Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

This might be bizarrely specific, but which version of Holst: The Planets should I get?

I can go for the London Symphony, the Berlin Philharmonic, the Royal Philharmonic, and so forth.

Is there a clear superior that I should spring for, or do they sound the same, in which case I'll just go for the cheapest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I need a great deal of guidance into he jungle of hip-hop. I know that I like it, but I don't know where to start with whole albums. The only artists I can say for certain that I enjoy are A Tribe Called Quest (whom I hope are not spat upon by the "real" rap community) and Wu-Tang Clan, and I only have a passing knowledge of the latter (I heard about 20 minutes of 36 Chambers and loved it, so maybe I should get that?)

Anyway, maybe one of you cats could help me out. I really am looking more for albums and artists (sub-genres if I'm feeling bold) rather than singles, but if there's a genuinely killer song that I need to know about, by all means inform me.

edit: also I like Kid Cudi a little. :ohdear:

Iraff fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 20, 2009

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Foiltha posted:

I want ambient/triphopish music that sounds post-apocalyptic, dark and depressing. Moody soundscapes and depressing melodies that sound like you're the sole survivor after a nuclear war. Any recommendations?

Godspeed You Black Emperor! sounds perfect for you. Very bleak and ambient. Most of their albums would fit, but f#a#(infinity)sounds exactly up your alley.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

LuckySevens posted:

Anyone know of some bluesy female singers like Fiona Apple? I love that kind of sexy voice and would love to hear some other artists like her.

More on the pop side, but Mozella has a beautiful bluesy voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8vbb69fL_Y

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

ChaoticSeven posted:

I guess I might need to come to terms with the fact that, maybe, nothing is being made anymore that I would like.

Well, it's hard when we don't know exactly what you like about the songs that you listed and I can't readily identify one thing that those songs all have in common.

R.E.M. is a crowd-pleaser, as well as the Arcade Fire, but again, you may despise these, because I don't know what you're looking for.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

:yum:

Iraff fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 21, 2013

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

HAI posted:

Uhh, you can't really combine dancehall vocals (like in the Pendulum song) with ska riddims... But maybe it isn't obvious if you don't know much about JA music.

God, I feel dumb. That wasn't so much me not knowing what I wanted, it was just me using horrible incorrect terms out of ignorance. These are perfect, thank you so much.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I've really been digging some shoegaze lately, but there are very few bands that I know about. I mostly have been enjoying Loveless (of course), Adorable's Against Perfection album, and some of M83's more shoegaze-y stuff. Where do I go from here?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I'd really like to get into some beautiful electronic ambient stuff. Can you recommend the genre staples? Or superb unknowns? Or anything that fits, I suppose.

I'd like to thank everyone who's helped with my previous requests. This thread is indispensable.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

You may like Tycho. Coastal Brake is excellent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PitnHzwigTA

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I don't know if it entirely fits, but I really dig JBM, and the whole time I was watching Crazy Heart, I was thinking of him. Cleo's Song in particular reminds me of the movie.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Diligent Deadite posted:

I saw 'Crazy Heart' the other night and quite enjoyed some of the downbeat country near the end. I'm already quite a big fan of Calexico and like the cinematic, world-hopping sound that they have too, so they might be a good 'guide band.' Basically I'm looking for some mournful country, ideally with some slide guitar because I'm a sucker for it, that steers clear of the cheese that I usually find off-putting.

MonkeeKong posted:

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy is the most mournful alt-country there is. It's extremely low-key, but it's worth a shot.

Say what you will about Pitchfork, but if they're right about one thing, it's Bonnie Billy. "I See a Darkness" is a good starting point.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I've been addicted to shhoegaze these last few months, but I sort of feel like I've gone through most of the classics. I've explored all of MBV, Slowdive, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, Ride, and the like. I'm also very familiar with popular nugaze like M83 and Ulrich Schnauss.

Can anyone recommend some lesser known shoegaze or nu-gaze?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I really love Kaskade's the Grand, but beyond that, I'm some what of a house baby. Can anyone give me some progressive/deep house recommendations (or any house in general tbh)?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I really am enjoying the Easy Star All-Stars cover albums (I hope that ESAS aren't reggae for babies :ohdear:) but they have really interested me in the reggae genre.
What's a good place to start, and if possible, what are good ways to stay up to date on new reggae?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

That was sort of a silly statement in retrospect. I should have known already that ESAS was Baby's First Reggae.

Still, I shelled out for Arkology and I'm digging it. Much obliged

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I really love Murder By Death and The Protomen's first album (I love the second album, too, but it's not the sound I'm looking for). I can't articulate what I hear in common between these two bands. I guess it's indie with hard rock elements? I don't know. If anyone has anyone idea of what the hell I'm saying, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Yoghurt posted:

I'm looking for something that sounds both a lot like m83 (particularly highway of endless dreams and moonchild) and this song by neon indian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_6uLlLqCrY

Any suggestions?

May not be exactly what you're looking for, but Jatun might rub you the right way.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Is microhouse worth getting into? Where do i start?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

FetusOvaries posted:

What bands are similar to Slowdive? I'm looking for the more dream pop side of shoegaze rather than the noisy abrasive stuff like MBV. All I've been listening to lately is Slowdive and Cocteau Twins.

Air Formation, Galaxie 500, and the Radio Dept are also good. Try Asobi Seksu if you like your dream pop dull and derivative with bland J-Pop vocals.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Braincrash posted:

Right now I'm liking alot of Shoegaze/Ambient/Noise/Punk, kinda like No Age, My Bloody Valentine, The Jesus and Mary Chain and Deerhunter

I like shoegaze but I get a bit sick of the dream poppy variety, can anyone recommend something a bit more aggressive and noisy?

maybe Astrobrite? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGHuu3TyHpk&feature=related

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

slowdave posted:

Anyone know what Mark McGuire releases I should check out first? I love Emeralds but I'm not too familiar with his works.

I've listened to a little less than half of what he has to offer, but I started with Pocket Full of Rain and it served me well. Also the Days of Thunder album he did w/ Skyramp

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

drunken officeparty posted:

Is there a name for what I would call 1920's steampunk jazz techno? Or anywhere I can find more? The few examples I have are specific parts of or specific songs from a just plain techno band.

Bassnectar- Churn of the Century is best one I can find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaFAjn2WRCw

e: Didn't realize this was a remix, but I can't find a original version online :( The message gets across though.

your description makes no sense to me, but it sounds about like every other Bassnectar song I've ever heard, so maybe try that?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with Carl Cox? Are there definitive mixes? Anyone else similar to him?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

if anyone could get me started with some garage/psych that would be great.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Dick Danger posted:

Entry level Hip Hop connoisseur signing in. I've been listening to nothing but hip hop for months now, but have very little in my library beyond Das Racist, Outkast, Deltron 3030 and a little Public Enemy.
What now?

there's not really a logical progression from one artist to the next. you really just have to figure out what you like. for instance if you like "bad" music like Das Racist you might like Die Antwoord. (just kidding) (a little)

most people just starting tend to like the "alternative hip hop" thing, so you would probably enjoy stuff like the Pharcyde, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, and the Roots.

i recommend going through the hip hop megathread, a fair bit of really good stuff goes through there.

also just look at stuff produced by J Dilla

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Any worthwhile UK Garage comps?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I'm loving Black Tambourine recently. Can anyone recommend some of the noisy twee stuff? I already know about The Pains of Being Pure at Heart.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

thanks fellas, The Shop Assistants in particular really hit the spot

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

what's a good jumping off point for Baltimore club?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Threatis posted:

newstyle or oldstyle? are you looking for more "bmore influenced" poo poo or straight up bmore club?

