Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I just heard Bedouin Love Song by David Broza on SkyFM, and it's one of the coolest songs I've heard in a while, and I would love to hear more like it. So I guess I'm looking for high-energy music with a middle eastern hebew/arabic sound.

Edit: And can anyone figure out what album that rendition is from? Neither me nor the YouTube uploader seems to be able to.

And in the same vein I recently came across Shpongle, and I really dig the ethnic sound it has going on. Can anyone recommend other electronica (or other "modern genres" or whatever you want to call it) that incorporates ethnic instruments?

Banco De Gaia, DJ Cheb i Sabbah, Afro Celt Sound System, Thievery Corporation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

dgt posted:

Also, any Kraut Rock that isnt Neu!, Faust, Can, Kraftwerk, Amon Duul II, Harmonia, Ash Ra Tempel.

If you're into the more ambient, electronic style of krautrock check out Tangerine Dream, Popol Vuh and Cluster, or pretty much anything Klaus Schulze was involved in. As far as more prog rock type bands, Cosmic Jokers, Triumvirat, Grobschnitt, Agitation Free and Eloy are good.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

cheeseboy posted:

I've recently grown to like what I can only describe as drone-ish punk rock. Bands like No-Age or Boris are kind of what I'm talking about. I'm not really interested anything too metal or heavy though. Anyone have any recommendations for stuff like that?

Check out HEALTH. And I know you said you don't want metally but Sunn O)))) isn't really any more heavy than Boris and they're good, their new stuff is hardly metal-sounding at all, just really droney

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

MooglyGuy posted:

I am currently looking for any songs that are upbeat or "happy"-sounding, and would fit well for a photo / video montage. Two songs that I can think of immediately offhand that at least somewhat fit the bill are:

Young Rascals - Good Loving
BoDeans - Closer To Free

Some more specific criteria that might narrow things down is that I would really prefer that the song have a point at which all of the music and vocals stop, then pick up again after a brief pause. Good Loving fits that bill, but Closer To Free, unfortunately, does not.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

If you don't mind bizarre and occasionally dark lyrics, a lot of Of Montreal songs meet those criteria though a few good ones I can think of off the top of my head are Bunny Ain't No Kind of Rider, Heimsdalgate Like A Promethean Curse and Id Engager

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

teexas posted:

Any suggestions on Philip Glass albums?

Kinda depends on what specific style of work you're looking for (solo piano, orchestral, one of his operas or movie soundtracks, etc). If you're looking for a broad introduction to his work I would get one of his compilation albums, the 'Oevres Majeurs' 2cd one is the only one i have and it's good. Otherwise, my personal favorite is Itaipu / The Canyon, followed by Music in Twelve Parts and the soundtracks to Mishima and Powwaqatsi

also re whoever asked for really ambient sound pulsey stuff, check out Robert Rich, The Orb, Pete Namlook, and Kompakt records pop ambient releases

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 30, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

OrganicRobot posted:

I know this is going to be a hard request, but does anyone know of any band that sounds similar to Menomena? I haven't been able to stop listening to their 3 (really 2) albums.

i've never heard anything quite like Menomena, but their instrumentation is kind of similar to Do Make Say Think and Explosions in the Sky, if you want something with singing they also remind me a bit of Tapes n' Tapes, TV On The Radio and The Hold Steady

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 9, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

I'd love to hear songs in the same vein as Underworld's "Ess Gee".

well that song is basically just an electric piano solo which i'm sure there are a billion of but some stuff that has a similar vibe is Boards of Canada, Brian Eno, The Orb and The KLF, maybe Ulrich Schnauss

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

ramen junkie posted:

What are the biggest or most important trance/progressive house releases that have come out in the past, say, 3-4 years? Used to listen to Sasha & Digweed and Oakenfold in high school, sorta curious to see what's around today.

progressive house has kind of started to splinter off into more minimal-techno inspired scenes and more electro-house inspired scenes, though there are still a handful of djs (zabiela, sasha & diggy, steve lawler, desyn masiello, eric prydz as pryda/cirez d etc) playing some of the same stuff now as they did in the early 00s. hernan cattaneo as mentioned is good, some other fairly new producers to check out: popof, dubfire, paolo mojo, gui boratto, jesse somfay, tigerskin, dusty kid, pole folder, trentemoller, james holden, nic fanciulli, radio slave, nathan fake, jaytech

