Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I'm a pretty massive Dylan fan (obviously) and while I love almost all his stuff my favorite album is the Basement Tapes. Which sort of sucks as the quality is poo poo (although this does add to the atmosphere). Does anyone know a band which matches the whole atmosphere of that album besides The Band?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
So I recently have fallen in love with three Warren Zevon songs from Excitable Boy, Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner, Excitable Boy, and Werewolves of London. What other Zevon albums should I get that match the quality and humor of those songs?

Threatis posted:

alright, I'm looking for Rebel Folk/Country like Townes Van Zandt and Richard Thompson. I'm well aware of the Willy's/Jenning's/Kristofferson's/Cash's of the world, and I'm just wondering if theres any other stuff out there i should be checking.

I'd try out ¡Viva Terlingua! by Jerry Jeff Walker. It's a bit more countryish than Townes, but once you get into it its a really great album.

rum sodomy the lash fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 20, 2009

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Currently my top ten most listened to bands are

1. Bob Dylan
2. Tom Waits
3. Beck
4. Townes Van Zandt
5. Warren Zevon
6. Johnny Cash
7. The Band
8. Monsters of Folk
9. The Rolling Stones
10. Jerry Jeff Walker

However I recently started listening to newer roots rock/folk bands, like Blitzen Trapper, M. Ward, the Moondoggies, Duchess and the Duke, Uncle Tupelo, and a couple Brian Jonestown Massacre albums from the 90s. While my top ten is mostly from 60s/70s, I'm looking for some more contemporary roots rock/folk bands.

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I started listening to the Pogues a couple days ago, and now theyre easily one of my favorite bands. I've got Rum Sodomy & the Lash and If I Should Fall From Grace With God, and while theyre both fantastic I think I prefer RS&L better because Shane's singing seems clearer and stronger, even if Grace is a bit more experimental.

I'm looking for similar artists. Not necessarily Irish folk music, but music with a similar punk attitude combined with that same sorta sense of... history? that Shane conveys. The Clash sorta fit in this.

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

HAI posted:

I don't much care for any of the bands that try to ape them, I think the real thing (i.e. Clancy Brothers, Dubliners, Christy Moore even) is much closer to Shane's vision, but The Men They Couldn't Hang are a British folk-punk band with a sort of a similar vibe, they got a couple of good LPs.

Also, Red Roses for Me is easily the best Pogues LP.

Yeah, I should have said I tried listening to stuff like Dropkick Murphys & some other American bands and they seemed to be just cheap knockoffs with a bit more rock thrown in & without Shane's songwriting and charisma.

I'll check out The Men They Couldn't Hang, and maybe get a Dubliners albums as I really liked Mountain Dew.

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

burntloser posted:

Looking for anything similar to The Devil Makes Three. Came up on Deer Tick similar artists on Last.fm and I grabbed the self-titled album. Any other Alt-bluegrass/folkish stuff like this I should know about?

Hmm, thanks for turning me on to these guys. I'd check out the Pogues, theyre a bit different but Irish folk reminds me alot of Bluegrass. Also any other big folk/blues act, uh, Bob Dylan, The Band, some Jack White stuff, Townes Van Zandt, Muddy Waters, Tom Waits, theres a ton of em but I'd start with those if you don't already listen to em.

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I dunno if theres much of a garage revival blues following here, but does anyone know of any bands to go along with the Soledad Brothers, the Greenhornes, Holly Golightly, and early White Stripes? Because this music is awesome and I want more more more

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Diligent Deadite posted:

I saw 'Crazy Heart' the other night and quite enjoyed some of the downbeat country near the end. I'm already quite a big fan of Calexico and like the cinematic, world-hopping sound that they have too, so they might be a good 'guide band.' Basically I'm looking for some mournful country, ideally with some slide guitar because I'm a sucker for it, that steers clear of the cheese that I usually find off-putting.

Here's a couple of songs I guess you could branch out from if you like em. These are more folky/altcountry/outlaw than standard country though, I don't know a lot about that.

Ramblin' Man - Hank Williams
Moonshiner - both Bob Dylan's and Uncle Tupelos version is good, Uncle Tupelo's probably more country.
Cocaine - Jackson Browne
London Homesick Blues - Jerry Jeff Walker
Goodnight Irene - Leon Russell (from Hank Wilson's Back!)
Methamphetamine - Old Crow Medicine Show (more bluegrassy)
Tecumsah Valley - Townes Van Zandt (and the rest of A Gentle Evening With Townes Van Zandt, a great great album)

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

nub helper posted:

Can anyone recommend a Bob Dylan album for me? Ive heard some of the bigger hits, eg hurricane, rolling stone, etc. But the one song that has blew me away is "im not there" from the soundtrack. Its slow, bluesy, dark, really fantastic. Are there any particular albums similar to this style?

Well, if you like I'm Not There you'd probably like the Basement Tapes, considering it was recorded during those sessions. I'd recommend John Wesley Harding and Blonde on Blonde for slow, bluesy, dark, & really fantastic stuff.

After that get the rest of his discography starting with the greatest album of all time (Highway 61 Revisited).

It should be against nmd rules to say any album or band is the best ever.

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

sh1fty posted:

I'm looking for artists that use a blend of rock/folk and country. I've been listening to the early stuff of Ry Cooder for awhile now and I can't get enough of it.

Nashville Skyline & John Wesley Harding by Bob Dylan, Uncle Tupelo, Old Crow Medicine Show, The Band, The Devil Makes Three, Steve Earle, Leon Russell, and especially

quote:

Gram Parsons, with the Flying Burrito Brothers (The Gilded Palace of Sin and Burrito Deluxe), The Byrds (Sweetheart of the Rodeo) and his solo albums.

These is a pretty diverse list, you'll find something you like in it.

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Hmm, haven't tried this thread in years so might as well. Right now my top listened to artists are the Clash, Drive-By Truckers, Bob Dylan, The Pogues, Randy Newman, Johnny Cash, Steve Earle, M.I.A., Hank Williams, the Mummies, the Felice Brothers It's sorta a jumble of genres, but I love folk, country, rock, punk, garage, or any fusion of those. I love songwriting that tells... I guess socially conscious stories? Although explicit 60s protest songs are annoying, excluding Dylan who'd I argue never did explicit protest songs. Any ideas?

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Jacques Diarrhida posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGv4-KpOS-M

The Gun Club should cover at least a few of those genres.

Thanks, I remember listening to them years and years ago, but that was before I was really into punk and garage, and I remember thinking they were a bit too weird. Now that I've given them another listen I really like them. Really, reminds me of the White Stripes first album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Thanks for all these. I already love and have Cohen and Springsteen. I like the Stiff Little Fingers song, I'll make sure to get some of them, but I really, really love that Calexico song. The thing is, I've tried them out before, I have the album Carried to Dust, and while I loved the instrumentals and really, the sound in general, I can't stand the vocals when spoken in English. I don't know how to describe it, but I hate that kind of soft... whispery singing the guy does. Is there an album where that is less dominant? Or maybe an album more directly focused on Mexican and country instead of latin music in general.