well, i've mostly been listening to Rod Lee's mixtapes, so whatever that is i guess?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

what sounds like The Red Planet collection?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Julianna Barwick is really cool and reminds me of Enya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBkTZb8WHMg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7lLfYBGRaA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX5Lhy0AFzE

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

who else is making stuff that sounds like Oren Ambarchi? The only thing I have is Grapes from the Estate so any other Oren recommendations are welcome

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

slowdave posted:

I rep him a lot, but pretty much everything by Leyland Kirby. V/Vm being his oldest and most hosed up alias:

ahhaha this Wham remix owns

Scelsi is really good for unsettling orchestral pieces if that's your jam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLi3xxxjHDc

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

can someone school me on Gil Scott-Heron? i love Pieces of a Man but i know a lot of his later stuff is of a real different style so i'm not expecting that per se.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

this is kind of meant for slowdave specifically but anyone can help out; where do i start with the finnish freak folk scene? i got and enjoyed Ullakkopalo by Kemialliset Ystävät

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

slowdave posted:

Well I think I'm just scratching the surface here but here's who I think are the most essential. I could write up some kinda primer with some effort but here I'm mostly just rambling and listing artists without connecting them or anything. I'm also probably forgetting a few important names

Probably start with Avarus. Jättiläisrotta is my fav lp of theirs but really all their stuff is good. Fun and crazy freakout jams with a pretty bizarre sense of humour.

River of Finland by Anaksimandros is a small classic.

Other good KY albums are Kellari Juniversumi, Alkuhärkä, Harmaa Laguuni and the Untitled album from 2007. But really all their stuff is pretty great. Get some Tomutonttu too, it's the KY main guy Jan Anderzén, the self titled and Tomutonto are both good. He also just released a new EP called Elävänä Planeetalla which might be one of the best things he's made. Seriously get it, it's so good

For more folky stuff check out Islaja, Lau Nau, Kuupuu, Pekko Käppi, Kutomo, Kulkija, Vapaa and Päivänsäde. Islaja is really good, she has only four albums under her belt so best to just grab all of them. The newest one sounds great from what I've heard. Lau Nau has two albums of really delicate, beautiful folk. I like her voice a lot, reminds me of the former singer of múm. Kuupuu makes drones that are almost a bit too introverted for me, but it's quite nice stuff nonetheless. Pekko Käppi plays jouhikko, and old Finnish string instrument. I haven't really listened to him but people say he's goood. I think he plays in some Islaja albums. Those others I listed have a slew of releases you might want to check out if you see them somewhere.

Uton makes drones, has collaborated with other artists as Hevoset, Aan and some other monikers and runs the label Ikuisuus. I haven't really listened to him either apart from a few tunes but he's quite good and prolific. His bandcamp page at uton.bandcamp.com has a whole bunch of releases you can check out.

Another quite important name is Keijo from my hometown. Again I'm not too familiar with his output but he's really prolific and has collaborated a lot. Most often performs as Keijo & the Free Players with a few other guys.

All these artists have tons of aliases and they like to colloborate and form new groups all the time which makes keeping up with the scene a bit challenging sometimes. But for a good general introduction you might want to check out the Fonal Records compilations Summer and Smiles of Finland & Surrounded by Sun. Lal Lal Lal and 267 Lattajjaa also have some compilations you should check out if you can find them anywhere.

I don't think Fonal Records have ever put out a bad release, actually. They have some really tight quality control or then I'm just biased. KY, Islaja, Paavoharju, Risto, Eleanoora Rosenholm, all good bands.

:cool: thanks dog, i'll get started

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

The Indestructible Beat of Soweto - Great South African folk, guest starring Ladysmith Black Mambazo

Half-Dreaming - A Japanese shoegaze comp

Lee Perry's Arkology

Quite literally anything from Soul Jazz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

The Rural Alberta Advantage did that for their whole album i think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GupdrkZMYpA