Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain

Skilleddk posted:

I've recently listened to Mojave 3, which sparked my interest in dream pop / shoegaze mixed with country. I really like their album Excuses for Travellers, similar stuff I like is Beach House, Mazzy Star and Wye Oak.

I never found folk rock interesting however, even though it has a lot of similarities. Can someone suggest anything?

Try.. My Morning Jacket (first couple albums) and Cowboy Junkies (The Trinity Sessions)

you could always listen to Slowdive if you haven't already, but it's not really country-ish at all. Maybe Galaxie 500 or Low. Low's album "The Curtain Hit The Cast" is a sort of dark dream pop with some folky songs.

Chikimiki posted:

I recently discovered The XX and I like it a lot, but as they haven't really made a lot of songs, I was wondering if anybody knows something in the same vein... Not even necessarily musically, but with a similar atmosphere.

Well, they sound like Young Marble Giants mixed with The Cure, New Order, and Interpol to me

FetusOvaries fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Knife Fight
Sep 1, 2008

Future #1 Forums Superstar
His is a huge thread so I don't know if it's been said but goddamn the new EP just released by Foster The People is loving amazing. Surprisingly Pumped Up Kicks ISN'T the stand out track. Worth every penny, blast this poo poo on the way to work or as you get ready to go out Friday night.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

FetusOvaries posted:

Well, they sound like Young Marble Giants mixed with The Cure, New Order, and Interpol to me

I already listen to The Cure and Interpol, though I didn't know about the other two (New Order from hearsay). I'll listen to them, thanks!

How dreadful!
Mar 17, 2009

Bellams posted:

Can someone recommend some bands where the vocals are all in German, but that's not metal/gothic/industrial?

Thanks. God, I love that language. :smugdog:
Udo Jürgens - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3amXSFEFxV0 (look up the lyrics, it's a beautiful song) and the entire Schlager genre (look up videos of 60s-70s performances for a laugh).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hello

I'm looking for some artists/bands similar to Quantic, Alice Russel, Belleruche.
Any recommendations?

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start with afropop? It's obviously a MASSIVE genre, but I know next to nothing about it, and wouldn't really know where to start.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

xcdude24 posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start with afropop? It's obviously a MASSIVE genre, but I know next to nothing about it, and wouldn't really know where to start.

I know very little about current afropop, but I quite like the '70s band Osibisa. Start with either their self-titled debut or (my favorite) Woyaya.

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..
I just heard Madlib's Beat Konducta Vol.3, India; where can I get more: awesome indian-themed music, OR awesome indian music?

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

The Bombay Connection is a compilation of "funk from Bollywood action thrillers 1977-1984", try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Z8lz0JQxM

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

xcdude24 posted:

It's not a genre by any reasonable measure... As far as African popular music goes, some of the biggest names are Fela Kuti (afrobeat), Orchestra Baobab (Afro-Cuban music), Tabu Ley Rochereau (soukous (i.e. Congolese rumba)), Franco (soukous), Orchestre Polyrythmo de Cotonou (funk), Mahmoud Ahmed (soul, ethio-jazz), Mulatu Astatqe (ethio-jazz), Prince Nico Mbarga (highlife), Manu Dibango (makossa, jazz-funk), and a million others. Have fun.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Can someone please recommend me songs/bands similar to Telescreen's "Rumors"? http://www.myspace.com/telescreen
I like the second half where the song really "starts". I've tried looking up shoegazing but can't find anything with quite the same energy.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Will someone please recommend me some indie folk (I guess) with heavy/prominent/awesome drums and percussion parts? I mean pretty much exactly like the Dodos' album Visiter (and more specifically "Red and Purple"), all of Local Native's album Gorilla Manor (which is probably the best example), and some of Rogue Wave's Out of the Shadow. White Rabbits would also fit here but I like them far less than the others. Just some indie-folkish things with some pounding drums. Thanks in advance.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

xcdude24 posted:

Get the compilation "The Indestructible Beat of Soweto vol. 1." It's just a sampling of stuff from the first half of the 80's. I think it's very endearing music.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
Get lagos disco inferno for that real poo poo

or actually i think maybe amir's mix on kon & amir off track 3 has the better disco sampling

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

"He is ill clothed that is bare of funk."
--Pimpjammin Funklin
I love the poo poo out of Bowie's Berlin trilogy (especially "Heroes") and Station to Station, as well as Iggy Pop's The Idiot. Are there any other albums with that same detached, Krautrock/funk feel?

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it
I'm looking for some more music like lushlife or just in general hip hop with more relaxed backing tracks. Maybe something like Nujabes?

Additionally, in a similar vein, I'm looking for some good trip-hop tracks/artists. I've been listening to RJD2, DJ Shadow, and Kid Koala and I'm looking into something sort of like this. Thanks in advance!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CinnamonToastFunk posted:

I love the poo poo out of Bowie's Berlin trilogy (especially "Heroes") and Station to Station, as well as Iggy Pop's The Idiot. Are there any other albums with that same detached, Krautrock/funk feel?

Can - Monster Movie probably comes closest.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Captain Frigate posted:

I'm looking for some more music like lushlife or just in general hip hop with more relaxed backing tracks. Maybe something like Nujabes?

