Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Can't you achieve it with a bit of split toning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

omg it's just like film, sooo dreamy

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Magenta shift, low contrast

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't think modern optometry can correct for tonal perception.

Anyway I loaded the same image up in color managed nuke, don't have PS for linux and gently caress gimp. Against a black background its much more noticeable and even more if viewed horizontally with the image at maximum fill. I could probably coax even more out by turning up the backlight on the HP which is deliberately set very low but I'm not actually going to do that.

Do you really have to derail every thread each time someone disagrees with you slightly? Jesus.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

How am I derailing? The guy asked if there was banding and thats all I've been talking about.

Yes he asked if someone else could see the banding and you've spent several posts proving how your equipment lets you see no banding but maybe some if you look hard enough and

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison of the actual films vs. VSCO'd shots.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

404notfound posted:

Does anybody here strive for a consistent "look" across all their pictures? Right now I just kinda dick around in Lightroom until I get something that looks cool, but it can vary a fair bit from one picture to another. Is it sort of a conscious decision, or does it just happen as you work on more and more pictures? Or is it something that I shouldn't even waste time thinking about if I only ever plan to shoot for fun?

A consistent look is not only in your processing but in your composition as well.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Chill Callahan posted:

I'm about to get a print of this. Can anyone with a better monitor tell me if these colors look good?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4omqwdv65xjki6/D%20Clone.jpg

We can't tell you if it looks the way you want it to - that's something you, the person with the "vision", needs to do.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

What exactly are these VSCO LR presets? Am I just buying LR/ACR slider values? Or are they more than that? I see they have camera profiles but I'm not sure how these are made and how accurate that method might be.

Are these guys actually shooting(and properly scanning) charts with real filmstock and creating profiles/lookup tables? And then applying that data to calibration data for all these different digital cameras?

It doesn't matter what method they use to emulate the film stock, it won't be the same. They're just black points/curves/whatever set to capture the 'feel' of whatever film they're attempting to emulate.

Scanning test charts shot on real film and attempting to emulate it just won't work as film and digital sensors have different response curves.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

If the DR of a digital sensor is greater than or equal to a film stock, couldn't you emulate the film stock with a lookup table made from a chart(s)?

DR isn't the same as response.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

No but unless I'm mistaken they are related. 2 different response curves that exist in the same range, it should be possible to create a transform inverse curve(lookup table) to mimic one from the other provided the source has greater than or equal DR than the target.

Edit: you wouldn't even need camera specific curves if you have camera specific normal calibration to a standard linear response(digital).

Specific camera > standard linear > film response

Like evil_bunnY said you could do that per-camera but that's assuming the DR exceeds the DR of the film you're attempting to emulate which probably isn't the case. There's also the issue of compression in areas with a different curve; highlight response in print film is much more linear than a digital sensor and likely contains more information.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

You've got some wicked (in a bad way) banding in your final image.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

sw1gger posted:

I assume you're referring to the gif (with all 256 colors of glory) because I don't see any in the photo itself.

My monitors are all calibrated & there's wildly obvious banding in your jpeg on the upper right on every screen I view it on

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

sw1gger posted:

Checked on my laptop and it seemed fine. I'm thinking you're mistaking banding for the smoke texture - so here's a quick version without it:

You're mistaking banding for "texture".

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Kenshin posted:

Most of the time we get these nice little things called "incremental updates" and they often add small new features, but I can understand if you aren't hip to how that whole computer machine thing works.

Or did I miss the small print on LR6 where it said it was feature frozen until LR7?

I didn't realize Adobe was bound by the Computer Machine Rules. Release cycles aren't a law.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

:qq:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

YouTube is the last place I'd look for photographic advice.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

You'll never notice your color is hosed up until you print

• Locked thread