Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

Fidel Castronaut posted:

This thread is making me happy that I'm not doing this for a living, because it is apparently a bunch of photographers waving dicks and getting really self-important about printers when you reach the "professional" level.

Nah, I'm gonna count myself as a professional but where I work we create our own custom rgb and cymk spaces for viewing and printing, though I work with some super anal people (not to be confused with angry)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

mindphlux posted:

I am not sure if this is really a 'post processing' question, but -

I took this picture :

http://i39.tinypic.com/iegx3n.jpg

I like it, for the most part, except the obvious eye is red as poo poo part. I have had several photographs like this in the past where just one area is an odd color - but I think the actual image data is still all there - IE, it's not completely blown out. How would I go about correcting this in photoshop?

You can copy and paste the good eye to the other side, transform it and mask it to fit

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

Mannequin posted:

I have a question for people like LuisX and Zoowick on how they achieve the uber-smooth airbrushing of skin on portraits. That's sort of been a weak point for me.

Since I rarely do excessive cloning and I'm not sure what digital cross-posting is, I'll leave this to the other pros. :) I'll try and find some examples of heavy cloning though if I can.

Since you keep all of your cloud work in it's own group it might be easier for you to just put the mask of the clouds into a layer mask on the group, then you wouldn't need to repeat it so often.

For skin a lot of people just clone and heal, really to give it a nice clean tone you want to dodge and burn.

for ex

I'm not allowed to post a before but you know Kate Moss doesn't look like that obv. What I find is healing is good for zits, unwanted freckles. Cloning is the tricky one, you can quickly get mushy fast. I use cloning mostly for little hairs on the face, zoom in with a very tiny soft brush on darken at 70% or so and take them out. If the model is shiny you can use a bigger soft brush at 30% and just sample and dot, sample from a new spot and dot again.

I haven't used cs4 so I'm unsure of the new dodge and burning stuff I'm hearing about but for 3 I'll stick with it on dodge at 2% (or 1 if its too strong) and start blending the little shapes of blotchyness on a face. For non beauty you can do this zoomed out, 16%, 33%, 50 etc with a big and small brushes then zoom in if necessary to blend smaller blotches. This is a great tool for changing shadows on skin too w/o having to liquidify (as with the shadow/highlight tool), but you have to be careful to keep it natural.

You can click other dynamics in the brush palette to help with sensitivity, but I have a very light touch with my tablet and don't prefer it.

If you go overboard use the history brush (set it after you dupe your original layer) and brush things back in at like 20% or so.

Helpful things you probs know but others might not:
When dodging/burning press option to switch without having to use the toolbar.
[ and ] to quickly switch brush sizes
"shift [" and "shift ]" to switch hardness of the brush

I can try and explain this better with pictures if anyone is interested but I'm on a new laptop and haven't really set much up yet

ferdinand fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 18, 2009

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

Mannequin posted:

Wait a second. Is this a joke or are you really a high-end fashion photographer and this is your shot?

I work at a high-end retouching house

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

Santa is strapped posted:

What kind of education/experience are retouching houses looking for typically? If you dont mind telling of course.

I got my bfa in photography and had about a years experience working for a photographer as his personal retoucher, the place I'm at now though kinda stripped most of what I knew as a retoucher away because they like to rebuild. Seems like a lot of companies want several years of experience, but if your work is good whatever. You can always get it from a photographer, build yourself up kinda thing.

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

Rocketface posted:

i dont know why these aren't here:

hold spacebar: hand
cmd plus: zoom in
cmd minus: zoom out
cmd 0: zoom to fit
cmd 9 (on cs4): zoom 100%
1-0: change brush opacity (10%, 20%, 30%; press two quickly for 29 or 54 or anything you can dream of)

oh but they are (on this page even)

Raw is great to make sure there is detail in shadows and values in highlights.

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

SpecialAgentCooper posted:

I have a question that doesn't really apply to either photography or post-processing, but 1) I don't want to muck up the forum by making a new thread for such a small question and 2) I doubt anybody knows more about RGB vs CMYK than the people posting here. So:

I have an image with only green, white, and black in it, nothing else (arty photo manip basically). It's in RGB and I need to convert it to CMYK for printing, but the green hue I used is too bright so the color conversion dials it down a bit to a duller blue-ish green. This is a bit annoying but I kind of expected it, whatever. But when it gets "converted", will the color I see in Photoshop match whatever color is on the printed copy? Because when I save the same image as a jpeg, it appears as a horribly bright neon green, much brighter than the one in Photoshop. So which one is closest to the print color?

Am I missing something really blatantly obvious? Is there a way to get something close the original color in CMYK? For reference, the color I originally used was #009900. I'm not really sure what to expect from what I print, especially since I can't afford a crazy monitor calibration setup. Again, sorry if this question doesn't really fit in with the general discussion/impressive tutorials, but I thought somebody here would understand my problem best.

