Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Hot drat. Recovery and Fill Light sliders are much, much improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Man, I bought LR3 from B+H (shipped to Aus, but they upgraded me to free UPS 2-day shipping because of the backorder thing) and then used the Upgrade purchase; I think it came out to the same price if I had just bought LR4 on it's own =\ ah well, worth it. Downloading now.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Kazy posted:

There's no promo, it's the new pricing for Lightroom. $79 upgrade, $149 full.

Yeah, it looks more like that this morning. As of last night, Adobe was still listing it as a markdown price, and I'd received an announcement from another company that it was a promotional price.

Here's something certain instead:

If you're planning on upgrading both Photoshop and Lightroom and have user group discounts, it may be worth waiting. Remember Adobe will only issue you a discount code every three months—if Photoshop remains on schedule, it should be out before you qualify to request or use another one.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Can anyone please offer me some insight on what one should to do create the kind of dreamy "washed out" look like the one seen in this photo?

I'm hoping it's something as easy as just creating a new layer and playing with the blending options.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Curves, but there may be some layer trickery to get a similar look.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
It's just a split tone: Purple shadows, yellow highlights, weigh it towards the shadows, then desat. Probably want to lower the output contrast too. Don't forget the hot girl, that always helps.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here is a quick (very) crude example of how to use curves to get that look. The most important part for the washed out look is to bring in your max shadows and highlights values, which I circled in red. You can do this in lightroom or photoshop. The coloring is done with split tone/saturation adjustments, but that doesn't create the haziness. You can use the RBG channels in curves to do the split toning as well.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Thanks guys, I appreciate the insight and instructions.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
What I do is create a curves layer, smack auto, then reverse the corresponding changes on a different curves layer.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Is there an update to Camera Raw corresponding to the changes in Lightroom 4? Because right now, an image opened as a smart object in Photoshop looks noticeably different than the original in Lightroom.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

William T. Hornaday posted:

Is there an update to Camera Raw corresponding to the changes in Lightroom 4? Because right now, an image opened as a smart object in Photoshop looks noticeably different than the original in Lightroom.

Looks like this is one of the questions in their FAQ. From what I've read you need to update to Photoshop Camera RAW 6.7 to ensure compatibility.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/faq.edu.html

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Oh, thank god. I was afraid it'd only work with like ACR 7 which in turn would require an update to CS6 or something.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
6.7 should be pushed out via Adobe Update in the near future. If you need to go back and forth right this instant, you can grab the release candidate off Adobe Labs.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Molten Llama posted:

6.7 should be pushed out via Adobe Update in the near future. If you need to go back and forth right this instant, you can grab the release candidate.

I just went looking for it and downloaded. I'll probably be updating to LR4 soon enough anyway and have been having problems with editing in CS5, I only wish I had this last week.

e: It wont let me install :( Guess I better update to LR 4 even sooner than I planned.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 6, 2012

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Well, the smart object now looks correct, but I don't have access to any of the new exposure adjustments from Lightroom 4. Lame.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Geez, the Lightroom 4 download is three times the size of Lightroom 3's. (718mb versus like around 240 mb iirc)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

Geez, the Lightroom 4 download is three times the size of Lightroom 3's. (718mb versus like around 240 mb iirc)

Mac version is like 390 megs. You Windows guys are either getting some outrageous new features we're not ( :q: ) or they're bundling the gently caress out of something in there.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Any reason to get LR4 if I primarily use Photoshop CS5? Always tempted to us new software but is there anything it can do better than Photoshop?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No. 9 posted:

Any reason to get LR4 if I primarily use Photoshop CS5? Always tempted to us new software but is there anything it can do better than Photoshop?

Organization, mainly. Small edits are really easy too, like dust removal, etc.

There's a 30 day demo so just download it and try if you're curious :)

Now my #1 gripe about LR4: It doesn't use Lion's built in fullscreen API so I can't put it in its own discrete space :|

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

No. 9 posted:

Lightroom doesn't do things better, it does things easier: It's set up so that instead of managing a million adjustment layers you have a panel of grouped sliders which makes things such as adjusting color temperature and adding split tones much much easier. You can download it from adobe and demo it to see if you like it.

amoeba
Aug 15, 2001
What the hell, Adobe? Since when does emailing a serial key to Australia instead of the US suddenly cost 75% more?

Full:
US store: US$149 == AU$140.
AU store: AU$241 == US$253.

Upgrade:
US store: US$79 == AU$75.
AU store: AU$122 == US$128.

