Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MementoMori
Sep 3, 2008

Skilleddk posted:

I've recently listened to Björk, and was instantly hooked. Looking for more similar stuff, even though I know she's a very unique artist. Last.fm search didn't give much, I mean, Portishead and PJ Harvey are not similar at all.

Favorite album by her is Post if that helps, and favorite songs are Hyper-Ballad and Enjoy

Have you heard Kate Havnevik? http://www.myspace.com/katehavnevik Melankton, her first album, floats somewhere between Björk and Imogen Heap.

cods posted:

I"m looking for something like a female singer(or singers), maybe with a piano or something along those lines, that sings something really beautiful, melodic, and sad.

Loosest example I can give is Imogen Heap - Hide and seek.

These two have more of a Mazzy Star flavour, however...
Castlemusic is amazing. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=146738532
PICA PICA (pie-kah pie-kah) is another great one. http://www.myspace.com/picapicamusic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MementoMori
Sep 3, 2008

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

I'm not entirely sure how to describe the genre I'm looking for... somewhere between college rock and dance-pop. Thankfully, like everyone else in this thread, I made A LIST of bands :v:
  • Big Audio Dynamite
  • late-80s Public Image Ltd
  • Tom Tom Club
  • Oingo Boingo
  • The B-52's
  • Shriekback
  • Depeche Mode
  • Pet Shop Boys
Any recommendations? Dinosaur bands I haven't heard of would be good, but modern acts in this style (are there any?) would be even better.

Some of these might be pushing it just a bit, ha.

The Organ
The Sounds
The Chinese Stars
Siouxsie & The Banshees
Windsor For The Derby
Cansei de Ser Sexy
GRAVY TRAIN!!!!
Fischerspooner

MementoMori
Sep 3, 2008

IS A CRACKBABY posted:

So I need some music. I'm into many types of music, but my favorite has to be Indie/Folk, such as the following;

-Sufjan Stevens
-Neutral Milk Hotel
-Iron and Wine
-Fleet Foxes
-Andrew Bird
-Wolf Parade

Could I get some bands/artists that are similar to these?

- Six Organs of Admittance
- The Acorn
- Final Fantasy
- The Dodos (I'm currently in love with them)
- The Straw Bear Band
- Timber Timbre
- Destroyer
- White Magic

MementoMori
Sep 3, 2008

thetruancybot posted:

hey guise i'm getting into shoegaze, and i really enjoy Gala and Spooky by Lush and Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. what else should i check out?

For some bands from within the past 5-10 years: Try "Future Perfect" by Autolux, "Microcastle" by Deerhunter and A Place to Bury Strangers' ST and Shocking Pinks' ST album - "You Can Make Me Feel Bad" has a really nice Loveless feel.

MementoMori
Sep 3, 2008

Kai was taken posted:

I'm looking for something similar to Chairlift. They're the ones in the iPod Nano commercial.

I do not like the guitar rockish side of things, like Jem.
I do not like technopop, like Freezepop.
I do like the more drum-machined electronic side of things, like Imogen Heap.
I do like Delerium.

Anyone suggest anything?

Try Ms. John Soda either No P. Or D. or Notes And The Like or School Of Seven Bells - Alpinisms. Definitely get into Mates of State - Re-Arrange Us if you haven't already. And for an extra bit, anyone who has any interest in Imogen Heap or Bjork should give Kate Havnevik's Melankton a listen.

MementoMori fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 10, 2009