Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
So I've been trying to listen to more technoish (not sure this is the correct word to describe it) music lately. I finally came across an album that I absolutely love, but am having a lot of trouble finding anything similar to it. The album is Röyksopp's Junior album. I've tried listening to their other albums, but they just don't do it for me. I've also tried using Pandora and Last.FM, but since I can't specify the album from the band they haven't done me much good. I guess the main thing I like about the album are the nice upbeat songs with the female vocalists. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
I'm looking for some of the more psychedelicish (I'm not even sure if that's the right word to describe it) music that has some awesome harmonies (not required, but would be nice) as well. Some of the bands that I've found that I've liked are Dr. Dog, Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground, Fleet Foxes, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, and Rose Elinor Dougal. I went through some of the indie folk thread as well since I saw that one or two of the bands that I listed were posted in there, but I wasn't able to find much that I liked.

Any help would be appreciated :).

edit: To give some more information, some more bands that I really enjoy are Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Doors, The Byrds, Os Mutantes, Janis Joplin, etc.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Ras Het posted:

El Guincho, Caetano Veloso's first two self-titled albums, Erkin Koray's "Electronic Turkuler", Edip Akbayram's first s/t, The Edge: David Axelrod at Capitol Records 1966 to 1970, Nino Ferrer's "Métronomie", The Dø, Gang Gang Dance's latest album, Telepathe's LP, Dr John's first couple of albums.

Thanks for the recommendations! After listening to a couple of songs from each of those the only ones that I liked were Telepathe and Dr. John. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

greazeball posted:

I've started listening to Marty Robbins recently and that got me back into my Johnny Cash albums and a couple of compilations of old-time mountain music and outlaw songs.

I'd like to find some more collections of songs about remorseful gunslingers, hard-luck miners, lonely cowboys and the women who despair for them.

For reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGmUsJvRv7U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__3wWqMKg4I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW9uki8n3VE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKuc4nfJByc

Is there an old-time music thread or country & western thread? What genre should I be looking for?

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but you might want to look at Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, David Allan Coe, Charlie Daniels, Willie Nelson, Johnny Paycheck, Jerry Jeff Walker, and a couple of others that I'm sure that I missed.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

redjenova posted:

I'm looking for happy music!

I don't really care what it is, just whatever you personally find cheers you up or makes you feel good about whatever. I'm a big fan of upbeat electronic music but I've run out of stuff to listen to. Instrumental stuff is awesome. I've been needing to mellow out and try and improve my mood and I think this would help a lot.

On top of the bands that Davincie mentioned (which are very good), you should also check out The Apples in Stereo. Their music is pretty upbeat and poppy sounding, which I think you would like.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
Since you have a decent amount of artists that I listen to, I'll throw some artists out that you might enjoy. Check out:

Jefferson Airplane
Grateful Dead
Moby Grape
The Animals
The Kinks
Fleet Foxes
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
Dr. Dog
Janis Joplin

You'll have to let me know if you enjoy any of them!

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
What are some people who do good spoken poetry or something along the lines of The Doors' An American Prayer?

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Koaxke posted:

What are some people who do good spoken poetry or something along the lines of The Doors' An American Prayer?

Anyone? I'm pretty sure that there isn't much stuff like this out there, but just figured I would ask.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
What are some bands that have very organ themed songs like The Doors or The Animals (in House of the Rising Sun), etc.?

edit: I also should have added that the more psychedelic sounding it is, the better.

Koaxke fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 14, 2012

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Ehud posted:

I love this song by Frog Eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCSLdJkSeZg

It's pretty, but also sounds like a song written by an insane person. I like all of the layers of sound and frantic vocals. It's challenging to listen to but in a good way. What else might I like that has similar qualities? I already listen to the other Spencer Krug projects.

Captain Beefheart has already been recommended, but if you check him out definitely grab the album Trout Mask Replica. Another person that you may enjoy is Frank Zappa. If you check him out I would grab We're Only in it for the Money.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Selavi posted:

I'm guessing you already know Fly Like and Eagle?