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 28, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

The Consultant posted:

I've been listening to all sorts of loungy/downtempo/jazz/chillout stuff, everything running the gamut of The Cinematic Orchestra, Thievery Corporation, and long time favorite Bark Psychosis, to more bossa-nova-esque pop stuff like Nouvelle Vague. Now, I love the poo poo out of this genre and have quite a lot of it, but as of late I'm in a bit of a 'electronic mixed with live instrument oriented music sounds like rear end' phase (sup Zero 7, Bonobo, etc), if anyone could recommend me some more live instrument oriented stuff in the genre that would be AMAZING. to be overtly more specific I'm a huge fan of the classy sounding bit at the end of Radiohead - Optimistic that carries into In Limbo.

try Tortoise, United Future Organization, Jaga Jazzist, Liquid Soul and The Brand New Heavies. also maybe Senor Coconut, they don't sound like the end of that radiohead song but they do remind me of Nouvelle Vague and their stuff is live. i have to say though, i'm also a pretty big fan of the genre and from what i've heard the sample-based producers (xploding plastix, wagon christ, thievery corporation etc) making that kind of music are consistently better than the live guys with the exception of Cinematic Orchestra IMO. the live bands tend to sound a lot more like straight up jazz with a hip hop or house beat, or kind of Jamiroquai style funky house with real instruments, not like Ninja Tune Records brand of acid jazz. i don't really see why not playing live instruments bothers you, though, when sampling's done well it either sounds enough like real instruments or is mixed together in an artful way, ideally most of them seem like they want it to sound like a hip hop dj mixing two funk records together which isn't electronic at all. i get what you mean with artists that use a lot of synths and cheesy computery effects though.

Ashenai: Search last.fm for artists tagged with 'eurobeat'
you will thank me for this i promise
also, e-rotic

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 29, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Gahazakul posted:

I have found my self turning to the slight solace of Techno. I have had a soft spot in my heart for Daft Punk for years but that was as far as I reached. Lately mixed in with my normal rotation of gangsta rap from the early nineties, Weird Al, and other folk tunes a gentleman named Bass hunter found his way in. Following his invasion he seems to have sneaked in some strange shniz by Junior/Senior.

So I am at a loss to keep following this techno path of destruction. Honestly I don't even know the difference between techno, house, electronica or what have you. I likes it when its a bit on the fast side, semblance of lyrics are optional.

Edit: lost and loss are not the same word

Read this, it's a pretty good intro to the main different types of electronic music and also has samples of a bunch of different styles
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
for starters, daft punk is in the 'french house' section, junior senior would be some kind of europop or house pop probably, and i don't even really know what basshunter is, besides terrible (maybe hard trance?) so check out those parts of the house and trance maps

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 9, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

I like a shitload of different stuff, and I'm always trying to find good music. Just recently I've found some good stuff through iTunes Genius recommendations, and I'm looking to find stuff in a similar vein.

Mainly:
Random Firl by Late of the Pier (but not their other songs). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_PY...player_embedded
Sleepyhead by Passion Pit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bfseWNmlds
Someone Great by LCD Soundsystem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaYsczkWti0 (although again not really their other stuff)
I guess also The Avalanches are in a slightly similar vein, but not really, though I do like them.

I don't know quite how to classify this sort of stuff exactly, I guess electronic pop but it's not quite as simple as that, as I'm looking for stuff with an interesting and unusual sound.

I'll probably be hitting up this thread with some other requests for other kinds of stuff too. Thanks.

