Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I, unfortunately, have a very limited amount of classical. I have some Bach, Beethoven and even then it's extremely small, because the amount of classical work by either is pretty enormous. I have other mixed stuff that was mostly bought on a complete whim, but I've never really managed to know a damned thing about classical. It's as bad as if I knew not a single rock artist but really liked the whole genre but didn't know where to start.

So, recommend me some way to start really listening to classical. Particular albums to buy, composers, arrangements, which of what era are required listening. Modern or not.

Right now I'm listening to the Corelli Trio Sonatas and enjoying it quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Jadz posted:

Chopin (pronounced Sho-pan) has some pretty good stuff. Personally, I'm a big fan of John Williams (the guy who does the music for tons of movies, including Star Wars).

It depends on what you prefer, really. Do you like up-tempo pieces with lots of brass and percussion? Are you more of a soft strings-and-piano kind of guy? This will make a difference, because certain composers do certain styles better than others.

EDIT:
Personally, I'm a fan of large orchestral pieces. I am of the opinion that this, this and this are the best orchestral pieces ever recorded.

Unfortunately, I rather enjoy both. I can't usually get into the more experimental sorts (I have no examples, but there certainly seems to be some classical that is more like on-key jazz than something melodic or moving), but I love solo piano, strings, harpsichord, huge brass and drum sections, pretty much everything.

I do have some John Williams, but I don't even know where to start with the few big names I know like Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Bach, Mozart, and that's all I can think of. The scope of the work of most composers I can find is completely overwhelming (and not knowing the lingo certainly doesn't help).

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Aturaten posted:

Alright, haven't had much of a chance to listen to the reccomendations, but I've liked what I did so far, with Dvorak's Cello Concerto being my favourite so far. Christ, it's loving beautiful.

I'm new at this (I was the guy that Jadz recommended previously :v:), but if you're going to like Cello, you seriously need to listen to the Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suites. They're all absolutely fantastic. Nothing like the Planets being one instrument and all, but they're still damned good.

More in line with the Planets is Tchaikovsky's 4th symphony, particularly the finale.

The unfortunate side is I find a disappointing majority of classical recordings to be relatively unlistenable. The amount of room hiss in most recordings is extremely distracting. Makes finding all the different iterations a lot easier as you're searching for the best quality though. You'll tend to find the best orchestras/arrangements amidst the search.

Starting to really get into classical is extremely fun though. The scope of it is enormous. Nothing like starting pretty much any other genre. You end up with 10 minute selections that involve complicated foreign words and a thousand different arrangements and conductors and orchestras and...

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

LuckySevens posted:

Anyone know of some bluesy female singers like Fiona Apple? I love that kind of sexy voice and would love to hear some other artists like her.

As said above, those 3 are fantastic (particularly Regina Spektor:swoon:). Katie Melua is great as well. If you want to go more towards Jazz, you can check out Madeleine Peyroux or the like.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 8, 2009

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Garbage Day posted:

Also, here's something you've gotta see as a fan of Fiona's aggressive side: Her cover of Elvis Costello's "I Want You," with Costello joining her on guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiOmhOumh-w

That was fantastic.

She's really, really good live. She played at my college a few years ago, just her and a guitar and it was incredible. Only about 40 people in the theater, too.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Alright, Television, Minutemen and Doctors of Madness. What other really early punk/underground rock (I think that's what Television is. Genre's confuse me) should I look for? Those three off the top of my head all seem to have incredible songwriting and great technical proficiency.

Bonus points if I can find it easily online and also in vinyl.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Zune pass rocks pretty hard. It helps that the software is so good and finding new relevant music is really easy.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I got way into Busdriver recently. Is there anything even remotely similar?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

That's a bitch of a question, because all the easily available albums are horrific bullshit like "Pipes at Christmas" or "Songs of Scotland" or something (I made those up but I'm sure they exist, and probably those exact titles). Some of those are probably actually recorded fairly well these days, but a significant amount are likely awful pipers, terrible music or arrangements and other silly bullshit. Albums of actual pipe bands playing their own sets tend to be the best you'll find on Amazon, but quality is super hit or miss.

In the way of solo pipers, check out:

Gordon Duncan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qurj6sSLigI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EwDlUHoDFo (this is the classic Gordon Duncan some people know, but the dude was so, so much more)

Alasdair Gillies
His actual albums are generally quite good, but slightly hard to find. He's (was) a very notable piper and he shows up on various legitimate recordings of solo competition and such. Everything of him on Youtube is live video. I'm pretty partial to The Northern Meeting cd, which includes various pipers doing solo sets.

Random others you can search for include Murray Henderson, Gordon Walker, Bruce Gandy and Robert Mathieson. That's about I can remember off the top of my head, but there are tons out there. Finding CDs or digital will be pretty mixed. Bagpipe supply websites generally have a bunch as do local places (you'd be surprised).

Competition Band stuff
All of the World Bagpipe Championships Volume (x) end up on CD's and are always absolutely excellent.
For individual bands to search around for, check out Shotts & Dykehead, Simon Fraiser University, Field Marshal Montgomery, Scottish Power, or any from this list in the last 15-20 years. Most good grade 1 and 2 competition bands record a CD or 10 to raise money.

Actual Bands
There's stuff like The Rouges, Wicked Tinkers and a bunch of others I know very little about.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

Alright, I've had a few unsuccessful requests in this thread so far, but I hope you can help me out with this one, because I've still never found a band that excites me in the jittery, noisy way that those first couple of Mae Shi records did. And I'm always searching.

So yeah. I don't even want to hear an exact soundalike, just something with the same kind of excited, lo-fi, tense/noisy/beepy-bloopy sort of intensity about it. Help

This is probably going to be a bit too much, but you could try Melt-Banana.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ6Sk8Aj-SQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLK3TsVoTxQ
They're pretty much exactly what I personally associate with jittery, noisy and excitable. Not exactly approachable for some though :v: