Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

chickensandwich posted:

I love all this stuff and bands like Ride/Chapterhouse/Pale Saints. Does anyone know some more modern shoegazey acts more like that than MBV-a-likes (I still like this, but prefer something closer to Ride)?

The Fleeting Joys released an album last year called 'Occult Radiance' that sounded pretty much like 'Loveless Pt. II'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGUhlhJOq5c <-- not from 'Occult' but the Fleeting Joys are really just trying to be MBV on every album. Not a bad thing, actually.

EDIT:
oh right, I came here to ask for more Oi recommendations. At this point I'm looking for that early, pop-ish sounding Oi like Cock Sparrer, Blitz, and The Business play. I'm enjoying the 4-Skins as well, but I'm mainly looking for something a little more up-beat like Blitz.

baberaham lincoln fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
check this and the subsequent posts

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Tweaker1 posted:

Might be a little bit vague.
I've been listening to

Air France
The XX

I like the really dreamy kind of background music a lot, and the soft vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HThCnCjikQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTPO6XM_IxM

Air France always reminded me of The Avalanches, but you probably already have their stuff...

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

alcoholiday posted:

I'm looking for music similar to Lou Barlow's work on the Kids soundtrack.

Both ambient stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1cU2hbnP30 -- the people in the comments there suggest Boards of Canada, I guess that's a good start. [Does anyone know what produces sounds like this? Maybe a synth flute reversed or something?]

I think Michael Andrew's soundtrack for Me and You and Everyone We Know fits this description. It's good. For awhile it was my most played on Last.fm because I got drunk one night, listened to it as I passed out, and left it on repeat for 12 hours.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Dominic R. posted:

something like Flipper - Album Generic. I want to feel and hear the same gently caress it, or oops there was a gently caress up? whatever gently caress it keep going. Good luck with it ;/

I've always thought groups like U.S Maple and Arab on Radar sounded like Flipper... but the best thing about Flipper is that the lyrics are so I'm not too sure what to say.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
Cocteau Twins - Treasure
Ride - Nowhere
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Chapterhouse - Whirlpool
The Drop Nineteens - Delaware
Swirlies - Blonder Tongue Audio Baton

newer stuff:
School of Seven Bells - Alpinisms
A Place to Bury Stranger - both of their albums
Fleeting Joys - Occult Radiance

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
I'm looking for 90's breakbeat hardcore/jungle/drum'n'bass recs. I started at a weird place, with Zomby's Where Were U In 92 and have enjoyed Bong-Ra, 2 Bad Mice, Grooverider (I've only heard Mysteries of Funk, which isn't really as dance-y as I had hoped) and (to a lesser degree) Plug. I'm a little intimidated by all the singles and dub plates out there, so albums or compilations would be better.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Poop Delicatessen posted:

A friend of mine got me hooked on Dan Deacon recently (specifically Bromst) and I'm hunting for similar stuff. Specifically, I really enjoy the "noisier" aspects of his music, and his tendency to slowly build on repetitive samples over time to go from simple melody to layered walls of sound.

Dan Deacon put up every album he released up until Spiderman of The Rings:
http://www.dandeacon.com/mp3/

If you're actually into noise and/or chip tune, this stuff will be right up your ally. A lot of it is pretty unmelodious.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

PDMChubby posted:

Since you guys helped so much last time (thanks a lot for that), I have another request. Last summer, I played Discovery's LP more than probably any other album. More recently, I found Neon Indian's Psychic Chasms and, while not as good as LP, I love the sound. I'm not sure what I like so much about LP (I think it may be the way the beats are constructed, like often cut out and going into half-time), but any sort of electronic indie with trippy sounds and instruments and sliced vocals or beats or whatever you want to call it would be awesome (I obviously don't know much about electronic). Thanks again.

Toro Y Moi and MillionYoung both have a sound that's kind of in between Discovery and Neon Indian IMHO.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

I've been getting into 80's hardcore a lot recently, what are some good contemporary hardcore acts? I only really know Gallows (urgh) and hosed Up from the past 5 years.

about 3ish years ago there was a huge explosion of 80's revivalist bands. Try:
Government Warning
School Jerks
Life Trap
Cloak/Dagger
Social Circkle
Double Negative
Chronic Seizure

As for just good hardcore bands, seconding Muy Picante and adding:
Vicious Cycle (bouncy, jangle-y hardcore sounds vaguely like Hidden World era hosed Up)
Regulations (sounds a lot like Brutal Knights imho)
Sinking Ships (super melodic hardcore)
Ceremony (there are some haters, but Violence Violence rules imho)
Failures (noisy super fast hardcore, almost on the verge of black metal and grind)
SQRM (Flipper had sex with Black Flag and pooped out the angriest child I've ever heard)

