Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

az
Dec 2, 2005

physeter posted:

I just cheese my way through the Drassen counter. Green militia, hell militia at all, will just double the time it takes. Move all my militia out, put my dudes in the bar just southeast of the doorway, south of the pool table. Assume the positions men, I need two prone, two crouching, and two standing. Grizzly up in front with the shotgun we liberated from Father Pervo's private play area. Ira, shut the gently caress up. We'll be delivering glaser rounds to skulls for the next 2 hours realtime, so everyone get comfortable.

I don't know why I don't just disable it in the .ini.

This works well until the ai throws a fit and absolutely refuses to enter, even when you let them spot you and make loud noises inside to lure them. You can see the entire force sitting outside the bar in the middle of the map not giving a poo poo, when you cheat to see everything. So many wasted hours :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

I just used proedit for the first time to make Steroid fit into my Ivan-Igor-Grunty high five team and hot drat are there alot of hidden modifiers for characters in this. Especially the "hate nationality" modifiers, Magic hates the danish, Fidel hates the irish and Miguel hates germans. I wonder what stories are behind all that.

Edit: naturally Deidranna hates arulcans.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I'm doing the drassen counterattack for that. Just slugged through it for over an hour, down in the foremans shack. Seems to work much better than the bar for me and I got a couple sniper rifles and good assault rifles (g3, ak, m4) for my entire squad, which I can't even buy on BR for a long time. It's still a pain in the rear end to do it.

Using Steroid for the first time too, and drat that boy learns marksmanship fast despite his wisdom. He's the best shooter I have currently and I didn't even try to feed him kills.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Incendiary and those russian jumping grenades are crazy even without changing the ini. I have at least one grenade launcher in my squad to use against blobs of enemies, and what it doesn't kill lies bleeding on the ground for a turn.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I never upped the explosive damage because at some point in all of my games every enemy blackshirt/camo squad carries mortars like they're in now. Mortars suck when you are on the receiving end.

az
Dec 2, 2005

For all the amazing work the 1.13 team puts into this, I would really really love to see them adding something along the lines of a new campaign, a new country, or just new maps like those from wildfire. My only gripe with 1.13 is that I've just seen everything too many times in the ten years it's been there.

az
Dec 2, 2005

chairface posted:

Unrelated note: Is there some purpose to the rocket rifles I'm missing? Both kinds of ammo just seem bleh. I mean, yeah, I could use this, or I could use a M21 tactical that weighs less, has better range and does more damage? I admit to not having tried them against tanks, but drat they'd have to be unholy tank shredders to justify how much they suck otherwise.

I haven't used them in a long time but they used to be really fun with HEAP rockets. They pierced the armor, detonated the payload and came out the back.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

That's how it should look like at night with and without nvgs. Especially the light aura ("g" to toggle) shows the difference clearly.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Also Honest Thief, you need to release and repress END/DEL after making any changes such as swapping goggles, because those viewmodes don't update automatically, maybe that was part of the problem too.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Megasabin posted:

I just started this game and I have to say I'm pretty lost. I played fallout tactics but this is way more complicated.

Are there any guides to just general combat?

Yeah this is quite complicated but it comes naturally after a while.

As to regular combat, this is just off the top of my head.

-If you have backpacks, drop them before you engage the enemy with shift-b or they'll slow you down
-always look for cover, use your mercs in pairs to cover each other at all times. everything that can't be walked over like trees, rocks or other objects catches bullets for you
-you don't always have to advance to kill the enemy, oftentimes you can lure them around corners or make them come to you
-crouching should be your standard stance unless you need to move fast or need get out of dodge quick
-if you set up a position, use "l" to have your guys ready and aim in the directions you want to cover
-don't fight in the open when you get caught in an ambush. it's better to run away for cover than it is to stand and take a beating.
-go for headshots if you have a decent enough chance but don't waste bullets or ap on long range, bad chance shots
-nightgoggles save your rear end at night, very powerful with night ops characters. glowsticks and grenades can make for nasty surprises.
-heal yellow damage before you bleed too much
-and as a rule of thumb, you'll always be outnumbered so it's more important to not have your mercs get shot than to shoot the bad guys, take care of them.

SirViver posted:

Also Ctrl-Shift-B to drop all your large backpacks at the start of a battle and then after you've cleared the sector Ctrl-Shift-F which performs a Shift-F + Shift-S and picks up the large backpacks again.