Also, try some Sly and the Family Stone:
Underdog
Jane is a Groupee
Skin I'm In

While I do enjoy some Steve Miller, I'm not a big fan of that song. I hadn't really listened to Sly and the Family Stone, and while I like it it's not very organ centered. Thanks for the new artist though.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
What are some experimental/avant garde albums that are similar to Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica and Frank Zappa's We're Only in it for the Money?

Also, I'm still looking for psychedelic sounding bands that have a good organist (possibly with classical training?) such as The Doors and West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band.

edit:The Doors != The Door's

Koaxke fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 15, 2012

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

Have you listened to The Residents? The Third Reich 'n Roll is a great starting point if you enjoyed the satirical aspect of Zappa and want to hear '60s radio rock chewed up and spat out in a hilarious fashion. Duck Stab/Buster and Glen is probably their peak as an avant garde band. I'm also partial to the dark storytelling albums they did later in their career, like God in Three Persons and The River of Crime.

Also maybe check out avant-prog, especially anything Dave Kerman and/or Bob Drake were involved in. 5uu's, Thinking Plague, solo Bob Drake

I don't have much to recommend for organ-oriented psychedelic rock, but you didn't comment on my earlier recommendation of Frumpy, so I dunno if you missed that or not. Maybe earlier Deep Purple too?

I checked out Frumpy, but I couldn't get past the singer's voice. I don't know what it is about it, but I don't like it :(.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Koaxke posted:

Also, I'm still looking for psychedelic sounding bands that have a good organist (possibly with classical training?) such as The Doors and West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band.

I found what I was looking for. If anyone is interested check out The Graham Bond Organization, especially the album The Sound of '65.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Toriori posted:

I'm trying to get more into reggae, where to start? I just enjoy more laid-back but still good beats.

Have you checked out Bob Marley yet?

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Meeks Sisu posted:

Looking for some recommendations for rock music that has diverse instrumentation (like strings, piano, and horns). Something in the vein of Arcade Fire or The Protomen to name two bands that I've enjoyed recently.

While these may be a bit older than the bands that you listed, The Beatles' Sgt. Peppers and The Doors' The Soft Parade both have rather diverse instrumentation in their songs.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Toriori posted:

oh is that the guy who is playing soccer on all those shirts??

If you were being sincere, yes, thank you. I love Bob Marley and today while I was driving along it hit me and I was like "why haven't I looked more into reggae?"

I assumed that you had, but figured I would throw it out there on the slim chance that you hadn't. I'm actually in the market for some reggae myself, since that is the only reggae artist that I know of.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Farts Domino posted:

.....why would you respond with a recommendation for a genre you only know one artist of?

Why would you post something in a recommendation thread that doesn't ask for or provide recommendations, or add anything of value to the thread?

For content, what are some more afrobeat bands such as Fela Kuti?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
I'm still in search of artists that are similar to Captain Beefheart. I really enjoy the style Trout Mask Replica and Lick My Decals Off, Baby, but haven't been able to find anything similar to either of them outside of Zappa and Beefheart. Anyone know of anything else that I should check out?

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

Looking at the music I have now, I still kinda dig Yes, especially Close to the Edge. I like the Beatles but I've heard all their music so much it's not that interesting now. Same for Pink Floyd, and the Shins (though I might like their new album). I also like a lot of jazz and swing music in general, but I don't know where to start with that.

If you enjoy the psychedelicy style of The Beatles and Pink Floyd you could try checking out The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Procol Harum, Cream, Country Joe and The Fish, and Moby Grape.

As far as jazz/swing style I can't be as helpful without more knowledge of the styles that you enjoy, but some solid artists that never fail to impress are Sun Ra, Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, and John Coltrane. Do you have a specific style of jazz that you prefer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

Another thing I'm looking for though is recent acts that sort of fall into the same zone - I ran across Beardfish in the prog rock thread and they're pretty much what I mean, long-form music with balanced and varied sound, but more modern. I don't want to end up thinking that music stopped being good after 1979!

Try Dr. Dog (specifically the album Fate!), Tame Impala, and Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground (their first album is their best imo).

edit: Another solid jazz recommendation is Charles Mingus.

Koaxke fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 25, 2012