Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

prukinski posted:

So, I don't know which one of these looks better anymore and, uh, it'd be good to get an opinion? What do you guys think (bearing in mind that either one will probably get more finessing before I do anything with it)?

(Cross-posted to the snapshot a day thread)

Bottom one for sure. The top one everything is the same tint and blends together, where as the bottom there is a nice contrast between the land and sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

psylent posted:

Can anyone help?

http://www.topazlabs.com/remask/

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Bloody hell, if that works as well as advertised I'll be pretty happy.

I might need more of this kind of work done in the future and to be honest, I don't really the time to do it. Does anyone here outsource this kind of work? If so, who do you use?

the hodag
Jan 15, 2007

Rawrzadoodle
I need to get my monitor calibrated and am wondering what calibration tools folks use. I've been looking at the Spyder (not sure which version though) and the X-Rite i1Display 2. Is there much of a difference between the two?

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

psylent posted:

Bloody hell, if that works as well as advertised I'll be pretty happy.

Let me put it this way: http://www.topazlabs.com/trials/index.php?d=remask

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Lightroom 4 is acting weird here. I can't crop to certain dimensions, because it will always interpret the aspect as vertical (i.e. 10x3 is vertical, as is 3x10).

What's worse is that it randomly imports JPEGs rather than RAW files. I shoot exclusively RAW, but every other picture imported will be a JPEG. WTF?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
If it's like LR3, the aspect ratio always starts out matching the orientation of the photo. If you set your ratio, then take a corner of the crop box, make it tiny, then enlarge it in the other direction it should snap into the other orientation. I don't know why they did it like that; it's not intuitive and took me forever to figure out.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Evilkiksass posted:

Let me put it this way: http://www.topazlabs.com/trials/index.php?d=remask
Yep, I grabbed and tried the trial. Sadly it was a case of poo poo in, poo poo out. I couldn't get it looking even remotely good with a white background, black worked well enough though.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Adobe Photoshop CS6 is out in public beta form, if you're interested in trying it out. It appears to be good for 60 days.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs6/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do you guys still use third party plugins to upload to Flickr from Lightroom or do you just use the built in export service?

I'm trying to figure out which I should be using. In LR3 I still used the plugin (mainly because I forgot the built in service even existed).

I just tried the LR4 built in one and it seemed to do the trick. The only downside is that I don't seem to have much control with regards to what EXIF it publishes? Can I still attach something like the Metadata Wrangler plugin to the built in exporter?

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

I use Jeffrey Friedl's Flickr Plugin and find it's got enough options to keep my happy. I am far from a power user, but it may be worth a try to see if it's what you're after. It can't hurt, with a free trial and then a 'pay what you want' registration fee.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Danoss posted:

I use Jeffrey Friedl's Flickr Plugin and find it's got enough options to keep my happy. I am far from a power user, but it may be worth a try to see if it's what you're after. It can't hurt, with a free trial and then a 'pay what you want' registration fee.

Will this give you an option to not download Flickr comments? Because I can't figure out how to turn that off with the LR3 plugin.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Rot posted:

Will this give you an option to not download Flickr comments? Because I can't figure out how to turn that off with the LR3 plugin.

Um, I think so. I never came across Flickr comments in any form when I was using it in LR3, and I just upgraded to LR4 yesterday.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, that particular flickr plugin was what I used all the time, I just didn't know if there was any real advantage to still using it over the built in one. I mean I publish so infrequently that to be honest it was annoying because the "trial" would expire between publishes :q:

So I dunno, I'll use the built in one until I run into some limitation I guess :)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
It may be something they're doing wrong, but I've seen people complain about the LR built-in Flickr publish service deleting their pictures when the pictures aren't in their catalog anymore (because of hard drive crash, file got moved, whatever).

I use Jeffrey Friedl's plugin. It's worth a donation.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
is there any way to make a line on the outside of a selection? i have a purple shape selected and i'd like to put a white border a few pixels wide around it. it's complex enough that i couldn't replicate it scale it up change the color and put it on the layer behind, which would be my usual workaround if it were just a circle or something

e: never mind i forgot that stroke was under blending options

Genderfluid fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 26, 2012

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
How is LR4 working out for everyone? It seemed when it was first released people were having a few issues with it. I'm thinking about picking it up, but wanted to see if I should wait for the first update before switching from LR3.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The first update came out today as a release candidate heh

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Falco posted:

How is LR4 working out for everyone? It seemed when it was first released people were having a few issues with it. I'm thinking about picking it up, but wanted to see if I should wait for the first update before switching from LR3.

Everything is better but performance (even slight changes like 1/3rd exposure can take a second to process). Much better controls (color temp adjustment brushes thank lord Adobe) and engine, just sluggish.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Falco posted:

It performs better than LR3 on my Mac. Only module changes are sometimes sluggish, everything else is smooth and speedy.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Falco posted:

Even if it were a worse performer, I have no regrets in upgrading-- The ability to white balance by painting with a brush is amazingly useful for tricky mixed lighting. As well as all the other new brush adjustments.