Don't forget ctrl-shift-m to merge all consumable items such as ammo and medkits in the sector.

az
Dec 2, 2005

In the same vein, I just had Alma mine counterattacked by elite troops on expert just as I had trained a full squad of green militia. Cue 15 minutues of blackshirts shooting mustard gas and explosive grenades at my goons, wildly missing and gassing/exploding half the civilians.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Anything different from the previous try will reset the checksum aganinst rolls. You can have another merc move a tile or look around and the shot will be different, or just take the shot with one click more or less to aiming.

az
Dec 2, 2005

chairface posted:

Related note, a while back I had Ivan lose a big chunk of morale and go "Idiot! (insert cyrillics)" I have no idea what his problem was, I couldn't make out the name of any other mercs in there. He's in a squad with Igor, Bubba, Thor, Stephen and Maddog

Ivan "learns to hate" Bubba.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Weapons jam too easily tbh. I can't even touch anything below 90% because it'd jam the hell up during the next firefight.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Ansob. posted:

Or just set BR's to the highest setting in 1.13, capture Drassen, sit on the mine for two weeks, buy Dyneemo armour with ceramic plates for everyone and get them all M14/M21 EBRs with scopes according to what range you want them to fight at, and a bunch of AP ammo.

Why Dyneema armor? I've always found Spectra to be the best. And talking of guns, the FN Fal and Scar H SV have better stats than the EBR 14s with the same attachments.

Jinnigan posted:

where the hell is the helicopter dude? i found his house northeast of dressen, but he's not in it, and i've spent the last hour looking around dressen for him too (no houses anywhere else)

Check all the swamp sectors to the east of town, if he ain't there try checking the swampy north and south sectors directly around Drassen.

az
Dec 2, 2005

You get a mechanical merc to combine the necessary items and then slap it onto a rifle like a regular attachment, just that they are permanent and can never be removed. The barrel extender is pretty useless imho but the rod and spring is amazing for weapons that excel at auto and burst fire. LMGs with a rod&spring and trigger assembly are crazy bullet hoses.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I saw there is a wildfire version of 1.13 called wildfire 6.06, last update two days ago. The documentation is sketchy tho and I'm not sure how much of it is stable or up to date with the current 1.13. Anyone ever try that?

az
Dec 2, 2005

It took me a while but I managed to piece together how to play 1.13 on the wildfire maps/with the wildfire campaign (without actually using the original wildfire game). Finished the Drassen counterattack without a hitch, no bugs or anything yet. It's pretty much the current 1.13 with all its features and items set in wildfire plus some added gear and misc stuff. I'll write up a how-to if anyone wants to do the same.

az
Dec 2, 2005

How-to Wildfire 1.13

1. Make a fresh copy or backup of the most recent, complete JA2 v1.13
2. Rename the Data-1.13 to Data-WildFire6.06
3. Use SVN on a new folder and download from "https://81.169.133.124/source/ja2/branches/Wanne/JA2 1.13 Wildfire 6.06 EN - Merc MOD" without the quotes.
4. Copy everything from the SVN download over the 1.13 installation you made, overwrite everything.
5. In the root folder, open JA2.ini and make sure it reads "VFS_CONFIG_INI = vfs_config.JA2113Wildfire6.ini"
6. Again in the root open vfs_config.JA2113Wildfire6.ini and make sure it reads
code:
[LOC_datav113_dir]
TYPE = DIRECTORY
PATH = Data-WildFire6.06
MOUNT_POINT = 
7. Go here and download this and this
8. Follow the instructions and extract those into the Wildfire data folder except for the tilecache folder which goes to vanilla data.
9. Done! You should launch the ini editor and open the ja2options.ini in the wildfire folder. By default it's set to extremly diffictult with large bonuses on explosives, guns, enemy aps etc. Modify it at your leisure, save, play.

az
Dec 2, 2005

:smug:

az
Dec 2, 2005

I recently started making molotovs out of every rag and bottle of alcohol I found, they work pretty much like incendiary grenades and are nothing but awesome.

az
Dec 2, 2005

chairface posted:

Whoa, whoa, what version adds incendiary grenades? Also, molotovs, what what? Could someone post a list of all the stuff you can make with the random crap in the game?

The incendiary grenades are from the wildfire 1.13 a few posts up. Molotovs are in the regular 1.13, made by combining rags and bottles of alcohol. They burn bright and spread the fire over a couple rounds.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I'm not 100% on that but I think there was a palm tree or two where that incendiary grenade landed in my screenshot.

az
Dec 2, 2005

They're basically gas grenades that burn and can't be protected against with gasmasks. They'll spread fire in a wide circle and deal decent burn damage every round while also illuminating everyhting nearby. I haven't stopped using them since I discovered how useful they are.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Does it give you a black screen with debug info and something about 1.13 data bla bla? It's important to manually point the game to the renamed wildfire directory instead data 113. You should check if it runs after step 6 because that's where it crashed for me before I fixed it.

