Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
I'm in a really huge Boards of Canada phase right now and I'm looking for more stuff like it. I already know of the standards: Black Moth Super Rainbow, Tycho, Plaid, Christ., Four Tet, etc. since I'm pretty big into downtempo and chillout, but is there anything I maybe overlooked?

For reference, some of my favorite songs in this area of music:
Boards of Canada - Constants Are Changing
Tycho - The Daydream
Four Tet - Hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Gahazakul posted:

I have found my self turning to the slight solace of Techno. I have had a soft spot in my heart for Daft Punk for years but that was as far as I reached. Lately mixed in with my normal rotation of gangsta rap from the early nineties, Weird Al, and other folk tunes a gentleman named Bass hunter found his way in. Following his invasion he seems to have sneaked in some strange shniz by Junior/Senior.

So I am at a loss to keep following this techno path of destruction. Honestly I don't even know the difference between techno, house, electronica or what have you. I likes it when its a bit on the fast side, semblance of lyrics are optional.

Edit: lost and loss are not the same word

Just to toss some good starting acts out there from a wide range of electronic music genres: Justice, Deadmau5, Röyksopp, Danny Byrd, Pendulum, Hixxy, Plaid

Take your pick. Those should be pretty easily accessible, so just find out which sounds best to you and go from there.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

incoherent posted:

I'm looking for music similar to madlib beat cds (Mind Fusion, etc). I have a lot from stones throw catalog in addition to flying lotus, but is there anyone out there just making sick beats devoid of human voice?

Check out anything from Ninja Tune Records. DJ Shadow, DJ Krush, Amon Tobin, Blockhead, and Prefuse 73 are what I'd start with.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Vannaroth posted:

I'm just recently dabbling in electronic music and would really appreciate any recommendations along the same lines as Groove Armada, The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Propellerheads etc. I know next to nothing about electronic music and its subgenres so these groups are really the only reference I can give you guys to score some recommendations :shobon:

Along the same lines of those groups: Fatboy Slim, Freestylers, Pendulum, Junkie XL, Moby, The Crystal Method, Primal Scream, and maybe even Daft Punk, Juno Reactor, and Infected Mushroom, among others.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

dongsweep posted:

Don't think this warrants a thread and this is the most appropriate place to ask: are there any websites that give an updated list of good club/dance music? Whenever I go to a bar I always hear songs that don't get popular for another few weeks, would like to stay ahead of the curve.

Just seems like every google result is someone on a board requesting songs, and the posts are from months ago etc.

I personally use Beatport.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Zygar posted:

Lately I've been listening to a lot of "electronic" music (by which I mean a catch-all encompassing all kinds of music from whatever Pendulum or Daft Punk is, to psy-trance, etc.)

An uncommon occurrence among some of these artists, but one that I really, really like, is the mixing of classical/acoustic guitar into the song. This is hard to explain but here's an example of the stuff I like:

Infected Mushroom - Becoming Insane – This is the single version, the album version has a lot more of that cool guitar. I really dig the way the singing and guitar gets more intense, finally giving way to the intense beat of the song.

Pendulum - 9000 Miles – Love the way the song blends into the guitar and back out again, starting around 1:40.

Infected Mushroom - Shakawkaw – About 1:40. I love how it jumps from modern electro synths and poo poo to the same melody on an acoustic/classical guitar.

Does anybody have any song and artist recommendations that are similar to the above songs in this respect? I realize it's quite a specific request but I love the mixing of the old and the new. Cheers!

Juno Reactor - Pistolero comes to mind when you're talking about similar artists to those. As far as other electronic music, try out stuff like Yppah, Tycho, Thievery Corporation, and you might also like newer stuff from Boards of Canada.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Captain Canada posted:

Can anyone recommend something along the lines of Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue? It's an amazing glitchy album with a lot of elements of different genres of music and I don't think I've heard anything quite like it before.

