Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 31, 2012

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Final Fart Buttball posted:

It's not exactly LIKE Passion Pit but I think that Royksopp would be something you'd like too

Will do--thanks as well etard kinevel, I know and like MGMT and M83 but I'll try Cut Copy

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Killfast37 posted:

I love M83. I find myself chilling with them and listening to Lower Your Eyelids to Die With the Sun to fall to sleep at night. I find most of their music relaxing. What other groups would I like?

M83 has come up a few times in here, and though they are an electronic act they borrow a lot from the shoegaze genre, especially the more dreamy/floaty shoegaze like Slowdive (as opposed to noisier stuff like MBV, Ride etc.). Also, look into post-rock ish stuff if you haven't already (sigur ros, explosions in the sky, mogwai).

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Violent J Mascis posted:

Is Tom Waits close at all to what you have in mind?

ahaha the loving title.

Um, I came here looking for recommendations along the line of something like Black Tambourine. I've been meaning to look into that sort of late 80's early 90's noisy-pop with the driving bass, basically what Pixies epitomized. I'm going to get some J&MC soon but what else is required for this genre/era?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Master_Odin posted:

What are good Noise Pop/Rock groups? I've been getting into No Age recently and would like bands like them (or more hardcore noise poppy if that makes sense is fine). Dum Dum Girls is also a band I enjoy and fits that description as well I believe.

Obviously, The Jesus and Mary Chain, but also The Shop Assistants, Black Tambourine, The Manhattan Love Suicides. Sparse obvious list I know but those are the ones I enjoy within the genre I think you're going for.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Behonkiss posted:

My recommendation's a little weird, but I've noticed two songs that I like both use a really unique sound in their beginning. I assume it's some sort of guitar or sound technique, but I have no clue what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJy5z8IqoA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO7tVypeYAo
(Both videos start with it)

And to fit this thread's criteria, what are some cool alternative songs that use this sound?

That sound isn't really what I would call 'unique' at all, it's a basic guitar tone that the Strokes the Hives and a bunch of other cool alternative groups that I'm sure others are more familiar with make heavy use of in their sound.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

PoisonedV posted:

Last.FM does tours quite well, although it will be some extra effort to add in all your artists.

Really? Doesn't last.fm just kinda suck all of your play histories into it's brain and after loading, it immediately knows who your most played/etc are?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I'd like to delve further into noise or noise rock/pop. Any recs for cornerstones of the genres?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Aw come one you got to give me more leeway than that, het.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I have some BHS from electriclarryland backwards already, never delved into Jesus Lizard/Big Black too far but guess I will now. Lately I've been on pop/twee sort of J&MC inspired stuff like the pastels and black tambourine etc. as well as of course sonic youth. Great recs though guys, liking Shellac and Swans.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 15, 2010

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

sixteenstraws posted:

Tar

Yep. Also whoever mentioned Jane from Occupied Europe, pretty neat, thanks.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Iraff posted:

I'm loving Black Tambourine recently. Can anyone recommend some of the noisy twee stuff? I already know about The Pains of Being Pure at Heart.

Manhattan Love Suicides, the Pastels, the Shop Assistants, Dum Dum Girls

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

rideANDxORdie posted:

I'm a huge fan of Hot Water Music and their contemporaries. Lately I've wanted to get into their influences, namely Leatherface and Husker Du. If anyone could point towards quintessential albums or songs by those bands I would greatly appreciate it. There's simply too much material for me to figure out where to start.

"Zen Arcade" for Husker Du and "Mush" for leatherface are the 'general consensus' quintessentials, I also like New Day Rising from Husker Du and Warehouse: Songs and Stories (although that's much later Husker Du and probably not the place to start.) I don't know much else about Leatherface though.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

kingcobweb posted:

X

X rules, also The Mummies are the best band possibly?? Probably.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 29, 2011

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Ras Het posted:

Marquee Moon is so devastatingly dull, flaccid and lifeless that it certainly deserves its classic status right next to Led Zeppelin, Graceland and Lou Reed's solo albums. Classic. Total classic.

The idea is, I think, that Marquee Moon isn't Zep, but that's good enough.

I mean I'm totally down with that record but it's only because I'm not bored with it quite yet. Check it

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Umbriago posted:

I'm looking for great lyricists. I'm already into Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Shane MacGowan, Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen, The Smiths, John Prine, Woody Guthrie.

Who am I missing?

john darnielle (the mountain goats) ??

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Douche Bag posted:

How about some lo-fi,sloppy, three chord rock? Something like Cheap Time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9uR15dXCbQ

The Mummies were the sloppiest band at the lowest of fis, maybe used four chords though.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Is there any worthwhile Gary Numan records between The Pleasure Principle and Jagged? These are the only two I know, and while I like certain tracks off each, both albums follow a sort of 'variations on a theme' flow where each track is very similar.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Try other kinda early 90s stuff like Superchunk and Archers of Loaf?

Question for me: Who else is good from Homestead Records if I know and like the basic obvious choices?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

funkybottoms posted:

I've been listening to AoL pretty frequently lately.

