Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
SO after hearing "Brooks was here" in every movie trailer remix/mashup, I want more of that style Thomas Newman.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I can listen to the Underworld instrumetals on the SUnshine soundtrack all day long, but I don't like their songs with vocals.

Which albums or songs are like 'Last Message Home' from Sunshine?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 19, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

kinkster posted:

Two minutes into a song called Graphic Designer by Electric Six, something really cool happens. I don't know what to describe it as, but if you listen to it it's easy to find the transition

so ya, looking for stuff similar to that second half of that song

Click here to listen to 11-electric_six-graphic_designer.mp3

I have no idea if they are still around, but the Residents might be something worht looking into for you.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Dadjacket posted:

Lots of people are going to recc you Coheed and Rush, but what you REALLY need to check out is the album The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway by Genesis. It's 100% the greatest prog-rock album ever made, it's got a narrative running through it, and the music loving rules.

That is the first time I have ever heard that album recommended to anyone. I thought you had to be introduced to it by stoner friends. Or in my case, friend's stoner dad.

If you are recommending Lamb Lies Down, then I am recommending 'Tales from Topographic Oceans', and 'Olias of Sunhillow'. Because if you are going to go 70's art rock, those should be on the list. I have no idea if they are accessible without drugs.

'Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' is awesome. It is amazing to hear how much alike Phil Collins and Peter Garbiel sound when they sing. It is even more amazing to think that Phil Collins was part of that album. It's kind of like if you found out Ke$ha was the bassist for P-Funk.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

kngpns posted:

I'm not sure what the soundtrack parts you are mentioning sounds like and I'm not much of a Clutch listener myself,

Clutch defies blanket description if you take their whole output. Wicker is one of my favorite songs, and I went loking for more like that, and they ended up being a country rock band.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Juttman posted:

Recently, I've been really into Paul Simon's Graceland album. Can anybody think of any similar sounding albums or bands that play a similar style to that?

If you can find the albums, the WOMAD releases pretty much invented World Music as a genre. Everyone non-Western that has appeared on anyone's releases, or got their own releases got their first breaks with those albums, and the following concert series.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

screaden posted:

The other guy who suggested Michael Hedges was close, but everything about that guy is so cheesy, the 80'sness of his clothing and his new age image is really off putting. No doubt, the guy had amazing talent but still.

Pretty much all of Windham Hill is like that: Don't ever look at them, or you will never want to listen to their music again.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Smoove J posted:

I just heard Crystal Castles - Doe Deer, and it's seriously the best stuff I've heard in years.

Why I love this thread. Thanks for pointing towards that song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMjKmUGGCLA&feature=related Same sogndifferent video.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 30, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Smoove J posted:

I've had this song on repeat since I posted yesterday and I think I'm going A LITTLE CRAZY but it's all good because it's this song! Someone said that 'Death From Above 1979' is like this but it's not true. This song is its own recommendation, a spiraling recommendation collapsing in on itself only to explode not unlike the Big Bang, creating its own infinite potential universe.

I agree with you on this. I tried some of their other music, and, meh. But this one song is the perfect collision. I don't even like this style of music. It's just this one song. I sometimes wish artists would recognize that one perfect song is enough, and make like a thrity minute version of the song, rather than trying to fill up the rest of the space with things that are not as good.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

One of the things I liked about living in Japan is that the music used in Advertisements was always credited in the lower part of the screen.

If they did that in America, I would already know about Jackson and his Computer Band which I apparently heard many times.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Can anyone recommend some contemporary classical composers similar in style to Clint Mansell and Abel Korzeniowski in their scores for The Fountain and A Single Man?

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpmfvq6x_ac

SOundtracks are likely where you are going to find modern 'classical' music.

Moon and Sunshine are both pretty wonderful, but they use electronic instrumentation as well. I assume you have delved into Clint Mansell's other works, and looked into E.S. Posthumous as well?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Louis Riel posted:

These guys omg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqn2QMD3ZSE/

That was really cool , and then the saxophone came out. Saxophones and violins hurt my ears.

