Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

QPZIL posted:

So, I normally just scan film, do an overall level-tweak and curve-tweak, and I'm done. I'm a big fan of straight out of the camera.

BUT, I decided to start playing around with post-processing and took out a photo that I wasn't very happy with to play around with.

Original:

Edited:

What could I have done different? What can be changed? What did I do right? I feel like I made it way too HDR-y by getting rid of most of the shadows. Mostly I just did a lot of selective leveling and hue/saturation.

Like I said, I'm new to post-processing :shobon:

I actually prefer the original. I don't see why you decided to lighten the shadows: it seems like you've decreased the total dynamic range of your image, and to me it looks flat and lacking in contrast.

Technically, the biggest problem is the blown out sky, which you can't easily fix in post. One solution would have been to expose for the sky and then bump the exposure of the shadows in post, but I don't know how well that would have worked, given the big difference in illumination between the shadows and the strong afternoon sun. The best thing to have done would have been to shoot as the sun is lower in the sky, or the sky is overcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

dexter6 posted:

So I've got the free trials of Lightroom and Photoshop installed. What would help me get started is:

1. Knowing what a typical "flow is"ie. "What are the basics that I should be able to in Lightroom and Photoshop"
2. What are the best video tutorials for walking me through some of these things?

Thanks again for the help!
you can start here:
http://tv.adobe.com/m/!/product/lightroom/

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

InternetJunky posted:

What's the easiest way to drop the glare in this shot a bit?

Usually when I import the RAW into photoshop I would use the 'recovery' slider in this case, but my source image is JPG so I don't even get that import screen and I'm not sure what photoshop is doing behind the scenes with the recovery option.

I think you'd get a similar effect to pushing the recovery slider if you used a curves adjustment to darken the highlights. However, in both cases, you'd probably just end up with grayish glare.

Glare is hard to deal with in post-processing.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
Somebody school me on cloning/masking. Here is the issue:

That frame impaling my friend's head needs to go. I tried creating a rough lasso-selection and then using refine mask edge, but it seems that brown hair / dark yellow wall and hair shadow / dark part of the picture were too much of a challenge and no matter how much I fiddled with the sliders nothing came out. Brushing on top of it didn't help. As for cloning, I've never had any success that didn't result in what looked like large smeary blobs (tiny brush/soft brush/transparent brush only yield different degrees of shittiness). Is there anything I'm missing, or should I just get back into photoshop and toil until I get something decent looking out?

Cockwhore fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 25, 2012

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
Thanks, ThisQuietReverie. So far I've always used something like a pure white background to judge the quality of the mask, but a b&w layer would be much better, as it'd allow me to see parts that are masked out.

That said, my problem with zooming in and using a brush is mostly the fact that there are often single strands of hair which end up being only a few px wide; when I mask them, the brush ends up bring too hard, and it looks awkward. Part of the problem seems to be that strands of hair are often thin enough to be transparent and show parts of the background through. Do you adjust the transparency of the brush, along with its size/softness (and is there a convenient shortcut)?

Also, I'll echo RangerScum's question re: gradients and cloning. My original idea was to knock out the whole background and replace it with a single color.

edit:

I actually meant refine edge, when I said refine mask earlier. It (understandably) struggled with the low contrast areas.
VVV

Cockwhore fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 25, 2012

• Locked thread