Definitely check out the likes of Boards of Canada (this is easily Bibio's biggest influence and he's said so, also if I recall correctly he is almost like a protégé of sorts to Boards). There aren't a lot of other bands that sound like him as far as I know, but you might have luck with Tycho, Clark, Black Moth Super Rainbow, and maybe to a lesser extent James Yuill, Hannu, Helios, Four Tet, Caribou, Lone, and a laundry list of others. Also try checking out stuff that falls within the "folktronica" genre.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

niggerstomper58 posted:

Looking for something like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7bKe_Zgk4o#movie_player

Obviously look at all of the Boards of Canada albums, starting with Geogaddi which is what Music is Math is on. There isn't much else that sounds like Boards of Canada, but you might have luck with artists such as Tycho, Bibio, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Aphex Twin, Plaid, Four Tet, Telefon Tel Aviv, Clark, Amon Tobin, Helios, and more. You can also look for artists that fall under the "IDM" genre.

insomne fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 8, 2009

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Johnny Got His Gunt posted:

I'm getting into Trance/d'n'b/Jungle and I'm looking for some really intense music.

Here's an example of what I'm looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1P0aD9YTE

This is generally called "hardcore," and it's what those gay rear end kandy kids listen to (you don't want to be one of them, do you). This is definitely not trance, drum n bass, or jungle, and pretty much everyone else in the electronic music scene hates this. That aside, look up Darren Styles, Hixxy, Scott Brown, Mark Breeze, Dougal, Gammer, and be sure to check out the di.fm Hardcore station.

insomne fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 10, 2009

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Electric Pez posted:

Recommend me some bands that sound like Stars please (other than Metric/Broken Social Scene).

Or just other indie-like bands that have decent lyrics/female vocalists. Maybe even some pianists.

Try out Scanners, Kaki King, Tegan and Sara, Rilo Kiley, The Bird and the Bee, and Bat for Lashes.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Man-In-Madden posted:

Which electronic genre does this song by M83 fall under? I'm looking for some stuff similar to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOZthGa6LeY

You're probably looking more towards electrohouse or maybe electropop, like etard knievel said. I would probably recommend Crystal Castles, Justice, Röyksopp (mostly the Junior and The Understanding albums), Digitalism, Ratatat, The Knife, MSTRKRFT, The Presets, Cut Copy, Midnight Juggernauts, Holy gently caress, Phoenix, MGMT, Danger, and maybe some more IDMish acts like Black Mother Super Rainbow and Aphex Twin would work for you.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

CAMiasm posted:

so i listened to black saint and the sinner lady by charles mingus and really liked it. what should i get by him next?

Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus, if you haven't already listened to that of course. After that, go with Pithecanthropus Erectus, The Clown, Mingus Ah Um, and Blues & Roots.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Iraff posted:

I'd really like to get into some beautiful electronic ambient stuff. Can you recommend the genre staples? Or superb unknowns? Or anything that fits, I suppose.

I'd like to thank everyone who's helped with my previous requests. This thread is indispensable.

Hello friend who is interested in electronic music! I think what you're looking for are ambient and IDM artists.

Some of the bigger name artists from a wide range of musical styles: Tycho, Boards of Canada, port-royal, Telefon Tel Aviv, Bonobo, Wagon Christ, Obfusc, Aether, Hecq, Benn Jordan (and the stuff he's released as The Flashbulb), Aphex Twin, Belong, Emancipator, Secede, Stars of the Lid, Dom Mino', Plaid, Röyksopp, and Wisp.

Also seconding: Helios, Eluvium, Ulrich Schnauss, and Four Tet. Eluvium's Talk Amongst the Trees is one of my favorite albums, period.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Regression posted:

I just wanted to thank you for the effort you put into that post!

No problem at all! If anyone has any questions about that type of music I'll certainly try and help if you message me on AIM. I'm not the greatest resource but I do like a lot of it. I also cannot believe that I forgot one of my favorite groups: Hammock.

insomne fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 10, 2010

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Senator Woofington posted:

Because I'm an idiot, cross posting this here because it is probably where it belongs:

I am trying to figure out what genre I am thinking of. Basically I am looking for ambient with some kind of drums in them. Like if Briano Eno had some kind of kick to it. Dayvan Cowboy is a decent example (Boards of Canada) but not ambient enough.