Should look like this
code:
#############################################################
##                       DATA PATHs                        ##
#############################################################
[LOC_data_dir]
TYPE = DIRECTORY
PATH = Data
MOUNT_POINT = 

[LOC_datav113_dir]
TYPE = DIRECTORY
PATH = Data-WildFire6.06
MOUNT_POINT = 

[LOC_dataWildfire6_dir]
TYPE = DIRECTORY
PATH = Data-WildFire6.06
MOUNT_POINT = 

[LOC_uprof_root]
TYPE = DIRECTORY
PATH = 
MOUNT_POINT = 

az fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 12, 2009

az
Dec 2, 2005

In my last game I had the Drassen mine dry up before day 20 and Chitzena a week later. :(

az
Dec 2, 2005

There's a function added in 1.13 that unfucks neverending hourglasses. Think it's set to pressing numlock for 30 seconds, but you can change it in the ini.

az
Dec 2, 2005

They fire rifles with one hand standing up.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Wildfire 1.13 has booby traps and claymores :)

az
Dec 2, 2005

chairface posted:

I continue to love Wildfire-1.13. I had worried that since I largely live off the land (use captured weapons) I'd have problems due to the enemy having pretty standardized loadouts

I got around that by editing the progress allocation in the ini away from exploration and adding an invisible increment to get better item drops.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Rutkowski posted:

Wildfire is a pretty lovely mod though so I don't get why you're playing it but whatever floats your boat. :)

Why would you say that? It's the same 1.13 game with some new items on different maps, which all look much better in my opinion.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Wildfire standalone was pretty bad but we're talking about wildfire 1.13, which is just the wildfire campaign with 1.13 content, gameplay and mechanics. It's really nice tbh.

az
Dec 2, 2005

WF added a lot of sectors to towns and the woman in Omerta only talks to you when you get a certain % of popularity in town. She took my letter after I cleared all four sectors.

az
Dec 2, 2005

The link in step 7 is going to
http://cid-78b663f2f40ed560.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/WF%7C_Item%7C_Mod
for mapfixes and extra items

az
Dec 2, 2005

The Queen has a summerhouse in wildfire that I occupied for myself :smug:

Also some cities have ports and warehouses with lots of free items. They are much more lifelike and realistic.

az
Dec 2, 2005

In WF you need to mix alcohol and oil, then add rags.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Lifted from here

There are a lot of mergables in wf. Check out the weapons and aiming sights section.

- Tank of Gas + Oil = Gasoline-Oil Mix
- Bottle of Alcohol + Oil = Alcohol-Oil Mix
- Glass Jar + Marbles = Jar with Marbles
- Detonator + Flare = modified Flare
- Detonator + Walkman = modified Walkman
- Detonator + Steeltube = Steel Tube with Primer

- various Grenades//Molotov Cocktail + Gasoline-Oil Mix = various Eagle Items
- String//copper wire + mod. Flare = Trip Flare
- String//copper wire + mod. Walkman = Trip Klaxon
- Pack of Gum + Flashbang = Flashbang Mine
- Pack of Gum + Mustard Gas Grenade = Mustard Gas Mine
- Pack of Gum + Tear Gas Grenade = Tear Gas Mine
- Pack of Gum + Smoke Grenade = Smoke Mine

- Rag + Alcohol-Oil Mix = Molotov Cocktail
- Duct Tape + Flare = taped Flare
- Duct Tape + Alcohol&Oil Mix = taped Alcohol&Oil
- Taped Flare + Alcohol&Oil Mix = Flarebomb (also works if the alcohol is taped or both are taped)

- RDX + TNT = HMX
- RDX + C1 = C4
- RDX + C1 small = C4 small
- C1 + copper wire = 2x C1 small
- C4 + copper wire = 2x C4 small
- shaped charge + shaped sharge = c1 small
- shaped charge + jar with marbels = improvised grenade
- copper Wire + Claymore = mod. Claymore (can be used as a bomb, instead of a mine)
- Gameboy + C1 small = 2x shaped charge
- 2 small charges C1/C4 = C1/C4

az
Dec 2, 2005

Yeah Drassen works fine.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Hangers? No not really, could you show a picture? Sounds like something broke in your installation because I had no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

That looks hilarious, and yeah they go into the data folder except for "tilecache" which goes into the vanilla data. Maybe you put it in the wrong place?