Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Looking for a little help in identifying other songs/artist or simply a genre. Came across this song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9oDmTOSXbk and a linked song that I also like is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUmk31jvdIA

I like the heavy funk beats. I like that it's has a more up beat tempo and the heavy distortion in the vocals with a heavy synth. What other stuff is out there or what genre would this be (funkatronic?)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Both of those sound like Chromeo clones.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

sterster posted:

Looking for a little help in identifying other songs/artist or simply a genre. Came across this song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9oDmTOSXbk and a linked song that I also like is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUmk31jvdIA

I like the heavy funk beats. I like that it's has a more up beat tempo and the heavy distortion in the vocals with a heavy synth. What other stuff is out there or what genre would this be (funkatronic?)?

Chromeo as mentioned

Tuxedo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-gcfQhR_9c

Excellent Gentlemen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AfzZQiXvQE

Zapp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK6wOG_aDl8

Roger Troutman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcR2ZVWHDNs

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I really love American Football and This Town Needs Guns (TTNG) - are there any similar math rock bands that have vocals and are easy to listen to?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Disharmony posted:

I really love American Football and This Town Needs Guns (TTNG) - are there any similar math rock bands that have vocals and are easy to listen to?

Yay I finally get an excuse to plug my favorite album ever Wake Up Swimming by Other Men

who is a band basically reassembled from the remains of Thingy, who was the second project of Rob Crow of Pinback fame

Rob Crow is a genius songwriter if you're not familiar with him, he has a way of writing math rock in a really poppy, lullabyesque way

Anyway, yeah I would say that Other Men isn't quite as twinkly and textured as an American Football, and a bit more intricate and noodly, but goddamn if the dude doesn't have a way of turning the most loopy mathy clean-toned guitar wankery into blissful pop fluff and goddrat that's an incredible album that I never get tired of listening to even after like 10 years. The whole thing's up on Youtube, look it up

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Disharmony posted:

There are a whole lot of bands who are heavily indebted to American Football but I wouldn't call them math rock. Do you listen to any other emo in that style?

weekling
May 21, 2016
im looking for 40s/50s electronic music that isnt space age pop or electronic classical. i like the space age pop/surf sound but ive heard so much of it

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Awesome, they do sound alike. Is Other Men on iTunes? Having trouble looking for their stuff other than YouTube.

Henchman of Santa posted:

There are a whole lot of bands who are heavily indebted to American Football but I wouldn't call them math rock. Do you listen to any other emo in that style?

I had no idea that they qualified as "emo" - most of the emo I have are posthardcore-y or the fake ones.

That said, yes, I'd be open to checking anyone that resembles that sound. Specific songs would be nice too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Disharmony posted:

Awesome, they do sound alike. Is Other Men on iTunes? Having trouble looking for their stuff other than YouTube.

I had no idea that they qualified as "emo" - most of the emo I have are posthardcore-y or the fake ones.

That said, yes, I'd be open to checking anyone that resembles that sound. Specific songs would be nice too.

I'm an album guy more than a song guy, so check out:
Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) - What it Takes to Move Forward
Foxing - The Albatross
The Reptilian - Low Health
The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die - Harmlessness
Their / They're / There - self-titled (also has Mike Kinsella)

Mathiness and noodling levels may vary but all those bands listen to a lot of AmFoo and I've seen two of them with TTNG before.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

weekling posted:

im looking for 40s/50s electronic music that isnt space age pop or electronic classical. i like the space age pop/surf sound but ive heard so much of it

I don't think you'll find much, early electronic music was almost all linked to the academic tradition, it's only really in the 60s that synthesisers start being used by other people. I guess Bebe and Louis Barron's Forbidden Planet soundtrack would be worth checking out. There's also a compilation called 'Ohm: The Early Gurus of Electronic Music' that may be of interest, although it goes into the 60s and 70s and a lot of the material on it is from classical composers doing electronic stuff.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Disharmony posted:

There is only one Other Men album, so wysiwyg. However, rob crow is an extremely prolific musician (or at least he WAS; he quit music this year)