Tell me what you like and I can give you some more recs. BTW, I think Sinking Ships is the only band on this list not playing shows anymore.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Electromax posted:

So after Since I Been Loving You (Zep) and Red House (Hendrix) came on back to back earlier today I've been in the mood for some classic, rolling blues-rock tracks. Who might I look at to find whole albums of that style of slow long-play blues? I'm already pretty familiar with bands like Zeppelin, Hendrix, Cream, John Mayall, etc. Perhaps a bit more 'under-the-radar' types?

e: I also like Yardbirds if that helps :)

Blue Cheer and Sir Lord Baltimore are two semi-under the radar hard blues rock bands from that era that rock hard. Both of them are usually tossed into the "proto-metal" classification along with Zep, Cream, and Hendrix.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
For one reason or another, Brain Killer's demo sounds to me like a bit of Bad Brains worship. Honestly, it's pretty hard to find modern bands who sound a lot like Bad Brains (I'm thinking ROIR Sessions here). That's kind of what makes BB's so special. I'm sure someone else will be able to answer this question better than me, but I've got nothing at the moment.

EDIT:
Confine's demo was one of my favorite releases of 2009, it reminds me of a more raw/sludgy Career Suicide. Also, it's a free DL from the band! http://www.side-two.com/downloads.html

baberaham lincoln fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 15, 2010

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
For stuff like Black Moth:
Tobacco - hosed Up Friends (Tobacco is a member of BMSR and thus sounds like BMSR)
Flying Lotus - Los Angels
Toro Y Moi - Causers of This
Lotus Plaza - The floodlight collective
Truman Peyote - Light-Lightning (sounds more like Animal Collective, but I think you might enjoy it, the song Fishscraps owns)
MillionYoung - Sunndreamm EP

I could probably do better than this, but this is all that's coming to mind. I'll let you know if I can find more BMSR-ish stuff.

EDIT:
holy poo poo how could I forget Octopus Project. Get the Octopus Project/BMSR split and go from there, most of their stuff is good. Also, The Books - Lemon of Pink. Super super super trippy album.

baberaham lincoln fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 19, 2010

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

SMP posted:

I don't know if theres a real genre name for this, but I'm looking for a particular style of hip hop. I'm looking for hip hop with a middle eastern/asian sound to it. I only know of a few examples of what I'm talking about

1. DJ Spooky - ?. This is the best example of what I'm looking for.
2. Perhaps the theme from GTA: Chinatown Wars.
3. The Slumdog Millionaire Soundtrack was alright.

I really don't care for M.I.A. though.

Two Stones Throw releases that are heavily based on Indian samples:
Oh No - Dr. No's Oxperiment
Madlib - Beat Konducta, Vol. 3-4: Beat Konducta in India

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

JehovahsWetness posted:

Oxperiment was pretty much all Turkish & Lebanese...

Now guess which part of the U.S I was born in. Hint: we say 'y'all' there...

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
^^^
I hate the term 'glo-fi' and/or 'chillwave', but I think some of the drone-y artists that fall under that category might tickle your fancy. Have you listened to Ducktails s/t or Universal Studios Florida's 'Ocean Sunbirds'? And, of course, some of Animal Collective's early stuff plays with one groove, specifically tracks on Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished and Sung Tongs. Hope this helps!

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
That's kind of what I guessed, and in that case, I probably can't recommend anything you haven't heard before. Except maybe Truman Peyote's Light-Lightning and Blues Control's s/t (which is a bit more lo-fi and experimental than what you want, but they do often kind of take one groove and really dig into it the entire song). If you like Blues Control / Ducktails, you might want to track down a group called Reid and Wright, who did a split with JEFF the brotherhood like 2 years back, they've got that same synthy sound. I'm sorry that I can't be any more helpful than this!

edit :
2 more you've probably heard but I'll throw out anyway, Zomes s/t and City Center's s/t

baberaham lincoln fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 8, 2010

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Gio posted:

This is definitely what I'm talking about. Thanks!

OH, just stumbled onto one you might dig, the song Psychic Mesa by Total Slacker.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
RZA's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx PT II is awesome and you should get it.

edit: whoops, posting error

baberaham lincoln fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 13, 2010

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
Bad Acid Trip is probably up your alley, they sound like a little more raw SOAD.

EDIT: I forgot, they're actually on Serj Takian's label.

baberaham lincoln fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 14, 2010

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
I'm racist and got Raekwon mixed up with RZA, anyways OB4CL2 is awesome.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

I'm looking for good Chinese bands. For those of you who haven't studied Mandarin or Chinese culture, their music scene is virtually devoid of anything resembling "good". It's an ocean of terrible, trite pop and even worse rap. They have an odd definition of "rock", with the leading man being Xie Tian Xiao and Cold Blooded Animal.

there is an entire thread on this in phiz: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3087683

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I've been listening to the first four Ramones albums a lot again.

