Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

DarkSun6890 posted:

I'm looking for some similar artists to Sick Animation (Marc M.). His CD is pretty much really catchy songs about really taboo subjects. Any kind of Taboo/sexual songs should be fine, I just want something to laugh at and catch myself singing in my head at times.
The idea occoured to me when I was watching SNL and that "jizz in my pants" song came up. Catchy, funny.

Don't know the artist but if you're talking taboo subjects...

It's Only Right and Natural by The Frogs is your go to album here, if you don't mind a whole bunch of ludicrously gay and offensive humour. Great tunes too.

Otherwise, a couple of songs off the top of my head are:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Stagger Lee
Dead Kennedys - I Kill Children
Frank Zappa - Bobby Brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Shangalang posted:

Can anyone tell me where to start with Nick Cave?

I would say Murder Ballads is the best starter album in his discography, perfect mixture of accessibility and uniqueness. Then probably either Henry's Dream, Tender Prey or Let Love In. But hell basically any album aside from Noctorama is worth your while, you can pretty much plunge in wherever.
Bear in mind his style changes alot between his albums and as a general rule of thumb it gets increasingly more accessible the later the release date. Listening chronologically would be drat cool, but if the Birthday Party and the Bad Seed's early records seem too intense or weird for you don't get put off all together, give some of his later albums a listen and then maybe come back to them.

Edit: Man, I never get tired of seeing Nick Cave just kick that guy in the video!

swampland fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 31, 2009

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Hi, seeking sprawling, disturbing, disjointed albums. The kind that will keep you up at night and half stop your heart.

Along the lines of, say: The Drift by Scott Walker, From Her to Eternity by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Locust Abortion Technician by the Butthole Surfers.

Basically as if I were a submissive and sought a master album to completely overwhelm and debase me.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Thank you everyone for the vast number of replies. I look forward to delving into these potentially paralysing albums. To Big Bad Voodoo Lou: Good pick, one of my favourite albums, Tom Waits is a god, see you in the colloseum.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Hi, now I know I'm going to sound like a music listening novice when I post this... but I would love to hear some more music in the vein of Nirvana. Understand I am not asking for more grunge nor groups that resemble Nirvana musically. Rather I am looking for groups with an expansive knowledge and recognition of their influences that are not afraid to expand upon and subvert those influences.

I kind of think of Kurt Cobain as the Quentin Tarintino of alternative music. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of the music that influenced him, referenced it constantly yet made it his own.

Can anyone recommend me bands knowledgable of rock music's past who are also knowledgably unique?

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Hi, requesting ugly music. Ugly in the sense that it makes you feel sick inside but is still deeply satisfying, music that works by being very conscious of how it is not working. The Drift by Scot Walker would be a good example of what I'm after, anything in that vein would be much appreciated.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Check out Fossileyes, by The Red Masque.

Also, almost anything by the bands Univers Zero and Present. I'd recommend starting with Univers Zero's Heresie.

Thanks! Those guys sound great, can't wait to start looking into them more!

Dudemanguy posted:

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but his voice really reminded me of Danzig. The style especially reminded me of "Blood and Tears" by Danzig.

I would also recommend King Crimson. They always make me feel either confused or ill, but either way satisfied artistically. I would say try listening to Moonchild, or at least the first half of it (because the song is 12 minutes long) or if you want the more confused feel, try Elephant Talk or 21st Century Schizoid Man

Hey, not exactly what I was looking for yeah, but it's still awesome finding new bands anyway, sounds good. I only had really heard "Where Eagles Dare" by the Misfits, looks like it's worth digging a bit deeper into this guy's catalogue.

I'm a huge King Crimson fan, good call recommending Elephant Talk, Discipline would definately be my favourite album by them.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

I think I post a similar request to this one every half year or so when I run out of the stuff or get a late night urge for it but I want disturbing music. Stuff that makes your heart go weird and gives you nightmares. Something like The Drift by Scott Walker or The Big Bubble by The Residents maybe.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Thanks to everyone who recommended me disturbing music! Some great stuff there that should keep me sorted for at least another half year!
To The Doo Do Chasers I actually got my username from a song off of that Birthday Party album, so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Hey, I like rap a whole bunch but it can be hard to listen to all the homophobia that's often present. Are there any anti-homophobic rap artists that don't suck?

Edit: Don't post Kanye West or current day Immortal Technique.