Other similar crow stuff: pinback, thingy, heavy vegetable, optiganally yours, remote action sequence project, the ladies, and all of his solo albums. Also Goblin Cock, who are sludge/doom metal, but still pretty drat poppy and intricate.

weekling
May 21, 2016

A human heart posted:

I don't think you'll find much, early electronic music was almost all linked to the academic tradition, it's only really in the 60s that synthesisers start being used by other people. I guess Bebe and Louis Barron's Forbidden Planet soundtrack would be worth checking out. There's also a compilation called 'Ohm: The Early Gurus of Electronic Music' that may be of interest, although it goes into the 60s and 70s and a lot of the material on it is from classical composers doing electronic stuff.

lol i specifically mentioned electronic classical to not get recommendations from ohm+. not to say its bad, its one of my fav comps, but ive heard it before. ill check out that soundtrack though thanks

QuasarIntheMist
Sep 4, 2011

I am in severe need of new stuff to put on my running playlist. Here's some of what's already on there:

Nick Cave - Babe I'm on Fire
M|O|O|N - Hydrogen
The Clean - Point That Thing Somewhere Else (In-a-Live version)
Waveshaper - The Engineer
Desert Sessions - Screamin' Eagle

Not too picky, but I like things that kick off almost immediately.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

QuasarIntheMist posted:

I am in severe need of new stuff to put on my running playlist...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAp64nGjZK8

(Not a very serious suggestion, I just got reminded of this one time I left work with earphones on and this song started on the exact moment I walked out of the door. My walk to the bus stop was extra brisk and swaggery that time. :v:)

As for something a bit more fitting to your examples, maybe some electro swing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBGSJ3sbivI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eco4z98nIQY

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

weekling posted:

lol i specifically mentioned electronic classical to not get recommendations from ohm+. not to say its bad, its one of my fav comps, but ive heard it before. ill check out that soundtrack though thanks

I think there's actually an excerpt from the Forbidden Planet soundtrack on Ohm anyway. This list(http://www.factmag.com/2014/05/29/the-greatest-electronic-albums-of-the-1950s-and-1960s) also has some cool looking stuff, some of it's from the 60s though.

A human heart fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 22, 2016

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

QuasarIntheMist posted:

I am in severe need of new stuff to put on my running playlist. Here's some of what's already on there:

Nick Cave - Babe I'm on Fire
M|O|O|N - Hydrogen
The Clean - Point That Thing Somewhere Else (In-a-Live version)
Waveshaper - The Engineer
Desert Sessions - Screamin' Eagle

If you like MOON you might also like:
Slagsmålsklubben - Sponsored by destiny
Harlem - Pieces
Modeselektor - Black Block
Björn Anders Nilsson - Lasanj

If you like The Clean you should definitely check out other "Dunedin Sound" bands like Snapper. There's a nice compilation of Flying Nun artists called Getting Older that has a lot of good stuff on it.
edit: looks like someone has made a youtube playlist

As for that Waveshaper song, there's a ridiculous amount of retro-synth/fake 80s/"new retro wave" stuff out there. It all sounds pretty much alike, but names that people usually bring up are Carpenter Brut/Lazerhawk/Miami Nights 1984

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 22, 2016

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

stay depressed posted:

the first EP by Amesoeurs is the high water mark for that whole sound or scene or whatever it was

Oh I listened to it. Its definitely very similar, didn't know that Neige is on both Alcest and Amesoeurs but Amesoeurs also has the female vocalist so its not all the same. Loving these two bands so far. Amesoeurs and Alcest.

Its seems France is a pretty good spot for Black Metal. I use to think it was mostly Scandinavian bands but nice to see France produce some great Metal bands. Its kinda a bonus that I speak French so I understand some of it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

France is pretty good for black metal, but Neige projects have nothing to do with black metal at this point.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I don't know what its exactly called. I always get mixed up with music genres. Maybe its post rock? Because post rock bands share a lot of similarities to Neige's bands.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Ulio posted:

Ya I don't know what its exactly called. I always get mixed up with music genres. Maybe its post rock? Because post rock bands share a lot of similarities to Neige's bands.