So good.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

prukinski posted:

So, I don't know which one of these looks better anymore and, uh, it'd be good to get an opinion? What do you guys think (bearing in mind that either one will probably get more finessing before I do anything with it)?

(Cross-posted to the snapshot a day thread)

I wholeheartedly agree with mr. mephistopheles and his opinion on the second picture.

I'm actually looking for some critique/pointers on how I handled this picture I took a few days ago:

Descanso-Gardens-30-32 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

original:

30-32-unedited by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get close to this look? Sorry I don't have a bigger version.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
You want to know how to underexpose a photo?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Thoogsby posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get close to this look? Sorry I don't have a bigger version.

To me it looks underexposed and a bit of work done to the curves. Something like highlights dropped down and the shadows pumped up. Maybe even a bit of split toning thrown in for good measure.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Falco posted:

To me it looks underexposed and a bit of work done to the curves. Something like highlights dropped down and the shadows pumped up. Maybe even a bit of split toning thrown in for good measure.

Thanks! I realize it's underexposed, but for some reason that doesn't seem to bother me when it works in the photo. Looks like the person was pretty liberal with the clarity slider too.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
In Lightroom 3, is it possible to print a single photo so that it spreads over two A4 portrait pages? I can add two pages, but can't get a photo to stretch over the two of them.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
So in Lightroom 4 did Adobe just say 'gently caress it' and made the clarity slider produce output 10 times more ridiculous than it used to be in previous version?

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

neckbeard posted:

So in Lightroom 4 did Adobe just say 'gently caress it' and made the clarity slider produce output 10 times more ridiculous than it used to be in previous version?
Yes. Although I'm sure it's a different algorithm to produce it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I know someone else has posted about this before, but Instagram just came out for Android this week.

Before my friends might have occasionally noticed my photos and complimented me on one. Boy do people ever love Instagram poo poo! "Wow, you're getting so good!" :cry:

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Is there a way to disable Aperture including the file name as a caption when uploading photos to Facebook?

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Eight Is Legend posted:

Is there a way to disable Aperture including the file name as a caption when uploading photos to Facebook?

This isn't Aperture. It is Facebook doing it. The trick I have found for Lightroom at least is to place information into the Details and Copyright EXIF fields. Then those values are used instead.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Eight Is Legend posted:

You just have to stop giving pictures file names that reflect what you think of the people in them. No more bigfatidiot.jpg.

Or do what Evilkiksas suggests-- if you just make a blanket caption for a given event that you import (along with blanket keywords) you will solve this problem and wind up with more detail on your images.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm looking for an OSX specific app that might or might not exist. The app in question should have / would be able to:

- Ingest a folder of images and let me assign metadata tags to each one
- Incrementally look through the folder on subsequent load and show me images which have NO tags
- Have no actual photo editing features whatsoever
- Have the ability to show me all available metadata tags so I can quickly and easily pull up a list of images I want to see. Possibly export those somewhere but that's not a necessary feature.

I need this for a non-photography reason, but in my mind I can see this being something that photo journalists might use to organize large shoots? Or maybe people who do a lot of stock photography?

I suppose if it comes down to it I can use Lightroom, but that seems way overkill for what I need it for, and I'm not sure off the top of my head whether Lightroom can filter by images with no user-added metadata.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm not sure it's all that useful to you but if you're command-line savvy you could probably set up a couple commands to do that via imagemagick, grep, etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I'd like to give students the ability to tag their own new images so that's not really what I'm looking for even if it IS a good idea, but someone in the Mac thread recommended Leap which is a $20 app that seems to do exactly what I'm looking for.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I suppose if it comes down to it I can use Lightroom, but that seems way overkill for what I need it for, and I'm not sure off the top of my head whether Lightroom can filter by images with no user-added metadata.
It can filter images without tags if that's what you mean

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
why is LR4 so much more CPU intensive than LR3?? this is annoying me...

edit: i too am on an i5 with 8GB RAM, had no issues with LR3, but some sliders cause delay/lag to the entire system.

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 18, 2012

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
No kidding, LR4 also crashes routinely where LR3 ran fine.

The sometimes multi-second delays when moving sliders is also really annoying and makes it feel unstable.
This is on a modern i5-2500 desktop, but the exact same issues on my i5-560M laptop, I think it's leaking memory too.

Anyone who tried the 4.1 RC know if it's improved performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I'm running the first release version of LR4 and have edited around 600~ photos and not run into multi second delays or excessive slowdowns. Using the mac build, if it matters (i5, 256gb SSD, 4gb ram)

• Locked thread