Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
Mustard Tiger
Dec 15, 2008

The bee bit my bottom
(now my bottom's big!)

I'm always fascinated with the art of shoplifting. Working in a Canadian department store, I've never caught more than a group of 14 year olds from stealing and the Loss Prevention department rarely tells us how they operate things, mostly because people working for us are the biggest culprits, what with the inside info and all.

An acquaintance of an acquaintance of mine works at Walmart, and I heard something ridiculous that made me seriously question how effective Loss Prevention is. "Candace" is the nighttime Customer Service manager at Walmart. Since October, Candace has payed for everything with gift cards, including weekly groceries, and a jumbo Christmas spree. She owns everything in Walmart, packed in her house. This is achieved by activating gift cards by fudging the numbers when it comes to totaling how much merchandise is returned during her full time shifts. I'm baffled. For those of you who work retail (or Walmart specifically) tell me if Walmart is taking the hit to put her away for more jail time, or is Candace actually getting away with this?

In Canada, there is Theft Under $5000, and Theft Over $5000. I'm curious, because she's had to have gone over $5000 by now, but I have yet to hear of her being hauled off to con college.

I've found this blog http://ishogun.com/2007/10/08/taogo...r-been-so-easy/ in my quest to find out, about a guy who's quite confident in his stealing food and fishing rods from Walmart. The best part is the ongoing comments he's gotten since posted in July, some from the "YEA gently caress WALLYWORLD RUGS ARE ON SALE SHOVE STUFF IN THE RUG TAKE THAT poo poo HOME" side of things, some on the "I work for loss prevention thanks for making my job easier" side of things.

quote:

Ace getaway driver { 12.05.08 at 4:09 pm }

1.gently caress wal-mart my mother worked there as a pharmacy tech they laid her off because she took to many sick day she has chrons disease she is basicly dieing so anyone who steals has my blessing.
2.an exciting story of how i got about 400 bucks in free poo poo. at one point my local wal-mart was under construction and working late hours i would show up 3 am one day i went by the garden section the outside one and to my surprise the door was open. now the section is gated by there are gaps above and below big enough to throw things over or slide things under. I could not resist for a bout a week straight i did this until they started locking the garden center once again.

95% of goons show they (hate) working retail. Share how effective your Loss Prevention is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaska
Jun 25, 2008

Apparently companies like CVS can't even stop people from walking out of their store as a result of insurance implications. So, pretty much if you're not obvious you can just leave with your stuff.

jaxomlotus
Jun 15, 2001

So let's call this for what it is: Are you really asking us to tell specific examples of how "our co-workers" steal from the companies we work for?

I hate to thread-poo poo, but this is a terrible idea.

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

Before I started working at home depot, there was a girl who got fired for something similar. When she was at returns and would go to scan a customer's store credit, she'd give them a card different than the one she would scan. The customer would get the card with nothing on it while she made away with the good store credit.

They found out about it because of video cameras and fired her.

nospacebar
Jan 6, 2003
once banned, twice shy.

jaxomlotus posted:

So let's call this for what it is: Are you really asking us to tell specific examples of how "our co-workers" steal from the companies we work for?

Oh, let the kids play. This'll spark at least once case of Chubby Vigilante, inconclusive internet detective.

jaxomlotus
Jun 15, 2001

EDIT: Hey ^! I'm fat, it's true.

By the way, that blog you linked with rampant information on how the author steals from Wal-Mart, didn't cloak their whois information.

Not a very bright thief. I hope Wal-Mart does something about them.

nospacebar
Jan 6, 2003
once banned, twice shy.

jaxomlotus posted:

By the way, that blog you linked with rampant information on how the author steals from Wal-Mart, didn't cloak their whois information.

Not a very bright thief. I hope Wal-Mart does something about them.

See?

Zeph
Apr 8, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

When I was younger, me and a friend would ride our bikes up to the local Wally and take computer games. The PC games were just on a shelf so we'd take them to a spot we knew was blind to the cameras, take the CD's out and walk out with them in our pockets. It was pretty easy.
Then another friend of ours got caught with all 5 CD's for Half-Life 2, and the WalMart made an example out of him, prosecuted and banned from the store and all that poo poo. We stopped then, because...we didn't want that to happen to us.

So, don't steal stuff, kids.

jaxomlotus
Jun 15, 2001

nospacebar posted:

See?

you're like the nostradamus of goons

Mustard Tiger
Dec 15, 2008

The bee bit my bottom
(now my bottom's big!)

jaxomlotus posted:

I wanna know if Loss Prevention actually does what they're payed to do. Getting away with stealing $5000 dollars? Is it in Walmart's interests to let someone keep stealing so they can give Candace a big 'gently caress you' when it becomes Theft over $5000, or can anyone working for Walmart enlighten me with stories of bad bookkeeping?

