Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Are there any artists similar to Andrew Bird? There's Sufjan Stevens, I guess, and M. Ward (who is a bit too low-key for me), but so far I haven't really found any of the acoustic-songwriter-types who sing and write anything like Bird's excellent style. Maybe it's the violin that gives it that extra push.

edit: for music like Explosions in the Sky, the post-rock thread would be a good place to start. That's where I found ...Of Sinking Ships, anyways.

Fecha fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Cart posted:

What's the best record to start with for Django Reinhardt?
Django owns but most albums of him are large compilations. As such, it's kind of hard to go wrong, but also a lot to wade through. "Nuages" is a great album from 1997 with 4 disks, but it doesn't have some of his other best-known classics like Minor Swing or Djangology. It sounds cheesy but "The Definitive Django Reinhardt Collection" has all of his best known stuff right in the first tracks.
I'd also recommend reading some background info on him if you don't know about his life. He was a really interesting character.