Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

PUSSY BARON posted:

Start with Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, then just check out more stuff by him and the rest of the band mates (John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans, etc)

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Okay this one may be tricky.

I love Nine Inch Nails but specifically for their Ghosts I-IV which is an industrial/every other genre instrumental album featuring a wide range of instrumentation and music styles. Are their any other bands or albums that fit this instrumental genre?

Well, it's mostly vocal, but you may like Swans. Their album Children of God is pretty varied instrumentally and has both male and female vocalists.

edit: here's the personnel listing if you're interested in what instruments specifically are on the album.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 1, 2009

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

sunn O))) is kind of hard to get into. I'd recommend Earth instead. They were a major influence on both Boris and sunn O))) and their output is more varied than sunn O))) but not quite as diverse as Boris. Another major influence on Boris, the Melvins, alternate between short songs and long droning ones. Here's the Melvins song Boris is named after.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Kivex posted:

I'm also looking for stoner metal, such as Kyuss. Anything more modern/psycadelic?

There's Sleep, whose album Holy Mountain is probably their most accessible album, then there's Dopesmoker, which consists of a single, hour-long song.

The ever popular Boris has a varied output, but Heavy Rocks is their most straight forward stoner album.

Boris' predecessors, the Melvins play more punk influenced stoner/doom. Start with Houdini.

For something more recent, there's Torche's Meanderthal, which features a more pop-like brand of stoner metal.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

dgt posted:

Doom metal? Really any kind. Sludge, doom/death, classic doom, stoner metal whatever.

I like:

Sleep
Kyuss
Pentagram
St. Vitus
The Hidden Hand
Anathema
Morgion
Sunn O)))
Eyehategod
Cathedral
Torche
Boris
Candlemass
Mare
Isis
Cult of Luna
Baroness
Neurosis

Seems like you hit most of the big names, but left out Wichfinder General, Melvins, Earth, Acid Bath, Om, Witchcraft, Witch etc. but rather than just listing bands, I suggest you check out the Stoner/Sludge/Doom Megathread.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Little Baines Johnson posted:

I don't know exactly what i'm looking for, but it's rap/hip-hop. if someone could recommend their own favorite rap albums (i'm just looking to branch out, anything is cool) it would be much appreciated. basically need a place to get into more modern stuff and find other groups.

please don't recommend:
Nas
A Tribe Called Quest
The Roots
Kool Keith (Ultramagnetic MCs or Dr. Octagon)
Wu Tang and related
Public Enemy
etc

stuff i like:
RA
Goodie Mob
Kool G Rap
some Dead Prez
AZ
the new J-Live

Here's a post from the last thread with similar, more recent artists.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 26, 2009

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Most of their early stuff is good. Fly By Night, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres and even A Caress Of Steel. Their self titled is without Neil Peart and sounds like typical blues rock of the 70's, but its still worth listening to I think.

If you like live albums, I haven't heard a bad live Rush album yet, Different Stages is my favourite.

If you're looking for something similar to 70s Rush, but less proggy and more hard rock/70s metal, there's Budgie, which features even higher pitched vocals and a faster tempo.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

By "catchy and upbeat but slightly chaotic and discordant song style" do you mean something like Touch Me I'm Sick?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

bovis posted:

Can anyone recommend me some music like Sonic Youth, so I guess some Alternative Rock with Noise Rock influences?

I'd highly recommend You're Living all over Me by Dinosaur Jr. It's more rock than noise, but I personally prefer it to Daydream Nation because of it's shorter, more conventional song structures. If you browse allmusic's American Underground tag you'll find other similar artists from the 80s. Or if you really want to learn more about those bands, read Our Band Could be Your Life by Michael Azerrad, which features chapters on over a dozen bands of the era, including Sonic Youth.

For something relatively more recent, check out Source Tags and Codes by ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

aude omnia posted:

I gave my younger brother my old mp3 player, but he'll need some mp3s to go with it. I like some odd stuff and haven't been sure what to give him. He's a little too old for They Might Be Giants' kid-targeted stuff, but he's not old enough to get over cussin' in music.

He'll listen to drat near anything catchy enough, whether it's Barenaked Ladies or The Clash singles or even M.C. Hammer. :gonk: What's poppy enough to keep his attention, but doesn't suck?

Maybe it's because I'm listening to 3 Feet High and Rising right now, but how about De La Soul. It's clean and catchy and fun for all ages. I realize "fun for all ages" sound cliche but it just seems to fit. v:shobon:v

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

i_teefbrush_U posted:

Where do I start with the blues? I listen to a lot of hip-hop and like a lot of blues/jazz inspired beats, and would like to expand a little further. I'm particularly interested in blues harp, so anything in that direction would be great.