1. Besides the first four and live albums, what are some other good Ramone studio albums?

2. I want some more old school/70s/"proto" punk. No Ramones or The Stooges please.

MC5, The Sonics, Television, The Modern Lovers, and Death (the all black punk band, not the 80's death metal band) are all pre-77 groups, though I'm sure other people will have many more suggestions.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
The "holy trinity" of stoner are Kyuss, Sleep, and Electric Wizard. However, in terms of vocals, Ogre sounds more like stoner rock than stoner/doom metal. They take a lot from proto-metal. You might like Sir Lord Baltimore, Blue Cheer, Flower Travellin' Band, Frijid Pink, and (of course) Sabbath's Master of Reality. Additionally, you might like Annihilation Time though they are way more punk than metal.

I've got nothing in terms of instrumental bands, but I'm really into stoner / doom lyrics, so I've never actively searched them out.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Smoove J posted:

Oh No - Melody Mix

it's worth noting that Oh No is Madlib's younger brother. I mean, they don't end up sounding exactly the same, but its a fun little musical fact. If you like Madlib, especially his Soundtrack / India albums, you will probably like both of Oh No's full lengths.

Actually, based on your request, most of the stuff on Stones Throw is a safe bet. Also, based on your enjoyment of Endtroducing, I'd recommend Metaform. His album Standing On The Shoulders of Giants is very very similar to Endtroducing.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Master_Odin posted:

What are good Noise Pop/Rock groups? I've been getting into No Age recently and would like bands like them (or more hardcore noise poppy if that makes sense is fine). Dum Dum Girls is also a band I enjoy and fits that description as well I believe.

I think the Dum Dum Girls and No Age sound totally different, especially with No Age's ambient drone thing. Check out Times New Vikings, Japanther, and Lovvers. Eat Skull and Psychedelic Horseshit do the whole super lo-fi pop-punk thing, but take it to an extreme level, so you might not be as into them.

As for The Dum Dum Girls, they're pretty heavily rooted in early Twee / C86 stuff, so listen to shpladoinkle's recs and also check out:
The Aislers Set
Slack
Tallulah Gosh *** (this and Black Tambourine are the biggest DDG sound-alikes IMHO. Tallulah Gosh have several songs that could have been DDG material (The Girl With Strawberry Hair, Way of The World, Break Your Face)
White Town
and The Vivian Girls

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

dailydares posted:

Master_Odin, try Male Bonding and Pens. Also Wives, Randy & Dean's old band. It might also be worth your time to look into the whole Smell scene that No Age is associated with. You might enjoy Abe Vigoda and Mika Miko the most out of that scene, both these bands released records on Dean's label, Post Present Medium, and are pretty stylistically similar to No Age.

But like baberaham said, No Age really aren't that similar to Dum Dum Girls. In addition to what's already been recommended, a decent amount of the stuff on Woodsist/Captured Tracks record labels might be up your alley. Blank Dogs, Real Estate, Beach Fossils, &c. Dee Dee released a collaboration with Blank Dogs under the name The Mayfair Set which is pretty good, too. Best Coast and Grass Widow are also probably worth giving a listen.

You might enjoy Abe Vigoda if you're a No Age fan, but I wouldn't say they really sound alike. However, I totally forgot to mention Mika Miko and Wives, thanks.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
I feel like he might get a kick out of both Electric Wizard's 'Dopethrone' and Cursed's 'III' so suggest that and let me know what he says.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

dgt posted:

punk/crust/black metal crossovers

Ildjarn
Bone Awl
Malevilance
Devils Dung
Sump
Ash Pool

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

DividedFrame posted:

I'm looking for anything that isn't in English—the more obscure, the better! Something upbeat and poppy preferred, but I'm down for anything from rap to rock to techno, in anything from German to Chinese to Africaans. Go crazy!

You just cast the widest net ever, because, as it turns out, England, America, and Canada aren't the only countries who make "upbeat poppy music". Be more specific.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Kaiser Bill posted:

I'm looking for absurdly hardcore, really over-the-top metal songs. Like "Dig" by Mudvayne or "Blood Red Head on Fire" by Big Dumb Face. But not really like Cannibal Corpse, which is just speed metal with growling, at least to me. I want something so angry it makes the listener uncomfortable.

You might be into the album Allegiance by As Blood Runs Black.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
A Place To Bury Strangers (and their previous band Skywave), Ringo Deathstarr, Swervedriver, Swirlies, Medicine, The Manhattan Love Suicides, The Drop Nineteens, The Charlottes, and Whorl are all really underrated shoegaze bands that are on the noisier, more aggressive side of the spectrum.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Can anyone help me find some more noisy music like Jesus Lizard and The Flaming Lips from their earlier albums - or harsh punk music like The Cockney Rejects and The Exploited? I'm trying to build up a nice music list for running, so anything that really gets the adrenaline pumping is perfect. The biggest problem I encounter when finding matches for this is that the music will often be what I'm after, but then the singer will come in either shrieking or growling and ruin it. I'm okay with the general punkish screaming though.