I bet you will like: The Presets, Cut Copy, MGMT, Matt & Kim, Hot Chip, Royksopp, Simian Mobile Disco and !!! This so called 'electro indie' style is extremely popular right now, so listen to college radio or something like KEXP online maybe to hear a good range of it. Also, if you don't have that whole Late of the Pier album, get it, one of my top favorites of 2008.
*edit: wait if you don't like any of lcd soundsystem or late of the pier's other songs then you have weird taste i guess, cause neither of those are particularly standout from the rest of their oeuvre. what exactly is it you like about those songs, because i can't really hear anything in common about them that isn't characteristic of the genre? jw, but check out some of the artists i listed anyway caues you might like some of their songs

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 11, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

to whoever was talking about lcd soundsystem, you're right and i was wrong, i got that song mixed up with a different one and didnt watch the video haha

IS A CRACKBABY posted:

I'm on a huge Beirut/Realpeople kick right now. Anyone got some stuff that's similar???

havent heard Realpeople but for similar to Beirut try Devotchka, The Decemberists and Yeasayer. Maybe also Rufus Wainwright, Man Man and Gogol Bordello.

vvvv Steve Reich is a lot like Philip Glass only better imo. and if you like ghosts try Brian Eno. but 'emotional instrumental music' is a pretty wide genre. try looking up ambient, space rock, post rock, new age, classical, folk and yes, jazz (what you're thinking of as easy listening is only one tiny fraction of a genre that ranges from dancey to smooth to funky to insanely experimental), and see if any of those specifically are more along the lines of what you're looking for and you might get some better reccomendations

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 13, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

CinnamonToastFunk posted:

I'm looking for some upbeat, early jazz like Cab Calloway and Django Reinhardt. Completely different styles, but I want that same kind of bounce that their stuff has. Nothing after 1940, so no cool/smooth sax-and-pad poo poo that you hear at 11 PM on the radio with a deep-voiced DJ, please.

well for big names you've got Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Gene Krupa, Count Basie, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald... but honestly i'd suggest tracking down a Swing/Big Band or Jazz Standards multi-cd compilation. the trouble with exploring that period of time through different artists is that there were a lot of different people all collaborating with each other covering a lot of the same old songs, and the regional scenes all had their own interesting flavors and it's easier to absorb as a whole, wide genre than getting albums of hits by one bandleader or singer in particular. Also most artists did a mix of slower, ballady type crooner songs with the real upbeat dancey stuff. Have you seen the Jazz documentary by Ken Burns? He goes into a lot of the notable artists of that era. Also read up on Tin Pan Alley.
PS: writing off all modern jazz just because of the stuff you hear on the radio, is as ignorant and closed minded as those old dudes who say that all rock music post 1978 or whatever sucks, just saying. also the swing era was still going strong into the 40s...

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 17, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

dongsweep posted:

Don't think this warrants a thread and this is the most appropriate place to ask: are there any websites that give an updated list of good club/dance music? Whenever I go to a bar I always hear songs that don't get popular for another few weeks, would like to stay ahead of the curve.

Just seems like every google result is someone on a board requesting songs, and the posts are from months ago etc.

most djs have a wide range of various specific weekly charts by other djs, blogs, and newssites they read, or keep an eye on the weekly top downloads in their pet genre on Beatport, also getting monthly updates from record labels you like, there's not one particular place you can go for a 'cheat sheet' of all the new music especially just for 'dance music' as a whole and not any one specific style. a good place to start if you like house or techno though is Resident Advisor.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

any advice on choral composers or vocal groups that explore atonality and harmonic texture? i guess what I'm imagining in my head is not so much the sort of 'non-singing' / making mouth noises or rhythmic kind of vocal experimentation but real tone based, sort of like that kind of muslim unison prayer chanting or droning like gregorian kind of stuff but with a modernist or atonal approach, like experimenting with the way that slightly off-tune harmonies make that sort of 'bumpy' frequency and stuff.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

funkcroquet posted:

i gotta say I don't REALLY have a good frame of reference for what you want based on your examples, but what do you think of this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXjilKOyzow

yeah this is good especially the first passage up until 2:25 or whatever, ive heard orchestral stuff from messaien, stockhausen & xenakis but somehow i didnt think to look up if they had done choral works, i'll start with them but if you have any cool other recommendations along these lines esp smaller ensemble stuff, or where a good place to research is?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Gulp of Mexico posted:

Can anyone help me find another song similar to this one? I've gone through tags/similar bands but all of the poo poo doesn't sound the same. For example, I look at the different genre's listed for the song, and all of the songs under that genre sound different from this one to me. I'm mainly looking for a similar feel of the song, how it builds up using the different sounds. I like how there are different "layers" of beats. I know nothing about music, so this post sucks.

