Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do i take off Nails' leather jacked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scamtank posted:

Give him a kevlar-lined one instead.

(You can't.)

Oh hey, i can edit mercs' starting gear, cool :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Sean posted:

Mostly detonators are a waste of time in my opinion. Just drop the explosive on the ground where you want it go off, step back, and check 1 or maybe 2 grenades at it and it will go off.

Yeah, every time i want to lock my car i just savagely beat the poo poo out of it with a shovel until the door can't open.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But it's dumb because you usually carry only three or four grenades per merc and if you're replacing them with BR grenades you're paying out of your rear end for each dynamite (tnt+detonator+grenade) and if you're replacing them with loot then you have an almost sure chance of those not working.

All of this because you don't want to put a cheap trigger in a dyno stick.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redreader posted:

Is 7.62 worth getting if you love turn-based tactical squad combat games? (my fave genre)

edit: I haven't played silent storm either. Which is best?

Silent Storm is great until the Panzerkleins. After you find the FIRST one you're better off uninstalling the game because it will only get worse.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They also have bigger manpower reserves. I don't actually know what happens when the reserves reach zero though.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Broose posted:

I can't rightly start a campaign before hearing "She is E-vil. A driven Bitch." :allears:

Theresstuff :downs:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Razor modelled after Dolph Lundgren? I used MERCS for the first time ever and both him and Gasket are suprisingly good! Razer netted more kills than Igor himself while Gasket repairs the poo poo out of the 20% equipment i buy :3:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's kinda funny, if you obliterate the base and a blackshit takes over you'll see a devastated base with a computer placed in the middle of the rubble.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

drat, something ticked over. Bobby Ray's selection just increased quite a bit! Full Assault Rifles, Ceramic plates, 40mm Greandes, Body armor, tons of LBE stuff. :psyduck: I haven't even taken Cambria or Grumm yet.

drat I wish I had an extra $20,000 sitting around. Hard to decide what to buy and what to prioritize. Is the SWAT or Zylon armor any good? I was thinking of picking up some Full Assault Rifles, then I noticed that their ready cost is 15 AP (compared to the 3 AP of my M4 Commandos), yikes. Still no LMGs, I'd kill for an M249/Minimi. No useful gun attachments besides x7 scopes and retractable stocks either. :smith:

Also a truly staggering amount of AK variants, I have a feeling I'll be clicking past a half-dozen pages of Kalishnakov eventually. :v:

What to buy, what to buy... :ohdear:

Go steal the money from San Mona and put a strong merc in the Boxing ring. Do the deed quest and you get another 10k. San Mona is a great city to grab some "free" 20\30k to buy that precious LMG or high quality sniper you so desperately need. If you're feeling lucky and you have two squads of mercs then you can try your luck against Kingpin himself. Take control of the area outside of his house and fill the exits with toxic gases. Their loot is pretty good to either use or sell.

In fact, just kill all of San Mona. They are dirty collaborators and loyalists should be shot on sight :colbert:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My mainline fighters are starting to carry pretty heavy loads about 80% of their normal capacity, is that going to cause penalties? Or is that only after 100%?

85% percent if i'm not mistaken. Just have your mercs drop their packs whenever a battle starts.

It's usually better to equip your mercs according to what you want to do with them. If they have SMGs and are good stealth characters then it'd probably be best to give them light armor while the assault rifles get heavier gear to hold a firing line. Make sure to remove any helmets and pants out of your snipers and give them a Flack Jacket at best. The penalties are too serious to waste on someone who only gets shot if you're in serious trouble anyway.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For the most part, they're just set up as riflemen.

Haha poor Spider! Switch her backpack gear with Igor, he can carry that without suffering fatigue penalties, or at least he won't go over 100%.

But you don't really have a lot of gear. Igor and Helmut are bellow the weight penalty while the rest can drop their bags whenever a fight starts. They'll move a bit slower in the tatical map because of extra fatigue but Igor gives you a good travel bonus (i think).

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It might be considered cheap but making six IMP mercs can save anyone's campaign. Don't be fooled by the MERCs stats, some of them are pretty good, although you shouldn't bother with Gasket, he and Steroid hate Ivan.