Stories of stealing from the store are interesting too, I wanna know if it's as easy to steal from there as this dude says it is.

edit: spelling :P

Mustard Tiger fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2009 around 03:00

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

My retail experience consists of a video rental store and a big box retailer, and it's quite easy to steal from either, especially if you can afford the item you want.

Zappatista
Oct 27, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

At my place of work the warehouse LOSS PREVENTION SUPERVISOR was caught sneaking cartons of cigarettes out of the warehouse. He apparently had modified his clothes to have special theft-enabling pockets and pouches and had been doing this for years.

Then again, the workplace safety supervisor fell off a forklift and walked around for 1 1/2 months with an arm in a cast.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

Stealing from any retail store is extremely easy. The stores don't help themselves with their ridiculous policies either.

323LX
Feb 17, 2004
"Thank you for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express..."

A good friend of mine is a former store manager for walmart.

From what he told me, most of the security cameras you see in the ceiling of the store (at least the one he worked at) were fake. They would have 1 or 2 loss prevention officers patrolling the store at all times posing as regular customers. At the particular store in question you could always spot one of the guys because he was there frequently and always had the same thing in his shopping cart.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

turn in your old, worn-out for the war effort

I was having a debate with a friend about this after Christmas.

Is it stealing if you return gifts to Wal-Mart that weren't purchased there? They'll usually give you a gift card for the amount, then you can buy whatever you want instead.

I didn't think it was, because as long as the gift isn't used (obviously), then they can still sell it and make money off of it. Plus, you'll be spending money there on top of it (with the gift card).

Feet Slash Birds
Feb 5, 2008

I demanded real money for internet risk and this is the result

I knew a guy who lived in my building who would go to a shop like Wal-Mart or Sams club and find something that came in a big box, like a set of pans, or a toaster. He would take it to a corner of the store, open it, leave the contents on a shelf and then fill the box with DVDs, gadgets, clothes, whatever he wanted. Then he'd pay the $20 for the toaster or whatever the box said and walk away with hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. He said when he got stopped at the door for setting off the alarm all he had to do was show the receipt for the toaster and they'd let him walk out the door.

naic
Jan 21, 2004
v2

7744 posted:

Stealing from any retail store is extremely easy. The stores don't help themselves with their ridiculous policies either.

Ya, this.

The past few times Ive gone shopping (various stores- electronics or clothing) I have set off the alarm every store Ive walked out of (I never took anything, just had a sensor/tag still in my clothes.) I was never stopped or questioned...they just arent going to bother with it.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Internal theft is big. At my job, we can do returns without a receipt like any other place. The way it works is we simply type in what we are going to return without a receipt. Then, we choose the payment method. Many, many, many managers have been fired all for doing these returns to their own credit cards. So if I were to do this, I would type in the model of some expensive items, hit credit, then swipe my own card. Voila! Free money!

What's sad, though, is most just find another manager retail job a week later after being fired for stealing thousands

brent78
Jun 23, 2004

I killed your cat, you druggie bitch.

Back when I was in college I dated a girl who worked at Ben & Jerry's. The company would weigh the ice cream tubs to make sure employees weren't giving away free ice cream or scooping more than they should. If the tubs were heavier than what was sold, then they would get a .25/hr payday bonus. So how do you gently caress the company and still get your bonus you ask? If a customer buys a waffle cone, ring it up as a hand packed pint which is the same price, yet twice the ice cream.

Mother Yeti
Oct 27, 2005

by Fistgrrl

I'd imagine that self-checkout has been God's gift to shoplifters. I've been to some stores where there's an employee posted there to make sure no one's "forgetting" to scan items, but that would seem to defeat the purpose of self-checkout.

I worked at Old Navy back in college. As corporate policy all we were allowed to do to avert shoplifters was to use our super awesome customer service skills! to make them feel conspicuous and scare them off - or maybe they'd realize that 2 tank tops for $12 was a STEAL already! Tee hee!

So basically we couldn't do jack poo poo, and according to our managers we needed so much evidence to prosecute shoplifters that catching them wasn't worth it. So I guess the moral of this story is, next time you need some cheap-rear end oversized clothing, head on over to Old Navy and get them on the house.