What I DON'T want is a song that builds up, but is completely boring throughout the first couple minutes. I want a song that builds up to certain peaks, but still remains very rich throughout.

Song is Dynamic Symmetry by BT (only looking for something similar to the first four minutes of the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uNEQ3nsFbE

I get what you're saying, but the problem is this is one of the conventions of electronic dance music, especially house and trance - because of the way it's meant to be enjoyed, in a live set mixed together by a dj, the first couple minutes and last minutes are going to be less interesting because they're going to end up being 'in the mix', being played at the same time as another track, and if both of them were rich from the get go it would be jarring. You're just either going to have to get over it, skip over the first couple minutes of songs when you're listening, or listen to 'radio mix' versions of tracks, or maybe buy/download entire live dj sets rather than individual tracks.

Stuff similar to that BT song though, check out Plaid, mu-ziq, Squarepusher or mum. this is closer to downtempo / IDM than most of bt's typical stuff which is maybe why you didn't like the given reccomendations.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 24, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Green Puddin posted:

Remembering yesteryear, I did a search for some music from The Avalanches group. If you don't remember them, look up Since I Left You or Frontier Psychiatrist for some examples. Anyway, realizing I like this kind of stuff, I have two questions. The first being, are there any other bands like this? And secondly, did these guys just vanish off the face of the earth or what?

They haven't released anything after that album, my guess would be that it was just a pet project by a couple of sound engineers or something. However, Wikipedia suggests that they've got a new album that's coming out soon that they're waiting for samples to clear on for, so cross your fingers for that I guess.

The only artist I can think of off hand who's really similar both in mood and production technique is Luke Vibert / Wagon Christ. If the thing you like about The Avalanches is the way everything is made from sampling, you might want to try Kid Koala, maybe even The Evolution Control Committee and Tape-Beatles. But if you're just looking for groovy lounge music then try Thievery Corporation, The Herbaliser or RJD2.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Chairman Moo posted:

I'm looking for something similar to the Sneaker Pimps post Becoming X. Splinter is one of my favorite albums and I have not been able to find anything that sounds like it... Any suggestions?

Morcheeba, Portishead, Thievery Corporation, Massive Attack, Tricky

*edit: wait, I'm getting splinter and becoming x mixed up. actually I don't know, I'll have to listen to it again when I get home and edit this post, sorry

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

tranceMiNuS posted:

I'm making a playlist, and so far I have:
Beautiful Drug - Thievery Corporation <-- Epitome of the style I'm looking for
Talk Show Host - Radiohead
Six Underground - Sneaker Pimps
The Fuel - Sneaker Pimps

Basically, I'm looking for stuff that's sexy, downtempo, probably kind of triphoppy - stuff to shoot heroin and have sex to. Pandora has mostly been giving me meh stuff, any recommendations?

Portishead, Cinematic Orchestra, Tricky, Nightmares on Wax, Bonobo, Amon Tobin

Zigmidge: Unfortunately I don't know of any good blogs / news sites covering lounge music, but what I used to do when I was spinning it and needed to find new artists was go label hopping, find an artist or compilation album you like (ministry of sound's chillout comps are good for a wide variety of popular stuff) and get random stuff from other artists signed to their label. It sounds like you're pretty familiar with Ninja Tune, so maybe try Eighteenth Street Lounge Music (thievery corp, ursula 1000, mm&w), Azuli (nouvelle vague, groove armada, lots of deep house), Mo' Wax (unkle, dj krush, dj shadow, blackalicious) and some of Warp's more downtempo stuff (luke vibert, seefeel, plaid). most labels also send out a monthly or weekly newsletter with new releases, events, merchandise and stuff. not sure if you'll like these but from the artists you posted it sounds like we have pretty similar taste so you can PM me too if you have plat.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 21, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Secx posted:

I'm really interested in the use of violin mixed with contemporary music. Stuff like Nuttin but stringz (hip hop) and Vanessa Mae (techno).