Meanwhile, Lightroom 3 has been at a relatively sensible price of AU$145 for a few months now - we got the new price as a permanent change a while ago just before the US price 'went on sale'.

edit:
Looks like Adobe charge ~60-80% more in AUD for pretty much everything. Jerks.

amoeba fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 7, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If anyone is interested, I edited a nib in LR4 to enable Lion fullscreen mode:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58959/LR4_Fullscreen/library_window.nib

Right click Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.app -> Show Package Contents -> Contents -> Resources. Back up your existing library_window.nib and paste this one over it. Or just back up your Lightroom 4 binary itself to be safe.

I make no promises that my one tiny change won't somehow completely gently caress up your library, ruin your livelihood, and leave you a broken bitter husk of a human being. Also I followed the directions here in case you want to do this yourself because you think I did something malicious.

Also obviously Lightroom's existing fullscreen functionality (F) won't work as intended if you have this fullscreen hack on.

I just like this hack so I can put it in its own discrete fullscreen window. Don't risk your poo poo by using a hack if you don't care about that :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 7, 2012

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

amoeba posted:

What the hell, Adobe? Since when does emailing a serial key to Australia instead of the US suddenly cost 75% more?

Full:
US store: US$149 == AU$140.
AU store: AU$241 == US$253.

Upgrade:
US store: US$79 == AU$75.
AU store: AU$122 == US$128.

Meanwhile, Lightroom 3 has been at a relatively sensible price of AU$145 for a few months now - we got the new price as a permanent change a while ago just before the US price 'went on sale'.

edit:
Looks like Adobe charge ~60-80% more in AUD for pretty much everything. Jerks.

I only paid $90 for my upgrade?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Basically my library now consists of about 50+ gigs of photos. Ideally what I'd love go do is have the following setup.

External HD with iphoto/lightroom library stored on it that is connected to my wireless N network.

MBA with either iphoto or lightroom installed, import pics to MBA SSD, edit pics/upload whatever to online photo hosting(smugmug/picasa/facebook/whatever) then save the pics to the external drive removing them from MBA.

Is that possible/good setup? The external would be accessible over the net too(hooked up via USB to my wireless N router).

Also, which do you guys prefer for library management/editing iphoto or lightroom?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

teethgrinder posted:

drat thing's also extremely slow. Move a slider in LR3, see changes in real time. Move a slider in LR4, wait a few seconds for it to respond, and then more time for the changes to show up in your photo.

Maybe it's because I just installed it and it's caching or building a library in the background or something, but it's really unacceptably slow in 2012 mode.

Edit: Hrm, seems to be fine now. Must have been doing something really big in the background the first time i ran it, now it's just about as fast as LR3 was, maybe a little slower but nothing I can quantify.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 8, 2012

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

William T. Hornaday posted:

Well, the smart object now looks correct, but I don't have access to any of the new exposure adjustments from Lightroom 4. Lame.

I know this was a few posts back, but did you update the image process to (2012)?

Settings -> Update To Current Process (2012)

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Ringo R posted:

How is this uneven dark sky achieved? Polarizer on an ultra wide angle?

Both pretty much, thats what happens when a polarizer is used on an ultra wide angle

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Sevn posted:

I know this was a few posts back, but did you update the image process to (2012)?

Settings -> Update To Current Process (2012)

I've already had Lightroom do that to all my photos. It's when I try to open one of them as a smart object in Photoshop CS5 that the issue pops up. If I try to make adjustments to the image with ACR in Photoshop, I get this:

I don't have access to the new Highlights/Shadows/Whites/Blacks sliders from Lightroom 4. And converting it back to 2010 leaves me with Recovery/FillLight/Blacks/Brightness sliders instead.

I don't like incongruity.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I haven't updated to 4 yet ... figure I should finish going through my Martin Evening book with 3 hah.

This may be of interest though:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/03/what-happened-to-fill-light-and-recovery.html

quote:

What happened to Fill Light and Recovery?

Recovery and Fill Light are popular and powerful tools. However, they also have some limitations. For example, Recovery can result in muddy highlights, and Fill Light can lead to visible halos at high-contrast boundaries. Furthermore, it is difficult to transfer the technology behind these controls to local adjustments.

With Process Version 2012 in Lightroom 4, we have introduced a new set of Basic tone controls that overcomes these limitations and results in much higher image quality. For example, the Highlights and Shadows tools are optimized for very high contrast images, produce much smoother highlight and shadow gradations, are available as local adjustments, and minimize halo artifacts.

We recommend starting at the top of the Basic panel and working down through the controls. Start with the Exposure and Contrast controls to set the overall desired image brightness and contrast. Proceed to the Highlight and Shadow controls, using them to establish the relationship of the highlights and shadows in your image to the midtones. If needed, fine-tune your image’s tonal end points using the Blacks and Whites sliders. Note that Exposure, Contrast, Highlights, and Shadows are also available as local adjustments.