Additionally, in a similar vein, I'm looking for some good trip-hop tracks/artists. I've been listening to RJD2, DJ Shadow, and Kid Koala and I'm looking into something sort of like this. Thanks in advance!
that Omega One track kind of reminds me of this track, I think it's mostly the drums but they're not dissimilar imo and I love this song and the album it's on

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Any recommendations for piano based ambient sort of like Nest?

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain

CinnamonToastFunk posted:

Metal Box by Public Image Ltd.

if you've never heard it yet

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Tutu posted:

You may have heard them already, but if not, listen to the two albums Harold Budd and Brian Eno recorded together, Ambient 2: The Plateaux Of Mirror and The Pearl.

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

Dear non-tone-deaf forum goons. Recommend me some deep, sensual sounding cello or other string instrument as primary style music. Doesn't have to be classical, modern pieces appreciated as well.

Something smooth rather than choppy, and ambient but strong, not something to put you to sleep.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
Hey there. I'm looking for something kind of specific, but I figure it can't hurt to try my luck here. I'm looking for songs that revolve around a rise and fall. Political, emotional, physical, literal, or figurative doesn't really matter. Nor does genre. A good example would be Handlebars by the Flobots or (albeit a little sillier) The Complete History Of The Soviet Union, Arranged To The Melody Of Tetris. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Tutu posted:

I'd recommend Deaf Center
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdRUMqds5r8

Eluvium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_HG__6exOE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkD6O0K-kdg

If you want straight piano stuff then I recommend Gonzales' Solo Piano.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Looking for something with a ritualistic feel, like 80s Psychic TV or some of the later live Coil albums (...And the Ambulance Died in His Arms specifically).

proton
Dec 23, 2005
fuck if your leg broke bitch, hop up on your good foot
I can't stop listening to Alison Krauss and Calexico. I want more acoustic based stuff - solid songwriting and solid mastering. I LOVE the amazing soundstage on Krauss' albums. The banjos and mandolins sound unbelievable.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

proton posted:

I can't stop listening to Alison Krauss and Calexico. I want more acoustic based stuff - solid songwriting and solid mastering. I LOVE the amazing soundstage on Krauss' albums. The banjos and mandolins sound unbelievable.

Nina Nastasia.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

gay til death posted:

Looking for something with a ritualistic feel, like 80s Psychic TV or some of the later live Coil albums (...And the Ambulance Died in His Arms specifically).

Maybe some Sleep Chamber?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

proton posted:

Middle Cyclone by Neko Case

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
So I recently heard the song Nephicide from the Find a song thread, apparently quite popular on SA. I was just wondering what is some music that is similar to the dance aspects of the songs, specifically from when the drums kick in to around when the "it's just a feeling" segment starts. Especially the drums, which seem to me to be reminiscent of IDM but arguably... dancier.

A Soothing Lacuna
Aug 12, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Spaceguns posted:

Dear non-tone-deaf forum goons. Recommend me some deep, sensual sounding cello or other string instrument as primary style music. Doesn't have to be classical, modern pieces appreciated as well.

Something smooth rather than choppy, and ambient but strong, not something to put you to sleep.

Boxhead Ensemble's "Nocturnes," although being nocturnes it might be too low-key for you. Fred Lonberg-Holm can play the hell out of a cello. And about 90 other instruments.

A Soothing Lacuna
Aug 12, 2010

by Fistgrrl

gay til death posted:

Have you tried Crash Worship? Start with the live album Espontaneo. I would lose it for months at a time and then have to move again and find it at the bottom of a pile and put it on for three days in a row, it's pure dissociation music.

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

A Soothing Lacuna posted:

Boxhead Ensemble's "Nocturnes," although being nocturnes it might be too low-key for you. Fred Lonberg-Holm can play the hell out of a cello. And about 90 other instruments.

Thanks, checking Fred out as we speak.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Someone find me more music like this beautiful song.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Nosy_G posted:

Someone find me more music like this beautiful song.
Maybe
this one

(Do yourself a favor and don't look at the artist before you hear this. It will probably influence you before you hear it. That one album is a pretty large step away from the rest of the work.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxq37RukKaA

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can anyone suggest songs with messages going along with the populist uprising in Egypt? Viva la revulicion.

capability
Oct 24, 2004

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Can anyone suggest songs with messages going along with the populist uprising in Egypt? Viva la revulicion.

"World Love" - The Magnetic Fields

Amazon Review
Mar 3, 2009

1F YOU B3LI3V3 H4RD 3NOUGH 1N 1M4G1N4RY TH1NGS, TH4T M4K3S TH3M SL1GHTLY L3SS F4K3!
I'm looking for more stuff like The Great Annihilator by Swans, and just more early industrial in general.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Lookin' for some real thug rap poo poo. Not like the 47 Miller Gang stuff but like relentless aggression with gun lines and thug poo poo. I cant think of any artists similar to what I'm lookin'. Hoping he sounds like he just came out of some super ghetto like Camden or like Inglewood rappin' about thug poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

Cobra Commander posted:

Lookin' for some real thug rap poo poo. Not like the 47 Miller Gang stuff but like relentless aggression with gun lines and thug poo poo. I cant think of any artists similar to what I'm lookin'. Hoping he sounds like he just came out of some super ghetto like Camden or like Inglewood rappin' about thug poo poo.

Waka Flocka Flame is pretty much the epitome of knucklehead thug poo poo these days.