Yo dude, boring music like this is my raison d'etre as well! You'll find that pretty much all of this stuff is grouped under genres like "IDM" and "ambient." I'm a huge loving dork for Boards of Canada if it isn't already evident, so here you go:

Tycho, Boards of Canada, port-royal, Telefon Tel Aviv, Bonobo, Wagon Christ, Obfusc, Aether, Hecq, Benn Jordan (and the stuff he's released as The Flashbulb), Aphex Twin, Belong, Emancipator, Secede, Stars of the Lid, Dom Mino', Plaid, Röyksopp, Wisp, Helios, Eluvium, Ulrich Schnauss, Four Tet, The Album Leaf, Eimog, Pantha Du Prince, Balmorhea, Efterklang, and if you need more just AIM me.

insomne fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 3, 2010

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

guppy posted:

I think I've asked this before but I don't think anyone had any recs, so trying again as it's been a while and maybe new people are reading -- I'm looking for more stuff like Chicane.

I've heard stuff like Above & Beyond, Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk, DJ Shah, Sunlounger, BT, Tiesto, so on so forth. None have really scratched that itch.

I'm not sure exactly what defines the sound I want -- BT is a little more aggressive than I'm looking for, Sunlounger is a little too chilled, Armin van Buuren and Tiesto are a little too boring. Pretty sure I want vocals for most of it, and relaxed music but still something with a decent beat. Anyone?

Yeah, Chicane is pretty drat amazing if you ask me, but I think he's also fairly unique. Kind of chilled out but still danceable? I'm sure you've already heard of him, but you can try some of deadmau5's stuff (and on that note, Kaskade). Some people loathe him and I guess I can see why but gently caress it, I still think he's awesome. Even if they don't exactly fit the bill, there's also Adam K & Soha and Dinka (really the whole Anjunabeats label is worth checking out). You might like them.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I recently stumbled upon Coastal Brake by Tycho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PitnHzwigTA

and after listening to a bit more of their music realize I may have been listening to the wrong type of music my whole life. I really, really enjoy the base beat in Coastal Brake and for some reason that song is just drat motivating. I get more lab work done listening to that song than I ever have.

I am looking for more electronic music that is upbeat and inspiratinal like this song. I don't know a thing about electronic music and Itunes only helped me pilfer a few more songs and to be honest they don't much cut it. Any recommendations would be great.

Sorry for the late response, hope you find something you like out of this list. If you want more in a specific direction don't be afraid to AIM me.

Boards of Canada, Ulrich Schnauss, Bibio, Telefon Tel Aviv, Four Tet, Bonobo, Aphex Twin, Daedelus, Röyksopp, Lone, Aether, Plaid, Wisp, Nosaj Thing, Helios, Groove Armada, Hammock, múm

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Roil posted:

So I'm reaaaaaally into The Glitch Mob lately - glitch hop, grimey, hip hop speed music. Who else should I be looking into for this kind of sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtnVduIY75Y

Some basic starters are Flying Lotus, Lone, and Rustie. If you're looking for a little more, the thread for that kind of stuff is here.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I want some more instrumental, or instrumental-esque hip hop songs. I'd prefer there to be no lyrics/vocals other then samples, but if the music is good enough I can look past it.

Right now all I have that I can think of, in order of what kind I am most looking for.

MF DOOM - Special Herbs 1&2
RJD2 - Deadringer - I had someone tell me his more recent albums aren't anything like this one.
J. Dilla - Donuts
Aesop Rock - Nike+: All Day - A 40 minute track he did for Nike's All Day thingamajig. It's mostly music with rap verses peppered throughout.

edit: I forgot, but I really love Nightmares on Wax's In A Space Outta Sound, whats some other stuff from him I should check out?

Madlib. He's by far one of my favorite artists, period. He made a collab with MF Doom called Madvillain and one with Dilla called Jaylib. He's releasing an album a month this year, along with new material for Madvillain and some of his other projects. Hardest working producer in the business, for sure.

In general, you wanna check out Stones Throw Records. Other stuff you can check out: the wonky genre of music (there's a thread for this) including guys like Flying Lotus, TOKiMONSTA, Lone, and Rustie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
Ever since seeing them at Coachella last year, I've been digging the hell out of Grinderman. More specifically, their more bluesy, fuzzy, fast stuff like No Pussy Blues and Mickey Mouse and the Goodbye Man. Could someone recommend anything like that?