realized like a year ago. I wonder if they're leftovers, because it makes them sound like they're losing morale all the time due to the people they're placed with (NONE of them get along according to it).

A lot of my standard team hates Buns for some reason (Jesus, she really has a lot of people angry at her). I like Ice and Spider, so.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
You guys go for Fox? I go for Tex instead and load his revolvers with AET. Everyone he can hit dies. They're better than the Satan, too!

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I am convinced Meltdown was Revy's friend or fellow gang member when they were young 'uns. I mean, Meltdown even dual-wields Berettas and her ending dialogue is something Revy would say.

Anyway.

You guys ever cheat and have a squad of thirty mercs? The loving chorus of voices every time you select them all is AKLSdjfLDFHJfhkjsdhfskjd

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No, not really. Ammo is absurdly scarce and Bobby Ray doesn't carry it. If you can find a few clips, it's worth having one guy lug one around on account of the absurd amounts of damage they do, but really, you'll still be scrambling for ammo even with one guy.

Not to mention they're not really around until endgame or if you brought Shadow along to stop the Rifle in Alma from getting exploded.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Huh, that's weird. I remember having Barry lay dynamite at a tank's threads and not having it do any damage... then again, I'm probably remembering wrong or I glitched out.

I wonder if the Steyr ACR is worth it - its damage and accuracy is high and penetrates armor like [stupid joke about phalluses ripping whatever here], but I think I'm better off with AICWs/OICWs/FN-SCARs on account of having grenade capabilities and more ammo (though I tend to buy a shitload of darts and wait until they restock before I herd everyone out to do some actual killing).

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Arrath posted:

Good lord thats brilliant!.

It's also good in the case of that crusty British sniper from MERC, forgot his name. He's a decent demo expert as well, and surprisingly, his senile bones don't explode as soon as you give him a mortar.

Switching between his rifle (whatever it is) and a Mortar is a bitch during combat for obvious reasons, though.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Anybody ever used Stogie? He's expensive but an absolute destruction machine. Seriously, dude just wrecks EVERYTHING. He also probably has the funniest "oh no my friend died" quote. "Biff's gone? Hamdog, he was like a pet to me."

I did. Dude is basically Gus without the mobile penalty. I usually stuff him together with Gus in the same squad - bastards wreck EVERYTHING.

Seriously, just those two turn the place into Co-Op Commando.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
It took me a month to get to Meduna - Granted, I was cheating and had a squad of twenty five mercs - and I never got a "son, i am disappoint" email from him, does it have to do with the amount of towns you take?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Also depends on your shipment. If you're, say, buying SCARs and Spectra, best to bribe him (most of the stuff he gave me were stuff like low-quality AKs and crap).

Question - Sometimes I can find Skyrider west of the airport, but sometimes, he's just not there. I know there's another sector he's set to be generated in...

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah, he mentions in the comments that he had to abuse a bug to keep her from running down there.

I hear it's possible to get to her before she hits the panic room, but it requires a giant-rear end blitzkrieg.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

ThingWhatKicks posted:

10-15 dudes. drat I don't see how 60 would even be possible, I just don't have that much ammo.

Thanks, I'll try to fight through this, and if I keep getting owned I'll turn that off too.

Hole up in the houses, make sure you watch the doors, and STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM WINDOWS. The best place to hole up is in the mining building, since it's got one entrance, and unless you gave your enemies crazy-good equipment, none of them are packing grenades.

If I recall, it's more than sixty if the counter-attack is set to true. I remember Barry cooking 30+ mooks in clusters. Even Spider got a kill that night.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I bet he's a runaway from Tixia.

Anyway, is there a way to permanently disable SAM sites? I tried blowing up the consoles with TNT, but as soon as I get the mercs in the air, jackass soldiers re-take the site whenever Skyrider is flying back to the airport and blast the poo poo out of him.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Isn't there a real-time mod for JA2...?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
In my opinion, most of the cool guns are out of the player's initial money reach, even after taking Drassen and the mine.

Also, in my opinion, counterattack is more tedious and resource wasting (then again, I am a cheating bitch who edited the .txt files for UGH UGH EOD SPECIAL OPS TACTICLOL MERCS UGH UGH G11S AND ACRS AND poo poo UGH UGH, but even without, it seems like a matter of holing up and placing mercs smartly. At least the Deidrannans don't have mortars.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I just dragged Barry and Fidel along (and the old British sniper from MERC whose name keeps evading me) and lay down fire from the entrance of the church.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I'm surprised the EOD suits don't incur aiming penalties, just stamina ones...

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

I forget which female voice it is but one of them will say "I'm finished my task" and I have no idea how the writer, voice actress, and possible QA all missed it because the bad grammar is maddening.

The really calm and normal one, iirc.

I still prefer Female IMP 3 (I think it was 3).