Citanu541
Dec 1, 2008

Not entirely related to the thread, but I'd just like to mention how easy it is to grab a bottle of soda out of the fridges at Wal-Mart near the registers when you get there, open it (with the intention to pay when you come to pay for the merchandise you came in for.) and end up leaving with out paying for it. Now, I've done this on multiple occasions, it's not that I've had the intention to not pay when I go in, I just forget. I won't dispute it's 100% negligence on my part to not pay for it. Like I said, I just forget I have it in the cart near my wife's purse until I'm loading groceries into our trunk. Sometimes I wonder if it'd be that easy with more expensive items. Though I would never act upon those thoughts, not even at Wal-Mart.

I'm also not recommending you try this, in the case that your Wal-Mart is more observant than mine.

zekezero
Apr 8, 2004

I was a public defender and represented quite a few people who thought it would be easy.

It's not.

They have cameras in the floor and parking lot and the pictures are very high resolution. The had a few of my clients on camera from the time they pulled up to the time they left.

Many were arrested weeks later after they had reviewed the tapes. In Ky theft over 300 is a felony so getting caught meant 1-5 years on a D felony.

This thread looks like a subtle "how to shoplift" thread... should be how to get arrested and go to jail thread.

Anuv
Apr 4, 2008

by Fragmaster

ask me questions about shoplifting. ill give you some cool tips and tricks.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

brent78 posted:

Back when I was in college I dated a girl who worked at Ben & Jerry's. The company would weigh the ice cream tubs to make sure employees weren't giving away free ice cream or scooping more than they should. If the tubs were heavier than what was sold, then they would get a .25/hr payday bonus. So how do you gently caress the company and still get your bonus you ask? If a customer buys a waffle cone, ring it up as a hand packed pint which is the same price, yet twice the ice cream.
Then they'll just start counting waffle cones. Or I would, if I cared enough.

But yeah, I worked in a Home Depot, and was pretty tight with the loss prevention guy. He was always pissed off because he wasn't allowed to stop anybody unless very specific criteria was met - like, he had to see them take it off the shelf, see them walk out the door, it had to be more than $x, he couldn't physically restrain them, etc. etc. Pissed him off a lot.

Of course, there were always internals, because lots of the people working there were both dishonest and retarded. Yeah, taking $60 out of your till won't get noticed. Right.

Edit: also, I just remembered a great return fraud - she walks up, out of the middle of the store, with two garage door openers on a cart, says she just doesn't need them, and doesn't have a receipt. Yeah, I'm going to believe that. Jesus, lady. If you're going to try return fraud, wash your loving face, put on clean clothes, and don't pick two goddamn garage door openers as your product. Sigh.

Trapick fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2009 around 03:31

Elise
Jun 28, 2004

by SA Support Robot

The majority of the time, you can just walk into a store knowing what you want, drop it into your bag, and walk right out.

I've stuffed hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise from Macy's into my purse and walked out. They had magnetic strips on them, but there weren't any security guards around and not a single employee glanced at me as the alarm went off. I'm sure they deal with false alarms all the time, which is how I got away with it. I'm not going to elaborate on everything else I've stolen since my economic situation is much better, but almost getting caught shook me up pretty badly and I haven't done it since.

Elise fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2009 around 03:34

beej_55
Feb 20, 2006

Zappatista posted:

At my place of work the warehouse LOSS PREVENTION SUPERVISOR was caught sneaking cartons of cigarettes out of the warehouse. He apparently had modified his clothes to have special theft-enabling pockets and pouches and had been doing this for years.

Then again, the workplace safety supervisor fell off a forklift and walked around for 1 1/2 months with an arm in a cast.

And the less said about your radiation safety officer, the better.

What constantly amazes me is the security systems with source tags that no one actually monitors. When someone sets off the alarm, they look back to the register and some clerk is just waving them on. Always low prices!

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

When I worked at Fred Meyer in high school the loss prevention guy would catch a shoplifter during just about every shift I worked. You might get away with it but keep it up at the same place and you are bound to get caught, especially at bigger chains.

Anuv
Apr 4, 2008

by Fragmaster

Skip My Posts posted:

You might get away with it but keep it up at the same place and you are bound to get caught, especially at bigger chains.

actually you aren't. most of the black hemispheres in bigger chains have no camera inside of them. larger chain policy doesn't allow them to chase you, even in the parking lot. wal-mart no longer uses plain-clothed security/loss prevention people. you won't even get taken to the in-store security office if you steal less than $25 dollars in good.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

A guy I know used to work at Office Depot. One day someone just strolled in, grabbed a plasma HDTV, and walked out. There was nothing they could do because they are not allowed to chase or apprehend people in the store.

