Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

dailydares posted:

What are some good Dub comps?

Flashing Echo and In The Red Zone are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
I'm looking for some good Middle-Eastern influenced metal, or maybe metal that relies heavily on orchestral instruments and less on guitars.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Speaking of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, a better starting point would be Architecture and Morality. Dazzle Ships is a somewhat unconventional album.

Oh, and technically Depeche Mode's Violator isn't '80s music, because it was released in 1990. If you want a DM album that was actually released in the '80s, check out Music for the Masses.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
I'm looking for something similar to Ladytron, either in the hard electronica-type sounds or Slavic lyrics (I dig Slavic languages).

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

HateTheInternet posted:

I'm looking for some good Middle-Eastern influenced metal, or maybe metal that relies heavily on orchestral instruments and less on guitars.

You'd probably like al-Qaynah.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

HateTheInternet posted:

Orphaned Land is Israeli metal with progressive death and folk influences. You might like them.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm looking for more old school sounding american/southern rock. Stuff like Gaslight Anthem and the up tempo songs by Clutch.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

blakout posted:

I'm looking for more old school sounding american/southern rock. Stuff like Gaslight Anthem and the up tempo songs by Clutch.

Drive-By Truckers are absolutely your first stop for Southern rock; Decoration Day and/or The Dirty South to start. My Morning Jacket's varied catalog includes a lot of stuff that fits this description; I'd recommend It Still Moves to start.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
Hit me, a man with no real knowledge of it, with your finest albums of ska. I am deeply curious.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
The Specials - The Specials
any of the Trojan ska comps, they're all really good

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Hit me, a man with no real knowledge of it, with your finest albums of ska. I am deeply curious.

Reel Big Fish "The Best of us For the rest of us"

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Laurel Aitken - The Pioneer of Jamaican Music
Desmond Dekker - Rockin' Steady: The Best of Desmond Dekker
Jackie Mittoo - Last Train to Skaville
The Wailers - One Love at Studio One
Prince Buster - Fabulous Greatest Hits
The Skatalites - Foundation Ska
Studio One Ska
and yeah, a Trojan Box or two.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I've been getting into dreamy dance/disco/synthpop lately. I really like Sally Shapiro, Anoraak (I know about the Valerie Collective), and FM Attack. Any more recommendations? Also, I've heard Tesla Boy's Modern Thrills but wasn't terribly impressed.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I really like the tune "Intruder Alert" from the TF2 soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcGFDhIUG4k

Any recommendations for jazzy uptempo stuff like this (that is the right turn of phrase, right?) would be appreciated.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I'm looking for some good modern shoegazey/dreampop music to add to my collection.

I really enjoy the classics (MBV, JaMC, Cocteau Twins, Slowdive, Ride, Catherine Wheel, etc.). Of the newer "nu-gaze" bands that I've heard, I most enjoy The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, The Radio Dept., Longview, School of Seven Bells, the Silversun Pickups' first album, and to a lesser extent Asobi Seksu's first two albums; as well as electronica-based stuff like M83, Ulrich Schnauss, and Tycho (I REALLY wish I could find artists that sound similar to those three).

I tend to dislike the really lo-fi, noisy stuff (Vivian Girls, No-Age, Deerhunter, etc.), since it all just sounds like a sloppy version of Psychocandy to my ears.

I, like so many posters before me, am deeply curious.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I'm looking for some good modern shoegazey/dreampop music to add to my collection.

Here are some albums you may like:

The Daysleepers - Drowned in a Sea of Sound
Daniel Land & The Modern Painters - Love Songs for the Chemical Generation
Keith Canisius- Ferris Wheel Makeout
Airiel - The Battle of Sealand

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

I really enjoy the classics (MBV, JaMC, Cocteau Twins, Slowdive, Ride, Catherine Wheel, etc.). Of the newer "nu-gaze" bands that I've heard, I most enjoy The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, The Radio Dept., Longview, School of Seven Bells, the Silversun Pickups' first album, and to a lesser extent Asobi Seksu's first two albums; as well as electronica-based stuff like M83, Ulrich Schnauss, and Tycho (I REALLY wish I could find artists that sound similar to those three).

I tend to dislike the really lo-fi, noisy stuff (Vivian Girls, No-Age, Deerhunter, etc.), since it all just sounds like a sloppy version of Psychocandy to my ears.

From 2010:
Ghost Blonde by No Joy (decent LA shoegaze band whose album just came out. kevin shields gets pissed when you say MBV vocals are buried under the mix, these guys embrace that sound.)
The Waves by Tamaryn (Worth a listen, few great songs)
Pleamar by Resplandor (I think these guys are brazilian or something, very cocteau twins guitar sound)
Sparkler by Ringo Deathstarr (might've been 2009, can't remember)
S-m 2: Abyss in B Minor by Serena-Maneesh

Devotion Implosion by Gliss (the production on this album is amazing, they sound like a huge shoegaze BRMC)
Secrets are Sinister by Longwave
23 by Blonde Redhead
All of Robin Guthries solo stuff, although I'm sure you've heard it if you're into Cocteau Twins
Waiting for the Time to be Right by The Brother Kite (heavy reverb beach boys type shoegaze, i dunno)

On the more electronic side:
Anything by Boards of Canada, I'm sure you've checked them out by now
Immolate Yourself by Telefon Tel Aviv
Quique by Seefeel ('the only band on warp records with guitars', incredible album, they've got a new one coming out this year)
Sinister Devices by Viernes
76:14 by Global Communication

I had some more electronic ones but I can't think of them right now. These are all on spotify if it's available to you.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Check out Pluramon, especially the album Dreams Top Rock.