"Okay, let's pop some zits" makes me feel like I'm ready to mow down loads of Deidrannans.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Foehammer posted:

NCTH makes Scully into a god for the first few days, since his L85 comes with a 4x ACOG by default. He's far better on day one than Lynx, Gus, or Reaper :wtc:

E: Also he gets along with everyone :cheers:

I wondered how the gently caress he doesn't activate Stogie's hate for Australians (like Stogie's hate for Trevor)...

Also, does the OICW have some weird to-hit bonus that's not on the info list? I usually gave Magic an OICW and he decimated anything within range, but on another runthrough with an AICW and an ACR, he kept missing stuff.

edit: also gently caress the new V 1.13 German sniper for hating Sidney, he's awesome.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Scope is the only sniper for me. She won my heart when she scored two headshots with one bullet in one of my games :swoon:

The nice thing is she gets along with nearly everyone too (only Numb hates her, and she doesn't hate anyone).

Yeah, but I remember the time one of the 1.13 versions utterly ruined her strength, so the ready times with her and an Erma were off the roof. :psyduck:

That reminds me, clicking the "talk" button and talking to a merc out of battle reveals they all barely tolerate each other. Scope actually politely insults Lynx if he goes off on his "women should be kept barefoot and pregnant" tangent.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Mans posted:

That's a bug, the response is supposed to depend on the moral of the merc but for some reason they all just say the "low moral" option. It's kind of funny to think they barely tolerate each other.

Hey, it's still worthless for Ice's response.

"Man, I don't know where these guys get off calling themselves 'mercs'. They're more like... JERCS."

Bless your heart, Ice.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

membranoid posted:

Guess I shouldn't have beat Pablo to death with a crowbar then.

You get someone even worse if you do. The next guy... I've only heard about him, because I left Drassen as soon as I shot the fucker, but apparently, he doesn't steal shipments, he loses them. All the time. Something like fifty percent chance of a loss.

Shooting HIM gets you no replacement and a huge support drop in Drassen.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Plank posted:

Ugh, I hate the Diemaco C7. Such a hideous shade of green, and it just looks so awkwardly goofy compared to the modern M16A4 that I can't bring myself to use it.

Yeah, but it used to be the best 5.56 weapon for stealth ops, for some loving reason.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Seriously, use mortars if you have Deidranna's assault on Drassen on. Barry's very cheap and can make the waves significantly easier, even by himself.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Urgh, I ordered a bunch of crap from Bobby Ray's, but even after the confirmation emails showed up and I made drat sure Pablo wouldn't steal poo poo, the game won't spawn the items I ordered.

(I'm cheating, so we're talking like 20+ shipments of armor and guns.)

Also, how the gently caress did five pigs with cheap pistols in a psuedocircle manage to severely wound Fidel and kill Highball? Probably night combat, but then again, Reaper managed to miss with his 416 at mid-range and Raven literally missed all her single shots point blank at a standing redshirt.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Copper Vein posted:

poo poo, is this true? I've just been throwing the odd LAW that drops in the back of the ice cream truck so I thought I'd be ok.

YES. I found this out the hard way when I accidentally looped a path.

edit: Yeah, I think I'll drop NCTH (even though I have scopes on the weapons that are coming in) and use the Ctrl+M trick, the crate was open. Thanks for the advice.

What's the Ctrl command to sell all dropped stuff in a sector again?

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 6, 2012

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I seriously wish there was an easier way to rig the Hick house with C4. Since I cheated and had four demo experts with me, I just laid the place out with C4, since the Hicks are too dumb to realize that four dudes with weird accents and hi-tech armor spraying gray crap everywhere isn't a good thing.

Also, I'm disappointed you can't fully demolish buildings. I was once bored enough to blow out all the walls there.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
What's the thing that keeps my goddamn mercs from hitting anything? I don't care how realistic my SWAT sniper not hitting an enemy literally in front of her while sprinting is, the fact the same enemy manages to severely wound her and two Spetsnaz members is not fun. :qq:

In other news, I thought BIA was always moddable? Sad to hear there's no Elliot scenes, though.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Are there any penalties in CQC if you use the ACOG/Red Dot combo, or slapping on a red dot with a sniper scope?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Burning Mustache posted:

Ah, welp :(

Yeah that sucks big time then.

International payments tend to break down for some dumb loving reason.

I think half the negative reaction is the 350K goal, and the fact that the devs aren't a company slobbered over by angry, nostalgic, elitist nerds. (If only SirTech didn't go kaput... :sigh:) I don't think Back in Action was THAT bad, but still, given the lukewarm purchases of Back in Action...

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Losing mercenaries scares off some mercs, but I doubt that should trigger with just three dead mercenaries... that usually applies if you wipe out, like, half the AIM roster. What do they say when you try to hire one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Sidney's one of the mid-tier mercenaries... that does mean you've let too many mercs die under your watch, but as before, that shouldn't be because three mercenaries died.

It might be because one of the rebel leaders got killed.