Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toupee
Feb 6, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump

friendship waffle posted:

yeah, I shoot in JPEG, always run them through RAW converter, rockin' it like ren rockwell

here's how to make a massive vignette guys, I know it's hard work but that kind of post processing really pays off when you're a bigshot like me

oh yeah, horrible HDR clouds is the poo poo on portraits! it works even better if you have the subject looking off into space at the edge of the frame, with lots of negative space behind her! what's that? you say I shouldn't crop edges off people's legs? nah, the rules of composition don't apply to true masterminds.

Well I thought it looked nice, mister grumpy pants <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toupee
Feb 6, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump
Thanks for that Kefka. But, if I'm in a bit more of a hurry / I'm feeling lazy -- could someone go through some of the sharpening stuff within lightroom? Specifically how much sharpening / detail is 'enough' (I generally have a hard time telling its even doing much a lot of the time). Also, could someone do a write up on the chromatic aberration correction sliders and the edging?

Toupee
Feb 6, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump
Stolen from here

:siren: :words: :siren:

quote:

Blending Modes

Normal
This blend mode has no effect on the layer below it.

Dissolve
This blend mode randomly selects pixels that make up the top layer image and sets their opacity to zero. Adjusting the opacity level of the entire layer will change the appearance of the dissolve effect. In the example, the opacity of the butterfly layer is set at 75%.
NOTE: When the opacity of the top layer is set at 100% for this blend mode, there is no dissolve. The opacity needs to be less than 100%.

Darken
This blend mode looks at the pixels of both the top and bottom layers and "projects" the darker color on the bottom layer to "come through" the lighter color on the top layer. In the example below, notice how the darker colors of the clothing show through the butterfly, but the detail of the lighter buildings in the background does not.

Multiply
This blend mode multiplies the color intensity of the top layer with the bottom layer. This produces darker colors within the composite image, giving the blend more contrast.

Color Burn
This blend mode brightens the light pixels of the top layer and darkens the dark pixels of the top and bottom layers.

Linear Burn
This blend mode uses channels (i.e., colors) to determine the degree of darkness for each pixel in the top layer. Channel information for each color is used and the darkest color's intensity is increased by a certain degree.
NOTE: Channels contain color information in each pixel. For example, RGB color mode has four channels: RGB, Red, Green, and Blue.

Lighten
This blend mode lightens the composite image by comparing the pixels in the top and bottom layers: the pixel that is the lightest is the one that is shown. Therefore all dark colors are replaced with the lighter color. In the example, notice how the butterfly almost disappears, since the background pixels were almost all lighter than the butterfly's pixels.

Screen
This blend mode is used for highlighting. It lightens all colors on the top layer by decreasing its opacity. The dark colors are not lightened as dramatically as the light colors are.

Overlay
This blend mode blends the two layers together by changing the opacity, darkness, and lightness of the top layer.

Color Dodge
This blend mode brightens all of the colors of the top layer and then blends the two layers together. No changes are made to black.

Linear Dodge
This blend mode brightens the color on the bottom layer using the channel information of the top layer colors to increase the brightness of the colors on the top layer. The bright colors show up on black, unlike in the Color Dodge blend mode.

Soft Light
This blend mode lightens or darkens the image depending on the color of the top layer: if the top layer's pixel is dark, then the bottom layer's pixel is darkened; if the top layer's pixel is light, then the bottom layer's pixel is lightened.

Hard Light
This blend mode combines two other blend modes. If a pixel of the bottom layer is darker than midgray (50% gray), then the Multiply mode is applied to that pixel. If a pixel is lighter than midgray, then the Screen mode is applied to that pixel.

Vivid Light
This blend mode specifically dodges or burns the colors on the bottom layer. If the top color is darker or lighter than midgray, contrast in the bottom layer will increase or decrease.

Linear Light
This blend mode adjusts the brightness of the bottom layer depending on whether the top layer is darker or lighter than midgray. If it is lighter than midgray, it is brightened; if it is darker, there is no change.

Pin Light
This blend mode replaces the colors on the bottom layer if they are lighter than the blend color.

Hard Mix
This blend mode is a combination of the Vivid Light mode and a posterization effect (i.e., where the image appears more pixelated). It will posterize the bottom layer pixels through the blend layer and recolor the image using the specifications of the Vivid Light mode. A higher Fill Opacity on the top layer will increase the posterization effect on the image. In the example, the Fill Opacity is set at 100%.

Hue
This blend mode uses the hue of the top layer color and the saturation and luminance of the bottom layer to create the composite image.

Saturation
This blend mode uses the saturation of the top layer color and the luminance and hue of the bottom layer.

Color
This blend mode uses the luminance of the top layer color and the saturation and hue of the bottom layer.

Luminosity
This blend mode uses only the luminance of the top layer color and ignores the hue and saturation values of the bottom layer.

Toupee
Feb 6, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump
Not sure how much you guys use presets for Lightroom, or how accurate these are to what they claim to emulate, but I stumbled upon three fairly sizable collections of film presets all done by the same guy.

Have a look.

http://www.presetsheaven.com/2008/10/27/34-free-black-white-film-presets-for-lightroom/

http://www.presetsheaven.com/2008/12/13/12-black-white-film-emulation-presets-for-kodak-bw-films/

http://www.presetsheaven.com/2008/11/04/18-free-color-print-film-emulation-lightroom-presets/

Toupee
Feb 6, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump

Free Broken Glass! posted:

Not sure if this is the right place, but(t) gently caress it, here we go;

I took a picture that I want to use for an avatar and would like it to be an animated gif. How can I animate it? I've heard photoshop can make gifs but I have no idea how to do this.

Basically I want to take the picture and have it flash inverted colors and flip left and right. Or maybe spin around or zoom in and out. Really, anything you guys can tell me on how to animate my pictures would help.

http://tinyurl.com/l3ldt6

Toupee
Feb 6, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump
I have to say, I think you take your warming way too far.

Other than that, these are nice, as I'm too lazy to lookup keyboard shortcuts for stuff. I'm curious why you don't just make an action for vignetting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toupee
Feb 6, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump

brad industry posted:

Probably my favorite thing about LR is the H/S/L tool. The ridiculous amount of control you get over your color is awesome. Especially since they added the "click and drag a color" to change it thingie (I forgot what that's called, it rules) which also works with the Curves dialog.

I know some people who refused to shoot digital because they felt the color palette of film was really important to them, and they couldn't replicate it digitally well enough until Lightroom came out because Ps takes a more heavy handed approach and Camera Raw isn't intuitive enough to make really subtle changes.

I'm probably using them "wrong", but I like using the Calibration sliders too. I tend to use those, then fine-tune with the HSL if anything else needs changed.

• Locked thread