Any other similar artists ?

Check out Owen Pallett also known as Final Fantasy (not the video game, goons!) he makes kind of indie pop / baroque pop and is also a really impressive solo violinist, he also does the string stuff for Arcade Fire. i cant really think of other bands with JUST violin but some that have songs with string sections are Rachel's, Belle & Sebastian, Andrew Bird, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Rufus Wainwright, The National and Arcade Fire as previously mentioned. Actually check out basically anything described as Baroque Pop as it's basically chamber music + indie pop rock, and a good number of bluegrass, celtic or gypsy folk fusion bands have fiddlers in them too if that's more your style (Gogol Bordello, DeVotchKa, The Decemberists, The Corrs, etc)

on a slightly stranger bent, try Frog Pocket - celtic fiddle mixed with IDM/breakcore

vvv (long belated edit but one of the posts below reminded me i forgot Beirut who is also excellent!)

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 25, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

Looking for a few things.

Firstly, stuff along the lines of Guy J, Hernán Cattáneo, Gui Boratto and especially 16 Bit Lolitas. Really like the progressive/electro and sometimes minimal sound these guys have and I'd definitely be intrested in more recommnedations. Lay it on me NMD!

have you checked out the labels Guy J, Hernan, 16 Bit Lolitas and Gui Boratto are primarily associated with (bedrock, renaissance, anjunadeep and kompakt respectively)? Cause they're all excellent and specialize in different aspects of this sound, get a few different compilation albums. Also, other artists that they include in their DJ mixes, and people who have remixed them. The style you're talking about is THE music pretty much all over Europe right now so it's really difficult for me to just throw out a couple names when there's so drat much of it out there, but try Tigerskin, Fairmont, Glimpse, Jesse Somfay and Stephan Bodzin.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

Brilliant cheers for the recommendations. Bodzin is loving incredible and I'd heard a little of Fairmont (although he seems more in the Nathan Fake/The Field sort of sound...whatever that is) but the others are great.

I'm in New Zealand and we don't seem to bring those sort of acts over here unfortunately- more of the cheese producers and the oldies like Sasha/Digweed etc. I don't mind the latter but I've seen them play many times before so I'd like something fresh. I'd loving kill to see 16 Bit Lolitas play. Have you seen them yourself?

nah i have pretty much the same problem being in Seattle, I have seen Gui Boratto though and he's ace

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

the posted:

Looking for disco/french house. Anything that brings the funk. Daft Punk/Justice is somewhat long the lines, but I'm really looking for something with more soul and disco samples. Gay club music, probably.

Examples include, but are not limited to, Houzecrushers - Touch me, Kingpinz - On My Knees, Freemasons - When you touch me.

Artist suggestions would be good, singles would be great. Looking to build a collection here.

david guetta, stardust, dimitri from paris, bob sinclar, antoine claraman. the dutch, german, french and italian funky house / disco house scenes cross over a lot though so if you're interested in non french producers also try mousse t, armand van helden, olav basoski, erick morillo and kid creme. if you just want hits though try and track down one of ministry of sound's ibiza or summer compilations from like 1998-2005 (electro has gotten way more popular than funky/disco in the past couple years)

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 30, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Poop Delicatessen posted:

I'm looking for some good experimental rock, the weirder the better. Recently, one of my brothers hooked me up with some Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, and I'm looking for anything remotely similar.

miasma & the carousel of headless horses, mr bungle & other mike patton stuff (fantomas, tomahawk), naked city, idiot flesh, secret chiefs 3, if you like frank zappa and captain beefheart sort of stuff then try the avant-prog/rock in opposition guys (henry cow, art bears, univers zero etc)

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

guppy posted:

What's some good aggressive-sounding electronica along the lines of the Prodigy?

crystal method, chemical brothers, hexstatic, overseers, junkie xl (there is much much more aggressive stuff out there though in a variety of genres - acid techno, hard techno, gabba, breakcore, noise, hard house & trance, etc - anything with 'hard' or 'core' or 'hardcore' in the name is probably a good bet, except happy hardcore)

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

i just say 'dance music' for stuff like house and techno and 'electronic' if i'm including stuff like ambient or experimental or video game soundtracks that isn't really dancey, those shouldn't piss anyone off fwiw.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Splash Damage posted:

I should have mentioned that I was looking for European (Preferrably east-European) folk music with instruments like accordion, some "hey-hey" singing and stuff like that.