But did you just call Deerhunter lo-fi? Dude...

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Skywave and A Place To Bury Strangers are very much J&MC-worship, but they do it in a way that doesn't sound re-hashed and annoying. Give 'em a look.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

fozzie dunlop posted:

Skywave and A Place To Bury Strangers are very much J&MC-worship, but they do it in a way that doesn't sound re-hashed and annoying. Give 'em a look.

I dislike the music he's asking for and love the music he specifically mentions disliking and I love APTBS, so I'd tell him to stay away from APTBS. They're super-noisy (which makes them fantastic but whatever), like if someone made a band based on MBV but had only heard Only Shallow.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Thanks so much for the recommendations! I've got a helluva lot of things to listen to over the break. :)

Cattywampus
Oct 14, 2008

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I want some more music like Rise Against, I like all their albums so anything is fine.

You will probably dig 88 fingers louie, members of Rise Against were in that band. Out of all the bands Eight is Legend mentioned are good, definitely check out A Wilhelm Scream and Strung Out but Strike Anywhere and Anti Flag aren't what you are looking for. If I were you I would check out Crime in Stereo, No Trigger, Only Crime, and Pour Habit if you're looking for something similar to Rise Against.

Cattywampus fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 24, 2010

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I want some more music like Rise Against, I like all their albums so anything is fine.

You might like:

Set Your Goals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIz22Gjju_U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciILFipUg4o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEOGuR5CD3Q&feature=related

Break the Silence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe63nVeve0Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvUhSOaAFiY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqZIcnbdVqg&feature=related

and maybe
Stretch Armstrong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXKYLxy1yro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gziqDXXTjEA&feature=related

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Hey can someone recommend me music that sounds like Queen's '39? I love that old Americana-bluesy-acousticy feel but I'm not sure where to start finding more.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
I'm looking for some more songs to add to a playlist. They have to be equally as good as the current songs, and also fit in with the rest of the songs:

I'm not a big Dylan guy.

Here is the playlist so far:

HighwayMan
If you could Read My Mind (Gordon Lightfoot)
Heart of Gold
Sound of silence
Old Man (live at Massey hall)

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
The Johnny Cash cover of If You Could Read My Mind would probably fit better with that list than the original.

e: Maybe
Paul Brady's Arthur McBride would work as well? Normally I'd suggest Dylan's version, but you've already nixed that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBGkhPx529g

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 26, 2010

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

you'd probably like City Center's self-titled album, it's all very atmospheric and dreamy with tons of textures and stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNDBjdKEGQ4&t=1m55s

maybe get some stuff by Lilys, I'd recommend the album Eccsame the Photon Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-nmvKKF9o

also you've probably heard them but The xx's debut album was excellent dreampop

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to add some modern classical music to my playlists. I've listened to all the old masters and like especially Bach, Sibelius, Musorgski and Elgar. I don't like most of Wagner, Mozart leaves me "meh" and Roma-styled music is not for me.

Please don't recommend Philip Glass or any soundtracks from movies.

What should I try?

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 27, 2010

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'd like to add some modern classical music to my playlists. I've listened to all the old masters and like especially Bach, Sibelius, Musorgski and Elgar. I don't like most of Wagner, Mozart leaves me "meh" and Rome-styled music is not for me.

What should I try?

I'm not someone who "knows their poo poo", I'm just recommending one of the relatively few things in the last year or two that I've listened to with classical stylings, but try Luigi Rubino - A Theme For The Moon. I love it

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I'm looking for more music in 2 different categories!

First any kind of music that you could describe as "minimalist" Trance, Ambient, orchestral- Any type.

And second more music like The XX, Arcade Fire or Vampire Weekend's slower songs.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'd like to add some modern classical music to my playlists. I've listened to all the old masters and like especially Bach, Sibelius, Musorgski and Elgar. I don't like most of Wagner, Mozart leaves me "meh" and Roma-styled music is not for me.