Well blues and jazz aren't really the same thing at all, but if you're looking for blues harmonica, Sonny Boy Williamson II is one of the best harpists. For blues in general (with some harmonica) I'd recommend Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf.

dsh posted:

I am having a birthday party on Saturday and need suggestions on popular music college-age chicks like to dance to. I'd like to have a decent playlist of 40 or so good songs I can just put on shuffle. Playing my collection of obscure indie and electronic music won't cut it. Anyone know where I could get a good list?

Don't know if this is too hard rocking, but Andrew W.K.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 31, 2009

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

thetruancybot posted:

hey guise i'm getting into shoegaze, and i really enjoy Gala and Spooky by Lush and Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. what else should i check out?

The Jesus and Mary Chain's Psychocandy is early/proto-shoegaze and still one of the best albums in the genre. Darklands is also good but they never made another album quite like Psychocandy. After that I'd recommend Nowhere by Ride and Souvlaki by Slowdive. Don't forget MBV's first album, Isn't Anything, which isn't as refined as Loveless, but still has some great songs like the harder rocking "Feed Me with Your Kiss". Of course there's plenty of other bands and later fusions, but these are the essentials in my opinion.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

swampland posted:

Hi, seeking sprawling, disturbing, disjointed albums. The kind that will keep you up at night and half stop your heart.

Along the lines of, say: The Drift by Scott Walker, From Her to Eternity by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Locust Abortion Technician by the Butthole Surfers.

Basically as if I were a submissive and sought a master album to completely overwhelm and debase me.

Oxbow's the first thing that comes to mind for me, perhaps An Evil Heat?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Ewar Woowar posted:

Hello again recommendation thread.

I was listening to Funkadelic's Maggot Brain last night and realised I have nothing else like it in my collection. What would you guys and girls recommend?

Hehe my first edit spelt it as Fuckadelic.

The album right before it, Free Your Mind and Your rear end Will Follow, is probably the most similar. As far as stuff by other artists, Stand! by Sly and the Family Stone and Hendrix's Band of Gypsies have a similar funk/rock sound. As for harder to find stuff there's Eddie Hazel's (Funkadelic guitarist) solo album Game, Dames, and Guitar Thangs and Buddy Miles' (Band of Gypsies drummer) Them Changes.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

guppy posted:

Unrelated: What's the best place to start with the Eels?

There's a whole thread about Eels here with suggestions in the OP.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Skilleddk posted:

I'm trying to get more into Shoegaze genre. Already heard My Bloody Valentine, M83 and Slowdive. Didn't really like MBV, M83 is good, but I already love Slowdive, what other bands are there like them?

If you're looking for softer stuff with electronics you should definitely check out Cocteau Twins. Treasure and Heaven or Las Vegas are good starting points.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Aturaten posted:

The first is rap that isn't poo poo. I refuse to believe that what Lil' Wayne puts out is the pinnacle of what it can sound like. I am not a fan of any "black plight" music, nor hos or bitches, or any songs that use the word "nigga/friend of the family" non-sarcastically.

Wanting rap that's not about "bitches and hos" is one thing, but what the hell do you have against "black plight"?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Aturaten posted:

Well De La Soul kicks rear end. Anymore like this?

If you wanted rap that's similar to De la Soul why didn't you ask for that in the first place? Your original post was terrible because you only listed a few artists you didn't like and didn't give any examples of things you like besides a video game soundtrack.

Munky from KORN posted:

You're on the internet. How have you gone this long without someone telling you "Yeah I only listen to real hip-hop like J5 and Blackalicious"?

I'm guessing because J5 occasionally say the N-word and Blackalicious has "black" in the name.

Aturaten posted:

If directed at all white people, then yes, it's racist. If they're calling some bigoted hick a cracker, then it's just pejorative.

Congratulations on agreeing with Twisted Aristocrat's fakepost.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Aturaten posted:

Because I didn't know about them?

That's it, i'm done, recommend me some more rap like De La Soul.

My mistake, I just realized you listened to some De la Soul after your initial post. In that case, A Tribe Called Quest and Pete Rock and CL Smooth are similar. Last.fm http://www.last.fm/music/De+La+Soul and allmusic http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:wvfyxq85ldke are good resources for finding similar artists.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Wild Cantaloupe posted:

In terms of heavy music, I listen to the canon stoner rock/metal bands (kyuss, sleep, high on fire, electric wizard) then the GA group of recent metal bands (Baroness, Mastodon, Kylesa, Torche), and also Boris I guess. So I was wondering where else and what else I should start looking into in terms of metal?

