Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

johnasavoia posted:

One of my favorite shots recently and one that a couple people commented on here and elsewhere. This is generally how I process all my shots as well. (RAW metadata is great, all I had to to was save a copy at each stage from the original development that Lightroom had saved)

Here is the original file straight into LR.

Gee that place in the background looks awfully familiar. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Jahoodie posted:

I'm really excited for this thread because my post-fu is non-existent.

But can we restart it later and turn this into a Friendship Waffle call out thread? Just a couple pictures, alittle about what you like to shoot... I like posts asking to post work are ignored whilst writing 500 word response to color management.

It's never going to happen- I asked months ago for some shots but I think his eyes glazed over and only reads that which applies to technical detail.

Remember folks- there are photographers that are "technically" perfect but that doesn't mean their pictures are good. All this talk about color management is way over my head though- I'll leave that to brad and waffle to duke it out.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Bridge is decent when you're shooting tethered to the computer- I use it to view my photos after every shot and use ACR to look at the histogram. Once I'm done, everything goes to Lightroom to be cataloged and probably never opened again. :v:

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

brad industry posted:

Bridge is awful for shooting tethered compared to basically anything else (ie Capture One).

There is nothing in Bridge that other software doesn't do better. The only reason it still exists is because a ton of people are stubborn and still use it as a part of their crappy workflows.

I mean Bridge is loads better than the proprietary software, and while yes that is obvious I've assisted 2 photographers who refused to use anything else. Haven't used Capture One so I'm :confused: when it comes to that.

What do you mean Mannequin?

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Oh. I use Canon's software to control the taking of photos and I'll admit, it's somewhat clumsy although nowhere as lovely when it comes to UI as Nikon's "Camera Control Pro 2" or whatever it is.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
To add to the list of keyboard shortcuts for PS:

c => crop tool
[ => changes the brush size, in this case smaller
] => changes the brush size, in this case larger
Ctrl or command + 0 => fits image to screen
Ctrl or command + + => zooms into the image
Ctrl or command - => zooms out of the image
command alt i => image size

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Jerry Uelsman used multiple enlargers. In addition to being really meticulous I think you need to find subjects that go very well together in the form of a perfect mind gently caress- his process was as cerebral as it was a show off of technical perfection.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
I think Photoshop would be your best alternative to Photomatix although to be honest, for what it does, $99 is a pretty decent price to pay.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

cLin posted:

Anyone have tips on reading histograms? I have a bit of colorblindness so even the slightest offset that someone spots wouldn't be noticeable for me. I'm just trying to see if there's another way to figure colors out for my photographs.

Histograms really aren't about color (though there are separate color channels- RGB- that show you where they fall) but more about exposure. There is no "right" or "wrong" histogram- ideally you want to expose as much as you can to the right before your highlights become blown out. That said, what you're photographing is the biggest variable and therefore you don't always want/need a histogram that has information as far to the right as possible.

Unfortunately I don't know of any way to help you out with color blindness. The word "red" is just a word, while any numerical value is worthless if you have no idea what the color actually looks like.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Pretty good. I skimmed over it and I didn't see any horrible outlandish statements like you would most likely find on Ken Rockwell's site. I feel they didn't emphasize this enough though- histograms are completely subjective to what you're shooting. After I got my first lesson on histograms I ran out and tried to get everything as close to the right as possible but when it came to night photography or darker scenes this really kind of screwed me over. Basically, use some common sense to interpret the histogram. It's a great tool when it is used in conjunction with the photographer's knowledge.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Good Sir posted:

What sort of places would you recommend? Is Wal-Mart any good?
Please tell me that was trolling. Please.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
^^^
I'm too slow.

Ever thought of sending your prints away to be printed? It is kind of a pain in transit as sometimes prints come damaged but that's a risk I'd rather take than having to deal with lovely local places.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

SirRobin posted:

if you're not shooting raw, do me a favour and slap yourself across the face a few times).

I guess all the photojournalists here should slap themselves in the face. :)

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Are you doing this to a JPEG? Hopefully you have a RAW file?

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Ruin images? What??? Explain please.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Overall it's way too cool. I see too much cyan. Any chance you were shooting on AWB?

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Probably to make some kind of point like "ha, you spend hours on one photograph when I can just let the computah do it for me!" :v: Either it's a really good troll or he's just really clueless.

Edit: has to be clueless after rereading that part about doing it right in camera. That's what the grey card is for, buddy. Hell, even those little sun, cloud icons are better than just shooting in AWB. Plus the fact that his eyes can't pick up on the cool color temperature.

Yeah, seems to be the cool thing these days. Oh well.
VVVV

germskr fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 22, 2009

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
The problem with the histogram though is it really doesn't say "this point is that object and that point is this object," so it's all kind of subjective on the scene you are shooting. It works well in a studio setting where you have absolute control of the lights but outdoors or with mixed lighting forget it. Also, there is no "right" histogram so again it's all subjective.

Edit: beaten.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

brad industry posted:

RA-4 printing is the reason I switched to digital. I hate that poo poo. And of course, the only other thing that approaches that level of tedium and frustration is scanning negatives. I will take the worst RAW processor over having to constantly walk back and forth from an enlarger to a processor any day.

You forgot to mention the lovely wait time of 5 minutes to see whether the print came out correctly or not.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Pantone Huey Pro is worth the extra buck. The normal Huey doesn't give you as many options and therefore is inferior especially when it comes to viewing darks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Martytoof posted:

I think Adobe's DNG converter is free (http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/), but since I already have CS4 and Lightroom installed I don't know if those provide some sort of basic ACR functionality that is required.

If we all converted our submissions to DNG, would that be an acceptable solution perhaps?

Yes.

• Locked thread