Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

ferdinand posted:

I work at a high-end retouching house

What kind of education/experience are retouching houses looking for typically? If you dont mind telling of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Sounds good to me, I'm down.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A5H posted:

Does anyone know if there's any lightroom plug-ins to mimic an effect like this at all?

Aside from decreasing the contrast a little and cross processing it a little, you can't mimic this unless you recreate the light:

-Sun in front of camera (but not in frame)
-Exposing for the shadow side of the car/object

This way your background will look a little cloudy as you see in this shot.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Or just go black and white!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I run LR4 and it functions pretty well for what hardware I run (core2duo, 2GB ram :saddowns: ). If I click export and browse around, it's not slow at all. Like evil_bunnY said, something has to be up.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yes.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

who knows what this will do to all of their plugins?

I do: you will need an internet connection when you edit photos in the cloud, integrated with all of google's webapps. THE CLOUD, MAN!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea, PS has had that feature for a few versions.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

I like the VSCO iphone app a lot.

I think VSCO is pretty cool but a lot of people have it and it is a bit faddish. Because it's applied at the lightroom/bridge stage it's hard to have as good control over it as if it was a filter in photoshop. You can't just be like "oh drop the opacity down a few notches" type thing.

Almost all presets sort of fall into that, I'd spend money on plug-in packages that use filters like Alienskin or ColorEFX. It just lets you do a bit more.

I just tried VSCO out, and on my test shots, I liked maybe 1 preset out of the lot. Although, I've seen some great shots with VSCO on top, so maybe my test shots are poo poo. I agree that I wish I had more fine grained control. And guess what - all VSCO presets are text files that you can edit if you know what the numbers mean.

example (a snippet of the xml):
code:
s = {
	id = "5093456F-B724-4327-A49F-44D6E4B3DD30",
	internalName = "C - Fuji 400H -",
	title = "C - Fuji 400H -",
	type = "Develop",
	value = {
		settings = {
			Blacks2012 = 25,
			BlueHue = 0,
			BlueSaturation = 0,
			CameraProfile = "Fuji 400H v2C",
			Clarity2012 = 0,
			Contrast2012 = 0,
			ConvertToGrayscale = false,
			EnableCalibration = true,

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A few comparisons:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/f/elementscompare.htm
http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/photoshopfamily/buying-guide-version-comparison.html

But in general, I would avoid serious editing on a tablet.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

The thing is, a whale is gray when viewed out of water. A whale in water would be blue, just like the first photo. The 1st photo is the more true colour one.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I remember taking this test a year or so ago, and got 1 or 2. I took it again just now - 10. My eyes are getting worse I guess :shrug:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

raggedphoto posted:

As terrible as that image is it probably took over a hundred layers of lens flare, illustrations and adjustment layers to achieve the final look. If you step into this project thinking that its just some quick textures and glow you'll find yourself very frustrated. There is a ton of masking and transforming involved just for the glow aspects, prepare for a lot of hours if you want something as polished as that image.

Yea I agree. There are a lot of tutorials out there that deal with each specific effect. It will be up to you to blend them all together. Practice is all it takes.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

PS is just so much easier for fine tuning images. I find lightroom very blunt in comparison.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I like to see them full size to judge whether or not I hit focus.

Adobe's Bridge does it well enough for me.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Stop taking jpegs, that will cut your workflow in half. Deal with the RAWs and flag-delete whatever you don't like.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Dial down the HDR look and you're golden.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha, I think having a bad portfolio is one of the prerequisites of having a successful YT channel. I guess those who are truly great have no time nor care for such things,

Really? You think they don't have a good portfolio because they don't have time to make one, since they're so busy giving out criticism and making youtube videos?

They have a bad portfolio because they're bad at making photos, so they decided to make youtube videos instead, criticizing others.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 11, 2015

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Ah, that makes more sense.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Download the Nik editing suite. It's free now.

It works standalone or within PS etc

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Why do you want 2000+ photos?
Did you really look at every single one and thought "This is a keeper." ?

I'm willing to bet if you pick 10 of those 2000 you'd get more than a better idea of the trip.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Try before you buy.

• Locked thread