There's still a shitload of that, have you even gone to the ethnic/folk section at the store or on amazon or anything? There's at least a hundred 'gypsy folk' compilations from Roma bands and other bands/series that get into the wide range of folk traditions in eastern europe, start with a general one and then explore individual countries and ethnic groups (klezmer, turkish folk, hungarian, baltic stuff, russian and former USSR, etc all have distinct sounds and styles though the chord progressions and instruments may be similar). Taraf de Haidouks is a good start. The "hey hey hey" thing is more common in Russian music though.

*edit for more helpful: i'm not trying to be mean it's just that looking for the 'best' folk bands is kind of pointless because the best ones are most likely gonna be living in a village you've never even heard of with no cds released, and pretty much the ones who got famous are all excellent instrumentalists with a good grasp of the traditional songs in their region, but the history and stuff is all going to be somewhat faked and whitewashed for marketing in the west, it's difficult to know whether what you're getting is 'authentic' if you're not a folklorist but even the 'unauthentic' music is still going to sound like what you want

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 4, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

bumpizza posted:

I want some smooth soulful house like that of Dubtribe Sound System.

miguel migs, mark farina's mushroom jazz series of mixes, andy caldwell, kaskade, anything from om records basically. as far as non san francisco stuff try silicone soul, crazy penis, ian pooley, shakedown and the label deep dish

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 13, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

di.fm ... there's a ton of sites with better dj mixes and more genres but they're usually podcasts or downloads rather than streaming

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I was at a lounge recently, and the DJ was playing a lot of what resembled Latin jazz but with hip-hop-esque beats backing it up. Pretty minimalist stuff, with some solo trumpet backed up by beats, etc.

Any recommendations for something loungey/jazzy with a Latin vibe and hip-hop beat track?

For instrumental loungey stuff, try Amon Tobin and Bonobo. If you don't mind more upbeat music with rapping/singing, a lot of reggaeton uses jazzy samples. Other than that, unmm... i've heard some recent pop music from Brazil that influenced both by jazz like samba and bossanova with a hiphop or house beat, I don't know any particular artists but maybe you could just look up random stuff from the Brazilian pop/dance charts... Sergio Mendez and will.i.am released an album called Timeless that is a mix of hiphop and bossa, it's okay, but i'm sure there's better stuff out there if you dig.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Timelord posted:

I'm looking to get into some older classical music. I can hazard a guess that I should listen to some Bach, Joplin, and Mozart.. But I don't quite know where to go from there.

I do know that I like more melodic and rhythm based songs than the grans expositions that you would get from a play's soundtrack.

Again my memory is quite fuzzy and I'm obviously not very versed in this area.

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about with the 'play's soundtrack' business but why not try a classical compilation series? A good place to look is the local library, you can borrow a CD and then *ahem* it... Most composers have a fairly characteristic style that their works follow and in a 300 year old music it's not like there's going to be anyone new, hot and obscure you're missing out on. If you just want random names, Beethoven, Haydn and Schubert should definitely up there in the classics with Mozart and Bach, a few of my favorite later romantic composers are Tchaikofsky, Grieg, Chopin, Berlioz and Mendelssohn, and if you think you might like opera (hint: it's awesome) check out Verdi, Bizet, Wagner and Puccini, as well as Mozart's The Magic Flute (my favorite work by him).