There's the earliest doom metal bands that played slower Black Sabbath inspired stuff in the 80s like Pentagram, Witchfinder General, Saint Vitus, Trouble, The Obsessed, and Candlemass.

Then there's the Melvins, who were one of the first bands to mix punk with doom, paving the way for sludge metal. They were especially influential to some of the bands you mentioned.

Earth - early drone metal

Neurosis - early post metal

Southern sludge - Acid Bath, Corrosion of Conformity, Crowbar, Down, Eyehategod

There's a bunch more, but those are probably the most "essential" especially Melvins. More info in this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2512135

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 3, 2009

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Wild Cantaloupe posted:

I really love the Jesus Lizard, and the only other think like it that I listen to is Big Black, which I only have Songs About loving from.

Maybe what I'm looking for is intense shoegazing? My only exposure to shoegazing is really My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive.

Thanks for all the help

You're probably better off looking for Black Flag style hardcore than shoegaze. There's also some good noise recs on the last 2 pages http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3056853&pagenumber=14&perpage=40#post359999691

edit for link

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 3, 2009

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Well Stevie Ray Vaughn is really more blues-rock than blues, so stuff like Hendrix and Clapton are similar, but if you're looking for less rock based stuff you'd probably like John Lee Hooker or Buddy Guy. Although he's sort of in between electric blues and rock and roll, you might also like Bo Diddley. With most of these guys I'd recommend getting a "best of" compilation before listening to a whole album.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

To be honest I'm not a fan of most of those bands, but you might find what you're looking for on Mike Patton's Ipecac label.

edit: You'd probably like the Melvins. They've been around longer than the bands you mentioned, but they're still touring and releasing albums. In fact their last two were on Ipecac.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 11, 2009

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

AltoidsAddict posted:

After being introduced to "80s on the Rag" last night at the pub, I hunger for some good ragtime music that I can get from iTunes. Is there even such a thing as contemporary ragtime? I'd love artists that depart from the usual Scott Joplin stuff and do something different.

I know Something Awful has a bustling ragtime enthusiast community, so let's hear it!

If you're looking for something beyond the Scott Joplin piano stuff, you might like Piedmont Blues which is heavily influenced by ragtime but primarily uses the guitar. The albums Ragtime Guitar's Foremost Fingerpicker Blind Blake and The Best of Blind Willie McTell (Yazoo records) are both good starting points.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Rat Salad posted:

He's not exactly asking for bands 'similar to The Clash', I'm taking it he wants to know more punk bands in general. I'm saying that if you're going to just start out exploring that stuff, you're gonna need to hear more than the two records he mentioned before you start forming opinions about the genre. Those bands would all lead in different directions depending on which he likes more.

(Unless, dude, you really just want more stuff like London Calling, in which case I can't really help.)

People have different criteria for what they consider punk though. I'm not trying to turn this into a "what is punk?" conversation but London Calling is quite different from "straight-ahead punk" like the Sex Pistols and the Ramones. Chances are he probably would gravitate more towards Gang of Four than the Circle Jerks. That said I thought this was a better suggestion:

A Violence Gang posted:

Sounds like my taste as far as punk goes -- I like the stuff that uses punk as one influence among others but I'm not big on pure punk itself. Maybe check out some other punk/something else hybrid groups like Gang of Four (Entertainment!, Solid Gold) and the Gun Club (Fire of Love, Miami)?

Although this kind of stuff isn't hard to find either, just look up some of more upbeat post-punk like Wire, Pere Ubu, The Fall, Talking Heads etc.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

scumble posted:

The 80s have always been my weak decade but I'm really starting to love a lot of bands I've heard like the Vaselines, the dB's, the Buzzcocks, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Minutemen, The Dream Syndicate, etc.- basically 80s college radio material. Please recommend as many bands as possible that sound even remotely like these groups, I'm loving them.

That's a pretty broad list of bands, so rather than naming individual bands I'd suggest browsing allmusic's college rock, American underground, and post-punk tags.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

coolbian57 posted:

Recently I have been getting into Classical guitar and jazz guitar styled music. The only problem is I have no idea where to start with either as they are both huge in the sheer amount of artists and musicians. If someone could just give a few pointers on what to check out first I will do so and report back with reviews. The only memorable artist I have listened to has been John Williams thus far. Oh and the band Soil and "Pimp" Sessions (though they don't feature a guitarist, I HIGHLY enjoy this style of fast and furious jazz, so anything similar to that with or without a guitarist I would definitely eat up).