If your monitor isn't calibrated you really won't know what the image will look like printed. Though a lot of times when I need to pop a red in cymk for print I'll have the red part masked and saved as an alpha channel then after I've done my conversions for print I'll load the mask and use a selective color adjustment layer. You won't get exact but you can boost it a bit. You can save the adjustment layers to load later which is helpful if you end up doing multiple versions.

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

evensevenone posted:

Don't use the individual R G and B curves, just use the combined curve. If you use the individual channel curves you need to make microscopic adjustments (and these probably aren't the best tools for color editing since its so hard to do anything useful).

Maybe as a beginner but you can do some beautiful overall color work using individual channels, and for masking they are great (along with selective color)

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me
Still going to profess my love for dodge & burn!

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me
The only people I know that use DNG are the people in this thread, amazingly. No, maybe I've seen it come in once at work, but I don't recall.

We also keep g4s around for drum scanning. It sucks.

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me
oh yeah, MOS comes in next for rarest file types we recieve @ my job. Always a pain!

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me
For sharpening in PS I usually start out at(unsharp mask) 100/1, sometimes varying. Afterwards perhaps 10/250 for a nice richness, like to play it up on jewelry or sparkly things as well.

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

poopinmymouth posted:

Here's the before/after of the latest shot of mine. I'm thinking of doing a thread where I just go through my whole post processing workflow for an image like this. Any interest?

Do you deliberately shoot to give yourself a lot of post?

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

dunkleosteus posted:

I have a handful of badly composed and out of focus shots of geese that I wanted to have a go at in post because they were all underexposed as they were all backlit on a sunny day and I just shot auto. I got stuck pretty quickly - I just took the exposure down and brought up the fill light in LR to relcaim the details on the geese but that resulted in them looking washed out and lifeless. I've tried increasing the saturation but it just ends up looking like a cartoon, any tips?

Unsharp mask at 10.250.0 (maybe even twice) and a simple S curve would make them pop a bit.

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

TsarAleksi posted:

I don't think anyone is "hating." There is nothing wrong with legitimate criticisms: they can do nothing but help. You want to edit your photos that way, go crazy, but there is no reason it should be in a critical vacuum.

If anything this has taught me people will pay for actions that are basically just curves :)

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Well, I'm starting with RAW files and my understanding and experience is that when coming from RAW files you have a lot of headroom. I have been able to get a lot of detail back from overexposed areas before and since I'm just combining a bunch of files with the plan to come back and tweak later I'd like to keep my options somewhat open.

The only thing I ever do in 16 bit is the initial sharpening, don't be afraid of 8 bit

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

orange lime posted:

A very carefully hand-painted layer mask. There are tools that will automate parts of it pretty well (mess with the refine edge tools for instance), but for the highest quality in a selection like that, you're going to want to be painting in each hair individually.

VVVV You're probably right, but I'm still unable to get things masked properly with the channels. If you can put up a basic tutorial on how you'd mask that out with channels -- especially given that it's monochrome -- I'd love to see it.

Actually a combination of the two works best, start out with the channel masking then fix with drawing the mask with pen pressure on, especially great for curly hair and when there isn't much contrast in the channels.

I don't do catalog work though so no comment on that one

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

squidflakes posted:

I've just started getting in to D&B retouching. It takes time. Lots and lots and lots of time, but the results are amazing.

nooooo, (I mean it is the best for skin retouching no doubt). Skin retouching is all shapes (+ shadows), you can dodge and burn (2% is nice) zoomed out quite a bit and still get results (unless you are doing a beauty ad or headshot whatnot). Color cloning, simple cloning at like 20% (textured brushes are nice), and light healing.

The vein I'd color stamp first to get that annoying blue out, then dodge/burn it zoomed out, same with the shape above her eyebrow though I would not totally remove it (or the vein area), you want to blend shapes not totally remove them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I've always kind of wondered about how much of a team effort goes into this stuff. Does a producer freelance out the photographer, hair/makeup, and retoucher? Or do you belong to one production house?

I work at a retouching house (we publish and as of recently do movie editing as well), the photogs choose us though we have some contracts with certain companies

quote:

I don't think you can really equate the two in terms of actual result. I use clone/heal/patch a lot and it up close it isn't that satisfactory in preserving skin texture detail.

I would really like to learn more about high end retouching. It's good to learn new methods and refine your workflow even if it means I still do a lot with clone but add some d/b to finish it off.

Dodging and burning is the best for skin, I say this a lot. But god don't do it at 300% or 500% or whatever that sounds painful. Switch between 100% and more zoomed out, blend shapes. That one goon posted tutorial is a good start for learning

• Locked thread