What should I try?
Arvo Part is an amazing modern composer, and he's still alive albeit very old. A fair bit of his stuff has been in films but most people probably couldn't name his music

this particular piece was in There Will Be Blood,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vdgZAJVnes

he has many other fantastic works, if you like this get Tabula Rasa as it contains this piece and a few other equally fantastic ones

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 27, 2010

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Didn't notice any recommendations yet, so here goes:

Virtue posted:

Shiny by Kaori Kobayashi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGKvMDZ5zM

Reminds me of Miles Davis. Try, say, his album "Miles Davis at Carnegie Hall - Complete Concert" and if you only want one track then go with "So What". Sounds also a little like Isaac Hayes. Theme from Shaft is a classic, try that.

quote:

Canon in D by Ronald Jenkees
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etHOFmFF3FA

Pachelbels Canon is a classic. I'm not sure whether you like the original song, the horrible guitar sample he uses or his undeniably nice improv. A few suggestions in order might be:

Saint-Sans: Carnival of the Animals
chalkboard and fingernails
Count Basie: (most anything, but let's say Boogie Woogie or One O'Clock Jump)

The whole thing sounds a little like Top Gun Anthem from the movie.

quote:

Orange by Ed Alleyne-Johnson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUO6kYLb6As

This may sound stupid, but it sounds quite a lot like some computer game music remixes. Try O2 - Zoids remix for an example of what I mean. Of course, most remixes won't sound nearly as nice.

Also Jean Michel Jarre. Maybe "Oxygne"?

quote:

I'm also interested in something like "modern classical," I guess would be a decent way to describe it.

Have you just tried classical or jazz/blues? A couple suggestions:

Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue
Barber: Adagio for strings
Elgar: Pomp and Circumstance or Violin Concerto in B Minor
Sibelius: Karelia Suite
Per instrument: Joe Satriani or Steve Vai for guitar, Yehudi Menuhin for violin, Big Walter Horton for harmonica or Art Tatum for piano.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

First any kind of music that you could describe as "minimalist" Trance, Ambient, orchestral- Any type.

Philip Glass.

Edit: ok, maybe a few more words. He's a composer whose style has often been described as "minimalist". He's done music for such a wide variety of purposes that it's easier to say he's done it all and leave it at that. I understand "Einstein on the Beach" was very popular when it came out, so perhaps start there?

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 27, 2010

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Polygamy posted:

You will probably dig 88 fingers louie, members of Rise Against were in that band. Out of all the bands Eight is Legend mentioned are good, definitely check out A Wilhelm Scream and Strung Out but Strike Anywhere and Anti Flag aren't what you are looking for. If I were you I would check out Crime in Stereo, No Trigger, Only Crime, and Pour Habit if you're looking for something similar to Rise Against.

Really? You don't think Strike Anywhere are similar to Rise Against?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ7Z6TrOtJY

Eight Is Legend fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 27, 2010

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Paperhouse posted:

Arvo Part is an amazing modern composer, and he's still alive albeit very old. A fair bit of his stuff has been in films but most people probably couldn't name his music

I listened to Prt, I happen to have an Estonian friend. His music is a little... well, not strange, but it is weirdly structured and has practically no melodic hooks I could latch onto. It was a fun experience and I can well understand his popularity based on what little I listened to. I think I will have to return to him.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
Is there any other grindcore similar to Brutal Truth's Need to Control? Specifically I like that I can discern the riffs over the blast beats, and I like that the punk elements are more prevalent in certain parts.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
I crave Teutonic barkingman metal. Are there any Neue Deutsche Hrte bands worth checking out besides Rammstein, Megaherz and Ooomph!?

Alternately, recommend me stuff in a similar vein to In Extremo. A quick prod of Wikipedia brings up Corvus Corax, are they any good? Or anything else. I know there's a whole subset of medieval-kinda metal coming out of middle Europe I know little about and I'm curious.

edit: funny thing, there's actually a crossover band between the two scenes involving members of Corvus Corax called Tanzwut. If you feel your Rammstein records were good and all but could have used that little extra something, say, bagpipes? This is the band for you!

Any other recs are still welcome though, please thankyou :)

sharts fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 28, 2010

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I've been running out of music to listen to lately. I'm a metal/progressive fan, and with the softer bands like Muse I prefer their heavier sound ("Stockholme Syndrome" for example), Dream Theater ("Panic Attack/Constant Motion/Never Enough"). Something that has a more technical sound to it for lack of a better word. The vocalists in both examples are kinda soft, but a harder singer wouldn't turn me off from suggestions. Any good bands the thread could recommend?

While I'm at it, I've found the songs from Dethklok's Dethalbums to be amazingly good, even when Small's trying to be more serious in the second album. Any... whatever the hell the group's classified as that could be suggested?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
The Touching Evil TV program (the US version) has music by the current partner of Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross. It has never been released.

What music is like this? 12 Rounds does not seem much like it, not does the NIN I have heard.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Hob_Gadling posted:

What should I try?

Steve Reich, Terry Riley and John Adams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

as well as electronica-based stuff like M83, Ulrich Schnauss, and Tycho (I REALLY wish I could find artists that sound similar to those three).

Definitely check out Milosh, and possibly Williamson (think thats a goon iirc).

As for me, I've been listening to Eartha Kitt and Anita O'Day all drat week, and I'm looking for other stuff from whatever style/era you'd call that. Also a big Bing Crosby fan, and tend much more towards trio-based stuff for the most part, not a huge fan of huge band renditions (huge fan of Vince Guaraldi's non-peanuts stuff). Any ideas?