Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

I'm looking to buy a book which will take me through advanced image retouching for portraits.
Specifically I'd like to learn how to retouch skin. At the moment I'm trying to get my head around using curves layers to dodge and burn tiny tiny details away at 400% I feel there must be better ways without resorting to blur filters.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

nonanone posted:

Don't have a book to recommend, but with skin, just patch tool+careful application of masked blur filters works wonders for me. I've done a small writeup of my own process here if you're interested: http://winniejeng.com/blog/2010/12/editing-skin-in-photographs/

Cheers, I'll give it a read.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

I was wondering if I could have some opinions on the post processing that went into this editorial, specifically the colours.
http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/lily-donaldson-pale-beauty-numero-134-ben-hassett/

I realize a lot of the look is achieved with makeup and styling, and this is being complimented by the post work but I'd like to try and understand what more went into it, if you think much did.

I'm thinking some de-saturation and lightening in appropriate areas but I don't know if that's an oversimplification.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

there's a million ways to do anything with post. Masking sections, playing with opacity etc.

Sometimes it might be as simple as just masking a section of skin, including a bw layer and then adjusting the opacity for the desired lightness while in concert use a curves layer to manipulate contrast.

it's sort of the thing you figure out yourself in photoshop. I have certain ways of doing things that have evolved from mistakes or experimentation into my regular workflow.

Aye, I've been having a bit of a play around with various adjustments, masks and blending modes. Trying to increase my creative PS skills as it's something I've never been particularly top at but I'm using it for less creative stuff a lot at work now.

So I figured starting to try and replicate looks would be a good place to start.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

rear end is my canvas posted:

If you are trying to duplicate the skin (though it is most likely a make-up effect), you can try stacking a selective color layer and and tug and pull the red and yellows. Stack an additional selective color layer and do the same but set this one to a luminosity blend.

Cheers, I'll have a play with that.

I think it's probs a mix of makeup and post but It's a nice exercise to see how far I can get just with post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

CarrotFlowers posted:

Scott Kelby's book Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques for Photographers using Photoshop runs through something that looks fairly similar for desaturating and blending the skin tones. Though I've never gone for that look, the book is really handy if you do a lot of portrait work.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out! Portraits are mostly what I'm interested in for my personal work.

• Locked thread