Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Hey, I have a question. I recently posted this picture in the PAD thread and one poster to make the ant "pop" more in post processing.

ant on the edge by arnesander, on Flickr

But how exactly do I do that? I have LR but I haven't done any post processing this specific yet. My schools computers also have Photoshop if that is better suited for this. I really have no idea how to do this :shobon:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Popelmon posted:

Hey, I have a question. I recently posted this picture in the PAD thread and one poster to make the ant "pop" more in post processing.

ant on the edge by arnesander, on Flickr

But how exactly do I do that? I have LR but I haven't done any post processing this specific yet. My schools computers also have Photoshop if that is better suited for this. I really have no idea how to do this :shobon:.

I'm nowhere near as experienced as most goons here so I could be wrong or there may be other/better ways to do this, but my first thought would be DOF (depth of field). Essentially somewhat blurring the piece of wood that is the background which sharpens the ant by contrast. That way the viewer should be able to see that the ant is the subject of the photograph.

That said, I've no idea how to do that in POST-processing or if it's even possible. Usually you change your aperture settings when taking a photograph if you want depth of field, but since you can't do that in post-processing, there is either a different way of making it happen in post-processing that I am unaware of, or there's some different way of doing it altogether. I guess you could blur manually around it in an aperture shape.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Try clicking the little circle widget on the luminance panel, then clicking and dragging upward on a part of the ant. What that tool does is only adjust the luminance of the color(s) that the cursor is on. It might work since the ant does appear to have some color in it that the wood doesn't, so the luminance adjustment would hopefully affect only the ant. Combine that with dropping the highlights to darken the top half of the wood, and that should make the ant stand out more. If that doesn't work, you'd probably have to fall back on using the adjustment brush to selectively dodge and burn.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

When people say they want things to "pop," the implication is that you need to increase contrast. Unfortunately, with that image, there's not much stuff to increase contrast between, since the ant shares most of its color and tone with the background it's on. You might be able to salvage something from it, but ideally, you would compose the picture with the ant on a more contrasting background to start with. The top of the board in your picture would have been great.

That said, some selection with quick masking and some ham-handed adjustment with a saturation adjustment layer produced this:

I'm not saying this is artistically awesome or anything, but since all we have to work with is the color in the ant, increasing the saturation increased its apparent contrast with the wood in the background. It should appear to "pop" more.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Contrast isn't the only way to make something pop. You can also make it pop by focusing in the light of the image on a single point or by making one color more prominent or an area more colorful like TheJeffers did. vignettes exist.

The problem is less that the ant isn't standing out and more that the wood is standing out too much. The texture of the wood is way more prominent and eye-catching than the ant. I think popping the color of the ant was a good solution, but I think you can just make the ant stand out more without messing with the color of it. Here's my attempt. Side by side because if you just scroll between them it doesn't look different at all.

I added a vignette. Then I used the blur tool to make the wood grain a little less prominent. Then I tweaked the contrast. Then I dodge the ant a little. Then I added a high pass filter and masked it so it only covered the ant. It's still difficult just by virtue of the ant being a small complex object with a bunch of lines against another object with a bunch of lines. I think next time wait for the ant to crawl onto the lighter top surface where it would stand out more naturally.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Thanks guys! This has really helped me a lot.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes
Created this - figured it was appropriate here. It includes everything besides the crop

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Are you masking in a black solid color layer for all the stuff in the bottom right, or is it an exposure layer?

And a question for anyone who might be able to answer it: is there an easy way to save adjustment layers in Photoshop? I usually use the same burn, dodge, curves, etc. layers and settings for most of my photos and I'd love it if I didn't have to make them all from scratch each time; where I can just simply import all the adjustment layers and all I have left to do is play around with the masking.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

William T. Hornaday posted:

And a question for anyone who might be able to answer it: is there an easy way to save adjustment layers in Photoshop? I usually use the same burn, dodge, curves, etc. layers and settings for most of my photos and I'd love it if I didn't have to make them all from scratch each time; where I can just simply import all the adjustment layers and all I have left to do is play around with the masking.

You could always record some actions for creating those adjustment layers, then simply press play

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Are you masking in a black solid color layer for all the stuff in the bottom right, or is it an exposure layer?

you could make a .psd with them in it and drag them over to your current .psd

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I fumbled around with actions and managed to make something that'll probably work. Thanks.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

Black solid color layer for that stuff - everything else was curves.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

sw1gger posted:

Created this - figured it was appropriate here. It includes everything besides the crop

That's really cool, please do more

Are the "leaves" just a brush?

Also did you have that as the final product in mind when you shot it or did you just make it up as you went along in post?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -