Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

screaden posted:

So I'm loving synth/new wave from the 80's right now, I got some "Best Of's" of The Human League, Simple Minds and Tears For Fears, what are some others that are essential?
Duran Duran - Rio
Depeche Mode - Violator
Pet Shop Boys - Actually

You can't define 80's music without those three bands in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Abel Wingnut posted:

I am in need of evil music. I want music that instills fear into its listeners. Not like metal or hard rock, which bash you over the head with its death and power. I'm more looking for the subtly evil bands out there that give a sense of haunt and unease. Underlying creepiness, I guess.

Ideally it would have classical sensibilities and well structured, but I'm open to whatever.

Echo and the Bunnymen, My Blood Valentine, the Zombies in certain songs, Wire in certain songs, Velvet Underground; they all have some of this.

So yea, I know that's a weird description. Hopefully someone understands it and can help.

Thanks in advance.
Elend should work. Its a now disbanded project from two French composers who, for their first trilogy of albums, took inspiration from Milton's Paradise Lost and some Catholic liturgy to create some pretty dark and violent music which puts most metal to shame. I admit it can border on the silly though.

Du tréfonds des ténèbres
The Luciferian Revolution

Their second, and last, trilogy moved away from the synthesizers and the Catholic imagery and a more neoclassical sound i guess, also using a real chamber orchestra instead of relying on synthesizers. It improved their sound a lot, while it retained the violent nature of their songs.

Vision is all that matters
Stasis
Under War-Broken Trees