Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Does anyone have an opinion on Capture One, or other alternatives to Lightroom? (I'm using Windows, but don't let that stop the discussion from going elsewhere.)

I started looking because LR has been running like a butt for me lately. Like, it's so slow that I'll think it's crashed sometimes. It may be fixable, but it got me wondering what else was out there.

I'm messing around with the C1 trial, and while the workflow is weird, and there are a lot of things I don't understand yet, the raw files from my a6000 look awesome immediately upon import. In LR, the starting point is always a washed out mess with weird colors (especially skin tones, especially especially for non-white people, holy poo poo). I spend half my time just trying to make things look as good as the in-camera jpegs. I bet there's some kind of preset I could make that would improve the import experience in LR, but the way things come out in Capture One is eye-opening.

Are there other programs that you'd recommend checking out? Any pros or cons of Capture One that you think I should be aware of? Should I just suck it up and use Lightroom and stop trying to be a special snowflake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Caryna posted:

I know, late to the party and all that, but: Capture One all the way! Once you get use slightly different workflow and user-interface you'll never go back to LR. As you already noticed the images are imported in much better quality already, saving you time right there. And Capture One uses actual layers when you edit stuff, not some wishy-washy magic pens.

I've fully switched over now, and I couldn't be happier. :)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Good update for Capture One Pro (version 10). Not a lot of flashy new stuff, but I no longer have a big delay when switching between images, which is nice. That had been getting worse and was starting to drive me up the wall.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Capture One is so good. I switched over 2 years ago and haven't regretted it for a second. More than anything I just love how that initial raw conversion is so much more reasonable, at least with Sony cameras. Whatever changes you want to make are at least starting from a usable base.

With Lightroom, people look like sickly aliens in a cloud of fog, and half the work is just getting back to something normal.

xzzy posted:

The real anchor is Photoshop, I use that for so much stuff I'm not sure I could live without it. If I never visit gimp.org again I will die happy.

Yeah, I'm still rocking the photography plan for that reason, so I have a Lightroom license that I don't use. Lovin' this subscription-based dystopia. I'm a couple episodes behind on the new Star Trek, and I'm getting the same feeling like when I'd realize I'm still paying for a World of Warcraft subscription that I haven't logged into for a month. :v:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Red_Fred posted:

I’ve got about 100 Gb of GoPro movies now that I want to make into a short 10 minute summary movie. What are the best programs for this? Can anyone link a good guide? I’ve never done any video editing before.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, I couldn’t find a video thread anywhere.

I haven't used a lot of video editors, so I can't really help with comparisons, but if you really just want to do this one project, then the 30 dollar monthly subscription to Adobe Premiere could do the trick. (It's 20 bucks a month if you commit to a whole year.)

It's definitely one of the big ones, and it's pretty intuitive for something so fully featured. I've only run into massive frustration with free programs, but it depends on how intricate you want to get.

• Locked thread