Interesting picture for them on Wikipedia for 'jazz collective' though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_(Norwegian_band)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 12, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Cobweb Heart posted:

Sorry if this has been mentioned or if this isn't the right thread, but... have there been any fusions of reggae and death metal? Listening to people like XACKSECKS (lol obscure electronic musics), who sample reggae and some growls extensively, gave me the idea.

I guess that's a pretty stupid idea, but...

it's not death metal and reggae but you have heard of Bad Brains' 'I against I' right?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Business Octopus posted:

Can anybody recommend some more stuff like Remain in Light (Talking Heads)? I'm really digging the dancier stuff on the earlier part of the album and I don't know where else to look for rock/African polyrhythm combinations.

E: I already have and enjoy Discipline

How are you connecting those two, through the Adrian Belew thing? (or are you talking about a different Discipline?)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Business Octopus posted:

Yeah there's the Belew connection with his amazing guitar work, but both albums have these intricate rhythms that are fun to dance to (yes I have danced to King Crimson, shut up).

You should probably work your way around Belew's session work: He has worked with everyone from Peter Gabriel (I think) to Nine Inch Nails, and it seems like every time he is in the studio he brings some of whatever he has got with him.

I love his first two solo albums (but not so much his later solo stuff), and for a long time, I just looked to whatever he had played session work on to guide me to something new.

Peter Gabriel's Security (to me) has some of the same feel as Remain in Light.
Oh and Laurie Anderson's Mister Heartbreak. (but not her other stuff)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 21, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

_Leviathan_ posted:

I'm looking for some funk recommendations. I'm a big fan of:

Kool and The Gang
Tower Of Power
Sly and the Family Stone
James Brown
Galactic
Parliament
The Meters

I'm looking for more of that kind of funk music. Thanks.

You know, the Commodores have their serious funk moments. You do have to wade through some "Quiet Storm" moments to get to them but.

Earth, Wind, and Fire?

Also Rick James, bitch. (has that ever been appropriate to say before?) And his protege Teena Marie, but that is not horn based funk which it sounds like you are leaning towards.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I've been loving acoustic guitar + one or two voices lately, i.e. Iron & Wine's "Such Great Heights": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKGHkBComjM
I've already gotten recommendations for Bon Iver and The Microphones, which I'm also liking. Any idea who else is similar?

If piano is allowed, your options open up.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

qrj posted:

... and technically the Dead Boys are an Ohio band even though they did move to NYC. :v:

I was going to say that, and recommend rummmaging around in the Pere Ubu family tree as well. But then I realized that even though Pere Ubu was from half of The Dead Boys, their music is different.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

"Kettering" by the Antlers.
"Hope There's Someone" by Antony and the Johnsons

I have gone over other songs by those two artists and have not really found songs that I like in the same way I like those songs.

Are there any songs like those two by other artists (or the same artists) that I have just not found?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

The Touching Evil TV program (the US version) has music by the current partner of Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross. It has never been released.

What music is like this? 12 Rounds does not seem much like it, not does the NIN I have heard.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

KevinHeaven posted:

Why do I feel like I'm the only person who likes the Bad Brains reggae songs...

FOr me, certain Black Uhuru (the mid '80's stuff) *feels* the same, but I have trouble explaining why there is only certain Black Uhuru I like so this may not help.

Also I make weird connections between 'unrelated to other people' music apparently.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Bellams posted:

Can someone recommend some bands where the vocals are all in German, but that's not metal/gothic/industrial?

Thanks. God, I love that language. :smugdog:

Peter Gabriel recorded at least two of his albums in German. Same music just in German.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Nosy_G posted:

Someone find me more music like this beautiful song.
Maybe
this one

(Do yourself a favor and don't look at the artist before you hear this. It will probably influence you before you hear it. That one album is a pretty large step away from the rest of the work.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxq37RukKaA