Probably more shoegaze crossed with some black metal aesthetics.

Edit: if you want some french black metal you could check out Belenos. It is a one-man band from Brittany way into the Celtic mythology of that area. I haven't heard the newest stuff, but the first couple of albums are great.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Checked out Belenos they sound a bit more epic. Enjoying it thus far. Kinda hard to remember the song names since their all in Celtic/Germanic?.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This might be a strange request, but are there any songs like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD8zGTpyM9w

Where its a modern song, that utilizes a Guzheng? I love the sound that thing makes

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I bought the soundtrack to DOOM and I'm surprised as hell at how much I like it. Is there a genre for this that's more descriptive than "angry guitar without singing"? And / or other similar stuff?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw&t=60s

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Look for instrumental djent bands. Check out Animals as Leaders.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I had no idea this was even a thing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Friends, what Kate Bush records do I need aside from Hounds of Love(which I like a whole bunch)?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the other essential ones are the kick inside, the dreaming, the sensual world, the 2 vols of this womans work (b-sides/rarities collections) and aerial

the rest are good too but less good than those, imo

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i'm looking for more stuff like Built to Spill and pre-Moon and Antarctica Modest Mouse- i guess guitar-heavy indie rock that manages to be both hooky and sprawling? i'm familiar with all the other bands these two share members with and also most of their big influences (Smiths, Dinosaur Jr, Neil Young, Sonic Youth), so i suppose more obscure is better. thanks!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

funkybottoms posted:

i'm looking for more stuff like Built to Spill and pre-Moon and Antarctica Modest Mouse- i guess guitar-heavy indie rock that manages to be both hooky and sprawling? i'm familiar with all the other bands these two share members with and also most of their big influences (Smiths, Dinosaur Jr, Neil Young, Sonic Youth), so i suppose more obscure is better. thanks!

Pretty much anything by the Meat Puppets

...And The Hazy Sea by Cymbals Eat Guitars

Hey, Snow White by Destroyer

Only For You by Heartless Bastards

It's Not Easy by Ofege

Gut Feeling by Devo

Hold On by Alabama Shakes

I Had a Real Good Lover by The Shouting Matches

In Particular Blonde Redhead

You also didn't mention The Pixies, Yo La Tengo, Talking Heads, R.E.M., Pink Floyd, Pavement/Stephen Malkmus, all of which were huge influences to early Modest Mouse sounds. You may also like Spoon or Wilco.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Franchescanado posted:

You also didn't mention The Pixies, Yo La Tengo, Talking Heads, R.E.M., Pink Floyd, Pavement/Stephen Malkmus, all of which were huge influences to early Modest Mouse sounds. You may also like Spoon or Wilco.

figured "more obscure" excluded most of those groups, but, yeah, i enjoy most of them, too (we've listened to Talking Heads, Meat Puppets, Pixies, REM, and WIlco at work in the last week). definitely a few that i didn't know/hadn't thought of, though, so thanks!

VVV haven't listened to Silkworm in years; i guess i should revisit! don't know Bottomless Pit, but i'll check them out, thanks

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 6, 2016

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

funkybottoms posted:

Please tell me you're already listening to Silkworm/Bottomless Pit

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016

Disharmony posted:

Try the speed of sound in seawater https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C2fkkHU2-Y&list=PLvdK1yOE5FENu-Y8QffwhobKiFseo0Lpo

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

cryme posted:

Please tell me you're already listening to Silkworm/Bottomless Pit

Yeah we'll beat you up otherwise.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've been obsessed with San Fermin's Jackrabbit (the song, not the album), lately, and I'm on a bit of a quest to find more music like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvHzV7ygaOA

All the recommendation websites just list artists similar to the album, which I also enjoy, but I'm hooked on this specific song, and I feel like there definitely is a some kind of subgenre it should belong to. It's very vocals-heavy with a kind of frantic pacing, and I'm not sure how much of it is just Charlene Kaye's voice.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Hey recommendation thread! I was hoping someone could point me towards more stuff in the vein of Harmaja.