Well classical and jazz guitar are pretty different styles, but I'd recommend Andres Segovia for classical. My Favorite Works, Vol. 3 has some of my favorite pieces. You might also be interested in flamenco, which uses the same type of guitar, but also includes additional percussion and may or may not include vocals. Carlos Montoya is a good starting point.

As far as jazz guitarists go, it depends on what you're looking for. For instance Django Reinhardt played acoustic guitar and has a more 'traditional' sound with some folk influences. Charlie Christian was one of the earliest jazz guitarists to go electric and his style lies between swing and bop.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Stuntman Mike posted:

Please recommend me music that's like R.E.M. and the Tragically Hip!

If that's too broad, just more bands similar to R.E.M., then.

If you're looking for stuff like R.E.M. you should look into jangle pop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jangle_pop_bands
http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:2692
http://www.last.fm/tag/jangle+pop

Grant it, not all of REM's songs are jangle pop but their earlier material is pretty representative of the genre. Some of my favorites are the Replacements, which combine hard rock with the janglier stuff, and the dB's, who are more power pop oriented.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Mad Eddy posted:

I'm looking for some trippy/mellow stuff. Like for instance In the Fade by Queens of the Stone Age

You'd probably enjoy Screaming trees which was one of Mark Lanegan's (the lead singer in that song) earlier bands. Their last album Dust probably has the most similar songs. If you like that, then check out Sweet Oblivian.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Some Alf DVDs posted:

Thanks man. I listened to a lot of these bands this past week. My take:
-Rites of Spring- awesome

This was a good rec for Fugazi because of the personnel overlap. You'd probably also like Ian McKaye's short lived band Embrace. You may want to look into DC hardcore, other Dischord Records bands, and early emo.

quote:

-Dinosaur Jr- sounds like generic college alt rock, but maybe i just chose a bad album (Farm)

You're Living All Over Me is their most popular album and my personal favorite, but it still doesn't have that much in common with Fugazi. Although Dino jr is "post-hardcore" in the literal sense, I don't think they really fit in with the other bands kingcobweb mentioned. They have more in common with stuff like Sonic Youth, Husker Du, Pixies, grunge, and shoegaze.

Don't forget to look into the bands that influenced Fugazi, particularly Minutemen, Mission of Burma, Gang of Four, and Television. These bands are usually classified as post-punk, but Television is in that odd space between post-punk and proto-punk, and Minutemen are pretty eclectic, mixing punk and post-punk with various other styles like funk and country. Marquee Moon and Double Nickles on the Dime are generally regarding as the best albums of their respective bands.

quote:

Maybe I'm a horrible mysogenist but I've never heard a good punk girl singer.

Don't feel too bad about it, kingcobweb is kind of biased toward female artists. (not saying that's a bad thing, just an observation)

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Tyorik posted:

I'm having a hard time finding bands like Disturbed.

I like the moderately heavy theme, with intelligible lyrics with even some funk-like riffs thrown in on occasion, while staying upbeat.

I suppose it's rock/metal or somesuch.

Edit: Also, I'm a complete NMD moron. Please forgive me. :cheers:

You'd probably like White Zombie and Helmet. They're both metal bands with upbeat tempos, syncopated riffs and clean vocals. Here are some of their more popular songs, (which you may already be familiar with)

White Zombie - Thunderkiss 65

Helmet - Unsung

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

LoudLoudNoise posted:

While recently re-listening to A Perfect Circle's Mer de Noms, I realized that I don't know of any other artist that has a similar sound. That warm, passionate, ethereal sound is what I love and I want more of it. Any recommendations?

You might like Hum. You'd Prefer and Astronaut and Downward is Heavenward are their best known albums and I'd say both are pretty "etherial".

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Yuravian posted:

Cherub Rock by the Smashing Pumpkins strikes me as having a similar aesthetic but I really don't like Billy Corgan's voice much, I'm particular about vocals. Can anyone recommend anything?

I mentioned it on the last page, but I think Hum would apply here too.You'd Prefer and Astronaut and Downward is Heavenward are their last albums but they were around as long as SP and there's some debate on who came up with the sound first but they are pretty similar, although Hum definitely has better vocals.