For Homestead I like: The Frogs, Volcano Suns, Squirrel Bait, Seam, and Big Black (assuming Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr are "obvious")

yeah big black SY and dino jr were the big ones. I'll check out some others. I like some Phantom tollbooth too.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Pretty sure this guy is looking for Low.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B1BrLiKMss&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ox-C4nb6-8

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Rollersnake posted:

Oh, thank you for this. I love what post-punk I've heard, but haven't ventured into it much beyond the obvious bands.

I have but I've apparently missed out on Shoppers, which loving rules, so thanks for that.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

The Random Hero posted:

I am a big fan of poo poo like Alkaline Trio's (HAR HAR EMO) OLD stuff, such as Goddammit. I'm having a fairly hard time finding similar artists, and would appreciate a little input here. I am familiar with a few allegedly similar artists such as the Maine and Against Me!

Basically, can someone kindly point me towards some rough-sounding punk with darker themes? (yes, I am aware of the Misfits. :frog: )

going off "rough sounding punk w/ dark themes":

this is a little confusing because the misfits aren't rough sounding at all, very melodic, but maybe you'd like naked raygun? or the germs, subhumans (uk), the effigies, hot snakes, the mummies, flipper? I'm just spitballing here.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
You might like Unwound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc30f4X-uPE

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Great Lakes Log posted:

I recently listened to the Myths S/T and immediately fell in love with it and wanted something similar, but my usual scouring of last.fm and review websites yielded nothing substantial. I would love to listen to more of this just appalling electronic sound but I really don't know where to look. Any help?

I hope you get some direction on this, I've been playing that album in cycles it's so good. "Vocal acrobatics over twisted electronic music" is a weird thing to find.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Attention Horse posted:

I've been looking for something similar to Mint Julep for months, and I still can't find anything. Their last album and EP is fantastic and I would love to find something like this band. It's kinda dream-pop mixed with some synthpop and shoegaze. Few songs:

Mint Julep - Invisible Waves

Mint Julep - To The Sea

Mint Julep - No Letting Go

Any ideas?

earlier M83, something from saturdays=youth or before the dawn heals us.

like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkxGI6q_K7U ???

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 9, 2012

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
If you really like Siamese Dream there's no reason no to get into My Bloody Valentine, specifically Loveless. SD is so heavily influenced by it it's crazy, the only thing missing are noodly pentatonic guitar solos but who gives a crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9-NOIalUYU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

sugar free jazz posted:

Could anyone give some suggestions on some experimental/ambient/noise type music? I've been listening to the same stuff for a while now and I'm looking to branch out to some new musicians or artists or whatever. I'm looking for stuff in the range of Alva Noto's albums Xerrox Vol.2 and Transform, and also like everything else by Alva Noto, Aube's track Metal Cicada, and the album The Return of Fenn O'Berg. Grooveshark, Pandora etc seem to go nutty with these artists and suggest Boards of Canada or something and make finding new stuff a bit of a bitch to do.

Complete shot in the dark on this one, but if anyone has suggestions on experimental turntablism stuff like Strotter Institute that'd also be rad, because they're pretty rad and own bones live.

Sorry if the genres don't exactly match up with the musicians, can't always tell what this poo poo counts as.

Someone from this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3407937 might pop in with some specific suggestions, but you could poke around in the things posted there, seems like a lot of good stuff

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Wipers seems right up your alley, along with quite a few of those suggestions as well but I'd get right on Wipers for sure.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Yoshifan823 posted:

Can someone reccoment me more good indie/dance/synth/lo-fi/surf pop in the vein of Tennis, Summer Camp, Best Coast, Hospitality, Chairlift, Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Real Estate, Telekinesis, etc?

try anything that goes with the twee moniker, but for more lo-fi/surf pop indie stuff, start with Black Tambourine, Raveonettes, Dum Dum Girls, Vivian Girls, Hunx + his Punx

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

msinclair posted:

What are the essential/best Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds albums?

I often ask this even though I already listen to some of the Seeds, but I think it's something like From Her to Eternity, Your Funeral My Trial, Tender Prey, and Murder Ballads making up my choice four, but others with more versed opinions might lend better insight (I haven't heard Kicking Against the Pricks, The Firstborn is Dead, or Henry's Dream).

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
On "Henry's Dream" at least Nick Cave with his big growly voice takes "dark country" to a new level of blackness, the first song describes a murder pretty gruesomely and I forget about the rest but maybe that? There's always Murder Ballads, too.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Agreed, you could do worse than doing a progression of Please Kill Me -> Our Band Could Be Your Life -> Rip It Up and Start it Again for what I think is an interesting time in American rock/underground/punk from 67 to about 89, something I find interesting at least. if you are in school check the music section of the library maybe for books like these, that's what I did anyhow.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Ziltoid posted:

That song has a pretty punk feel. Maybe some Dead Kennedys?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yczay_QROyA

this or a Big Black, but they were very occasionally overtly dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHzKD070cy8

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
these guys have an ep out that I thought sounded similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P9t0eU_drQ

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The Vandelles are kind of somewhere in between, you could try that.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Also quite a bit of the mountain goats's catalog has similar themes, if you've not already dug into that. Too many to mention/recall

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
"Martin's Story" and "Split Red" by the Minutemen are both 53 seconds and probably could be cut for time, why do you need these though that's so weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
you might like MYTHS.