Then again, when I worked at a local grocery store, our Loss Prevention guy used to catch people and cuff them if he suspected them of stealing, so maybe it depends on the store.

Saxamaphone
Mar 21, 2007

Even this little fellow has Springfield's can-do spirit.

I used to work at Michael's, and there was NOTHING--no security, fake sensors, fake cameras, and the Loss Prevention was one woman who spent most of her time doing inventory. AND they used to publish an employee newsletter that detailed ways in which various Michael's employees around the country had been caught stealing. When I say "detailed" I mean they described their methods of theft and how and why it worked.

I still use art supplies I swiped off them. Once, I got one of those big plastic drawing portfolios and filled it with expensive paintbrushes and Windsor & Newton professional grade oil paint. Just paid for it and walked the gently caress out.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

When I was a teen I used to steal everything. We used to make grocery list and then go in with a backpack and load up and leave. Its all about confidence, dont look like you are stealing and nobody will be the wiser.

One thing we used to do is one person would steal something that had a security tag on it and the other person would have something in their hands that would set off the security alarm. Both walk through together and the one with the item in the hand turns around and acts dumb and hands the item back; the other person keeps walking.

I got caught stealing a box of Dayquil and ended up doing 2 weeks in jail (warrents for something else). I lost the nerve to steal after that. Everyone I knew lost the nerve to steal after getting caught. It just ruins the whole confidence thing.

Don't steal poo poo, its childish and you will get caught.

Elise
Jun 28, 2004

by SA Support Robot

SpaceBees posted:

A guy I know used to work at Office Depot. One day someone just strolled in, grabbed a plasma HDTV, and walked out. There was nothing they could do because they are not allowed to chase or apprehend people in the store.

So each employee just stared as it happened?

Jessi Bond
May 2, 2007

Daddy's girl's a fucking monster.

At my first job, we originally had two Loss Prevention Managers who did a very effective job of preventing a lot of shoplifting. For some reason, corporate decided that the lack of theft losses was indication that they could do with half the security, so they moved one of the security guys to another position and left it in the hands of one guy, who wasn't allowed to work for more than 8 hours per day ("overtime" was a forbidden word around those parts). As a result, he was unable to catch most of the thievery, and we weren't allowed to do anything or accuse anyone, so theft skyrocketed. I personally watched a kid walk out with a packet of Pokemon cards after being given the stinkeye, followed, and talked to by every single employee in the department (including me). Very maddening, but LPM wasn't there, so what could we do?

A clever trick that people had for stealing DVDs from us was to take it from our department, which we allowed, so that people could pay for everything with their groceries at the main registers if they wanted to. In our small department it was pretty hard to get away with if the LPM happened to be watching the cameras, so people would hedge their bets by taking the DVDs out to the main part of the store and hiding behind a deserted camera-less aisle to remove the discs and walk out. Customer Service was constantly bringing us baskets full of ripped-open cases. We eventually started requiring people to pay for expensive DVDs and video games at our registers, but it didn't help that much.

nospacebar
Jan 6, 2003
once banned, twice shy.

When I worked at the hospital, I shoplifted an uterus. When I got to my car, there was a baby in there. Swear to Jesus.

Moral of the story is don't steal or you might end up with a baby to throw out of a moving car.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

I used to work in a clothing store and one day some repairmen came by to look at pipes in our stockroom. They popped up one of the ceiling tiles above our staff washroom and tons of clothing poured out. It was all 2-3 seasons old so apparently one of the employees had been skimming stuff off the shipments that came in and stashing it in the ceiling, then hauling it home bit by bit.

Overkill really, one could have just stuck all of it in garbage bags, pretended it was trash and had someone waiting with a car when it came time to do garbage duty.

nospacebar
Jan 6, 2003
once banned, twice shy.

Anuv posted:

ask me questions about shoplifting. ill give you some cool tips and tricks.

How do you shoplift a baby?

Anuv
Apr 4, 2008

by Fragmaster

Elise posted:

So each employee just stared as it happened?

most bigger chains won't risk chasing/tackling a shoplifter due to the fact that a large settlement over a broken bone isn't worth some guy stealing stuff

and it's the same reason why stores are weaning security systems/jobs. paying someone 40k a year to stop teenagers stealing a 50 cent candy bar isnt profitable. same goes for big camera/tagging systems

Anuv
Apr 4, 2008

by Fragmaster

nospacebar posted:

How do you shoplift a baby?

pretend it's yours.

nospacebar
Jan 6, 2003
once banned, twice shy.

Anuv posted:

pretend it's yours.

Even if it is?