If you haven't already, you should definitely look into the shoegaze genre, especially My Bloody Valentine, who were a huge influence on both the aforementioned bands. Swervedriver is also worth looking into if you want shoegaze with more of a hard rock edge.

edit: I guess two recs for My Bloody Valentine are better than one.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 19, 2009

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Yuravian posted:

My roommate has a copy of Loveless, and I gave it 3 listens yesterday. I really can't get into it at all, I felt like the songs were very slow or spacey. Is there a shoegaze artist that uses more driving guitar, while still using a lot of feedback (I think it's feedback; the sort of sound at about 2:30 in 'Newport')? Swervedriver seems okay but I don't have much more than their myspace to go on.

Did you listen to Hum though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s7e32EOiCU

A lot their songs and even entire albums can be heard on youtube.

Regarding Swervedriver, I'd recommend their first two albums, Raise and Mezcalhead, both of which were reissued this year.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 21, 2009

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Some Alf DVDs posted:

Have you tried any of Dax Riggs's projects such as Acid Bath, Deadboy and the Elephantmen, or solo? Also Down (NOLA is great), and High on Fire (although i'm not a big fan, others are).

I'll second Acid Bath, but Agents of Oblivion is much closer to Acid Bath than Deadboy (which is more blues rock).

Admittedly I don't know that much about black metal but if you like WitTR you should check out Burzum. It's probably best to listen to his albums in chronological order since the latter ones were recorded in prison with a synth whereas the earlier ones have more varied instrumentation and mix black metal with ambient.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

btu posted:

I am looking for songs that are, dare I say free-spirited. Eg: Free bird, Ruby tuesday. Can anyone make any suggestions please?

You mean like Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild" or "Slow Ride" by Foghat? Because we have a thread just for that.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

OrganicRobot posted:

I'm looking for some really good guitar albums because I've recently got into King Crimson's Lark's Tongue in Aspic and Red. I love the guitar on both of those albums, but mostly in the split title track of Lark and the first song of Red. I'm not real interested in the cliche guitar-rock of Led Zeppelin and company, as I am in the lesser-known and less common stuff like Television's Marquee Moon. Any help would be appreciated.

I guess the obvious answers would be Fripp & Eno or Sonic Youth, but what you may be looking for is jazz-influenced guitar work in general. Sonny Sharrock's Ask the Ages is an all around great guitar album if you're looking for something different.

Schurik posted:

I'm looking for some melodic wall-of-sound stuff, to block out some unwanted poo poo in my head. I like and and have had good experiences with Radiohead (i.e. Everything in it's right place), some stuff by Moby, the one or other NIN song, stuff like that. As long as I can blare it over headphones, it maintains this wall of sound while stying melodic, it helps. Any suggestion is appreciated, no matter how outlandish.

If you want something that's both aggressive and melodic, try noise pop.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:4558
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_pop

Since you mentioned NIN, A Place to Bury Strangers used to open for them and they also have a new album out. There's also one of their biggest influences, The Jesus and Mary Chain, whose first album Psychocandy is generally regarded as their best. There's also the closely related, sometimes overlapping genre of shoegaze. My Bloody Valentine's Loveless is more or less the definitive shoegaze album, so it's the best place to start if you haven't heard it already.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Edawg06 posted:

I'm looking for albums/artists similar to the Buena Vista Social Club. Absolutely brilliant stuff and I'm jonesing for more of the same.

Afro-Cuban All Stars, Tito Puente, Orquesta Riverside, Eddie Palmieri, Mongo Santamaria. In broad terms you're looking for Cuban/Afro-Cuban music but in particular you might want to look for the genres son and salsa.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

baberaham lincoln posted:

Electromax posted:

Zeppelin Hendrix

Blue Cheer and Sir Lord Baltimore are two semi-under the radar hard blues rock bands from that era that rock hard. Both of them are usually tossed into the "proto-metal" classification along with Zep, Cream, and Hendrix.

Blue Cheer's first album Vincebus Eruptum and the compilation Good Times are so Hard to Find are good starter albums and you can get Sir Lord Baltimore's first two albums on one disc. There are more bands like these in this thread. Some might be more psychedelic or heavier than what you're looking for but you might like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

It's great that you want to learn more about music outside of continental North America and Western Europe but you seem misguided. It's as if you're saying "hey internet, I want a grab bag of the most exotic musical souvenirs you have," which is a shallow, touristy way to approach it. And like Farts Domino said, your examples aren't really heavily displaced from western music anyway.

Anyway I posted this two pages ago when someone asked for a Buena Vista Social Club rec.

Way Past Cool! posted:

Afro-Cuban All Stars, Tito Puente, Orquesta Riverside, Eddie Palmieri, Mongo Santamaria. In broad terms you're looking for Cuban/Afro-Cuban music but in particular you might want to look for the genres son and salsa.