There is a bit of a relearning process, but once you have become used to the new controls we think that you’ll love them. Of course, you still have access to Fill Light and Recovery if you so choose by changing the Process Version to PV2010 in the Camera Calibration panel on the bottom right hand side.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

LR3 was on sale for about a week, for 150 euros (half price). There is a 30 days return period (not even sure if it applies to the digital download version though). About 34 days after the sale ends, they announce LR4 full version, for 135.

But I can upgrade for about 75. Thanks. I knew LR4 was coming, and wasn't bothered. Thought I'd maybe spring for the upgrade (thinking I'd still be getting some sort of deal). Well poo poo...

Damnit, I was hoping I was eligible for the free upgrade, so applied. I bought March 2. Customer service closed my case. I would have had to buy March 6 or later to qualify.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Presumably my question has been asked and answered before, but I can't figure out how to phrase a search query.

I bought a new computer, partly to speed up Lightroom (OK, mostly to play games). I installed Lightroom 3.2 on the new beast, and immediately on start-up it asked to update to 3.6, so I did that. The old computer was running 3.3.
I exported the catalogue (33 000 photos) from the old computer, and opened that catalogue in LR3.6 on the new computer; so far, so good. All of the folders are unlocated, of course.
All of the pictures are on a couple of external harddrives. Sooner or later I plan to sort that out, but for now I'm happy leaving the files where they are. Lightroom will let me locate each folder individually, which is slow and tedious because my folder structure on the external drive is foolishly complicated - my photos are spread across a couple of hundred folders. Nothing has changed about the files or where they're located and how they're organized, I want to just point LR at the relevant near-root folders ("Pictures from Pentax K10D", "Blog", "Norway 2010" etc.) and say "go".

Is there a way to mass-relocate folders in LR 3.6? Adobe help isn't very helpful.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

I haven't updated to 4 yet ... figure I should finish going through my Martin Evening book with 3 hah.

This may be of interest though:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/03/what-happened-to-fill-light-and-recovery.html

The new controls really are miles better. Having adjustment brushes for everything is just icing on the cake.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
Is anyone using the iPhoto iPad app, and how do you get it playing nicely with Lightroom?

Thought it'd be nice to play with photos on the move but it maintaining your LR collection.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
So, I don't know which one of these looks better anymore and, uh, it'd be good to get an opinion? What do you guys think (bearing in mind that either one will probably get more finessing before I do anything with it)?

(Cross-posted to the snapshot a day thread)

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
How does Lightroom 4 perform on slower computers? (2010 Core2 Duo iMac)

I've read conflicting reports, so can anyone comment after a few days' use?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It performs slower on everything from my experiences. It takes a second or more to show even slight changes, like increasing exposure by 1/3rd. It's pretty annoying, but images look so good in it I suffer through it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mathturbator posted:

How does Lightroom 4 perform on slower computers? (2010 Core2 Duo iMac)

I've read conflicting reports, so can anyone comment after a few days' use?

I posted a bit above. Right after I installed it, it was unacceptably slow, with slider changes not showing up until probably one or two seconds after I stopped moving the slider. But the next day and since then, it's been fine, maybe *slightly* slower than LR3 but nothing I could really put a number too.

Something odd just happened, though, and I've never seen it before. Here's a shot I took the other evening, pretty much directly out of the camera (I shoot in RAW, so this is just a JPEG conversion in LR with no sharpening or any other adjustments. And yeah, I need to clean my lens):

Here's it, post-processed, you can click through for original size:

DSC_6699 by Phanatic, on Flickr

Where the hell did that blotchiness in the sky come from? If I crank the luminance in the sky down, it becomes more and more apparent. What did I do to make that happen?

Edit: It's definitely not a JPEG quality issue, since that's set to 100.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 14, 2012

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Phanatic posted:

Where the hell did that blotchiness in the sky come from? If I crank the luminance in the sky down, it becomes more and more apparent. What did I do to make that happen?

It looks like JPEG compression artifacts to me. Try upping the JPEG quality factor or use a less lossy format.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I have seen those artifacts come out of a sky in Lightroom occasionally, usually it's because of a scene with extreme DR where the exposure was compromised one way or the other and I tried to curves/exposure the poo poo out of it. It looks like bad noise reduction and jpeg hell put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Warning, 5MB JPG

We did some shots in the office a couple of days ago but we didn't have a proper background set up, assuming it wouldn't be too hard to "fix it in post". The other people were pretty easy as they had nice, neat hair - but this girl has stray hairs everywhere and I'm finding it impossible to separate her from the background. We're trying to get a completely white background.

I've tried following this tutorial and this one but apparently am too incompetent to do that properly. And everything I do comes out looking like poo poo.
Can anyone help?

psylent fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 15, 2012

• Locked thread