I'm still not entirely sure what Joplin has to do with this (I'm assuming you're talking about Scott and not Janice, unless there's a classical composer named Joplin I've never heard of) but his stuff is pretty standard ragtime, so along those lines try Joseph Lamb and Greg Scott

*edit: forgot a couple*

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 1, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Try Arcade Fire and The National

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Van or Astrovan posted:

I'm looking for something like the album Silent Movie by Quiet Village, plese help me

(awesome album) check out recloose, lindstrom & prins thomas, luke vibert/wagon christ, morgan geist and air france

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Three things.

1. What is some good modern funk, or funk like music? I've been listening to Prince's Lotus Flowers (which is really, really loving great, I'd place it behind some of his classic albums its so good) and Jamiroquai a lot lately. I ask for modern, because I have plenty classic funk.

2. I want some metal that is extremely fast and heavy, but not death metal and with usually clean vocals. Something like Strapping Young Lad.

3. I've also been listening to Butterfingers, and I like them and want some more Australian or UK hip hop (thats not grime)

1. Is 'classic funk' 60s-70s or also including 80s? If not, check out Herbie Hancock, Zapp, The SOS Band, Talking Heads is pretty funky too. Not a lot of pure funk around these days (Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings are good) but some fusion artists i like with funk influences are Liquid Soul, Medeski Martin & Wood, Victor Wooten, Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra and Los Amigos Invisibles. I don't know how low your pop tolerance is but some of Amy Winehouse's backing music is pretty drat funky and fun too. Good hip hop artists that sample funk music include De La Soul, Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

FalconGuy016 posted:

I know very very little about techno or electronica (?) music but I always enjoy it when I hear a really chill "techno" song. Maybe chill trance song? I don't know. I'd like to get into that world but I don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend me anything?

Gui Boratto, The Field, Orbital, Portishead, Banco De Gaia, Royksopp

Yoghurt posted:

I'd also like to hear a lot more along the lines of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWbpmVZjswQ if at all possible so I'll add my voice to this chorus

still looking for african rap as well :)

If you like this song try Flying Lotus and Bassnectar. Dunno about african rap but I like Buraka Som Sistema a lot which is a Portuguese electro-hip-hop band with strong West African and Brazilian influences.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Ishkur is a FOAF and he's a pretty cool guy in real life, he's kind of moving away from the scene though and focusing on his career like most ppl his age which is why his guide hasn't been updated in the last few years. I disagree with his taste and some of the way he's organized things, but honestly I still think his guide is a great way to get a general idea of the difference between the major genres and what influences and cross-influences they have, it's funny if not entirely accurate, and it has loving samples which puts it miles ahead of pretty much every other music guide (even Wikipedia isn't as easy and as quick to use). I would certainly reccomend someone click a few random bubbles in the 'house' section before they download a mix of house music not even knowing what it is that they might end up hating

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 18, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

CinnamonToastFunk posted:

I need new New Wave. I love the poo poo out of Talking Heads, early Gary Numan, B-52's, Santigold, Eurythmics, and Klaus loving Nomi (seriously I have listened to his self titled album at least 30 times in the past year), but I'd like some new artists along those lines (heavy reliance on synths, odd vocals).

a lot of good ones have been listed but i'll add Pet Shop Boys, Yazoo, Kraftwerk, Human League, early INXS and Roxy Music

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

neckbeard posted:

Recently I've been binging on European symphonic metal and was looking for some recommendations on some classical orchestral music. As I don't really listen to classical music at all I really don't know how to be less vague, but if someone could recommend some symphonies that would appeal to a metal head, that would be great.

Try Verdi's Requiem, Tchaikofsky's 4th Symphony, Shostakovich's 5th Symphony, Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, Beethoven's 3rd Symphony, and Wagner's Valkyrie, they all get very :black101: and canon examples people might call the most 'epic' orchestral works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

doctor iono posted:

I asked a few pages back, but I didn't get an answer, probably because the initial post was too vague.

Can I get any recommendations in hip-hop based on the Gorillaz album Demon Days, specifically similar to the tracks Dirty Harry or November Has Come, although I really love every track on the album, and I'm willing to go in any direction.

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien (or the group he was in, Hieroglyphics), Roots Manuva, De La Soul, Gnarls Barkley, Pharcyde, N.E.R.D. / The Neptunes, MF Doom, Chali 2na