Personally i have no problem with you or anyone else talking about their JA2 campaigns. The game is great and it's interesting to see everyone's take on the campaign.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, I'm really starting to feel sorry for Elliot, he isn't looking too good these days. :ohdear:

Have you ever finished a JA2 game? Because he gets better and better.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chairface posted:

Also just so you don't think the first reply being all "Mod it to that then" was entirely smartass, I agree with pretty much all of that and would gladly play such a mod-mod were someone to put it together. Particularly if it also fixed the "every squad of the Arulcan Army has no attempt whatsoever to standardize! Every soldier a special snowflake!" effect too. Sure it might be more boring if the yellowshirts are all reservists with M1 carbines, all redshirts carrying "some AK or another" etc but it'd also make more sense.

And it's not really the 1.13 patch that does it; the base game also featured bizarre weapon progression and loadouts on the government boys, even if there were fewer AK variants available.

A really lazy way to fix gun availability is to open the XML Editor and put all the guns you don't want in the Sci-fi mode. Then all you need to do is start the game in the regular mode all all the AK clones you put into Sci-fi mode won't show up.

You can then go to Inventories-> Enemy Items and choose which weapons and assorted gear are available to enemy troops. Want yellow shirts with SCARS? Do it! Want the end game to be Stalingrad? Give the end game troops PPSHs, Mosin Nagants and Tokarevs!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're not using the Metal Storm as a Sidearm then i don't know what to call you.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The reason i keep coming back to JA2 is because of the characters. Where else do you have some 60 unique characters with their own personality and with a unique voice actor that has a reply to a million things that you probably never heard or ever will in your entire life time. Go ahead, expose every single merc to the bugs, to a rotting corpse, make them blow a head off it's shoulders, talk to Pablo, be the first to land in Arulco, reply to Miguel when you first meet the rebels or let the call hang for a few seconds to see how each merc replies when you don't press the "hire" or "hang up" button and what they say if you don't have the cash for them.

It's also great when you discover new love\hate relationships. Seeing Steroid and Gasket flip their shits when Ivan is on the team is hilarious, but who cares, it's so cute to see Ivan and Grunty patting each other on the back whenever they murder a conscripted third world soldier :3:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's funny how you can tell apart all the black people but the white guys all look the same. Reverse racism! :downs:

Look at Danny and Grizzly. Look at them.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A native team is pretty cool thing to use simply because of the long rear end eulogy everyone gives when Miguel bites the bullet.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not getting it, you can uses axes in BiA? And there's an enemy that's pretty much a dedicated axe user?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

signalnoise posted:

How do you do this?

In the AIM page there's a link section. You'll find the god of guns there.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grate deceiver posted:

Goddamn, I was browsing that wiki and look what I find:
http://jaggedalliance.wikia.com/wiki/Terry_%22Slay%22

I played this game probably a million times, with and without 1.13, Wildfire and what have you. It's been one of may favorite games ever since the demo came out back in 1999. Never knew you could recruit the wheelchair guy.

This loving game.

http://jaggedalliance.wikia.com/wiki/Igmus_%22Iggy%22_Palkov

I never saw this guy. I started playing this game before i was a teenager and i still discover new poo poo.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jagged Alliance BiA: More Snapper-heads.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Bates posted:

He deserves it, considering what happened to his family. Has anyone ever let Ira have the kill shot? I'm actually kind of morbidly curious to hear the resulting harpy screechings.

That is making the massive assumption that Ira can hit a target.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Edit every merc's clothes to plain brown, equip them all with ppsh's, no armor and a steel helmet and show Miguel how to make a proper coup :ussr:

Gyoru posted:

Someone ported 19 mercenaries (AIM & MERC) from Jagged Alliance 1 to 1.13. :toot:
http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=298288#Post298288

v2.4 is the latest version at the time of this post.

This works with 1.13 right?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JackMackerel posted:

That reminds me, clicking the "talk" button and talking to a merc out of battle reveals they all barely tolerate each other. Scope actually politely insults Lynx if he goes off on his "women should be kept barefoot and pregnant" tangent.
That's a bug, the response is supposed to depend on the moral of the merc but for some reason they all just say the "low moral" option. It's kind of funny to think they barely tolerate each other.

Gadzuko posted:

Hotkeys are much faster. C for crouch, P for prone, S to stand and R to run. J to climb onto rooftops.

Shift+J to jump windows.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This game bums me out sometimes :smith:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sistergodiva posted:

I've got Flo, Ira, Ivan, Igor, Barry and my sniper imp.

The problem is that my income is like 5k or something since I lost the mine, and San Mona does not have a mine (abandoned means empty I'm guessing?) So I can't really hire a merc to compensate for leaving Flo and Ira. Maybe I should just restart, now that I've gotten used to the game and strats.

Abandon Drassen and try an assault on Cambria. It will be a tough offensive but you desperately need a new mine and Grumm\Alma are simply too well protected for a 5 man squad to clear by themselves.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, i'm dragging Razor with me to the queen with save-scumming if i have to. Then i'll give him a machete and i'll let him have the most prestigious turkey in the whole island.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're a JA2 veteran you'll find the game quite easier. Due to the massive amount of loot you'll find you can win some 10 to 20k after each massive battle, you'll also be able to buy gearless mercs and equip them with dropped gear. I wouldn't say it destroys game balance, i like to play with drop all on because of the extra ammo and grenades, if you don't sell the loot you won't really break the game. Plus, the loot is sold at 1\10th of the regular price if i'm not mistaken, so it's not like you'll be a millionaire in no time.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Joey, go back to your mother, she's worried sick.

I know San Mona is a wild place where every teenage boy wants to go, so here's a little gift for you :3:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TastyLemonDrops posted:

What minor traits would you guys consider the best for a general purpose merc? I know night ops is probably at the top of everyone's list.

Psycho is the only trait you need.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The mission is to kill Deidrana. There's nothing else. She's on Meduna, on the south side of the island. You must conquer cities to gain loyalty. each city has 3 to 5 squares and you gain loyalty in that city the more squares you conquer. Losing a square will net you a penalty in loyalty. Loyalty allows you to train and recruit militias which can defend your cities, freeing your mercs to attack other locations.

Miguel is in Omerta. When you first land in Arulco and fight off the enemies in the first map you'll find a little boy and a woman in the ruins of the village. Give them the letter your first mercenary has and she'll guide you to the hideout.

After talking to them you can recruit Ira right away. They'll ask for supplies, which can be obtained by talking to the priest in Drassen. When they get their supplies you can come back to the camp to recruit Dimitri. After four cities liberated you can recruit Carlos and with 5 you can finally get Miguel. You can travel to other areas by moving your mercs to the side you want to go, hugging them to the "wall" and pressing the new icon that will show up. Alternatively, you can go back to the tactical map (bottom right corner) and move your mercs like that.

The normal order of the campaign is usually Drassen, Chitzena, although because it's so far away you might be better off going after Cambria. After these three cities you should either hit Grumm , the industrial heart of Arulco, or Alma, the military center. Each will be tough, much tougher than the first three cities.

I think that covers it. Don't forget to use IMPs and to use the 1.13 mod if you're not doing it already.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think you, you can try changing the weapons from sci fi mode to regular mode to see if they appear, but i doubt it works.

So, i looked at the XML files and there are recon, stealth ops, medic, mechanics and field op armors, basically improved version of regular twaron, guardian, kevlar vests and the like.

They look pretty good and seem awesome but for some reason they're blocked entirely from the game. You can't buy them in BR nor does the enemy use them. Anyone know if it's alright to put this on Bobby Rays or will it crash my game?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zigmidge posted:

drat I wish this game didn't start the way it did. I'm so sick of that run-down town and the march to Drassen dodging/fighting that first patrol and taking over Drassen for the billionth time.

I keep trying to start a new game because BiA ran out of replay value (whose idea was it to have no weapon progression?) but it's just not worth wasting an hour of my life dealing with this abysmal interface and slow start just to get to ordering from Bobby Ray and shooting people in the face.

Can anyone give me a 'blank canvas' save file they use to skip all that?

Ctrl+gabby

Alt+O

March to the Airport Alt+Oing anything that bothers you.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do i disable mortars? I don't use them myself so it's frustrating to see death come from above with laser guided accuracy.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People REALLY hate Numb. He seems like one of those guys that can't stop talking about music but the way he's chewed by everyone else is pretty odd.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hairrorist posted:

Man its been forever since I played this... I forget, is there a way to remove barrel extensions or are they permanent?

Grab a lot of spare ammunition and go full auto on a wall or two.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And as with anything in JA2, the number of villages can be edited in the Ini editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah Skyrider can be completely missed for literally entire playthroughs if you never payed attention to a single civilian in a building. There's not much to say about the ice cream truck though, just walk around Arulco until you find Hamous.