For more Oi that sounds like The Cockney Rejects check out The 4-skins, Cock Sparrer, Blitz, The Angelic Upstarts, The Oppressed, Menace, and The Blood.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

EAT DOG TODAYYYY posted:

In addition, what are some core rap albums that self-proclaimed rap fans should sit down and listen to? I don't really know what I'm missing out on as far as classics go.

Classic rap albums:
Erik B and Rakim - Paid In Full
Boogie Down Productions (BDP) - Criminal Minded
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back
KRS-One - Return of the Boom Bap
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Gang Starr - Step In the Arena
Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous
Nas - Illmatic
Notorious B.I.G - Ready To Die
Black Star - Mos Def and Talib Kweli Are...

I mean, there are so many missing from that list it's not even funny. I have kind of ignored the West Coast and The South for many years now, so if someone wants to recommend the essential West Coast and Southern rap records to this EAT DOG and I, it would be much appreciated.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

qrj posted:

All of them.

They literally all sound the same, consist of the same subject matter, have the same song structure. This will probably be the easiest musical quest you have ever endured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_hardcore

Look pal, I'm not a huge fan of funk music, but I don't go making GBS threads allover the genre when someone asks for funk recommendations. Few, if any, of the bands listed on that page sound like Start Today. Did you even bother reading the heaping pile of poo poo you linked to? Additionally, your claim that all hardcore bands, "literally all sound the same, consist of the same subject matter, have the same song structure" is testament to your lack of knowledge about the genre.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I recently discovered Gorilla Biscuits "Start Today". What other hardcore records have a similar sound?

One of the unique things about Start Today is that it contains a poppy sound that wasn't replicated by many of their contemporaries. It's what makes GB one of the most accessible and influential bands in both hardcore and punk music. I think that 7Seconds 'The Crew' is probably something you'll enjoy. It was released 6ish years before Start Today, and contains a hard yet poppy sound that is similar to the one heard on Start Today. You might also enjoy Insted's 'The Bonds of Friendship' and Mouthpiece's 'Face Tomorrow'.

You should also check out Gorilla Biscuit's first EP. It's a little rougher and harder than 'Start Today', and closer to their '88 contemporaries. If you like that, dive headfirst into Youth Crew with Youth Today's 'Breakdown The Walls', Judge's 'What It Meant: The Complete Discography', and Chain of Strength's 'The One Thing That Still Holds True'.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Free Broken Glass! posted:

What are the best lyric search websites?

I have yet to be failed by Songmeanings.net, which has a surprisingly large and varied number of lyrics. It also has the fewest ads, which is nice.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Alferd Packer posted:

I'm looking for ultra-artsy experimental stuff that doesn't beat you over the head with the "dark" thing that I hear so many electronic bands do(Lunascape, etc.). The more obscure the better as I'm pretty familiar with a lot of the more popular bands of this type(Ecstasy of St. Theresa, Halou, etc).

Which era Ecstasy of St. Theresa are we talking? Because Pigment and Susurrate is just shoegaze...

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
Get everything by Beirut, especially the pre-March of the Zapotec stuff. The Lon Gisland EP and The Flying Club Cup are the best IMO.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Fonzarelli posted:

Can anybody help me out with some new garagey guitar driven indie rock? My ipod is getting kinda stagnant.

Something along the lines of:
The Soft Pack
Male Bonding
Titus Andronicus
Dinosaur Jr
BRMC
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

I know these bands aren't exactly all similar, but they're all guitar driven with some interesting sounds and textures, which is basically what I want. Also, maybe something a bit more obscure than these. Like, if its gotten a lot of coverage on the internet, I've probably heard it.

Firstly, if you only have The Soft Pack's s/t album, do yourself a favor and get The Muslims EP.
You'll probably enjoy bands like The Mummies, NEEDLES//PINS, Bare Wires, Daniel Pujol, The Smith Westerns, Golden Triangle, Ringo Deathstarr, The Swirlies, Weed Hounds, Neon Blud, Eric's Trip, Woven Bones, and Whirl. For the record, I'm not very familiar with Titus, BRMC, or Ted Leo, so I can't help you there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Purple Rain Man posted:

I just recently discovered The Postal Service (relatively old, I know), and was wondering what are some bands with a similar sound? Some of my favorite songs by TPS are "Such Great Heights", "This Place is a Prison", and "We Will Become Silhouettes".

It's a shame they didn't make more music than they did. :(

i srsly think you will like Plushgun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he7wa4Fw2Ts / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f5xtof4yXI)