So:
- Acoustic or mostly acoustic, calm, wistful, soothing stuff with smooth, melodic singing. I love how their music is quite melancholic, but has this comforting, bittersweet and somewhat hopeful undertone to it instead of being just miserably mopey.
- Nothing too experimental or avant-garde, and with actual structured songs instead of floaty, meandering ambient stuff (if that makes sense).
- The presence of piano is a big plus, and although Harmaja don't use them some strings are also welcome. (such as in this song by the singer's previous band.)
- Language and singer's gender are not an issue.

Really though just listen to a few of their songs and recommend me something that gives you a similar vibe. I'll try to keep an open mind. :)

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Nordick posted:

Hey recommendation thread! I was hoping someone could point me towards more stuff in the vein of Harmaja.

So:
- Acoustic or mostly acoustic, calm, wistful, soothing stuff with smooth, melodic singing. I love how their music is quite melancholic, but has this comforting, bittersweet and somewhat hopeful undertone to it instead of being just miserably mopey.
- Nothing too experimental or avant-garde, and with actual structured songs instead of floaty, meandering ambient stuff (if that makes sense).
- The presence of piano is a big plus, and although Harmaja don't use them some strings are also welcome. (such as in this song by the singer's previous band.)

Really though just listen to a few of their songs and recommend me something that gives you a similar vibe. I'll try to keep an open mind. :)

The Tallest Man on Earth fits a lot of that criteria, his later albums especially as he has a full band behind him, first couple of albums are just him and acoustic guitar

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
I'd like to find some more songs to round out my acoustic/ballads playlist.

I prefer rock bands, and I prefer the music to be a little more on the darker, more melancholic side. Bonus if there's really well-done harmonies in there. Examples of stuff already on this playlist are Alice In Chains (especially stuff from their MTV Unplugged set), Stone Sour, Pink Floyd, and Adna. I'd love to keep adding to this list with some like-minded stuff.

Examples of stuff already on this playlist:

Alice In Chains - Your Decision
Alice In Chains - Down In A Hole (Unplugged)
Stone Sour - Wicked Game
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Adna - Beautiful Hell

Thanks!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

screaden posted:

The Tallest Man on Earth fits a lot of that criteria, his later albums especially as he has a full band behind him, first couple of albums are just him and acoustic guitar
I'm not a big fan of his singing voice to be honest and the music doesn't really push my buttons either, though as you said it does mostly fit the criteria. Thanks for the effort, though. :)

Well as it happens, this fits pretty well under what I had in mind just two posts up from yours, so thanks for that eventhough it wasn't a deliberate suggestion. :) Conversely, you might find Harmaja fitting for that playlist, if you don't mind our crazy moon language.

Alternatively, off the top of my head, Tarot - Sleepless.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Nordick posted:

So:

Where are you with neo-folk as a genre? Because that seems to hit most of your points really.

Anyway, you might like some of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lMcZDho2UY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAx6EMjeGuk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Nordick posted:

I'm not a big fan of his singing voice to be honest and the music doesn't really push my buttons either, though as you said it does mostly fit the criteria. Thanks for the effort, though. :)

Well as it happens, this fits pretty well under what I had in mind just two posts up from yours, so thanks for that eventhough it wasn't a deliberate suggestion. :) Conversely, you might find Harmaja fitting for that playlist, if you don't mind our crazy moon language.

Alternatively, off the top of my head, Tarot - Sleepless.

I'm glad you liked Adna! I discovered her completely by accident, accidentally clicking to play her song instead of a different one on my Spotify discovery thing.

Gonna be honest, though, most of that stuff you posted isn't really doing it for me. I'm not really into folk music, I just like melancholy acoustic rock. Tarot sounded like a legit medieval bard, which is cool, but not really what I'm after :)