Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Does someone make a Lightroom plugin that repairs known lens distortions, so you could for example correct a whole bunch of pictures shot at different apertures and lengths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I can't imagine using Lightroom without the keyboard now. Spend the 10 minutes learning them, it'll save you hours upon hours in the long run.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah setting your white balance under a bunch of colored spotlights isn't the brightest of ideas.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

He shoots Vivid +3 jpegs and calls the results fabulous. If that doesn't tell you anything...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sometimes I wish I didn't need a CS4 PhD to feel comfortable around photoshop.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's little point to putting a digital painting on modelmayhem.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

evensevenone posted:

I'm basically deciding between a e8400 (3.0 ghz, dual core, 64bit) windows machine and just getting a new mac mini (2 ghz intel, dual core, 64bit).
Pretty sure the mini uses laptop drives, so IO (lack of) perf will destroy whatever compiler advantage you might get. Plus for the money you could get a k-rad scratch drive.

FunkyJunk posted:

The "apple tax" is worth it at twice the price IMO.
That's 100% OS usability which is 50% personal preference and 200% irrelevant since you'll be using full screen LR2.
If you get a machine with no hardware quirks Vista is quite decent, and 7 is just sweet.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 4, 2009

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

KennyG posted:

I would take a stab at it but after friendship waffles war a month ago, I would rather leave it to someone who knows exactly what they are doing.
He suddenly disappeared when challenged to show his own work didn't he? Fire away!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And if you want to move stuff you just add the target directory and move it with LR.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eh, do you not have a less terrible picture of that kid?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Alright not even a higher res version?
Edit: half-stop graduated filter to her left and a bit of vignette is all I can think of.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 15, 2009

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The sky can look however you feel like :mad:
In your last picture you can desaturate the blue channel a wee bit and it'll look more like what you expected.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lookie here :)

germskr posted:

Overall it's way too cool. I see too much cyan. Any chance you were shooting on AWB?
It's OK mang we'll just autofix it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Exactly, the thing that no automation is ever going to grasp is intent.

Aside from that, there's only 2 ways to get WB right: calibrate the camera (if you can) using a grey card, or reference a grey card in post.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Is there any way to see the EV comp and Flash EV comp EXIF from Nikon RAWs in Lightroom2?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's no point converting to DNG, especially if it's not lossless.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

gib posted:

I'm pretty sure DNG is lossless... but why bother? Canon's raw files will continue to be supported as long as DNG, and DNG files aren't much smaller than CR2s.
That, and you can't go back if you ever want to switch away from Adobe.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Warm it up a tad.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just adjusted WB and toned down the topleft corner.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

multigl posted:

Thanks for the feedback, I hadn't even considered the other corner.
And all it cost you is your D700! Will PM address.

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone else agree on the tree or am I just being weird?
If you crop you lose the top right flowers, so no.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah that'd work, but it's a pretty significant loss of resolution.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Alctel posted:

Why do people use Photoshop as well as Lightroom? Is it because it has a bunch more features than LR? What are the main advantages?
It's a lot more flexible. Lightroom's just faster for 80% of the stuff you'd want to do to pictures.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I've started using the second lightroom window in Lightroom a while ago and it's ridiculously useful, especially in Live mode. Any change you make is reflected there in full screen, and if you mouse-over the film strip, it'll show whatever's under your cursor, which is about the fastest way I've found to choose picks/selects out of a Whole bunch of raws.
So if you use LR2, try a second display if you don't have one yet.

pwn posted:

Since then I double backup to two external hard drives. Even if you choose the less-extreme methods of using one, you should consider buying an external hard drive for storing your photos.
Hard drives are not backups, just copies. They're especially useless if you leave them plugged in (so a surge or blown PSU will take both of them out at the same time).
Write whatever you don't want to lose to DVD, and store it somewhere safe, not on top of your desk. The rule of thum is that you always, always want to digital copies of whatever you care about. Ideally you either do live replication to an offsite system (PLUS normal backups, because if you delete stuff that'll get deleted on the remote host too), or you bring DVD's/tapes semi-regularly to someone you trust.
It's just ridiculous to shoot digital and still have a something like a house fire or a flood wipe out your archive.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 12, 2009

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pwn posted:

What?
Unless you use dedicated software, the big problem with people making hard drive "backups" is the complete lack of versioning.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It'd be really interesting to watch (PP is one of the many things I suck at), especially if people are going to lay out the process for their entries.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

brad industry posted:

What's the point of doing this if people aren't going to process it to their taste/style? Just post a file and let people do whatever they want with it and have everyone post their steps.
This would be the best IMHO.

Splinter posted:

Does 64-bit Photoshop have any advantages over 32-bit for photography related work? I've read that 64-bit is significantly faster when working with very large files, but I don't think a typical photograph gets anywhere near that large, even with many layers.
Theoretically, any workload larger than your cache size is going to get sped up.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 7, 2009

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

Oh and when are we doing this and did we decide how to get the raw files on here?

evensevenone volunteered to collect the RAWs and make a thread.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

Theoretically, couldn't you use something like SmugMug or Flickr as your backup? Upload everything and then make it private.
Smugmug offers RAW backup, and it's setup with...amazon.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's unlimited jpegs. RAWs you just put on amazon.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

baptism of fiber posted:

open jpeg in firefox: looks washed out
Enable color management in FF and gently caress the plebs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I have this monitor as well, and let's just say it puts my old TN panel to shame. I really love it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's not like his kind of client is going to complain or even notice.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nikonos :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Alvination posted:

Thanks. I think the history section will do me well.
If you want to set specific points you can also make a virtual copy and work on that. Since it's basically just a DB record, it wastes no drive space.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Back up the catalogs as well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

In LR at least it'll show you the low res preview while it generates the high quality one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Don't ever buy first party extra ram for consumer machines, christ.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spf3million posted:

I've upgraded RAM before, the physical install is easy. But I've never replaced it all before. Can I just take out the old one and pop in the new ones and start her up?
Ya. There's a latch that keeps them from popping off, so don't force on anything. Depending on the slots' physical arrangement you may need to insert the modules in a specific order.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If the range is not too crazy, this works fine (CS3, so things might not be 100% the same in 5).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fronkpies posted:

How does this look?
Why's your original (I'm guess out of camera) so underexposed? Push it til you're just about to clip.

• Locked thread